PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-7

Lip Man 1
10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
October 7, 2001 - Sox All Star outfielder Magglio Ordonez becomes the first player in American League history to have a season with a .300 average, 40 doubles, 30 home runs, 100 RBI’s and 25 stolen bases. His hit against the Twins goes for his 40th double and the record.

October 7, 2005 - At Fenway Park the White Sox win their first post season series of any kind since 1917 by beating Boston 5 - 3. Paul Konerko’s two run home run gives the Sox some breathing room and then pitcher Orlando Hernandez saves it. Entering into a bases loaded, no out, one run lead situation in the 6th inning, ‘El Duque’ gets two pop outs and a strike out. It was an amazing performance. 'Hocus Pocus goes Hernandez!'

http://i21.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/2c/d3/3c_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Orlando-Hernandez-Chicago-White-Sox-Signed-16x20_W0QQitemZ170035375051QQihZ007QQcategoryZ2726 5QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Lip

soxfanatlanta
10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
October 7, 2001 - Sox All Star outfielder Magglio Ordonez becomes the first player in American League history to have a season with a .300 average, 40 doubles, 30 home runs, 100 RBI’s and 25 stolen bases. His hit against the Twins goes for his 40th double and the record.

October 7, 2005 - At Fenway Park the White Sox win their first post season series of any kind since 1917 by beating Boston 5 - 3. Paul Konerko’s two run home run gives the Sox some breathing room and then pitcher Orlando Hernandez saves it. Entering into a bases loaded, no out, one run lead situation in the 6th inning, ‘El Duque’ gets two pop outs and a strike out. It was an amazing performance. 'Hocus Pocus goes Hernandez!'

http://i21.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/2c/d3/3c_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/Orlando-Hernandez-Chicago-White-Sox-Signed-16x20_W0QQitemZ170035375051QQihZ007QQcategoryZ2726 5QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

Lip

I'm very fond of these memories. El Duque was filthy!

PaulDrake
10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm very fond of these memories. El Duque was filthy! The umpire was squeezing him, which makes it all the more impressive.

NoShoesJoe
10-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Ah, so recent, so sweet. The memory is as alive today, as it was when it was happening.

Iwritecode
10-06-2006, 01:34 PM

I remember driving home from work trying to listen to the play-by-play in between the crackles of static on AM1000.

I had knots in my stomach and caught myself driving a good 10-15 miles under the speed limit a few times because I was concentrating on hearing the calls.

Britt Burns
10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
That El Duque inning...wow. I have never been so nervous/excited/scared out of my mind/thrilled during a baseball game. That was my 'We just might win the whole thing' moment...

LuvSox
10-06-2006, 01:58 PM

That's one of those moments that I'll remember where I was when they won that game. Kick Ass!

Paulwny
10-06-2006, 02:03 PM
That El Duque inning...wow. I have never been so nervous/excited/scared out of my mind/thrilled during a baseball game. That was my 'We just might win the whole thing' moment...

Exactly what I was thinking, an unforgettable pitching performance.

Flight #24
10-06-2006, 02:09 PM
IMO the single most clutch pitching performance I've ever witnessed in the playoffs. Up there with Jack Morris 10-inning game in the WS.

batmanZoSo
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I remember driving home from work trying to listen to the play-by-play in between the crackles of static on AM1000.

I had knots in my stomach and caught myself driving a good 10-15 miles under the speed limit a few times because I was concentrating on hearing the calls.

That's one of those moments that I'll remember where I was when they won that game. Kick Ass!

That was the only time I was really nervous and unsure in the playoffs. We still hadn't won a single playoff series in 88 years at that point after all. But after that, I knew we were really gonna do it.

I was at my cousin's house watching the inning that seemed like it took an hour. I must have went through a pack of cigarettes in that one inning.

Baby Fisk
10-06-2006, 03:22 PM

Lip

I had the privilege of watching this game with a gang of rowdies at Monk's Pub in the Loop. That Glorious 6th inning did indeed go on for an hour. After the third out, we knew there was no way the Sox would not win the world championship in 2005. After the game, I walked around the Loop in a giddy haze for a while, exchanging knowing smirks with other Sox fans who happened by. ****, that was an awesome time. :gulp: :bandance:

CARMINE KILLER!

LuvSox
10-06-2006, 03:29 PM
After the third out, we knew there was no way the Sox would not win the world championship in 2005.

That's when I knew it too. I was driving to a banquet in rush hour traffic listening. I don't remember traffic at all, just the pictures in my mind of the game. You're right, that was an awesome time!

Madvora
10-06-2006, 04:46 PM
That moment with The Duke is definitely my favorite Sox memory.
That's too bad he couldn't pitch in the playoffs this year. I was really looking forward to watching him again.

hi im skot
10-06-2006, 04:55 PM
That was the only time I was really nervous and unsure in the playoffs. We still hadn't won a single playoff series in 88 years at that point after all. But after that, I knew we were really gonna do it.

I was at my cousin's house watching the inning that seemed like it took an hour. I must have went through a pack of cigarettes in that one inning.

If I recall correctly, that entire inning was well over an hour.

That moment...simply unbelievable.

batmanZoSo
10-06-2006, 05:32 PM
If I recall correctly, that entire inning was well over an hour.

That moment...simply unbelievable.

Yeah, I probably should've used an eternity. Modern playoff baseball, gotta love it.

hi im skot
10-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I probably should've used an eternity. Modern playoff baseball, gotta love it.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to come off as a smartass there. :smile:

"Eternity" might even be an understatement.

And, of course, we have Damaso to thank for putting us in that situation!

kingpin_rcs
10-06-2006, 06:29 PM
I just watched the DVD of this very moment last night. I too remember being petrified during that inning. It was the only time during the entire post season that I was going out of my mind nervous.

Tony Graff's at-bat was 10 pitches.

TDog
10-06-2006, 06:36 PM

October 7, 2005 - At Fenway Park the White Sox win their first post season series of any kind since 1917 by beating Boston 5 - 3. ...

Lip

I hated the phrase "first title of any kind since ..." when the national media started throwing it around for the Cubs in 1984. Maybe the Chicago media used it for the White Sox in 1983, but I lived in Arizona and the national media wasn't as excited about the Sox. I am so glad I don't hear "of any kind" in reference to the Sox anymore.

batmanZoSo
10-06-2006, 06:54 PM
I hated the phrase "first title of any kind since ..." when the national media started throwing it around for the Cubs in 1984. Maybe the Chicago media used it for the White Sox in 1983, but I lived in Arizona and the national media wasn't as excited about the Sox. I am so glad I don't hear "of any kind" in reference to the Sox anymore.

I'm not superstitious, but the phrases "of any kind" and "[blank] outs away," should be banished from the broadcasting lexicon.

Hitmen77
10-06-2006, 07:23 PM

I agree that the whole "first postseason series win since..." is BS. Before 1969 there was just the World Series and no other playoffs. It's not like the Sox went 88 years without failing to win an ALDS.

rookie
10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
That moment with The Duke is definitely my favorite Sox memory.
That's too bad he couldn't pitch in the playoffs this year. I was really looking forward to watching him again.

Same here. I went through such a wide range of emotions during one inning it was incredible. I can still hear my sister cursing Marte in the living room. That was by far one of the most awesome feats I've watched.

October26
10-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Same here. I went through such a wide range of emotions during one inning it was incredible. I can still hear my sister cursing Marte in the living room. That was by far one of the most awesome feats I've watched.

I was watching the game with my dad that Friday night. My father was the person who taught me to love the game of baseball, love the White Sox and keep score. My dad was CALM during that "El Duque inning" while I was a nervous wreck. I was pacing like a caged animal and cursing (not something I often do) non-stop. To help me get through it, he made me a home-made scorecard and had me try to keep score of that inning, just so that I would stop hyperventilating. I could barely hold my pencil, I was so crazed. I was very happy when that game ended because I knew we were watching something special. What I didn't realize then was that there was more magic to come in the month of October of 2005. :bandance:

Dan the Man
10-07-2006, 01:22 PM
During that at-bat against Johnny Damon, I really didn't know what was going to happen. I was thinking that flippin Damaso set El Duque up for disaster, but my gut kept telling me that he was gonna get him. I was watching the game with my dad, and we were both pacing across the family room like crazy. When Damon did that little check swing on a breaking ball in the dirt on like the 35th pitch of the AB, my dad and I jumped up, yelling cheering, high-fiving. We knew then that no one could stop the Sox. :bandance:

And guys, no love for Mags?

1951Campbell
10-07-2006, 03:19 PM
It's corny, but after that inning, I knew we were going to win it all.

batmanZoSo
10-07-2006, 03:31 PM
It's corny, but after that inning, I knew we were going to win it all.

We looked like 90s Yankees teams at that point, and throughout. No matter what you did, we had something better. We were gonna win, period.

SoxSpeed22
10-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Same here. I went through such a wide range of emotions during one inning it was incredible. I can still hear my sister cursing Marte in the living room. That was by far one of the most awesome feats I've watched.On that note, does anyone else think that Marte was getting badly sqeezed? When El Duque came, he was falling behind in the counts too, they just helped him out with those pop-ups.

kingpin_rcs
10-07-2006, 08:27 PM
On that note, does anyone else think that Marte was getting badly sqeezed? When El Duque came, he was falling behind in the counts too, they just helped him out with those pop-ups.

If you watch Guillen while Damaso was walking guys he seems to be screaming at Marte "Throw the ball over the ****ing plate!". Later it looks like he is yelling at the umpire but at first I think he is yelling at Marte.

starboy0
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
If you watch Guillen while Damaso was walking guys he seems to be screaming at Marte "Throw the ball over the ****ing plate!". Later it looks like he is yelling at the umpire but at first I think he is yelling at Marte.

I also thought he was yelling at Marte. It was only when the announcers said Ozzie was yelling at the umps that I questioned my first impression.