PDA

View Full Version : Being in Michigan this postseason

nug0hs
10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, last night was interesting. Although I am about 140 miles from Detroit, the general vibe here in Kalamazoo was exciting. I got several voicemails from Michiganers while in class asking me if I "wanted to hit up ____ sports bar to watch the game tonight" and it seemed like everyone in town and around campus was extremely excited to watch the Tigers. Seemed like a big part of town shut down for the start of the game, but once Robertson started to get hit hard all the sudden NO ONE CARED. I am not knocking the Tigers fan base, but it seems like the people here really have changed their mentality. Three weeks ago people had been talking/acting like the Tigers would walk to the World Series with no trouble, now it seems like people have lost a LOT of faith and don't seem to care anymore.

The thing that really caught my eye/ear, however, were the things that were being said at the start of the broadcast. It seemed like every quote taken from Jim Leyland was nearly exactly the same thing that Ozzie said before Game 1 lf the ALDS last year...things like "we are gonna grind it out, try for a lot of base hits, and run the bases as agressively as possible while hoping our pitching takes control of the games early." Although this formula worked for us last fall, I just dont see the Tigers doing much with their incredibly young hitters and 4-5-6 accounting for 7 LOB, 3K, and 0 RBI last night.

TDog
10-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, last night was interesting. Although I am about 140 miles from Detroit, the general vibe here in Kalamazoo was exciting. I got several voicemails from Michiganers while in class asking me if I "wanted to hit up ____ sports bar to watch the game tonight" and it seemed like everyone in town and around campus was extremely excited to watch the Tigers. Seemed like a big part of town shut down for the start of the game, but once Robertson started to get hit hard all the sudden NO ONE CARED. I am not knocking the Tigers fan base, but it seems like the people here really have changed their mentality. Three weeks ago people had been talking/acting like the Tigers would walk to the World Series with no trouble, now it seems like people have lost a LOT of faith and don't seem to care anymore.

The thing that really caught my eye/ear, however, were the things that were being said at the start of the broadcast. It seemed like every quote taken from Jim Leyland was nearly exactly the same thing that Ozzie said before Game 1 lf the ALDS last year...things like "we are gonna grind it out, try for a lot of base hits, and run the bases as agressively as possible while hoping our pitching takes control of the games early." Although this formula worked for us last fall, I just dont see the Tigers doing much with their incredibly young hitters and 4-5-6 accounting for 7 LOB, 3K, and 0 RBI last night.

That's because the Tigers are the anti-Sox. They finished their collapse at the end of the season (although the Sox didn't answer the call to swoop in for the wild card). They will probably finish with an eight-game losing streak.

By the way, I've never seen people from Michigan referred to as Michiganers. I thought the debate over what to call people from Michigan was between Michiganders and Michigonians.

Of the three, Michigander is in the spell check.

SOXintheBURGH
10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
By the way, I've never seen people from Michigan referred to as Michiganers. I thought the debate over what to call people from Michigan was between Michiganders and Michigonians.

Michiganders are Tigers fans are Red Wings fans are Pistons fans. :tongue:

Corlose 15
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
That's because the Tigers are the anti-Sox. They finished their collapse at the end of the season (although the Sox didn't answer the call to swoop in for the wild card). They will probably finish with an eight-game losing streak.

Bah, there is no debate. Its Michiganders.

Also, I think people are just excited that, for once, the Tigers don't suck. I mean, they haven't had a winning record since 93 and haven't been in the playoffs since 1987.