PDA

View Full Version : Endy Chavez for 4th OF next year

caulfield12
10-04-2006, 06:11 PM
He's one player (not an offensive force) that would be the perfect defensive complement to play LF and CF.

Good speed, good teammate. Not to be confused with a starter...a solid bench player though.

Dan the Man
10-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Sounds good to me caulfield. Is he a free agent?

Sargeant79
10-04-2006, 08:32 PM
He's one player (not an offensive force) that would be the perfect defensive complement to play LF and CF.

Good speed, good teammate. Not to be confused with a starter...a solid bench player though.

Not a bad idea. Seems to have good speed, and I'll assume he plays decent defense from your comments (I'm not that familiar with him beyond his stats)

Although I think the 4th outfielder next year may very well be Ryan Sweeney as long as the left field spot is filled by a veteran acquisition (Cough...Carl Crawford...cough...ahem). Sweeney can play all 3 outfield positions and he would come cheaper than picking up Chavez. And the way Ozzie likes to play the bench guys, there's a good chance he would get 200-250 or so at bats. This could be good for his development...a chance to get major league experience at a very young age without having the pressure that comes with starting for a pennant-contending team.

caulfield12
10-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Not a bad idea. Seems to have good speed, and I'll assume he plays decent defense from your comments (I'm not that familiar with him beyond his stats)

Although I think the 4th outfielder next year may very well be Ryan Sweeney as long as the left field spot is filled by a veteran acquisition (Cough...Carl Crawford...cough...ahem). Sweeney can play all 3 outfield positions and he would come cheaper than picking up Chavez. And the way Ozzie likes to play the bench guys, there's a good chance he would get 200-250 or so at bats. This could be good for his development...a chance to get major league experience at a very young age without having the pressure that comes with starting for a pennant-contending team.

I don't think they would risk that with a 21 or 22 year old Sweeney. Owens, yes.

But I'm sure they're going to take a long hard look at whether Anderson really benefitted by his inconsistent PT this year as well.

Sweeney's either a starter or he's on the bench. He's a more adequate CF than Mackowiak, but he's not close to Anderson...he could be a defensive replacement for the corners, but I don't see how he could get all those AB's with Mackowiak on the team as well.

caulfield12
10-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Sounds good to me caulfield. Is he a free agent?

Same exact position as Crede.

Arbitration eligible for next two seasons. Not sure if the Mets keep him or not.

Sargeant79
10-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't think they would risk that with a 21 or 22 year old Sweeney. Owens, yes.

But I'm sure they're going to take a long hard look at whether Anderson really benefitted by his inconsistent PT this year as well.

Sweeney's either a starter or he's on the bench. He's a more adequate CF than Mackowiak, but he's not close to Anderson...he could be a defensive replacement for the corners, but I don't see how he could get all those AB's with Mackowiak on the team as well.

Good point as far as whether Anderson benefitted from his inconsistent playing time.

However, I think (hope) that whoever the primary 4th outfielder is next year will get at least 200 at bats, which will allow Mackowiak to focus on playing anything other than CF.

Is Owens competent defensively as a CF?

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-04-2006, 10:41 PM
I always heard that Owens can barely throw at all. No arm what-so-ever. I don't exactly like the idea of having a weak arm in CF.

caulfield12
10-05-2006, 04:47 AM
The other good thing about Chavez is he's not quite good enough offensively to play 40% of the time, he is a BACKUP player and "insurance."

Hence, no Mackowiak problem...although I could see OG falling in love with Endy as well and platooning him.

caulfield12
10-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Any questions about his D after last night?

itsnotrequired
10-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Any questions about his D after last night?

One spectacular catch does not a great outfielder make...

caulfield12
10-20-2006, 09:00 AM

Did you ever see Pods or Mackowiak make ONE spectacular catch ALL season? Seriously, neither one of them would have come close to that ball....Pods is too hesitant to throw his whole body into the fence, and Mackowiak doesn't have that type of athletic ability.

itsnotrequired
10-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Did you ever see Pods or Mackowiak make ONE spectacular catch ALL season? Seriously, neither one of them would have come close to that ball....Pods is too hesitant to throw his whole body into the fence, and Mackowiak doesn't have that type of athletic ability.

Pods had several diving catches this year. He even took a home run ball away at the fence. It wasn't as "spectacular" as Chavez's but it was still a leap over the wall. Check out his catch on the 7/23 game against the Rangers, 5/10 against the Angels and 4/13 against the Tigers.

I haven't seen enough of Chavez over the season to comment on his overall ability but to see one catch and want to sign him is a bit premature.

fquaye149
10-20-2006, 09:17 AM

Exactly---this is why armchair GM's are frustrating. They only watch MLB players like Chavez 5 games a year or so. For instance, this is why many here think A-Rod's a bad player---because they don't watch him play. Chavez is going to be vastly overrated and overpaid this offseason because demand for him will be sky high owing to that catch raising his market value.

Overall he's a solid player, and that catch was phenomenal, flat out, but this thread is what's annoying about sports talk radio.

itsnotrequired
10-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Exactly---this is why armchair GM's are frustrating. They only watch MLB players like Chavez 5 games a year or so. For instance, this is why many here think A-Rod's a bad player---because they don't watch him play. Chavez is going to be vastly overrated and overpaid this offseason because demand for him will be sky high owing to that catch raising his market value.

Overall he's a solid player, and that catch was phenomenal, flat out, but this thread is what's annoying about sports talk radio.

You should have seen all the oohing and aahing on the Yankee boards after Rowand's performance out there in 2005. Same deal here.

palehozenychicty
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
[quote=fquaye149;1391291]Exactly---this is why armchair GM's are frustrating. They only watch MLB players like Chavez 5 games a year or so. For instance, this is why many here think A-Rod's a bad player---because they don't watch him play. [quote]

I live in ny, so i get a chance to watch a lot of Yankmee and Met games, of course. Alex Rodriguez has great, historical tools, but he is playing out of position. Secondly, he doesn't play with a lot of heart. He looks like a man who is overwhelmed with his baseball life and it all started with the ridiculous contract. He puts up great numbers, but rarely when the stakes are high.

Chavez, on the other hand, has given the Mets a big lift throughout this season in spots and plays hard. Defensively, he is adequate and makes the plays in front of him without bonehead angles and decisions e.g. Ozuna. He is a solid bench player who excels fundamentally. I'd welcome him on the Sox.

caulfield12
10-20-2006, 10:02 AM
UGH>>>>>>

I've seen Chavez play his entire career. Some people, apparently, are seeing him play for the first time in their lives.

You will not I started this thread LONG before the playoffs even started.

I mentioned the reasons why he would be the perfect 4th OF.

Nobody's going to pay him $2-3 million (around Pods' salary) just because of one catch, or make him a starting outfielder.

Did 15-20 MLB teams call KW and ask to trade for Uribe after last season....or ask for Anderson after this season? I don't think so.

oeo
10-20-2006, 11:57 AM

Exactly, let's not get out of hand. This is why some guys' careers can be made in the postseason. Look to Josh Beckett; very overrated because his performance in the 2003 postseason. He got hot at the right time, that's it.

Although not really the same situation...who's to say Chavez ever makes that catch again? It was a good catch, but it still looks like he got lucky. He just jumped up and put his mitt back there and said, "Look what I found," even he was surprised when he came back down. It doesn't even match up to a play like Gary Matthews' earlier this year, in which given the chance, it looks like he could make that catch again. I don't think Chavez ever makes his catch again.

Just earlier in that game, Chavez missed a foul ball over the wall down the line because he was 'too hesitant'. I've seen Pods jump at the wall, put his mitt up, and make a lucky catch, big deal.

caulfield12
10-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Pods and Mackowiak do not consistently play at a high level defensively.

We need a player who can be a defensive replacement in CF and LF but one who's NOT good enough offensively that Ozzie would consider platooning them. Hopefully, this player would also be capable of pinch-running.

Chavez fits this category.