PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-8

Lip Man 1
10-07-2006, 11:41 AM
October 8, 1948 - Frank "Trader" Lane is recruited out of the Big Ten Conference and takes over as the new General Manager of the White Sox. Lane would go on to become one of the greatest G.M.ís in team history. Among the players acquired by Lane, who made over 230 trades in his Sox tenure, were such future All Stars as Nellie Fox, Sherm Lollar, Billy Pierce, "Chico" Carrasquel and "Minnie" Minoso. Lane built the club that would go on to win the pennant in 1959.

October 8, 1983 - With the Sox down two games to one in the playoffs, Jerry Dybzinski overruns second base after a single by Julio Cruz in the 7th inning of a scoreless game at Comiskey Park.. In the ensuing rundown Vance Law is thrown out trying to score what would have been the go ahead run. The Sox wind up losing the game and the series on a home run by Tito Landrum in the 10th inning 3 - 0, spoiling a masterful pitching performance by Britt Burns. (Law explains his reaction to what went on and why he thinks 'The Dibber' over ran second base in his White Sox Interactive interview)

October 8, 1993 - With the Sox down two games to none in the A.L.C.S. Wilson Alvarez pitches a gem and beats the Blue Jays 6 - 1. The complete game victory is badly needed and gives Sox fans a reason to keep hoping.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/6d/c5/21_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/JERRY-DYBZINSKI-1984-TOPPS-AUTO-BASEBALL-CARD-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ8702087532QQihZ015QQcategoryZ73396QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin g)

Lip

Britt Burns
10-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Tito ------- Landrum. What I remember about that game was how gutsy Britt pitched. Being 12 at the time, I sulked until April after that game.

SoxSpeed22
10-07-2006, 03:33 PM
"Winning Ugly" definitely uglied their way out of a pennant with those kind of mistakes, granted that I wasn't alive for it, but if you ask me, it really shouldn't have come down to ****in' Landrum.

batmanZoSo
10-07-2006, 03:35 PM
"Winning Ugly" definitely uglied their way out of a pennant with those kind of mistakes, granted that I wasn't alive for it, but if you ask me, it really shouldn't have come down to ****in' Landrum.

It also shouldn't have come down to Carlos ****ing Guillen or Paul ****ing Abbott or Juan ****ing Guzman.

flo-B-flo
10-07-2006, 09:59 PM
October 8, 1948 - Frank "Trader" Lane is recruited out of the Big Ten Conference and takes over as the new General Manager of the White Sox. Lane would go on to become one of the greatest G.M.ís in team history. Among the players acquired by Lane, who made over 230 trades in his Sox tenure, were such future All Stars as Nellie Fox, Sherm Lollar, Billy Pierce, "Chico" Carrasquel and "Minnie" Minoso. Lane built the club that would go on to win the pennant in 1959.

October 8, 1983 - With the Sox down two games to one in the playoffs, Jerry Dybzinski overruns second base after a single by Julio Cruz in the 7th inning of a scoreless game at Comiskey Park.. In the ensuing rundown Vance Law is thrown out trying to score what would have been the go ahead run. The Sox wind up losing the game and the series on a home run by Tito Landrum in the 10th inning 3 - 0, spoiling a masterful pitching performance by Britt Burns. (Law explains his reaction to what went on and why he thinks 'The Dibber' over ran second base in his White Sox Interactive interview)

October 8, 1993 - With the Sox down two games to none in the A.L.C.S. Wilson Alvarez pitches a gem and beats the Blue Jays 6 - 1. The complete game victory is badly needed and gives Sox fans a reason to keep hoping.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/6d/c5/21_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/JERRY-DYBZINSKI-1984-TOPPS-AUTO-BASEBALL-CARD-PSA-DNA_W0QQitemZ8702087532QQihZ015QQcategoryZ73396QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohostin g)

Lip I remember my Dad and my uncles arguing about Franky Lane like the way we go at it in here about KW. Years later when I became aware, they would STILL bitch loudly about the guy.

The Dibber really screwed up. Graffanino reminded me of him. Their pitching completely stymied the Sox. What a great season that was. The only gigantic bull**** I can remember was ON TV.

I thought there were gonna be many years of Alvarez dominance. That was a great performance. That team was getting better and better.

PaulDrake
10-08-2006, 05:58 PM
October 8, 1959. A lousy rotten day to be sure, but historical to say the least. Lopez went with Wynn on 2 days rest as Billy Pierce stayed in the manager's doghouse for the entire series.

WisSoxFan
10-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Oct. 8, 1993 - my 30th birthday. I swear the score was 8-1 as I did shots for every run the Sox scored and one of my "so-called" friends snuck in a bottle of 100% proof Root Beer Schnaps. Of course my recollection of the final score may have been clowded by the alcohol I consumed.

Oct. 8, 1983 - my 20th birthday. I was bummed for quite some time after that loss. Fortunately the drinking age was 18 at the time in Wisconsin so I was able to drown my sorrows legally.