PDA

View Full Version : Roeper says Hawk getting old

Fenway
10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Richard Roeper suggests Hawk needs some retooling

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/84868,CST-NWS-roep05.article

"That's a can o' corn." "Suck 'em up, Joe." "Rack 'em up." "He JUST missed it." "Grab some bench." "He gone!" "The Sox put up a big crooked number . . . ."

Hawk uses more cliches and would-be catchphrases than any other 10 baseball announcers together.

After all these years, I'm still not exactly sure what "hang wuff 'em" really means.

"Cinch it up and hunker down." "Be a two-strike hitter, 24." "Chopper two-hopper." "Right size, wrong shape." "This ballgame is OVA." "The Carmines." "The Twinkies." ARGH!!!!!

jackbrohamer
10-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I think Richard Roeper's getting old. How many columns can a single person write about what's on the billboard he passes when he leaves his condo?

soxfanatlanta
10-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm not a member of FOHH, but he's really not that bad. At least he's not a cookie cutter announcer like our friends at Fox.

Frater Perdurabo
10-06-2006, 12:20 PM
It's a shame that a such a skilled play-by-play guy like Pat Foley is doing Wolves games. With all apologies to the Wolves, they are a minor-league franchise (then again, the Blackhawks have been run like one for years).

I'd like to see the Sox sign Pat Foley to do radio or TV PBP, if he is interested.

Fenway
10-06-2006, 12:21 PM
"The Carmines." LOL nobody in Boston ever uses that term

INSox56
10-06-2006, 12:37 PM
It's a shame that a such a skilled play-by-play guy like Pat Foley is doing Wolves games. With all apologies to the Wolves, they are a minor-league franchise (then again, the Blackhawks have been run like one for years).

I'd like to see the Sox sign Pat Foley to do radio or TV PBP, if he is interested.

I'd love to get Gary Horn(Thorne?) for PBP. The guy's amazing for hockey and pretty good with baseball.

LuvSox
10-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd love to get Gary Horn(Thorne?) for PBP. The guy's amazing for hockey and pretty good with baseball.

Good call. I enjoy games he works.

He did games for the Sox in 88, I believe.

Oblong
10-06-2006, 12:47 PM
I think Richard Roeper's getting old. How many columns can a single person write about what's on the billboard he passes when he leaves his condo?

HA! I read Roeper every day and you are spot on. I never realized that.

Hangar18
10-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Hawk does Re-invent himself as the years go by. Roeper probably doesnt realize it. He doesnt say Grab Some Bench as much as he says He Gawn. His new phrase this season? This Game is Ovah!

tacosalbarojas
10-06-2006, 01:00 PM
If you're tired of Hawk, try listening to some of the other guys around MLB. I have the Extra Innings package, and some of those guys are just plain out awful...the Tigers guys I listened to more than I wanted to this summer, and as Hawk would say "not good".

23Ventura
10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Hawk does Re-invent himself as the years go by. Roeper probably doesnt realize it. He doesnt say Grab Some Bench as much as he says He Gawn. His new phrase this season? This Game is Ovah!
I prefer "Grab some bench" to "He Gone." Hawk does have many catch phrases that he only started using recently. I don't ever recall "Suck 'em up, Joe" untill this year. Also, it was maybe only 2 years ago when he started saying "Get up, Stretch!" when a ball would be close to being a home run. A few years ago, instead of saying "This ballgame is OVA" he would say "You can send this one to Cooperstown." I also haven't heard him say "That's a home run in an elevator shaft" when a high pop-up was hit in a very long time. He used to say that. Or one of my favorites, whenever a beach ball went onto the field,
Hawk: "I love beach balls"
Wimpy: "I hate beach balls"
Apparently DJ has no opinion on beach balls because they never say that anymore. Either that or people never bring beach balls to the park these days.

Steelrod
10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
He got "This game is Ovah" from the Iron Chef!

paciorek1983
10-06-2006, 01:15 PM

We had Gary Thorne back in the 80's when Rooney went from tv to radio.

Jerko
10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Gary Thorne is fine, but he has this annoying little habit of relying too much on the media guide, which in turn causes him to announce players as being on the wrong team because he goes by their uniform numbers. I can see it now; Sox vs. Rangers, and Gary Matthews Jr. being referred to as "Paul Konerko". He does that a TON in hockey.

caulfield12
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I prefer "Grab some bench" to "He Gone." Hawk does have many catch phrases that he only started using recently. I don't ever recall "Suck 'em up, Joe" untill this year. Also, it was maybe only 2 years ago when he started saying "Get up, Stretch!" when a ball would be close to being a home run. A few years ago, instead of saying "This ballgame is OVA" he would say "You can send this one to Cooperstown." I also haven't heard him say "That's a home run in an elevator shaft" when a high pop-up was hit in a very long time. He used to say that. Or one of my favorites, whenever a beach ball went onto the field,
Hawk: "I love beach balls"
Wimpy: "I hate beach balls"
Apparently DJ has no opinion on beach balls because they never say that anymore. Either that or people never bring beach balls to the park these days.

Agreed...remember "cutting and slashing" with Warren Newson or Paco Martin?

The shout-outs to all the various cities like Gary, IN, that are/were part of the network....Hamtramck, yes!

They've got some of my money in _________.

"Bow your neck" is somewhat new.

I always loved Paciorek's accents....that'sa not so good.

Norton, you're the greatest!

You can cancel the postgame show and pick to click have been around forever.

This game IS OVAH is relatively new, GRAB some BENCH and You can put it on the board, yes! are getting less usage.

Gas! High cheese! You can hang out your clothes on that curveball of Zito's....

Cinch her up and hunker down.

Scuffling.

Just missed it. (On almost every flyball hit by any of the middle of the order hitters). Or just got under it.

I love Dove Bars.

Not as many mentions of the Bertucci Boys.

MrRoboto83
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Gary Thorne is fine, but he has this annoying little habit of relying too much on the media guide, which in turn causes him to announce players as being on the wrong team because he goes by their uniform numbers. I can see it now; Sox vs. Rangers, and Gary Matthews Jr. being referred to as "Paul Konerko". He does that a TON in hockey.

Being a broadcaster that doesn't do the same team everyday, you have to rely on the Media guide. He would be a lot better if he broadcasted the Sox every day.

Jerko
10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Being a broadcaster that doesn't do the same team everyday, you have to rely on the Media guide. He would be a lot better if he broadcasted the Sox every day.

True. He does do multiple sports and can't know everybody, but he really is annoying on hockey telecasts. And if Jani Ninnimaa and Teppo Numminnen are in the same game, forget it. :o:

paciorek1983
10-06-2006, 01:29 PM

I luv Hawks terms for teams. I don't care if anyone else uses them. I make up my own terms for things in life as well.

cbotnyse
10-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I am a fan of both RR and hawk. And we all get old. :cool:

23Ventura
10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Agreed...remember "cutting and slashing" with Warren Newson or Paco Martin?

The shout-outs to all the various cities like Gary, IN, that are/were part of the network....Hamtramck, yes!

They've got some of my money in _________.

"Bow your neck" is somewhat new.

I always loved Paciorek's accents....that'sa not so good.

Norton, you're the greatest!

You can cancel the postgame show and pick to click have been around forever.

This game IS OVAH is relatively new, GRAB some BENCH and You can put it on the board, yes! are getting less usage.

Gas! High cheese! You can hang out your clothes on that curveball of Zito's....

Cinch her up and hunker down.

Scuffling.

Just missed it. (On almost every flyball hit by any of the middle of the order hitters). Or just got under it.

I love Dove Bars.

I just remembered a few more
"I love it when you analyze."
"Sit back, relax, and strap it down"
"You can hang all the drawers in Cook County on that line drive"
"Ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet"

batmanZoSo
10-06-2006, 02:12 PM

I don't think anyone here would use "palehose" if it weren't for him. I can't stand either term myself.

LongLiveFisk
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't think anyone here would use "palehose" if it weren't for him. I can't stand either term myself.

Same here....why not "ivory hose" then? :?:

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't think anyone here would use "palehose" if it weren't for him. I can't stand either term myself.Chicago sportswriters used to use "Palehose" a lot back in the fifties and sixties.

getonbckthr
10-06-2006, 03:54 PM

As a hockey announcer Foley is great but baseball is too slow paced for his style.

hi im skot
10-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Didn't one of them die earlier this year?

Perhaps that has something to do with it...? :?:

Lip Man 1
10-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Thorne did the Sox on TV in 1989 the next season he was the lead broadcaster for ESPN's Baseball.

Lip

eastchicagosoxfan
10-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I like Hawk. As other posters have indicated, he's original, much better than most, if not all of the other guys out there, and he does come up with new material.

Daver
10-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Ken Harrelson does not need to re-tool, he needs to re-tire, the guy is laughably bad.

He's good for one thing, spouting the company line.

Parrothead
10-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Ken Harrelson does not need to re-tool, he needs to re-tire, the guy is laughably bad.

Very true. Hawk is almost as bad as Santo these days.:o:

LuvSox
10-06-2006, 06:57 PM

:thumbsup:

SluggersAway
10-06-2006, 07:55 PM
If you're tired of Hawk, try listening to some of the other guys around MLB. I have the Extra Innings package, and some of those guys are just plain out awful...

I am here to second this comment 100%, Hawk and DJ are nowhere near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to annnouncers in the MLB.

They have enthusiasm and some semblance of fun when they are out there and that is much more than you can say for many of the others.

Roeper needs to look around the league a little and comeback with an informed opinion.

Sox fans in Chicago don't want to know what they are missing.

Gavin
10-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I like him enough but he needs to ride off into the sunset.

HotelWhiteSox
10-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I like Dan Schulman

paciorek1983
10-06-2006, 11:04 PM

Oh here you go again. I know you don't like the guy, but I'd like to know who you'd have announce. And I'd like more than one answer if you don't mind.

paciorek1983
10-06-2006, 11:10 PM
I like Dan Schulman

Why?

I'd almost agree with you except for one thing that drives me crazy with him. He has a "hard tounge". I don't know how else to explain it, but he puts alot of "d's" and "da's" in the middle of words.

Here's an example: "Jim E-da-munds" he says it pretty fast, but I always catch it. He says the "idding". He does alot of that type of thing and I can't listen to the guy. I've tried many times over the years when he's done Sunday Night Baseball on the radio and I always end up having to turn it off.

If he ever became the Sox tv or radio announcer I'd most definitley have to turn it off. If he became the voice of both, I'd never be able to watch or listen to a Sox game again.:(: And for some reason, I have a feeling he will be hired by the Sox one of these days.

Sox-o-matic
10-07-2006, 02:05 AM

While it can be annoying to listen to Hawk for an entire game, especially when the Sox are getting their butts handed to them and Hawk starts blaming the umps, talking about breaks, how the team needs rhythm, etcetera, I'd never trade him.

Those few calls he's made over his career that have been so huge stick into your mind as a Sox fan. His infamous "Come on Timo!" call was awesome, his Joe Crede walkoff call against the Indians last year was huge, and I loved the "...because damn it, your good!" call when we clinched last year.

It's funny because I often listen to the game thinking about how great it would be if we had a different team in the booth, but deep down I know that whoever is the new PBP man when Hawk is gone will only disappoint me on his major calls.

BTW, as much as I love Rooney, I thought his call on the final out of the World Series was weak and not very memorable. I'd kill to have heard Hawk just call that one final out if nothing else.

vegyrex
10-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Very true. Hawk is almost as bad as Santo these days.:o:

Hawk is miles above Santo.

Timmy D's
10-07-2006, 07:15 PM
As a hockey announcer Foley is great but baseball is too slow paced for his style.

Yeah, that'd be like baseball on crack!!

One Hawk term that I never understood(but felt stupid asking, so I'll ask now), is what the hell does Bolingbrook bounce mean?? I know what it means in relation to what happened to the batted ball on the field, but why did he come up w/ "Bolingbrook" for it?? Anyone from Bolingbrrok that knows the story behind this one, please enlighten me.

shoelessshaun27!
10-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Hes the best, he just needs a better partner... maybe a certain Steve Stone....

Frontman
10-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Hawk doesn't annoy me anywhere near the level of the national broadcasters. The ESPN broadcasters are just plain horrible. For God's sake, we have TADAHITO IGUCHI (two words) not "Taguchi" as our second baseman. And no, Joe Buck, just because your Cardinals didn't win last year there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to have the annoyed sound to his voice, "And the White Sox win Game 2."

Now, Hawk is rough and gruff, but I'd take him over most of the other crews, and like many have said, DJ and him have fun; making our experience fun.

And Roeper writes without research. Ever get a chance, ask him about his comments about the "Racist bus" that was on exhibit at the Chicago Children's Museum in the 90's. Probably never listened to a Sox broadcast. Either that, or he confused Hawk with Chris Berman..................

Front

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Hawk is miles above Santo.Seriously. There is no way you can even compare Hawk to Santo. Santo's contribution to a game is "oh, no. Jeez. Come on."

23Ventura
10-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Yeah, that'd be like baseball on crack!!

One Hawk term that I never understood(but felt stupid asking, so I'll ask now), is what the hell does Bolingbrook bounce mean?? I know what it means in relation to what happened to the batted ball on the field, but why did he come up w/ "Bolingbrook" for it?? Anyone from Bolingbrrok that knows the story behind this one, please enlighten me.
I'm not sure but I think I remember Hawk saying that this was the name of a golf course he played at where the ball always took nice bounces for him.

RadioheadRocks
10-08-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm not sure but I think I remember Hawk saying that this was the name of a golf course he played at where the ball always took nice bounces for him.

Speaking of golf, I know he and Wimpy used to do their "shout out" to one of the towns and their cable service during each SportsChannel game (i.e., "Time Warner Cable and their subscribers in Lafayette... Lafayette, YES!!!"), then Hawk would always follow it up with "They got my money in Lafayette!"

(note: my example is most likely not accurate as far as the location and the cable provider go, but it's merely to illustrate the schtick the Hawk and Wimpy used to do on each SportsChannel telecast)

jenn2080
10-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Richard Roeper suggests Hawk needs some retooling

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/84868,CST-NWS-roep05.article

While I thought Hawk was a little whiney toward the end and rightfully so, he is a hell of a lot better then some of these announcers. Roeper needs to find something else to write about.

scottyl
10-08-2006, 11:08 PM
So he wants Hawk to stop being Hawk...NO THANKS!

White Sox Randy
10-09-2006, 01:49 PM

That's why Hawk is special! I say "hangwiffem" !

rdwj
10-09-2006, 02:05 PM
It will be a sad day when Hawk finally hangs it up. I'm hoping it doesn't happen for a long time. As far as Roeper goes, he could leave tomorrow and I'd never notice.

BadBobbyJenks
10-09-2006, 06:57 PM

For a guy laughably bad, hes got a decent amount of fans....

Dan H
10-10-2006, 09:29 AM
For a guy laughably bad, hes got a decent amount of fans....

Sometimes this no accounting for tastes.

soxinem1
10-10-2006, 09:35 AM

I thought he was too excited for the other teams HR's and winning plays when he was here in '88.

Then again, after the ASB, the 1988 White Sox were not that exciting for anyone.........

Jerome
10-10-2006, 09:45 AM
I never really cared for Hawk. He gets irritating after a while. All this makes me realize how much Rooney will be missed.