PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox fire pitching AND hitting coach

Fenway
10-04-2006, 01:53 AM
This has raised a few eyebrows in RSN........

The Red Sox, in the wake of their third-place finish, severed ties with pitching coach Dave Wallace and hitting coach Ron ``Papa Jack" Jackson yesterday, and only two members of Terry Francona's coaching staff -- bench coach Brad Mills and third base coach DeMarlo Hale -- are assured of being back with the club next season.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/10/03/jackson_wallace_out/

Papa Jack was huge in the transformation of Ortiz...nobody understands this move

gbergman
10-04-2006, 01:56 AM
I can understand the pitching coach, but the hitting coach??? Maybe, they should replace the gm if they want to start right.

shoelessshaun27!
10-04-2006, 07:15 AM
I can understand the pitching coach, but the hitting coach??? Maybe, they should replace the gm if they want to start right.

i agree with gbergman, what a dumb move.

LuvSox
10-04-2006, 07:54 AM
He sucked as a hitting coach here.

Fenway
10-04-2006, 09:29 AM
they should replace the gm if they want to start right.

well Theo admits he had a bad year :rolleyes:

ummm one can argue Theo helped the Padres win the NL West

GM sees errors of his trades (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/10/01/gm_sees_errors_of_his_trades)

spiffie
10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
So the grace period is 2 years then? I hope the Sox win in 2007, or else I guess Kenny Williams is due to be sacked considering none of his moves worked out the way we hoped this year.

kevin57
10-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Actually, I wonder why the Sox didn't fire Greg Walker as hitting coach. He always seem to be under the radar, but the hitting performance of this team, especially in the second half, was insanely inconsistent. There were many series--in the second halfl--where I would bet our number of runs did not exceed what was achieved last season...and that's with Thome, Dye and Konerko in the middle of the order. :o:

Fenway
10-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Theo actually went on WEEI to "explain" Boston's lost season

http://media.weei.podzinger.com/archive/TheBigShow/2006-10-03_Theo_Epstein.mp3

The season ticket holders will renew for 07 but if next year goes bad people are going to think twice about paying sky high prices

skottyj242
10-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Who cares about the Red Sox.

DSpivack
10-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Who cares about the Red Sox.

Talking Baseball exists to talk about other teams beside the White Sox. Why bother responding or reading this thread if you don't care?

soxinem1
10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Actually, I wonder why the Sox didn't fire Greg Walker as hitting coach. He always seem to be under the radar, but the hitting performance of this team, especially in the second half, was insanely inconsistent. There were many series--in the second halfl--where I would bet our number of runs did not exceed what was achieved last season...and that's with Thome, Dye and Konerko in the middle of the order. :o:

Who will they replace him with, they have already fired all of his possible replacements since 1998?

Flight #24
10-05-2006, 03:25 PM
FWIW, supposedly the 2 main contestants for the BloSox pitching coach job are the Indians Director of player personnell and.......White Sox roving pitching coach Kirk Champion.

Dunno much about Kirk, but I'd hate to lose any good coaches. Still, it's a feather in the cap of the org if they have highly sought after guys I guess.

Fenway
10-05-2006, 03:30 PM
The purge continues in Boston

Popular radio voice Jerry Trupiano appears out to be replaced by a Red Sox PR guy who used to do radio for the Padres :whiner:

October26
10-05-2006, 03:37 PM
This has raised a few eyebrows in RSN........

The Red Sox, in the wake of their third-place finish, severed ties with pitching coach Dave Wallace and hitting coach Ron ``Papa Jack" Jackson yesterday, and only two members of Terry Francona's coaching staff -- bench coach Brad Mills and third base coach DeMarlo Hale -- are assured of being back with the club next season.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/10/03/jackson_wallace_out/

Papa Jack was huge in the transformation of Ortiz...nobody understands this move

Thanks, fenway. I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years (I've been visting this site for awhile even though I recently joined).

Question for you, do people really think Papa Jack transformed Ortiz? Ortiz looked like a good hitter back in Minnesota. Are there steroid suspicions around Ortiz?

Fenway
10-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks, fenway. I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years (I've been visting this site for awhile even though I recently joined).

Question for you, do people really think Papa Jack transformed Ortiz? Ortiz looked like a good hitter back in Minnesota. Are there steroid suspicions around Ortiz?

Ortiz was messed up by the Twins who tried to make him into a singles hitter :o: ( Ryan admits they blew it ) Papa Jack helped him go back to what he was.

No steroid suspicions whatsover ( not even by Yankees fans )