PDA

View Full Version : How To Deal With Family Members Who Are Cub Fans


VeeckAsInWreck
03-01-2002, 06:03 PM
My Dad and Uncle are Cubs fans, what should I do????? :?:

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
My Dad and Uncle are Cubs fans, what should I do????? :?: make a joke and call them heathens.........

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
make a joke and call them heathens......... next by them a " i love white sox tee shirt"

Daver
03-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
My Dad and Uncle are Cubs fans, what should I do????? :?:


Laugh at them every time they bring the subject up.Just laugh,shake your head and walk away.

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
My Dad and Uncle are Cubs fans, what should I do????? :?: Thank God they didn't pass the genetic mutation on to you. Your chances of escaping without contracting the disease were very low, yet you made it. Just be thankful. :smile:

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by daver



Laugh at them every time they bring the subject up.Just laugh,shake your head and walk away. lmao and then you should buy them some white sox tickets for father day

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Thank God they didn't pass the genetic mutation on to you. Your chances of escaping without contracting the disease were very low, yet you made it. Just be thankful. :smile: lmao that is sooo funny

VeeckAsInWreck
03-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Thanks for your support guys. I am so tired about hearing how we gave them Sosa. They can keep him. They've had him since '92 and how many titles do they have????

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Thanks for your support guys. I am so tired about hearing how we gave them Sosa. They can keep him. They've had him since '92 and how many titles do they have???? go and get them a bottle of geritol and tell them its their age that is affecting their taste in good b-ball

AsInWreck
03-01-2002, 06:25 PM
You could have a heated argument over who has the cooler screen name.:)

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
You could have a heated argument over who has the cooler screen name.:) i am sorry, i am a little distracted but what did you mean???????

AsInWreck
03-01-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i am sorry, i am a little distracted but what did you mean???????


See original thread starter's name - see my name -
see?

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i am sorry, i am a little distracted but what did you mean???????

You quoted the post created by "AsInWreck" the person who started this thread is called "VeeckAsInWreck". So as you can see their handles are similar.

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


You quoted the post created by "AsInWreck" the person who started this thread is called "VeeckAsInWreck". So as you can see their handles are similar. ohhhh dah. man i am lacking some obvious humor today, where people have to explain things........ maybe its my age.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
You could have a heated argument over who has the cooler screen name.:)

.....Why Can't We Be Friends...(Sung to the tune of the same name by "War")
Anyway, I chose it because it's my favorite book. Why did you???

PaleHoseGeorge
03-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
My Dad and Uncle are Cubs fans, what should I do????? :?:

I agree with West. You're a medical miracle, VAIW. I think the Center for Disease Control would like a sample of your brain tissue.

BTW, welcome to WSI!

:gulp:

AsInWreck
03-01-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck


.....Why Can't We Be Friends...(Sung to the tune of the same name by "War")
Anyway, I chose it because it's my favorite book. Why did you???

Because i always thought veeck seemed like a cool dude, and mainly it happened to pop into my head at the time. Anyway, welcome to the looney house

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck


Because i always thought veeck seemed like a cool dude, and mainly it happened to pop into my head at the time. that does sound pretty cool after you explain your name.......

VeeckAsInWreck
03-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


I agree with West. You're a medical miracle, VAIW. I think the Center for Disease Control would like a sample of your brain tissue.

BTW, welcome to WSI!

:gulp:

Thanks for the warm welcome. At last! , I feel like I a :D: m with my true family!

Daver
03-01-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck


Thanks for the warm welcome. At last! , I feel like I a :D: m with my true family!

As dysfunctional as it may be.........................................

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck


Thanks for the warm welcome. At last! , I feel like I a :D: m with my true family! sorry i didn't know.......... welcome

VeeckAsInWreck
03-01-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck


Because i always thought veeck seemed like a cool dude, and mainly it happened to pop into my head at the time. Anyway, welcome to the looney house


Thanks man, I agree with you all the way. Baseball could sure another Bill Veeck. I think we should give the whole front office a copy of his book so that they too can get what it is all about...US, the fans. :)

Pete_SSAC
03-01-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Thanks for your support guys. I am so tired about hearing how we gave them Sosa. They can keep him. They've had him since '92 and how many titles do they have????

Don't worry, you'll be able to use Garland soon enough.

- Pete

Daver
03-01-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


Don't worry, you'll be able to use Garland soon enough.

- Pete

Ask them how Karchner is doing when you bring it up.

RedPinStripes
03-01-2002, 08:23 PM
I usually make it a point to wear my "cubs suck shirt" to family events and i terrorize my cub fan family members with cub hate pics via email. Fortunatly, there is only one side of my family that likes the cubs. I put them through hell too. :D:

Pete_SSAC
03-01-2002, 08:51 PM
Well, as some may know, I have four Fnatasy leauge teams, one WSI one, one Cubs vs Sox one, and two little side ones.

Well, teh board on the side one has had some idiot Cub fan (of course) screaming that he'll crush everyone because he has a bunch of Cub players, and I-Rod.

After laughing, I replied:

"Nothing says terror like Delino DeShields. And you're going on about Sammy, but let me tell you, Although in real life Sammy may be single handedly carring a team, it won't amount to jack in fantasy."

:nocubs

- Pete

doublem23
03-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Just your dad and uncle? Consider yourself lucky! My ENTIRE family are Cub fans...

My advice? Spend time on WSI!

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-01-2002, 09:27 PM
just show them some of the hate cub images and sigs you see on this board. it really angers my 2 bros when they see these. plus, cubssuck shirts are always fun at family parties.

CubKilla
03-01-2002, 09:28 PM
Some members of my step-family are so diehard sCrUB fans that they have refused to speak with me ever since I sent them the, "How to Improve Wrigley.....," sig. Say what you will about the Cubs but NEVER make a joke about the Unfriendly Confined.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-01-2002, 09:38 PM
In fact, i had a "series of battles" over territory with a cub fan brother this past season during intraleague. Not pretty, but Carlos Lee pretty much silenced him until the next series. Also, remind them who Maggs hit an allstar HR off of, thats right, john lieber. :sox

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Just your dad and uncle? Consider yourself lucky! My ENTIRE family are Cub fans...

My advice? Spend time on WSI! how do you deal with it??????? serious are they on your case during the summer?

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
Some members of my step-family are so diehard sCrUB fans that they have refused to speak with me ever since I sent them the, "How to Improve Wrigley.....," sig. Say what you will about the Cubs but NEVER make a joke about the Unfriendly Confined. LMAO you should send them the wrigley on fire pict......... that is the best


you know what........ how bout the shirt of pete with the sCrubs on it......... i bet they would not realize the s for a while......

doublem23
03-01-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
how do you deal with it??????? serious are they on your case during the summer?

They rib me about it, but since they aren't as big of baseball fans as I am, they stay pretty quite. Last year was rough, but it all worked out in the end.

Pete_SSAC
03-01-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
how bout the shirt of pete with the sCrubs on it

Am I missing something?

- Pete

Daver
03-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


Am I missing something?

- Pete

Well why should now be any different?

doublem23
03-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


Am I missing something?

- Pete

:scrubs

Pete_SSAC
03-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by daver


Well why should now be any different?

Yes, but why am I on the shirt?

- Pete

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


Am I missing something?

- Pete sorry i was trying to say...... your sig or the sig that you used on the prevous post you posted......... it had the sCrubs sig on it.......... when at a quick glance i never saw the "s"............ but after looking at it i saw it........... it would fool a lot of people at first glance as it did me.......... that is all.


btw how would i know what you look like????????

Pete_SSAC
03-01-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
btw how would i know what you look like????????

:andy

- Pete

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


:andy

- Pete great come back............ lmao........ a good one. :)

JoeBatters
03-01-2002, 11:01 PM
Are you seriuos ? Let's see , a gun , posion , a knife , em-pregnaet < sp > them and blame it on there dad , order season tickits in there name and use them , take them to addison and halsted and leave 'em next to a rainbow , my god the possibilities are endless........................................... .. yup

DVG
03-02-2002, 12:31 AM
To: Pete SSAC
Re: Picture


Hey, Pete. Where'd ya get that cool picture of Terry Bevington?

voodoochile
03-02-2002, 01:14 AM
Go with the head to head records... There is nothing they can say...

For the record those records are:

Games in 2001: 4-2 Sox
Series in 2001: 2-0 Sox
Regular Season Games - all time: 13-11 Sox
Regular season Series - all time: 5-3 Sox
World Series: 1-0 Sox

If that doesn't phase them point out the problems with ShamMEMEME's charity (including the money that went to buy his brother a car and the free rent his sisters are receiving in the mall the charity built and the fact that ShamMEMEME hasn't contributed dime one to his own charity), then call ShamMEMEME a wife beater... That's always good for a purple face or two and a hearty laugh...

Hope this helps your war, but I cannot guarantee it will help family unity...

*** 'em - they're flubbie fans anyway...

LongDistanceFan
03-02-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by DVG
To: Pete SSAC
Re: Picture


Hey, Pete. Where'd ya get that cool picture of Terry Bevington? man that was cold :D:

Daver
03-02-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile



Hope this helps your war, but I cannot guarantee it will help family unity...

*** 'em - they're flubbie fans anyway...

TWANG............................................. .................................................. ...Thump.

Need I say more?

Nellie_Fox
03-02-2002, 01:33 AM
Tell them that you're going to miss them.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-02-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Go with the head to head records... There is nothing they can say...

For the record those records are:

Games in 2001: 4-2 Sox
Series in 2001: 2-0 Sox
Regular Season Games - all time: 13-11 Sox
Regular season Series - all time: 5-3 Sox
World Series: 1-0 Sox

If that doesn't phase them point out the problems with ShamMEMEME's charity (including the money that went to buy his brother a car and the free rent his sisters are receiving in the mall the charity built and the fact that ShamMEMEME hasn't contributed dime one to his own charity), then call ShamMEMEME a wife beater... That's always good for a purple face or two and a hearty laugh...

Hope this helps your war, but I cannot guarantee it will help family unity...

*** 'em - they're flubbie fans anyway...



Damn!, you cant argue with logic and stats like that.
Thanx voodoochile! :D:

foulkesfan11
03-02-2002, 09:49 AM
The stats say it all! Enough said!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Go with the head to head records... There is nothing they can say...

For the record those records are:

Games in 2001: 4-2 Sox
Series in 2001: 2-0 Sox
Regular Season Games - all time: 13-11 Sox
Regular season Series - all time: 5-3 Sox
World Series: 1-0 Sox

If that doesn't phase them point out the problems with ShamMEMEME's charity (including the money that went to buy his brother a car and the free rent his sisters are receiving in the mall the charity built and the fact that ShamMEMEME hasn't contributed dime one to his own charity), then call ShamMEMEME a wife beater... That's always good for a purple face or two and a hearty laugh...

Hope this helps your war, but I cannot guarantee it will help family unity...

*** 'em - they're flubbie fans anyway...

You know voodoo is spot on with his analysis. To most sports fans, this would be definitive truth. Of course, we're talking about Flubs fans here. To them, baseball isn't a sport as much as it is an excuse to get drunk on a sunny afternoon.

:smile:

So all of us know precisely which direction the average Flubs fan will turn when the argument over stats inevitably goes against them: attendance.

Remind them of all those capacity crowds in October, excitedly waiting for the pennant to be raised, "2002 Cubs--Bitchin' Attendance Champions!"

Then there will be a tremendous champagne-soaked party in the clubhouse, where the president of the Tribune will accept a trophy from the commissioner of baseball inscribed, "Fullest bikini tops in baseball."

There will be the familiar Flubs attendance championship party in Grant Park. All the Flubbies will march out onto stage holding all six of their previous championship trophies:

"Nicest ass"
"Most happening bar"
"Easiest spot to be overserved"
"Lamest seventh inning schtick"
"Best excuse for getting out of Iowa for the weekend"
"Least likely to know the final score"

Everyone cheers wildly. Then they go home, beat their chest about loyalty, send a few more thousand dollars the Cubune's way, and repeat the process next year--hopefully not in last place.

Now, that will make them cry.

Where but WSI can you get these sorts of insights?
:gulp:

Daver
03-02-2002, 10:06 PM
You forgot to mention who's cellphone battery will last the entire game PHG.Back to the fryer.

voodoochile
03-03-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by daver
You forgot to mention who's cellphone battery will last the entire game PHG.Back to the fryer.

If they deny the cellphone image, you can point out that there is a cellular transmission tower attached to the Wrigley Field in the left field bleachers... no joke here.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-03-2002, 02:05 PM
I enjoyed this topic. I married into cub fans. My wife is one of ten kids and about 7 or so are big cubbie fans. (My wife isn't, even though she thinks I am way out of control on bashing cub fans) Plus their marriage partners. At family gatherings at my house, my side gather together as the Sox fans and their side gravitates together as cub fans. A couple of years ago when my a lot on my side of the family couldn't make it they took my Sox flag from in front of the house and threatened to burn it. They are very weird. Quite honestly, none of them know anything substantial about baseball. Their biggest comeback is usually something stupid like "cubs rule" or "the cubs are a real team". Anyone with cub fans in their family know that it is hopeless. Christmas is usually where we start right back up from last season. It sets a festive mood around the tree tossing insults back and forth.
:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
I enjoyed this topic. I married into cub fans. My wife is one of ten kids and about 7 or so are big cubbie fans. (My wife isn't, even though she thinks I am way out of control on bashing cub fans) Plus their marriage partners. At family gatherings at my house, my side gather together as the Sox fans and their side gravitates together as cub fans. A couple of years ago when my a lot on my side of the family couldn't make it they took my Sox flag from in front of the house and threatened to burn it. They are very weird. Quite honestly, none of them know anything substantial about baseball. Their biggest comeback is usually something stupid like "cubs rule" or "the cubs are a real team". Anyone with cub fans in their family know that it is hopeless. Christmas is usually where we start right back up from last season. It sets a festive mood around the tree tossing insults back and forth.
:gulp:

A woman at SoxFest came up to the WSI booth and asked to buy one of our totally biased Sox Fan t-shirts. She told me it was to tease her Cubs fan husband. I told her mixed marriages never work. She laughed.

How's that for totally biased attitude?

:smile:

Lisa
03-03-2002, 02:31 PM
Requirements for significant others:
1. Must know baseball.
2. Must be a Sox fan or willing to convert (get that in writing)
3. Must swear to raise all potential future children Sox fans (get that in writing too)

As far as your family, VAIW, just ask them to name the whole 25-man roster. And remind them that Sam-me only counts for one spot. For extra fun, make them connect the name with position played.

Paulwny
03-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


A woman at SoxFest came up to the WSI booth and asked to buy one of our totally biased Sox Fan t-shirts. She told me it was to tease her Cubs fan husband. I told her mixed marriages never work. She laughed.

How's that for totally biased attitude?

:smile:

LOL
If she was ~ 30yrs old, it might have been my daughter. Did she buy the shirt? My birthday is a few months away.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-03-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
LOL
If she was ~ 30yrs old, it might have been my daughter. Did she buy the shirt? My birthday is a few months away.

I'm not sure of her age, but she definitely bought the shirt. It will be an extra special birthday!

:smile:

bradp
03-04-2002, 12:46 PM
I would consider not reproducing; what if being a Cub fan is a recessive gene in the family?

Other than that, if you're Catholic, you light a lot of candles at the St. Jude shrine nearest you.

moochpuppy
03-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
My Dad and Uncle are Cubs fans, what should I do????? :?:

Humor them, they've been through enough shame and humiliation.

Oh, BTW, can you ask them when "Cell Phone Day" is this season? Thanks.

:D:

LongDistanceFan
03-04-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy


Humor them, they've been through enough shame and humiliation.

that is funny i still think he should build up a trip to the baseball game and then take them to see the sox.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Lisa
Requirements for significant others:
1. Must know baseball.
2. Must be a Sox fan or willing to convert (get that in writing)
3. Must swear to raise all potential future children Sox fans (get that in writing too)

As far as your family, VAIW, just ask them to name the whole 25-man roster. And remind them that Sam-me only counts for one spot. For extra fun, make them connect the name with position played.



Thanks Lisa, I think we should start a Sox version of the dating game going. All contestants must abide by these rules (We'll get that in writing too!) :D:
As far as my family or any other sCrUBS fan goes, I have asked them to name 5...yes... one,two,three,four,five other sCrUBS on their team and they couldn't do it.
All of my experimental lab monkeys managed to name Sam-me and Kid K(rappy).
84% thought that Santo is playing third. :?:
the other 16% said "I like Ivy".
:veeck

VeeckAsInWreck
03-05-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy


Humor them, they've been through enough shame and humiliation.

Oh, BTW, can you ask them when "Cell Phone Day" is this season? Thanks.

:D:


Actually as a service to sCrUB fans. Rumor has it that the first 10,000 fans on opening day will get free brain tumor removals.
:b&b

I am the great Sox-holio!!!!