PDA

View Full Version : Which Leadoff Man Are The Sox Most Likely To Acquire?

Thome25
10-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Who do you honestly believe KW will go out and get to bat leadoff in 2007?

I know everyone is hoping and praying that we go out and get Carl Crawford from TB. But do you HONESTLY feel in you gut that he'll be the one wearing silver and black next season?

If not, then who do you think will be batting leadoff next season and why? How will we acquire that player? Through a trade? or FA sigining?

I'll start the discusson off. I hope that Crawford will be with the Sox next season but, I honestly believe the Sox will do one of two things:

A.) Sign Juan Pierre

B.) OR Re-sign Scott Podsednik.

I'll even rank the possible leadoff men in order of likelyhood that they'll be with us next year:

1.) Juan Pierre
2.) Scott Podsednik
3.) Dave Roberts
4.) Ryan Freel
5.) Carl Crawford
6.) Other

What do you think?

jenn2080
10-05-2006, 09:14 AM

I know everyone is hoping and praying that we go out and get Carl Crawford from TB. But do you HONESTLY feel in you gut that he'll be the one wearing silver and black next season?

If not, then who do you think will be batting leadoff next season and why? How will we acquire that player? Through a trade? or FA sigining?

I'll start the discusson off. I hope that Crawford will be with the Sox next season but, I honestly believe the Sox will do one of two things:

A.) Sign Juan Pierre

I'll even rank the possible leadoff men in order of likelyhood that they'll be with us next year:

1.) Juan Pierre
2.) Scott Podsednik
3.) Dave Roberts
4.) Ryan Freel
5.) Carl Crawford
6.) Other

What do you think?

I want to say that I read on here that Carl Crawford is signed for the next few years with his current team. So that is a no go. If Juan Pierre gets a uniform that fits then sign him up. I do not know much about the other 2 to make any valid decisions about those 2.

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 09:16 AM

A.) Sign Juan Pierre

1.) Juan Pierre
2.) Scott Podsednik
3.) Dave Roberts
4.) Ryan Freel
5.) Carl Crawford
6.) Other

What do you think?

Voted for Pierre, Dave Roberts is a close 2nd.

There are some "potential" leadoff men all around baseball, but it's hard to take a chance on an inexperienced player or even someone like Ryan Freel, who's coming from the NL.

For instance, Catalanotto or Reed Johnson would make the OBP saber people happy, but they don't add much speed or put pressure on the opposing pitcher.

You go back and forth, because it's a lot of money and talent you will have to give up for a leadoff hitter who's been shifted into the 3 spot with TB.

I don't think KW will give up McCarthy, I don't think TB will accept Haeger or Broadway instead. Pierre only costs money, not a salary and talent given up, like the Cubs learned the hard way.

Thome25
10-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I want to say that I read on here that Carl Crawford is signed for the next few years with his current team. So that is a no go. If Juan Pierre gets a uniform that fits then sign him up. I do not know much about the other 2 to make any valid decisions about those 2.

That's hilarious how you always rip on Pierre because his uniform doesn't fit.:D:

BTW, I hope I'm eating crow when it comes to that quote of mine you have in your sig.

If it comes to a White Sox player doing well, I'd gladly eat a huge plate of crow.

soxfan13
10-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Yeah and trades are never made. I would love to see the Sox gor after Crawford but I think it will be Pierre!!

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 10:03 AM
That's hilarious how you always rip on Pierre because his uniform doesn't fit.:D:

BTW, I hope I'm eating crow when it comes to that quote of mine you have in your sig.

If it comes to a White Sox player doing well, I'd gladly eat a huge plate of crow.

Ummm....doesn't Garcia also look like he's wearing pajamas?

Thome25
10-05-2006, 10:15 AM

That's a good point. He does wear his uniform a little too big.

spiffie
10-05-2006, 10:34 AM
I'd rather keep Podsednik than go out and overpay for Juan Pierre. And I'd rather have about 80% of MLB than Scott Podsednik. I like the Dave Roberts idea. I love the Carl Crawford dreams. I could be happy with Catalanotto.

INSox56
10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Voted FOR Roberts because he'll be cheap and a veteran (that reeks of KW). I HOPE for either Freel or Crawford, followed by Pierre, but hoping and getting are two different things. What Pierre and Roberts give you is FA...you don't have to worry about losing more via trade. Assuming that we trade a SP+player(s) for a SS or pen help.......

jenn2080
10-05-2006, 10:54 AM

Yes as a matter of fact he does. Maybe Freddy, Pierre and Manny all get their uniforms from the 2 sizes to big store.

Thome25
10-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Wow in the poll, it's pretty close between Pierre and Crawford.

samram
10-05-2006, 11:19 AM
I'd rather keep Podsednik than go out and overpay for Juan Pierre. And I'd rather have about 80% of MLB than Scott Podsednik. I like the Dave Roberts idea. I love the Carl Crawford dreams. I could be happy with Catalanotto.

Same here. Actually, if they could find a SS who could hit leadoff (not sure who that would be, but theoretically), I wouldn't mind Catalanotto hitting second with Iguchi moving down to 7th or 8th.

The Dude
10-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Why is Scotty Pods even on this list?:?:

getonbckthr
10-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Trade Mccarthy, Owens and either Haegar or Broadway for Crawford. Then trade Uribe and Pods to St Louis for our new #2 hitter David Eckstein and Adam Wainright.

DSpivack
10-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Trade Mccarthy, Owens and either Haegar or Broadway for Crawford. Then trade Uribe and Pods to St Louis for our new #2 hitter David Eckstein and Adam Wainright.

The Cards would never go for that; what a rip-off. Is Eck a free agent?

A. Cavatica
10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Other (Catalanotto being a good possibility, but I wouldn't rule out Crisp or Youkilis, seeing as the Red Sox can absorb one of our SP salaries).

Of your choices: Podsednik, Pierre, Roberts, Freel, Crawford in decreasing order of probability.

Jjav829
10-06-2006, 10:22 AM
My guess is that Roberts is the most likely of those listed to be here. But maybe KW has someone else in mind that we're not even thinking about...

Beautox
10-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Garcia (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=150119) to the Yankees for Melky Cabera (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=466320) (22 years old and a switch hitter) who is in a packed OF that is locked up till 09 or beyond with Matsui, Damon & Abreu, along with the following pitchers Scott Proctor (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=429984) and J.B. Cox (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=J.B.%20Cox&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=460079)

Next year this is what i think Melky will put up(provided hes not used as a 4th OFer) .285+avg .365OBP 400SLG, 15-20SB/6CS 15HR. Hes only 22 and power is the last tool to devlop he already has great plate discipline and sterling defense.

SoxSideIrish
10-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Garcia (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=150119) to the Yankees for Melky Cabera (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=466320) (22 years old and a switch hitter) who is in a packed OF that is locked up till 09 or beyond with Matsui, Damon & Abreu, along with the following pitchers Scott Proctor (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=429984) and J.B. Cox (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=J.B.%20Cox&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=460079)

Next year this is what i think Melky will put up(provided hes not used as a 4th OFer) .285+avg .365OBP 400SLG, 15-20SB/6CS 15HR. Hes only 22 and power is the last tool to devlop he already has great plate discipline and sterling defense.
That's an interesting thought. I'm not sure I agree with the projected stats, but he definitely has the tools. From the little that I saw of him this season, he is an exciting player to watch and should grow to good things.

And KW does like taking people from the Yankmee's.

Tragg
10-10-2006, 08:37 PM
sorry double post

Tragg
10-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Did someone actually vote for Juan Pierre???????

He's had OBPs of .330 and .326 the last 2 years. That's horrible - that's 2002-2004 White Sox baseball. We have no chance with that level of production at the top.

The Cards would never go for that; what a rip-off. Is Eck a free agent? The Cards may not go for it, but Eckstein's nothing close to a top-shelf ballplayer. And as bad a year as Uribe had offensively, he still had a better OPS to Eckstein. (not much, but better).

Palehose13
10-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I want it to be Crawford, but I think it'll be Podsednik.

Sargeant79
10-10-2006, 08:58 PM

I would love that move, but would the Yankees go for it? It's a trade that makes sense for both teams, but I seem to remember them thinking very highly of Cabrera and rejecting some deals involving him during the year. Also, I know Cabrara is fast, but is he a leadoff hitter?

Beautox
10-11-2006, 01:40 AM
I would love that move, but would the Yankees go for it? It's a trade that makes sense for both teams, but I seem to remember them thinking very highly of Cabrera and rejecting some deals involving him during the year. Also, I know Cabrara is fast, but is he a leadoff hitter?

Well there are only two conceivable spots Melky can play LF and CF. Both Matsui and Damon are locked up till 09. Melky isn't going to lead off since they got Damon and he would need better production to warrant playing a corner OF spot with out leading off.

Here is Melky's scouting report from 2004. (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=228&p=2&c=223111) He is defiantly fast enough to lead off and he will get better at stealing bags 12SB/5CS. Like i said he is only 22 he has a bright future provided he gets the ABs and isn't used as a 4th OFer. He sprays the ball to all fields, and walks nearly as much as he strikes out and hes a switch hitter, plus he hits LHP 10 points higher than RHP which is huge in the Central division. In his rookie year he posted a OBP better than our own lead off hitter and the flavor of the week Juan Pierre(who was in the weak NL).

Also Matsui does more than just produce on the field he gets alot of ad revenue for the yankees in Japan where he was once called "godzilla". Letting Melky ride the bench is a waste of his talent especially when you consider how Matsui has an "iron man" work ethic and outside of this year had never missed a game, same goes for damon he played in 149 games this year even after having a broken bone in his foot. That isn't enough ABs and it would be a waste of talent and value to use him as a 4th OFer or send him back down to AAA(when he is clearly ML ready) the yankees could get pieces they need to contend by dealing him this offseason.

If we can deal Garcia to the Yankees that frees up payroll, opens up a spot for McCarthy, and gives us our lead off hitter/LF for the future in Melky whos defense is sterling and it also gives us some BP help in Cox/Proctor. An outfield of Cabrera/Anderson/Sweeney is incredibly young, talented and defensively sound. it makes me :drool:

I still stand by what i think he will put up next year.

285+avg/.365OBP 400SLG, 15-20SB/6CS 12-15HR

This is what he put up in '06.

.280avg/.360OBP/.391SLG 12SB/5CS 7HR

what do you guys think as far as if its possible and projection wise?

Ol' No. 2
10-11-2006, 01:10 PM
My guess is that Roberts is the most likely of those listed to be here. But maybe KW has someone else in mind that we're not even thinking about...I agree. Roberts is not going to get megabucks as a FA, so he's affordable. Assuming KW trades away one of the current starters and puts McCarthy in the rotation, that would free up more than enough money to sign Roberts.

Thome25
10-12-2006, 07:56 AM
According to Dave van Dyck we might be making a serious play for AROD.

In his scenario we might end up trading Garcia and Crede for AROD. As Van Dyck said: "KW has a THING for AROD and has always wanted to acquire him ala Carl Everett."

The money that we saved by trading away a starter would automatically go to AROD's salary.

KW might have to get creative in order to sign a leadoff man. AROD would play SS for the Sox so maybe the money he saved by trading Uribe could be used to sign a leadoff hitter.

spiffie
10-12-2006, 09:32 AM
If you upgrade SS that dramatically then I would have no problem taking my chances with Podsednik in LF, or Dave Roberts or someone of that ilk.

edit: wait, I didn't see Crede's name in there at first. In that case you still need a major upgrade at leadoff, lest you end up with Josh Fields putting up Brian Anderson numbers at 3B.

ChiSoxlukes
10-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Hopefully not Pods because he can't put together a second half.

2005 2nd Half- .284 .326 15 SB
2006 2nd Half- .241 .296 11 SB

His OBP has got to be better as a leadoff hitter! Pods struggled in the 2nd half both seasons as did the White Sox.

jamokes
10-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I'll take Willie Taveras as a lead off hitter.

PennStater98r
10-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I think Coco Crisp is going to be looked at - he's at an all-time low in value as Boston wants to ship is ass out.

I think Kenny thought of him as a grinder while in our division, and between some of the defensive plays and the bat he showed against us, that equals a future White Sox trade...

I think of Alomars here.

Craig Grebeck
10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I'll take Willie Taveras as a lead off hitter.
:?:
Career OBP: .329

Count me out.