PDA

View Full Version : Something worries me...

thomas35forever
10-04-2006, 02:35 PM
I hear all these stories about Frank getting along with everybody in Oakland. If the A's do in fact go all the way, is it possible that he will go into the HOF with an A's cap???:o:

samram
10-04-2006, 02:36 PM
That decision is made either by the HOF or by MLB, not by the player.

spiffie
I hear all these stories about Frank getting along with everybody in Oakland. If the A's do in fact go all the way, is it possible that he will go into the HOF with an A's cap???:o:
The HOF decides what cap they wear. If/when Frank goes into the hall, it will be with the team he spent the vasy majority of his career with, the White Sox.

Nellie_Fox
I hear all these stories about Frank getting along with everybody in Oakland. If the A's do in fact go all the way, is it possible that he will go into the HOF with an A's cap???:o:It is no longer up to the player. The HOF decides what cap goes on the placque.

cleanwsox
10-04-2006, 02:37 PM
He could play 3 more years with the A's and still go in as a Sox. Nothing to worry about.

AuroraSoxFan
10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I doubt it. Had he not spent so many years here maybe. But even if he plays another 2 years or so there and is well loved, he'll always be seen as a Sox player as far as the HOF goes. That'd be like saying if the Dodgers win it all that Maddux and Nomar woudl be elected as Dodgers.

thomas35forever
It is no longer up to the player. The HOF decides what cap goes on the placque.
Did this rule come into effect after Fisk was inducted or did the HOF have him wear the Red Sox cap?

chisoxmike

Never. Frank is a White Sox. Always will be.

RKMeibalane
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Nope. He'll go into the HOF with a Sox cap.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
I think that a player is allowed to express a preference if there is more than one team for whom he made a big contribution, such as in the case of Fisk. However, the rule allowing the player to choose completely was changed when Boggs signed a contract with Tampa that included a bonus for going into the HOF with a Devil Rays cap. The HOF said no way, we get the final say. Boggs could have justified Yankees or Red Sox, but not Tampa.

Nellie_Fox
10-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Clarification from the HOF FAQ page:

Who decides what team logo will be used on induction plaques? The choice of which teamís logo appears on a playerís plaque is the Museum's decision, though we always consider the wishes of an inductee. As a history museum and as such, it's important that the logo be emblematic of the historical accomplishments of that player's career. A player's election to the Hall of Fame is a career achievement, and as such, every team for whom he played is listed on the plaque; however, the logo selection is based on where that player makes his most indelible mark. Visit our Hall of Fame plaque section to see the plaques of your favorite Hall of Fame members.

Hitmen77
10-04-2006, 02:56 PM

No.

Oblong
10-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Did this rule come into effect after Fisk was inducted or did the HOF have him wear the Red Sox cap?

I believe it came about as a result of Winfield being accused of having a deal with the Padres that he'd go in with their logo in exchange for a job. There were also rumors that Boggs had it in his contract with Tampa Bay. Canseco did too but that's not a concern anymore.

The Hall will still ask the player but reserves the right to go their own way. I imagine difficult cases like Fisk, Reggie, Nolan Ryan, and Sparky along with future examples like Rickey and Arod would still be left up to the player.

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Not a chance. He has a ring with the Sox and almost 450 hrs, plus his BA with the Sox, etc. How long would he have to wear an A's uniform to come close to matching that? Maybe by his 50th birthday.

TDog
10-04-2006, 03:41 PM
The plaque will have Thomas wearing a Sox cap. Gary Carter in an Expos cap was political -- we have to have something to remember the Expos -- but there is no doubt that Thomas contributed more to the Sox than he could possibly contribute for any other team.

But there will be a lot of A's love at the ceremony when he is inducted. And Sox fans will be irritated by it.

soxinem1
10-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I doubt it. Had he not spent so many years here maybe. But even if he plays another 2 years or so there and is well loved, he'll always be seen as a Sox player as far as the HOF goes. That'd be like saying if the Dodgers win it all that Maddux and Nomar woudl be elected as Dodgers.

Touche', I couldn't have said it better.

Brian26
10-04-2006, 09:31 PM

Unless Frank plays another 14 years with the A's, there's no way he wears an A's hat.

Oblong
10-04-2006, 09:57 PM
The only way this is feasible is if he plays 5 or 6 more years, has Barry Bonds 01-04 type seasons(without the stuff), and the A's win 3 or 4 World Series titles and he's the MVP in 3 of them. But even then it's stretching it.

Fenway
10-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I think we can all agree that Fisk wearing a B instead of SOX came down to one moment in October 1975....

"Game tied, 6-6. Darcy pitching. Fisk takes high and inside, ball one. Freddie Lynn on deck. There have been numerous heroics tonight, both sides. The 0-1 delivery to Fisk. He swings. Long drive, left field! If it stays fair, it's gone! Home run! The Red Sox win! And the Series is tied, three games apiece!" -- Ned Martin

That is one of baseball's greatest moments and is the reason Fisk wears a Boston hat in Cooperstown.

DumpJerry
10-04-2006, 11:24 PM
I think we can all agree that Fisk wearing a B instead of SOX came down to one moment in October 1975....

"Game tied, 6-6. Darcy pitching. Fisk takes high and inside, ball one. Freddie Lynn on deck. There have been numerous heroics tonight, both sides. The 0-1 delivery to Fisk. He swings. Long drive, left field! If it stays fair, it's gone! Home run! The Red Sox win! And the Series is tied, three games apiece!" -- Ned Martin

That is one of baseball's greatest moments and is the reason Fisk wears a Boston hat in Cooperstown.
Whew! I was worried that it was the graceful way his career with the White Sox wound up. Or maybe it was his alternative career as a Left Fielder.

Frankfan4life
10-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Nope. He'll go into the HOF with a Sox cap. ...and KW will be there cheering him on!

Seriously, I'm glad to hear this decision will be out of Frank's hands, for the most part, given all the animosity when he left the Sox. That was really worrying me. I was hoping that the A's wouldn't win the World Series because of that. Of course, to be safe, I hope the A's beat the Twins and I hope Frank plays well, but I still don't want them to win the WS.

PKalltheway
10-05-2006, 12:34 AM
The Hall will still ask the player but reserves the right to go their own way. I imagine difficult cases like Fisk, Reggie, Nolan Ryan, and Sparky along with future examples like Rickey and Arod would still be left up to the player.
Here's a tough one: who will Randy Johnson go in with? It's gonna come down to either Seattle or Arizona.

Fenway
10-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Here's a tough one: who will Randy Johnson go in with? It's gonna come down to either Seattle or Arizona.

Pedro wants to go in as an Expo :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
10-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Here's a tough one: who will Randy Johnson go in with? It's gonna come down to either Seattle or Arizona.Of course, there's the "New York Exemption" to the rule. Anybody who ever wore the revered Yankee pinstripes, for even 30 seconds, is justified in claiming Yankee status in the HOF, because of course anything they did during that time was the most important thing they did during their career.

gbergman
10-05-2006, 12:56 AM

I would say Arizona.
Arizona stats in 6 seasons
4 Cy Youngs, 2002 won pitchings triple crown
Perfect Game
20 k in one game
World Championship
World Series co-mvp
103 wins
Averaged 17.2 wins a season despite pitching half a season in 2003 other wise he would of averaged about 18.5 had he pitched .500 the remander of that season

Seattle in 9.5 seasons
1 Cy Young
130 wins
Averaged 13.7 wins a season

Pedro Martinez will not get to go in as a Expos because of his career in Boston, if he had a choice in the matter I think he would love to stick it to Boston and go in as a team from the NL

Fenway
10-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Of course, there's the "New York Exemption" to the rule. Anybody who ever wore the revered Yankee pinstripes, for even 30 seconds, is justified in claiming Yankee status in the HOF, because of course anything they did during that time was the most important thing they did during their career.

I am certain that the reason the Red Sox have not retired Boggs number is because he went to NYY

He wears the B in Cooperstown but...
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/includes/2005_Inductees/images/boggs_wade.jpg

Baby Fisk
10-05-2006, 08:58 AM
No. "Everybody in Oakland" doesn't decide what hat you wear.

PennStater98r
10-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I believe it came about as a result of Winfield being accused of having a deal with the Padres that he'd go in with their logo in exchange for a job. There were also rumors that Boggs had it in his contract with Tampa Bay. Canseco did too but that's not a concern anymore.

Not to mention other future examples - Pedro, Unit, Maddux, Clemens and I-Rod.

Granted, some of those seem like easy choices now - Pedro is BoSox. Maddux is a Brave. But what hat should Clemens wear?

Thome25
10-05-2006, 09:25 AM

Granted, some of those seem like easy choices now - Pedro is BoSox. Maddux is a Brave. But what hat should Clemens wear?

I'd hate to say it but, if the team has to be the one Clemens made his most indelible mark with I'd have to say the Yankees.

He obviously had the most success with NY. They're the only team he won the WS with.

If you go by the team he spent the most time with then you'd have to say the Red Sawx.

But, it doesn't always work out that way. Carlton Fisk spent more time with the White Sox and he's on his plaque wearing that damn Boston "B" on his cap.

I went to the HOF this year and as a die hard White Sox fan, it hurt to see him wearing the wrong cap on his plaque.

I'd have to agree though, the HOF took over the whole cap wearing situation because certain teams were trying to put it in player's contracts what cap they would wear.

rocky biddle
10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
I wonder what cap Aaron Rowand will where when he's inducted?

Oblong
10-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Randy Johnson's a great example: I think that's a case where it'll be up to him... unless he signs with Tampa Bay at the age of 50! Personally I'd go with Seattle.

For Clemens I'd say Boston. I think the way he retired with the Yankees then went to Houston would rule out the Yanks. Would there be a Boston contigent of fans out there supporting him?

When it's a close call I say the player should pick the place where they became a HOFer. Was Fisk a hall of famer before coming to Chicago? I wouldn't think so.

Sparky Anderson always maintained he'd go in as Tiger out of loyalty to Jim Campbell. But at the end of his career he had a falling out with the new Tiger ownership and he went in as a Red. He said it was a tribute to the cincy GM who hired him because he never would have gotten a big league job without him. To be immortalized with Bench, Morgan, Perez, and knowing that Rose would have made it without his issues, is something too good ot pass up I guess.

October26
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM
I wonder what cap Aaron Rowand will where when he's inducted?

Thanks, Rocky. This thread was interesting to read, but your post has me rolling on the floor with laughter :smile: To answer your question: With a Sox hat, of course because Aaron is coming back, you heard the latest rumor, right?

Huisj
10-05-2006, 08:31 PM

I don't think Maddux is all that debatable. He's got to go in with a Braves hat. Yeah, he was good with the Cubs for a while early on, and ok for them at the end, but look at '93-'98. Those are the years that make him a Hall of Famer.

It's pretty tough to say I-Rod won't wear a Texas hat too. He's got to.

Fenway
10-05-2006, 11:10 PM
For Clemens I'd say Boston. I think the way he retired with the Yankees then went to Houston would rule out the Yanks. Would there be a Boston contigent of fans out there supporting him?

I have a gut feeling that for 2007 Roger's half season will be with Boston to close everything out.

Gregory Pratt
10-05-2006, 11:24 PM
The HOF changed its policies to prevent anyone from doing what Wade Boggs did and try to sell their Cap to a third-rate team for some money. Basically, they ask the player what they'd like, and 99% of the time they'll go with it, provided it's not b*******, like Boggs saying he wants to be a Devil Ray. It's essentially a meaningless clause that will almost never be enforced because it won't have to be, but it's there just in case.

Basically, Thomas will come into the Hall as a member of the Sox, unless he insists on being an A, which is possible but improbable.

PKalltheway
10-05-2006, 11:37 PM
I would say Arizona.
Arizona stats in 6 seasons
4 Cy Youngs, 2002 won pitchings triple crown
Perfect Game
20 k in one game
World Championship
World Series co-mvp
103 wins
Averaged 17.2 wins a season despite pitching half a season in 2003 other wise he would of averaged about 18.5 had he pitched .500 the remander of that season

Seattle in 9.5 seasons
1 Cy Young
130 wins
Averaged 13.7 wins a season

Don't forget about his 2001 strikeout total. He struck out 372 batters!:o:

TDog
10-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Basically, Thomas will come into the Hall as a member of the Sox, unless he insists on being an A, which is possible but improbable.

I honestly don't believe he has a choice in the matter. But if Frank Thomas wants to go his Hall of Fame plaque to depict him as member of the A's without regard to his glorious seasons with the White Sox and the support he got from White Sox fans, I honestly wouldn't care.

ShoelessJoeS
10-06-2006, 01:18 AM
I hear all these stories about Frank getting along with everybody in Oakland. If the A's do in fact go all the way, is it possible that he will go into the HOF with an A's cap???:o::tealtutor:

HawkDJ
10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
I think someone asked earlier in the year if there was a chance Thome would go in as a White Sox. The two questions are about equal in their rediculousness.

chaerulez
10-06-2006, 11:13 AM
This is like Cubs fans who think Maddux will go in as a Cub. He's going in a Brave. Just like Frank will go in as a Sox. Frank better be a first ballot, otherwise the HOF is run by a bunch of morons.

Baby Fisk
10-06-2006, 11:16 AM
This is like Cubs fans who think Maddux will go in as a Cub. He's going in a Brave. Just like Frank will go in as a Sox. Frank better be a first ballot, otherwise the HOF is run by a bunch of morons.
If the A's go all the way and win the WS (I don't know which font colour to use!), Frank will end his career with multiple rings and a lot of first ballot momentum.

RKMeibalane
10-06-2006, 12:14 PM
And Sox fans will be irritated by it.

Some will, and some won't. I will be happy for Frank, and am not concerned about what he says during his induction speech. If he wants to talk about the A's, that's his call.