PDA

View Full Version : Sox Youth Movement?

nodiggity59
10-05-2006, 10:34 PM
KW has commented recently about "getting younger", with that in mind, i thought about how the Sox would be if they traded their over 30 players with good trade value.

Say trading Contreras, Garcia, Vazquez, and Dye.

Perhaps getting back Dontrelle Willis, Carl Crawford, Heilman, and another young pitcher back. Obviously, these players would have to be acquired with prospects from trading our other guys.

Possible? Perhaps not. It's already been a long offseason :redneck

SABRSox
10-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Possible?

In a word, no.

CashMan
10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
The Marlins with a 14mill payroll, would take on money?
What are you giving up for Crawford?
What makes Heilman so special?

thomas35forever
10-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Dumb idea. Why would you trade Dye after he had an MVP-caliber year?

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Any dramatic changes will occur either at mid-season next year, but more likely, before the 2008 season.

This is our last year to really go for it with the majority of the club intact and in one piece.

If we come up short, KW will trade the veterans who aren't in the "big picture" and you will see Fields, Owens, Broadway, Sweeney and Haeger taking more prominent roles, along with McCarthy and hopefully Anderson.

But in general, Iguchi, AJ, Dye, Konerko, Crede, Garcia, Vazquez and Contreras will be replaced in the next 2-3 seasons. That's nothing earth-shattering or surprising.

Uribe, Crede, Garland, Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Buehrle (?) and a couple of others will be mixed with the youngsters and whoever KW can acquire by selling off the veterans.

Everything depends on how the team does next year. For this year, you will only see a change in LF, the bullpen, one of the bench players and one of the starters. Tweaking. After that, all bets are off as far as July, 2007, and where we stand.

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM

In some ways, it's logical, in the sense that he's one of our most valuable assets...coming off a Top 5-10 MVP vote and he's very affordable as well.

If you look at his injury history, his age...well, it's hard to imagine his value ever being higher.

Of course, we don't have a LFer or CFer, so it is exceedingly difficult to part with the one sure thing we seem to have out there.

That's the job of a great GM, to determine when to trade the most valuable pieces in order to get something even better (for 3-5 years down the line) in return.

Anyone can say, let's trade Pods, Cotts, Riske, Uribe, Anderson, almost any of our starters...the tough decisions are trading the player(s) with the highet value, such as Konerko, Crede, McCarthy, Garland, Jenks, Thornton, etc.

michned
10-05-2006, 11:22 PM
In some ways, it's logical, in the sense that he's one of our most valuable assets...coming off a Top 5-10 MVP vote and he's very affordable as well.

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now. Actually, it makes perfect sense. Buy low, sell high (think Rowand for Thome). I don't think Jermaine's value will ever get higher. But he would need to be replaced with an established major leaguer, not just a kid.

Horsemaster Fred
10-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Pan has earned his horsewhupping and has vowed to take it like a man. Can any of these men say the same? Hark, the cry of the wildebeest conjures anger in my heart, and the sharpening of my horse-blades. Tremble not, ye sox. I have come for the hide of Dusty B

Scottzilla
10-13-2006, 02:26 PM
wow cant follow that.

Frater Perdurabo
10-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Pan has earned his horsewhupping and has vowed to take it like a man. Can any of these men say the same? Hark, the cry of the wildebeest conjures anger in my heart, and the sharpening of my horse-blades. Tremble not, ye sox. I have come for the hide of Dusty B

He's back!

:rolling:

Sox-o-matic
10-13-2006, 05:22 PM
I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now. Actually, it makes perfect sense. Buy low, sell high (think Rowand for Thome). I don't think Jermaine's value will ever get higher. But he would need to be replaced with an established major leaguer, not just a kid.

There's a difference between buy low/sell high on a player like Dye. Rowand wasn't even bought, he came from within. We sold him when his value was high, but only because we could do better all the way around.

We can not do any better than Dye. No chance in hell. Jermaine was the best defensive RF I personally saw in baseball last year, and he definitely was the best offensive right fielder in baseball last year. There is no major league RF right now that I would take over Dye.

JD's 2005 season was more of a sell high type thing, not his '06 season. That was a 'keep him unless you're an idiot' season. The Sox are not the Marlins or the Pirates so they will keep him. We have enough starting pitching on this team to get top prospects and if KW wants prospects, starting pitching will be what he will use to get them.

Sox-o-matic
10-13-2006, 05:22 PM

You have groupies now.

Congratulations.

thomas35forever
10-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Wow. So this is my first encounter with the (in)famous Horsemaster. I was just reading that one thread today. You know which one.

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I like the idea. Im all for it. PERIOD.:redface:

JB98
10-13-2006, 09:11 PM

Maybe the Cardinals will sell high on Pujols too.

thomas35forever
10-14-2006, 01:26 AM
I like the idea. Im all for it. PERIOD.:redface:
:tealpolice: