PDA

View Full Version : AJ's Broadcasting Career

FielderJones
10-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Cubune reports AJ to join Fox (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0610060324oct06,1,2762877.story) for ALCS.

Nothing on Fox Sports website yet.

mantis1212
10-06-2006, 12:13 PM
that's AWESOME

Jjav829
10-06-2006, 12:15 PM
It will be interesting to see what he says.

Speaking of current players announcing, did anyone else like Eric Byrnes on BBTN? I thought he was really good.

oeo
10-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Speaking of current players announcing, did anyone else like Eric Byrnes on BBTN? I thought he was really good.

I thought Vernon Wells, Eric Byrnes, and Gary Matthews Jr. were all better than Tino Martinez and Mullet Brantley.

I just told my brother the other day that it would be cool to have AJ on BBTN...FOX must have been listening in.

Jjav829
10-06-2006, 12:19 PM
I thought Vernon Wells, Eric Byrnes, and Gary Matthews Jr. were all better than Tino Martinez and Mullet Brantley.

I just told my brother the other day that it would be cool to have AJ on BBTN...FOX must have been listening in.

I didn't see Matthews. I thought Wells was solid, too. A different style than Byrnes, but still effective.

Myrtle72
10-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh, I am so excited. :D:

INSox56
10-06-2006, 12:38 PM

I thought Byrnes was really good but he talked A LOT.

esbrechtel
10-06-2006, 12:42 PM
i read that in the paper today....cant wait to see what he says

SoxFan78
10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Too bad he wont be in the booth with Joe and Tim, that would be some great television!

goon
10-06-2006, 01:25 PM

word. i thought wells did an excellent job.

jenn2080
10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
That is awesome. I am definately watching those and at home so I can hear. :D: :bandance:

Scottzilla
10-06-2006, 01:46 PM
i thought wells was good
byrnes didnt seem to add much.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
I heard they are going to increase the delay to two minutes.

Oblong
10-06-2006, 02:04 PM

Yes, I thougth Brynes was very good, outside of his outfit. He put Ravech in his place after MN lost to Oakland. Paraphrasing it went:

Ravech: "Maybe if Santana brought his A game they wouldn't be down 0-2".
Byrnes: "Well he only gave up 2 runs, what more can he do?"
Ravech: "Not give up any"
Byrnes: (Pause): "well I'd like to hit .450"

I think AJ would be good. He won't spout out conventional wisdom and tired cliches like many other jocks.

INSox56
10-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Yes, I thougth Brynes was very good, outside of his outfit. He put Ravech in his place after MN lost to Oakland. Paraphrasing it went:

Ravech: "Maybe if Santana brought his A game they wouldn't be down 0-2".
Byrnes: "Well he only gave up 2 runs, what more can he do?"
Ravech: "Not give up any"
Byrnes: (Pause): "well I'd like to hit .450"

I think AJ would be good. He won't spout out conventional wisdom and tired cliches like many other jocks.

I laughed my ass off and agreed when that happened. I dunno if Ravech actually thought that...they sometimes do set-ups like that on TV or radio where one person will mention something that's completely wrong (that a lot of the public may think is the case) and have an "expert" shoot it down and illustrate a point.

I think Wells was on BBTN last year...pretty sure bout that...

tacosalbarojas
10-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I laughed my ass off and agreed when that happened. I dunno if Ravech actually thought that...they sometimes do set-ups like that on TV or radio where one person will mention something that's completely wrong (that a lot of the public may think is the case) and have an "expert" shoot it down and illustrate a point.

I think Wells was on BBTN last year...pretty sure bout that...
I think you're right about Vernon. They were both top notch. I know a couple of analyst jobs they could fill in town...of course, we could use Vernon more in CF...

PushinWeight
10-06-2006, 02:59 PM
This is actually pretty cool! Too bad he won't be calling any games kinda like Mike Piazza did for our games last years. (I think it was the ALCS games)

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-06-2006, 03:10 PM
When can we listen to him?

The Critic
10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I didn't see Matthews. I thought Wells was solid, too. A different style than Byrnes, but still effective.

Matthews Jr. was solid, but seemed a bit nervous. His voice would crack a little bit every once in a while, but he was very good otherwise.

digdagdug23
10-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I was impressed with both Wells and Matthews, they actually seemed to enjoy themselves, and that in turn reflects on the broadcast.

Now someone take a sox and shove it in Joe Buck's mouth.

HotelWhiteSox
10-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Liked both Wells and Byrnes (less though because I just generally dislike him), didn't hear Matthews. But yeah, some nice insight other than the usual 'uhhh they need good pitching and some offense'.

Scottiehaswheels
10-07-2006, 01:03 AM
I actually was talking to Mr. Roboto about this months ago in regards to what current Sox player we could see as a broadcaster in 20 years or so and we both kind of agreed that A.J. would probably be that guy... So this is pretty cool... Can't wait to see how he does..

October26
10-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Cubune reports AJ to join Fox (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0610060324oct06,1,2762877.story) for ALCS.

Nothing on Fox Sports website yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing AJ on tv. I enjoyed listening to the radio and his weekly talks with Mike North this past season. AJ tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat anything, that's for sure! :cool:

DickAllen72
10-07-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing AJ on tv. I enjoyed listening to the radio and his weekly talks with Mike North this past season. AJ tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat anything, that's for sure! :cool:
He's also one of the most well-spoken athletes around.

chisoxfanatic
10-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Awesome! I wonder what controversy he'll start this time. He's gonna be a great addition to the crew. AJ rocks.

I want Mags back
10-07-2006, 05:21 PM
i might habe to watch now for his insights

infohawk
10-07-2006, 08:04 PM

I thought so, too. He's got the charisma thing going for him. He could very well have a career in broadcasting someday if he were to devote himself to it.

buehrle4cy05
10-07-2006, 08:42 PM

They all offered some great insight into the playoffs, especially Wells and Byrnes. Matthews seemed a little shy at first, but as the show went on, he offered some solid insight. I guess it's because they aren't employed by ESPN yet, so they can have brains.

AJ in the ALCS would be awesome. That would be an extra incentive for me to watch.

shoelessshaun27!
10-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I'll be watching.

DumpJerry
10-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I'd rather watch him playing in the 2006 ALCS.

thomas35forever
10-07-2006, 11:59 PM
ESPN will get ready to blow anything controversial he might say out of proportion.:D:

SOXintheBURGH
10-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Watch him turn out to be a FOBB.

I'm pretty excited actually.. just looking at AJ makes me feel happiness.

rookie
10-14-2006, 03:30 PM
He's also one of the most well-spoken athletes around.

I'd rather watch him playing in the 2006 ALCS.

I almost forgot he was doing this, too bad it was only the pregame. I thought he was better than the other guy. He talks fast, put gets to the point and is funny. He also said that he'd rather be where the A's and Tigers are right now.

Then they said that they didn't feel sorry for him since he's already gotten his ring, which they showed close up. :smile: And of course they showed AJ's controversial play from last year's ALCS game 2. And AJ is rooting for the Tigers - he said he's gotta root for the AL Central.

MUsoxfan
10-14-2006, 04:20 PM
And AJ is rooting for the Tigers - he said he's gotta root for the AL Central.

His wisdom is everlasting

DumpJerry
10-14-2006, 05:45 PM
AJ is rooting for the Tigers - he said he's gotta root for the AL Central.
Of course he is rooting against the A's. His favorite former team is right across the bay from Oakland.

SOXintheBURGH
10-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Of course he is rooting against the A's. His favorite former team is right across the bay from Oakland.

Did you ever hear about that story in San Francisco when AJ kicked a trainer in the balls?

DumpJerry
10-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Did you ever hear about that story in San Francisco when AJ kicked a trainer in the balls?
Yeah. He was aiming for Baroid, but....well we all know one of the side effects of steroids.....