PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-5

Lip Man 1
10-04-2006, 01:47 PM
October 5, 1908 - Sox pitcher "Big" Ed Walsh wins his 40th game of the season, beating Detroit 6 - 1. Itís a team record that will never be broken.

October 5, 1983 - Cy Young Award winner LaMarr Hoyt pitches a brilliant complete game, six hitter in beating the Orioles 2 - 1 in Game #1 of the A.L.C.S. Itís the first time since divisional playoffs started in 1969 that Baltimore ever lost the first game of a post season series. It would be the high water mark for the Sox in the next week.

October 5, 1993 - Game #1 of the A.L.C.S. is a complete unmitigated disaster both on and off the field for the Sox. On the field, Toronto rips the Sox 7 - 3 but by the middle of the game, not one fan cares. Michael Jordan who threw out the ceremonial first pitch confirms reports that he is holding a press conference the next morning to announce his retirement from the Bulls. Fans at the game and around the city are in shock. Adding insult to injury, future Hall Of Fame catcher Carlton Fisk and Chicago native and former Sox pitcher Donn Pall are turned away by security guards when they attempt to wish the team "good luck" in the locker room before the game started. The White Sox claim the rules were set by Major League Baseball but many fans and media members feel Fisk was turned away on explicit orders from Jerry Reinsdorf. Itís an insult Fisk never forgets. Reinsdorf then takes an unprecedented step of apologizing to the team in the clubhouse before the start of Game #2 saying he had no wish to take away their spotlight because of the Jordan situation.(Donn Pall describes what happened outside the locker room in his interview with White Sox Interactive.)

Lip

batmanZoSo
10-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Not opening any good memories there, Lip. When are we getting to some '05 ones? :D: (I only remember '93 myself)

Did you write that correctly--40 wins? :?:

edit: Oh my God! 40-15, 1.42 ERA, 464 innings pitched.

oeo
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Not opening any good memories there, Lip. When are we getting to some '05 ones? :D: (I only remember '93 myself)

Did you write that correctly--40 wins? :?:

edit: Oh my God! 40-15, 1.42 ERA, 464 innings pitched.

10/5 is the anniversary of Iguchi's 5th inning, 3 run bomb off of Fat Wells to give the Sox the lead in Game 2 of the ALDS. I wish we could have some memories like that again this year. :whiner:

Baby Fisk
10-04-2006, 02:47 PM
October 5, 1993 - Game #1 of the A.L.C.S. is a complete unmitigated disaster both on and off the field for the Sox. On the field, Toronto rips the Sox 7 - 3 but by the middle of the game, not one fan cares. Michael Jordan who threw out the ceremonial first pitch confirms reports that he is holding a press conference the next morning to announce his retirement from the Bulls. Fans at the game and around the city are in shock. Adding insult to injury, future Hall Of Fame catcher Carlton Fisk and Chicago native and former Sox pitcher Donn Pall are turned away by security guards when they attempt to wish the team "good luck" in the locker room before the game started. The White Sox claim the rules were set by Major League Baseball but many fans and media members feel Fisk was turned away on explicit orders from Jerry Reinsdorf. Itís an insult Fisk never forgets. Reinsdorf then takes an unprecedented step of apologizing to the team in the clubhouse before the start of Game #2 saying he had no wish to take away their spotlight because of the Jordan situation.(Donn Pall describes what happened outside the locker room in his interview with White Sox Interactive.)

Lip

Good times, good times. :mad:

RetireWoodys28
10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
October 5, 1983 - Cy Young Award winner LaMarr Hoyt pitches a brilliant complete game, six hitter in beating the Orioles 2 - 1 in Game #1 of the A.L.C.S. Itís the first time since divisional playoffs started in 1969 that Baltimore ever lost the first game of a post season series. It would be the high water mark for the Sox in the next week.

Actually, it would prove to be the high water mark for the Sox for the next 10 years or so. :(:

Hitmen77
10-04-2006, 10:35 PM
10/5 is the anniversary of Iguchi's 5th inning, 3 run bomb off of Fat Wells to give the Sox the lead in Game 2 of the ALDS. I wish we could have some memories like that again this year.

For some reason, I was getting the Boston hometown announcers for that game instead of the network guys....

"Ground ball to Grafanino...OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Everybody's safe!!!":whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

batmanZoSo
10-04-2006, 10:38 PM
For some reason, I was getting the Boston hometown announcers for that game instead of the network guys....

"Ground ball to Grafanino...OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Everybody's safe!!!":whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

It's always great to be on the upside of an "ohhhhh nooooo." :wink:

I remember going back and forth between making dinner and watching that game, frustrated that we were losing, but when I saw that, I just had a feeling that it was about to rain **** on Boston.

BA: The Hitman
10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I think that ball going through graffanino's legs was when i knew it was going to be a special postseason run.....too bad we're not starting another one. But hey, at least the twins are down 2-0.

AnkleSox
10-05-2006, 01:50 AM
I think that ball going through graffanino's legs was when i knew it was going to be a special postseason run.....too bad we're not starting another one. But hey, at least the twins are down 2-0.

That was definitely huge for the "feeling" of everything falling in place. But I think the Sox actually scoring runs in the first game of the ALDS is what gave me that "feeling." The offensive failures of the 2000 and even 1993 playoffs to some extent, seemed to have been exorcised by that game.

DumpJerry
10-05-2006, 07:25 AM

I was at the game. All I heard was "ohhhhhhhh yesssssss!!!! We're coming back!":D:

jenn2080
10-05-2006, 07:44 AM

It's always great to be on the upside of an "ohhhhh nooooo." :wink:

I remember going back and forth between making dinner and watching that game, frustrated that we were losing, but when I saw that, I just had a feeling that it was about to rain **** on Boston.

I was at the game. All I heard was "ohhhhhhhh yesssssss!!!! We're coming back!":D:

I was on the ramp smoking when the ball went through his legs. The roar coming from inside was UNBELIEVABLE! Ah the good old days :whiner: :whiner:

TommyJohn
10-05-2006, 08:04 AM

Poor Leather. He sounded as if someone had kicked his dog.

0o0o0
10-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I was on the ramp smoking when the ball went through his legs. The roar coming from inside was UNBELIEVABLE! Ah the good old days :whiner: :whiner:

The "Ta-da-hi-to" chants walking down the ramps after the game were priceless. :nod:

Hitmen77
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM

Actually, it would prove to be the high water mark for the Sox for the next 10 years or so. :(:

....or arguably the next 22 years.

slavko
10-05-2006, 11:31 AM
October 5, 1908 - Sox pitcher "Big" Ed Walsh wins his 40th game of the season, beating Detroit 6 - 1. Itís a team record that will never be broken.

You haven't heard that MLB is going to a 300 game season for 2008?

DoItForDanPasqua
10-05-2006, 05:52 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/05/47Psn9Y3.jpg