PDA

View Full Version : Joliet Jackhammers hire 2nd female GM ever

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 06:02 AM
http://www.jackhammerbaseball.com/

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/84776,CST-SPT-jack05.article

I think the woman at the MLB level interviewed had the last name of Ng and worked with the Dodgers....or maybe it was an East Coast team.

Another positive step forward for baseball. Haven't heard much about female umpires recently though.

Parrothead
10-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Not that it matters...the Windy City Thunderbolts / Cook County Cheetahs
had a female GM a couple years back, Lydia (can't remember her last name). Are you saying she was the first?

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Not that it matters...the Windy City Thunderbolts / Cook County Cheetahs
had a female GM a couple years back, Lydia (can't remember her last name). Are you saying she was the first?

"The Nashua Pride of the independent Can-Am League hired a woman, Robin Wallace, to be general manager this year, and the Los Angeles Dodgers considered a woman as a semifinalist for general manager last winter."

I know this, from my experiences in the 90's working with the Pirates, the women that I met were hired (just like an advertising agency hires account execs) because they were "sexy" and would be effective with sales (season tickets, program ads, billboards, promotions, etc.) Some were hired for onfield "assistance" during the various contests and games that were put on between innings. A lot of them had Marketing/Business or Sports Admin. backgrounds. However, they quickly started to feel uncomfortable and not like "part of the good 'ol boys club." Lots of sexism, lots of players treating them less respectfully or like groupies. It's a hard shell to crack, IMO. I can't begin to count the times we'd hang out (players, umpires, coaches) at places like Hooter's after games. Not a very comfortable place for a woman.

It's hard enough for a male without a background as a pro to make it very far in scouting and front office work, but imagine what it is for a woman...you either need to have money, family connections, a sports background, an MBA or an Ivy League background. Lots of lawyers and MBA's now at the MLB level. There are exceptions, like Jon Daniels, who came from nowhere if you look at his past.

Apparently, Sylvia Bergeron was GM of the Alexandria Aces (Indendent) and Windy City for one season but went home to Louisiana to search for employment closer to her family...but I don't think they count Frontier League as a "real league," it's usually the Northern League and then the other 150-200 some teams that have MLB affiliations or play in leagues with teams with MLB affiliations.

southside rocks
10-05-2006, 09:56 AM
The Joliet JackHammers have hired a new General Manager: a woman named Kelly Sufka. She's been with the organization for a few years and was promoted to GM from assistant GM.

As a woman, I'm delighted to see this. I hope she does well and that the club does well under her management. :D:

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 10:11 AM
The Joliet JackHammers have hired a new General Manager: a woman named Kelly Sufka. She's been with the organization for a few years and was promoted to GM from assistant GM.

As a woman, I'm delighted to see this. I hope she does well and that the club does well under her management. :D:

I started a thead in "What's The Score" because my comments about women in baseball were due to lead to some discussion...maybe you've worked in or around sports and have had common experiences? Every White Sox fan dreams (well, maybe some don't) of having a g/f, fiance or spouse that loves baseball, or, the alternative, that doesn't spend half their time trying to get their loved ones to NOT watch the Sox or listen to the radio or go to the games. I keep going back to that movie Fever Pitch, even though it's not about the "Right Sox."

My ex never understood baseball and made no effort to figure it out or learn anything about the game or team. When I did take her, she just talked to her friend and asked if we could go every inning from the fifth on. Of course, I always patiently put up with 2-3 hour long shopping "sprees" lol, oh well, you live and learn in life I guess.

MarySwiss
10-05-2006, 10:35 AM
"The Nashua Pride of the independent Can-Am League hired a woman, Robin Wallace, to be general manager this year, and the Los Angeles Dodgers considered a woman as a semifinalist for general manager last winter."

I know this, from my experiences in the 90's working with the Pirates, the women that I met were hired (just like an advertising agency hires account execs) because they were "sexy" and would be effective with sales (season tickets, program ads, billboards, promotions, etc.) Some were hired for onfield "assistance" during the various contests and games that were put on between innings. A lot of them had Marketing/Business or Sports Admin. backgrounds. However, they quickly started to feel uncomfortable and not like "part of the good 'ol boys club." Lots of sexism, lots of players treating them less respectfully or like groupies. It's a hard shell to crack, IMO. I can't begin to count the times we'd hang out (players, umpires, coaches) at places like Hooter's after games. Not a very comfortable place for a woman.
Well, I would guess a lot depends on the individual woman. Also, hiring people to work in Marketing capacities such as you mentioned is not the same as hiring them to work in positions that require extensive knowledge of the inner workings of the sport (unless you're the Cubs). I personally think it would be great to mingle with players, umpires, and coaches. And trust me, the world of sports is not the only place where women experience sexism; women deal with it in different ways according to their nature. Finally, here's one woman who has been to Hooters several times; I like their burgers.

soxfan13
10-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I guess I am not going to anymore Jackhammer games with a woman running the show. They dont know anything. Serious though, good for her. I love going to games hopefully she can bring a winner to Joliet!:smile:

southside rocks
10-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Oops, I didn't see your thread on this in WTS, Caulfield. Sorry! :redface:

Mods, can you please move or delete this thread. Thanks.

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 10:55 AM
That's the tough thing. Most people assuming working in the minors is the path to working in the front office of a major league organization. Not usually the case.

I know some examples, like Rob Gallas' son Chris was working for Hickory (Crawdads) when they had Magglio and Jeff Abbott and it was partly due to his family connection. You have to use it to your advantage, if possible.

Same thing with Mike Veeck. I've met him on a number of occasions and was really impressed, he's kind of low key and not the flamboyant personality of his father, but a good guy.

I interviewed with the Cardinals after grad school and actually had more opportunities with major league teams (for internships) than minor league teams. However, the minor league teams gave you a chance to make money through sales in the offseason. It's a pain to pay your grad school for an internship AND make no money.

I remember the Red Sox offered me a job/internship at $400 per month and I turned it down because you can't survive like that. Looking back, it might have been worth it to gut it out for a season or two.

The advantage of working in the minors is you literally get to do everything...I was making programs on a broken down copier, did play-by-play and color analysis on radio broadcasts, pulling the tarp, press releases, dressing up as Santa Claus or the mascot (Augusta GreenJacket) on a sweltering August day in Georgia with 99% humidity...and having my tail beaten/hit by 100 kids, lol! I think I lost about 10 pounds (and I weighed 175 or 180) every time I was the mascot. But I was also Director of Stadium Operations and PR, merchandising...one day you're getting a call from Ron Wolf (Packers GM) about swapping hats...being interviewed by Golf World Magazine or the LA Times. It's a lot of fun, long hours and barely survival money, low or mid 20's about 10 years ago.

I learned a LOT about sales from my two years, I'll tell you that much. I never thought I could/would do sales in my lifetime, but I actually enjoyed it because I was selling "pure" baseball, the experience, the dream, the slow rhythm of the spring, summer and early fall that comes and goes all across America.

One of the coolest things I was part of was putting together a home run hitting contest with Bert Emmanuel, Garrison Hearst and some other NFL players who were from the South.

We also had one of the outfielders on the Capital City Bombers crash through our CF fence (Preston Wilson was on that team) and we made the Play of the Day on CNN (just like the Rodney McCray one).

Steve Lyons even broadcast one of our games on ESPN2 during the baseball strike and I was responsible for doing all of his prep, providing him with in-game stats, he was a cool guy to work with. We even had some replacement players/scabs, it was an interesting time. I still have my $75 check from ESPN. I was an ESPN employee for ONE day!!!

I was able to meet James Brown, Lawrence Fishborne, Major General Perry Smith (CNN war analyst), lots of Miss Georgias (LOL), Hootie and the Blowfish, Herschel Walker, Dan Reeves, Vince Dooley, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders (I even had to buy first class tickets for his kids Deion Jr. and Deiondra to fly from Ft. Myers)...and I accidentally hung up the phone on Tom Landry.:(:

Landry has one of those voices that as soon as you answer the phone, you know it's TOM LANDRY. The Coach. The Hat. Ditka and Schottenheimer were cool, too.

I even remember the time Jermaine Dye (played for Macon Braves) came into our trailer and he had to use my phone. He was TALL and QUIET, but very nice. And Gene Lamont was a scout then for the Pirates (1995), I always got him all of his food and drink so I could talk to him about the Sox. He made me play YMCA over the speakers even! He was very nice, low-key. He even autographed my Tribune cover with Bo Jackson (I had it framed from when we clinched in 1993). Whenever I went to Pittsburgh, he was nice enough to get me box seats.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Good, it's embarrassing that there are not more female execs in the big leagues. Maybe this will do something to crack the door open.

miker
10-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Good, it's embarrassing that there are not more female execs in the big leagues. Maybe this will do something to crack the door open.
I have a friend who interned with the front office of the Chicago National League Ball Club when she was in college and from her stories, the old boy network is alive, well and firmly entrenched at the MLB level.

Palehose13
10-05-2006, 04:50 PM
I have a friend who interned with the front office of the Chicago National League Ball Club when she was in college and from her stories, the old boy network is alive, well and firmly entrenched at the MLB level.

And I don't see it going away anytime soon, but it is nice to see a female get her foot in the door.

edit: I see no reason why this needs to be in What's the score.

kitekrazy
10-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Another positive step forward for baseball.

Only in the area of political correctness.

caulfield12
10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Only in the area of political correctness.

Ummm...KW and OG are directly a result of political correctness, are they not?

How is more diversity of opinion and perspective NOT a strength?

Women have a lot of unique viewpoints on how to attract more females to sports venues that men would NEVER think twice about...things like more bathrooms for shorter waiting periods, on-site child care, baby changing stations. I guarantee men didn't come up with those.

Second, look at the background of this new breed of GM's. Theo Epstein, JP Ricciardi, Jon Daniels in Texas. What educations or skills do they have that a woman with the same academic background doesn't? Great talent evaluators are male AND female, whether they are evaluating talent in opera, dance, visual arts. The best can just as easily identify talent on a baseball field as corporate boardroom. I'm sure Donald Trump or Art Moreno or Oprah Winfrey could put together a better team than a corporate entity like the Cubs/Wrigley or Time Warner/Braves.

I want Mags back
10-06-2006, 12:45 PM
PR STUNT PR STUNT

caulfield12
10-06-2006, 12:51 PM
PR STUNT PR STUNT

And many thought hiring OG over Gaston was a publicity stunt for attendance.

If they hired (the minor league team) Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson or Anna Nicole Smith (or anybody from a reality TV show the last 6-7 years), THAT would be a publicity stunt.

Nobody that I know goes to a minor league baseball game simply because the GM's female.

It's even less of a stunt than a female ump or coach, because those two would draw more attention, right?