PDA

View Full Version : Catalanotto for LF in '07?

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Just wondering what ya'll might think of that idea... He's lefty, got a pretty good OBP and AVG, not much on speed though based on SB's. Seems like he hussles whenever I see him play... I know its early to start talkin about this but I would pretty much assume Pods is gone... Might be a decent replacement although he will be 33 next year... Could be just the bridge player we need between getting Sweeney/Owens ready in a couple years... Gonna be a FA but not sure what kinda contract demands he'll have... Discuss...

jabrch
10-07-2006, 03:48 PM
No thanks...He's a terrible hitter against lefties, he's not particularly durable. He's a 4th OF. Take a look, in his career, he's never played over 133 games a year. I'm not really interested in that. Either let's upgrade big, or go with Sweeney.

DickAllen72
10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
No thanks...He's a terrible hitter against lefties, he's not particularly durable. He's a 4th OF. Take a look, in his career, he's never played over 133 games a year. I'm not really interested in that. Either let's upgrade big, or go with Sweeney.

If they did get him, Ozuna could start against lefties.

buehrle4cy05
10-07-2006, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't mind having a guy like Catalanotto, but we need a leadoff hitter who can steal bases. At best, Catalanotto is a #2 hitter and he doesn't have a whole lot of speed.

southside rocks
10-07-2006, 09:41 PM

Ozuna's an infielder. He's an outfielder in a pinch, and never when defense is a priority.

shoelessshaun27!
10-07-2006, 11:06 PM
No way!

BiggestFan14
10-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I have always liked him as a ballplayer, so I would not be apposed to the idea at all.

Sox Fan 35
10-08-2006, 12:05 AM
I think he would make a good 4th outfielder.

SABRSox
10-08-2006, 02:10 AM
I think he would make a good 4th outfielder.

Scott Podsednik would make a better 4th OF.

Domeshot17
10-08-2006, 02:41 AM
sabr, been sayin it for a few weeks now, Pods is the ideal fourth OF

He will very cheap come arbitration, give you a 260-280 average off the bench, can play all 3 OF positions, can pinch run for the cloggers we have (and boy do we have some cloggers) is a team player, probably wouldnt bitch about playing time, and on top of EVERYTHING ELSE, he is a guy who may do well after some down time to rest up, and if someone got hurt or struggled, could step in, and play well.

Rockman218
10-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Ozuna is better than Pods in the outfield and at the plate

Go with Ozuna and save your money

DickAllen72
10-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Ozuna's an infielder. He's an outfielder in a pinch, and never when defense is a priority.

Not when Ozzie is the manager.

Dan the Man
10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Can he bat leadoff? That's my only concern, if he can, then get him. He's kiled the Sox, and he always makes contact. Catalonotto is a good ballplayer, and if the Sox get him, it is an upgrade.

Frater Perdurabo
10-08-2006, 05:27 PM
I like Catalanotto a lot for what he can do at the plate. He's not much of a fielder, though. He's sort of an upgraded version of Rob Mackowiak; the kind of guy you have to "hide" somewhere on the field.

He fits in better on teams that don't have a full-time DH. He can play part-time in left field and grab a few starts here and there at second base, but any team that has to play him full-time in the field is hurting their defense.

If the Sox signed Catalonotto, Mackowiak would almost have to go because the Sox definitely would have to find a decent right-handed backup CF who also could play LF against LHP, especially with all the good LHP in the AL Central.

I'm not obsessing over this at all, but a guy like Aaron Rowand would be the perfect complement to Catalanotto because he could get a decent amount of starts in left and in center, spelling both Anderson and Catalanotto.

Britt Burns
10-08-2006, 06:07 PM

The offense would be good, but I am not sure if a Cat/Ozuna platoon would be better defensively than Pods was this year...and that is saying a lot.

JB98
10-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Great, it really is 2004 all over again. Here come the FOBBs to recommend we get Catalanotto because of his high OBP. Personally, I'm counting the days until Catalanotto retires so people on this board will stop suggesting we acquire him. Catalanotto is crap. He's a horrible defensive player. He is so slow that the Blue Jays pinch-ran for him on several occasions this year, including twice against the Sox. Did you pro-Catalanotto people not notice that? We sure as hell don't need another baseplugger, especially one that plays corner OF and produces NO POWER whatsoever. Not to mention, he's injury-prone.

People on this board are in love with the guy because he once had a five-hit game against the Sox. So ****ing what? Jeff Blauser always used to kill the Cubs, so the Cubs went ahead and acquired him. How did that move work out?

This thread blows. Next.

jabrch
10-09-2006, 07:50 PM
I like Catalanotto a lot for what he can do at the plate.

What exactly does he do at the plate? Specifically, what does he do against lefties, or outside of the comfort of Skydome and The Ballpark at Arlington? The answer, of course, is nothing. He takes lots of pitches, which I guess is nice. But he doesn't hit, he can't field, and he can't play every day.

I think the best place for us to put him is in the visitors dugout. He blows.