PDA

View Full Version : Torii Hunter's Locker

Brian26
10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
He's got a giant bottle of Captain Morgan in his locker. Classy. You'd think they'd clean that up for the national tv interviews.

PeteWard
10-04-2006, 10:48 PM
He's got a giant bottle of Captain Morgan in his locker. Classy. You'd think they'd clean that up for the national tv interviews.

Absolutely. One would think that man with his means would have Bombay Sapphire in there.

mark2olson
10-04-2006, 10:50 PM

Yea, it also looked like he had "a little bit of the captain in him" out on the field...:D:

LuvSox
10-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Torii Hunter changes for nobody. Not for you, not for the Westboro Baptist Church, not for prime time tv. Nobody.

:smile:

jenn2080
10-04-2006, 11:00 PM
That explains that stellar play today:D:

Oblong
10-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Why would you have it in your locker? Can't you wait until you get home or back at the hotel? I know they like to drink beer sometimes but the hard stuff?

ilsox7
10-04-2006, 11:50 PM

Better than leaving the Andro visible during interviews...

batmanZoSo
10-05-2006, 12:06 AM
I think that's pretty cool. I hate Hunter a little less now. I miss the days of players having a relaxing smoke in the dugout.

HotelWhiteSox
10-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Better than leaving the Andro visible during interviews...

http://espn.go.com/media/mlb/2005/0927/photo/g_mcgwire_195.jpg

Duuude, you gotta quit living in the past

MUsoxfan
10-05-2006, 01:12 AM
I think that's pretty cool. I hate Hunter a little less now. I miss the days of players having a relaxing smoke in the dugout.

I'm with you. Nothing soothes the nerves like the Captain. Are baseball players not supposed to drink?

Soxfanspcu11
10-05-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm with you. Nothing soothes the nerves like the Captain. Are baseball players not supposed to drink?

I wish that I were alive and a baseball fan back in the old days when players used to drink like crazy and smoke and act like rockstars.

These days, it seems like that behavior is completely looked down upon for pro athletes.

It may have something to do with athletes these days being in better shape then they have ever been and don't want to ruin their bodies with toxins, but still, I love hearing about the old drunk ball players and their stories of debauchary!:bandance:

EndemicSox
10-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Torri probably got a new car from the Captain Morgan company for placing the bottle in such a position, or a fat wad of cash.

chaerulez
10-05-2006, 03:22 AM
I wish that I were alive and a baseball fan back in the old days when players used to drink like crazy and smoke and act like rockstars.

These days, it seems like that behavior is completely looked down upon for pro athletes.

It may have something to do with athletes these days being in better shape then they have ever been and don't want to ruin their bodies with toxins, but still, I love hearing about the old drunk ball players and their stories of debauchary!:bandance:

I agree, people love Mantle and we know he pretty much drank after every game, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't the only heavy drinker on those Yankee teams. Then again a couple decades later it changed to drugs, we all know about coke and baseball in the '80's. Rock Raines, the Mets... does MLB even test for recreational drugs? I really don't think they do, and knowing what they know about what happened in the 80's, you'd think Selig and Fehr wouldn't be idiots about it. But it is Selig and Fehr we are talking about.

AnkleSox
10-05-2006, 03:24 AM
I hate Torii as much as anyone else, but doesn't anyone remember Paulie drinking a Bud Light during an interview after an ALCS game win last year? (may have actually been a world series game win, not a clincher, but the point is, off the field, athletes also live their life.)

Boondock Saint
10-05-2006, 04:07 AM
I hate Torii as much as anyone else, but doesn't anyone remember Paulie drinking a Bud Light during an interview after an ALCS game win last year? (may have actually been a world series game win, not a clincher, but the point is, off the field, athletes also live their life.)

This is an unforgivable sin. Having a bottle of rum in your locker is one thing. Having a drink after a game? I can handle that. But Bud Light??? Paulie, shame on you. :redneck

IlliniSox4Life
10-05-2006, 04:22 AM
While its probably not something you want to be glamourized or overly flaunted, I don't have a problem with athletes keeping liquor in the clubhouse, as long as they aren't drinking and driving home afterwards.

Am I wrong to recall Johnny Damon or some Red Sox player saying they all did a shot of whiskey or some other hard liquor before the World Series games 2 years ago? Or was it that they just had like a little sip, less than even a shot?

Either way, alcohol, along with pretty much any other vice/danger in our world (cigarrettes/marijuana/guns/fatty foods), is for the most part, completely fine if used responsibly and in limited amounts. Torii + Alcohol bottle = fine. Torii + empty alcohol bottle in a couple of hours = not fine.

voodoochile
10-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Why would you have it in your locker? Can't you wait until you get home or back at the hotel? I know they like to drink beer sometimes but the hard stuff?

A typical mixed drink has as much alcohol in it as a beer.

Oblong
10-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Not mine :D:

I don't have a problem with it and didn't mean to give that impression. I just think it's funny and kind of cool. I'm sure there's probably a dining area with the other beverages but Torii's probably afraid somebody would steal a shot or two so it's got to stay in his locker.

DeadMoney
10-05-2006, 09:22 AM
It was probably a present or gift from someone on the team or staff who was trying to be funny. I could easily see someone giving it to him as a joke (who knows why, but it's very possible) and him stuffing it up into his locker. I'd have no problem with this anyway, but this is my reasoning behind it.

The Immigrant
10-05-2006, 09:22 AM

Don't mean to kill your buzz, but that lifestyle is pretty much what killed Mickey Mantle.

voodoochile
10-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Not mine :D:

I don't have a problem with it and didn't mean to give that impression. I just think it's funny and kind of cool. I'm sure there's probably a dining area with the other beverages but Torii's probably afraid somebody would steal a shot or two so it's got to stay in his locker.

Probably it's more of an unwritten rule. Beer is okay, but don't advertise the hard stuff. The fans won't understand. Until the press leaves, keep it in your locker.

This thread is prime example number one of why it's that way...

southside rocks
10-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Don't mean to kill your buzz, but that lifestyle is pretty much what killed Mickey Mantle.

Yeah, the sadness of alcoholism far outweighs the "fun" of it. Mantle's last years, with all the controversy over his liver transplant, were so undignified and did nothing to enhance his baseball legacy.

One might wonder what kind of a player The Mick would have been if alcohol had not taken over his adult life.

That said, I hardly think that a bottle of booze in the locker of a pro baseball player is grounds to call for Prohibition again. Torii Hunter's bad judgement on that fly ball is more interesting to me than what he might have a pop of after the game. :?:

D. TODD
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Come on, so what. A grown man had a bottle of liquor in his locker at the clubhouse. :o: Oh my shame on him.

Oblong
10-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Jim Leyland's famous for being a smoker. Early on in the season they'd show him in the dugout and you'd see his pack of marlboro reds and his cheap bic lighter sitting behind him on the shelf.

Tekijawa
10-05-2006, 10:17 AM
In college I always played better with 2 beers in me an hour befor ariving to the Gym before basketball games.

The Immigrant
10-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Jim Leyland's famous for being a smoker. Early on in the season they'd show him in the dugout and you'd see his pack of marlboro reds and his cheap bic lighter sitting behind him on the shelf.

They won't let him smoke at Yankee Stadium (anti-smoking ordinance and all). It must be killing him, especially with Robertson on the mound. He should just start chewing the cigarettes three at a time.

soxfan13
10-05-2006, 12:21 PM
In college I always played better with 2 beers in me an hour befor ariving to the Gym before basketball games.

In golf I like to call the beers I am having "liquid tempo":D:

soxfan80
10-05-2006, 12:26 PM
This is Torri Hunter we're talking about. Class isnt in his vocabulary.

Deuce
10-05-2006, 12:32 PM
He's got a giant bottle of Captain Morgan in his locker. Classy. You'd think they'd clean that up for the national tv interviews.Hey, at least it was Captain Morgan Private Stock. I'm a Bacardi-man myself, but that is some good stuff. And if it contributed to his misplay, I say "drink up!" :redneck

Deuce

AZChiSoxFan
10-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Is Bud Light actually alcohol??

EastCoastSoxFan
10-05-2006, 02:52 PM
It may have something to do with athletes these days being in better shape then they have ever been and don't want to ruin their bodies with toxins, but still, I love hearing about the old drunk ball players and their stories of debauchary!:bandance:I have read a few such stories in old baseball books.
Grover Cleveland Alexander supposedly was under the influence of a major hangover when he struck out Tony Lazzeri with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the 7th inning of game 7 of the 1926 World Series (and then pitched the 8th and 9th to secure the win).
Paul Waner supposedly drank freely during games at the end of his career, and on one occasion he managed to hit a gapper to right center, but as he was rounding second and trying to pick up the throw he took a bit too wide of a turn and ended up sliding into the bullpen down the left field line, some 60 feet away from his destination.
Ah, good times. You'd never see anything like that these days...

mark2olson
10-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Ah, good times. You'd never see anything like that these days...

DiMaggio used to duck into the tunnel to have a smoke, Chesterfields IIRC, and a cup of coffee between innings. Smoking, however, was ultimately responsible for his demise.

KMKsuburbannoise
10-06-2006, 03:13 PM
yeah, you think he would have something more expensive like Grey Goose, or atleast Jack Daniels.

tacosalbarojas
10-06-2006, 03:30 PM
It was probably a present or gift from someone on the team or staff who was trying to be funny. I could easily see someone giving it to him as a joke (who knows why, but it's very possible) and him stuffing it up into his locker. I'd have no problem with this anyway, but this is my reasoning behind it.
I noticed this as well...how could you not. I just figured it was left over from the playoff clinching celebration.

Soxfanspcu11
10-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I noticed this as well...how could you not. I just figured it was left over from the playoff clinching celebration.

Jimmy Kimmel talked about it last night during his monologue. They showed the interview and then did a closeup on the bottle and everyone had a good laugh.

Patrick134
10-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Toriiiiii can drink all the rum he wants. I don't see much champagne in his future.

digdagdug23
10-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I can't remember who's locker it was during the post-game stuff for the Bear's last week, but one of the players (dambit I can't remember who) had a bottle of Chivas right behind him, in plain view.

Hey, these guys have a life, too, I just wish I could take alcohol to work with me, MAN would that be a good day on the job.

soxwon
10-06-2006, 08:17 PM
torrie will need that bottle- he gawn HOME LOL

October26
10-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey, these guys have a life, too, I just wish I could take alcohol to work with me, MAN would that be a good day on the job.

:kneeslap:

samram
10-07-2006, 01:11 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5736048_7_3.jpg
Singing: "I'm bringing smoking back!!"