PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone see Sheffield in MN next year?

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 07:47 PM
For some reason, I had that thought when he came up tonight.

The Yankees aren't going to pick up his option for $13.5 million, so they will buy him out.

With the money off the books for Radke, Rondell White, Silva (probably), they could theoretically afford to keep Hunter AND pay Sheffield $8-10 million or an incentives-based deal. I can't imagine them letting Hunter go, keeping Tyner as a starter and NOT getting another veteran. They COULD do that, they have Kubel, but I'm not sure if his knees will hold up over a full season. Interesting decision for Ryan.

The main thing that seems to gravitate against this is playing on turf for half a season.

I also wonder if KW might take a look at Sheffield for LF, ONLY if he could find a better leadoff option to play SS.

samram
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
A more interesting question is who plays first for NY next year. They're not going with Andy Phillips and if Giambi could play there, Sheff would be DHing tonight. So do they let Sheff play there for $13M next season or do they go and get someone else who would probably be making that type of money for another 4-5 years (Helton, Sexson)? The free agent crop at 1B is not very good this year.

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 08:34 PM
A more interesting question is who plays first for NY next year. They're not going with Andy Phillips and if Giambi could play there, Sheff would be DHing tonight. So do they let Sheff play there for $13M next season or do they go and get someone else who would probably be making that type of money for another 4-5 years (Helton, Sexson)? The free agent crop at 1B is not very good this year.

Sexson is just such an undisciplined, all-or-nothing hitter. For some reason, I just don't see him as a Yankee.

I think Helton would be the safer pick, and the short RF porch and doubles alleys would play to his game, but he's getting up there in age. Then again, the Yankees took a chance with Tino at the tail end of his career and it worked out wonderfully.

That Yankees line-up is just amazing. 9 All-Stars. Of course, their starting pitching is short, and so is their bullpen....but Abreu has really added another element. When you have A-Rod 6th and Matsui 7th, it's just hard for any starter to get through that line-up unscathed.

My guess is they let Sheffield go, simply because they've got all those goofy contracts on the books still, like Carl Pavano. All bets are off if they win the WS though.

Boston has really gotten themselves in a difficult hole, if you look at the direction of the two teams over the last 12 months.

samram
10-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Sexson is just such an undisciplined, all-or-nothing hitter. For some reason, I just don't see him as a Yankee.

I think Helton would be the safer pick, and the short RF porch and doubles alleys would play to his game, but he's getting up there in age. Then again, the Yankees took a chance with Tino at the tail end of his career and it worked out wonderfully.

That Yankees line-up is just amazing. 9 All-Stars. Of course, their starting pitching is short, and so is their bullpen....but Abreu has really added another element. When you have A-Rod 6th and Matsui 7th, it's just hard for any starter to get through that line-up unscathed.

My guess is they let Sheffield go, simply because they've got all those goofy contracts on the books still, like Carl Pavano. All bets are off if they win the WS though.

Boston has really gotten themselves in a difficult hole, if you look at the direction of the two teams over the last 12 months.

Is there anything more on the Pavano issue? Weren't they hinting at trying to get out of that contract after his accident? Mussina is also a FA, so maybe they would let Sheffield go just to shore up the starting rotation.

As for the Twins, I just can't see them taking on a guy who will demand at least $10M. My guess is they commit some dollars to Mauer and Morneau and see what happens with Hunter and Stewart. If they were going to sign a big money player, I think Soriano is a better fit with them unless his price tag starts approaching $13M. They definitely will not be going with RonDL White in 2007 in LF.

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Is there anything more on the Pavano issue? Weren't they hinting at trying to get out of that contract after his accident? Mussina is also a FA, so maybe they would let Sheffield go just to shore up the starting rotation.

As for the Twins, I just can't see them taking on a guy who will demand at least $10M. My guess is they commit some dollars to Mauer and Morneau and see what happens with Hunter and Stewart. If they were going to sign a big money player, I think Soriano is a better fit with them unless his price tag starts approaching $13M. They definitely will not be going with RonDL White in 2007 in LF.

Soriano will be too expensive.

I think Stewart is a risk simply because of his age, injury history, playing on the turf. Maybe they'll keep him for a low base with incentives and alternate with Kubel to rest his knee on the turf as well.

There has been speculation that the Yankees will try to void the remaining two years of Pavano's contract, but Cashman said it is far too early to talk about that. The team's internal investigation into the accident has not been completed, and Cashman declined to discuss possible penalties until he has collected all of the facts.
"We don't have any facts on anything that has happened," Cashman said. "We're certainly investigating, and if there's something for us that's worth disciplining, we're going to pursue that to discipline. That's as far as I'll go on that."

from whitesox.com

Note: Pavano has two more years on his contract.

Gregory Pratt
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I really would hate to see Gary Sheffield on the White Sox next year. I could never root for him.

Who's your dealer?

buehrle4cy05
10-03-2006, 10:12 PM
I'd bet that Sheffield retires after this year. His shoulder is beyond repair and I honestly can't see him DH'ing for somebody for a cheap contract.

Domeshot17
10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Here is my predictions if Sheff leaves, which im not sure he will, because he looks really solid at first right now

1b for the yankees next year NOMAH

Sheffield will play in 1 of the 3 locations (all would overpay for him) the North Side of Chicago, Texas, or, where my gut really tells me he is going, Anaheim: They have money spend, need a big time power hitter and their OF needs to be rebuilt

samram
10-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Here is my predictions if Sheff leaves, which im not sure he will, because he looks really solid at first right now

Sheffield will play in 1 of the 3 locations (all would overpay for him) the North Side of Chicago, Texas, or, where my gut really tells me he is going, Anaheim: They have money spend, need a big time power hitter and their OF needs to be rebuilt

I think Soriano could end up in Anaheim.

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 10:44 PM

They need to get rid of Anderson, Sheffield obviously wouldn't play RF, but they probably SHOULD keep Figgins, as he was the igniter of that offense.

When do the contracts of Salmon and Anderson expire? I think Erstad's done, but not sure about the other two. I wonder if Anderson is through as a stud player or if he will come back from his injuries next year...

Sox-o-matic
10-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't see anyone good added to the Minnesota roster next year.

Here's my predicted Minny lineup:

3B Punto
2B Castillo
C Mauer
DH Moises Alou
1B Morneau
RF Cuddyer
LF Kubel
SS Bartlett
CF Tyner

Rotation: Santana, Boner, Garza, Chan Ho Park, Baker/Silva

getonbckthr
10-03-2006, 11:55 PM

3B Punto
2B Castillo
C Mauer
DH Moises Alou
1B Morneau
RF Cuddyer
LF Kubel
SS Bartlett
CF Tyner

Never amaze me matic.

DSpivack
10-04-2006, 12:00 AM
They need to get rid of Anderson, Sheffield obviously wouldn't play RF, but they probably SHOULD keep Figgins, as he was the igniter of that offense.

When do the contracts of Salmon and Anderson expire? I think Erstad's done, but not sure about the other two. I wonder if Anderson is through as a stud player or if he will come back from his injuries next year...

I'm not so sure on Erstad (yeah, he might be done, but that doesn't mean he's retiring), but Salmon for sure is retiring.

samram
10-04-2006, 08:35 AM

3B Punto
2B Castillo
C Mauer
DH Moises Alou
1B Morneau
RF Cuddyer
LF Kubel
SS Bartlett
CF Tyner

I was thinking Alou was a possibility for them too on a one year deal.

caulfield12
10-04-2006, 08:43 AM
I was thinking Alou was a possibility for them too on a one year deal.

If you could have Alou or Sheffield for, let's say, $8 million, wouldn't you take Sheffield, who's familiar with the AL already?

And no way that Tyner plays CF 145-150 games for the Twins next year, they're smarter than that (whoever said that).

samram
10-04-2006, 09:46 AM
If you could have Alou or Sheffield for, let's say, $8 million, wouldn't you take Sheffield, who's familiar with the AL already?

And no way that Tyner plays CF 145-150 games for the Twins next year, they're smarter than that (whoever said that).

The problem is Sheffield won't take a one year deal, certainly not for $8M, and the Twins won't be willing to give him a three year deal, IMO. They could get Alou for a year though.

And no, they won't have Tyner in center. I wonder if they would go after Pierre and team him with Castillo again, then try to gain some RH power at 3B (Aramis Ramirez perhaps, if they didn't mind dealing with his ****).

caulfield12
10-04-2006, 10:59 AM
The problem is Sheffield won't take a one year deal, certainly not for $8M, and the Twins won't be willing to give him a three year deal, IMO. They could get Alou for a year though.

And no, they won't have Tyner in center. I wonder if they would go after Pierre and team him with Castillo again, then try to gain some RH power at 3B (Aramis Ramirez perhaps, if they didn't mind dealing with his ****).

Doubt it, the whole reason they started playing better was Punto at 3B and Bartlett at SS.

They tried the power route with Batista and it didn't take.

samram
10-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Doubt it, the whole reason they started playing better was Punto at 3B and Bartlett at SS.

They tried the power route with Batista and it didn't take.

Batista is washed up though and can they really expect Punto to repeat 2006 in 2007?

caulfield12
10-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Batista is washed up though and can they really expect Punto to repeat 2006 in 2007?

I don't know...I just don't see them breaking up a successful infield combination (even if they lose to the A's) in the offseason.

It would have been like the White Sox trading one of their starters this past offseason (assuming they would slump this year)...the business of predicting future success is definitely hit and miss. And it doesn't seem to be Ryan's style. Once something is going well, he becomes conservative and hesitant to change the chemistry, afraid to make the big move and sacrifice pieces from their minor league system.

Domeshot17
10-04-2006, 02:52 PM
I would bet money that alou doesnt touch 8 million, maybe 5 with incentives, but not 8, and that Sheffield doesnt get under 10.

shoelessshaun27!
10-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I can see that.

soxinem1
10-04-2006, 09:18 PM
If the Yanks fall short in the playoffs, some of these hitters are hitting the road. Zito, and others, will probably wearing NYY pinstripes in 2007.