PDA

View Full Version : How soon do you think KW will get underway?

Frontman
10-03-2006, 06:11 PM
As I usually don't pay much attention to off-season moves for any sport, as my attention is on the sport currently in season (BEARS!) how soon do you think we'll learn who Kenny is wheeling and dealin'? What is his usual MO, and how does the league normally work with this type of stuff? (Obviously, the 8 teams in post season play aren't dealing yet, but ESPN was reporting the Indians already have made some moves.)

Maybe since its just over, and maybe because I'm very disappointed in watching almost every team in the post season have former Sox players, I'm anticipating the first moves the Sox make to get back into post-season ball in 2007.

Thanks in advance.

Front

anewman35
10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
As I usually don't pay much attention to off-season moves for any sport, as my attention is on the sport currently in season (BEARS!) how soon do you think we'll learn who Kenny is wheeling and dealin'? What is his usual MO, and how does the league normally work with this type of stuff? (Obviously, the 8 teams in post season play aren't dealing yet, but ESPN was reporting the Indians already have made some moves.)

The Indians moves were just picking up some options on people. It's really unlikely there will be any trades or anything until after the World Series.

sox1970
10-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Free Agents can file for free agency starting the day after the World Series ends. The filing period lasts 15 days, then they can start signing with new teams. I wouldn't expect any moves until after Thanksgiving, except for dealing with the options on their own players.

ilsox7
10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
November 15.

cbotnyse
10-03-2006, 06:26 PM
when are the winter meetings for GMs? I dont think many deals happen before then. I could be wrong though. I dont pay attention too much in the offseason.

we be jake
10-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Does anyone think there will be a major overhaul? I think not. But, if there is a melt down again next season...look out!

Domeshot17
10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
hopefully before sox fest

Frontman
10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
The Indians moves were just picking up some options on people. It's really unlikely there will be any trades or anything until after the World Series.

Now those options, that's like what the Sox are facing with Burhele, correct?

Front

Sox-o-matic
10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
He's already planning...
http://www.petebeck.com/latest/images/drweird.jpg

mjmcend
10-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Now those options, that's like what the Sox are facing with Burhele, correct?

Front

You betcha. Dye and Iguchi have team options as well. All three will be picked up.

SoxFan76
10-03-2006, 08:17 PM
KW (and all other GMs) are constantly going over the moves they want/need to make.

whitesoxwilkes
10-03-2006, 08:23 PM
when are the winter meetings for GMs? I dont think many deals happen before then. I could be wrong though. I dont pay attention too much in the offseason.

December 4th through 7th, in Orlando.

jabrch
10-03-2006, 08:36 PM
He's already underway... You can sure bet he has a set of plans in play, and has had conversations already to start the wheels in motion.

ondafarm
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
My guess: while KW has some plans in place and some of the obvious decisions have been made.

1) pick up team options on Iguchi, Dye and Buehrle

2) buy out Hermanson, but talk to his agent about a new contract

3) find out what kind of numbers most of the arbitration eligible guys want in way to new contracts (except Pods)

Apart from that, I think KW will wait until Ozzie is back from his vacation of a few weeks.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2006, 09:26 PM
The Sox organizational meetings are next month according to Roland Hemond. That's where everyone from scouts to Kenny's support staff get together and review the season, the players on the big league roster, the minor leaguer players and possible targets on other teams.

I wouldn't think Kenny would do anything until after he gets everyone's opinions and he can form an off season game plan. Plus he needs to meet with ownership and see what the 2007 budget is going to be.

Lip

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I guess the biggest drama is whether Crede is willing or not to sign a multi-year deal through 2009 or if Boras and Joe want to go the FA route (like Konerko) at least to see what's out there.

And, whether Joe's back will go out and he will regret signing a one year deal or going to arbitration.

batmanZoSo
10-03-2006, 09:50 PM
KW (and all other GMs) are constantly going over the moves they want/need to make.

KW already has this year's, next year's, and the moves of the following year mapped out, booked, and all possible alternate universes/variables accounted for.

So to answer the question of 'when will KW get underway?' He has already begun--and finished. :mg:

:tongue:

Sox-o-matic
10-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I guess the biggest drama is whether Crede is willing or not to sign a multi-year deal through 2009 or if Boras and Joe want to go the FA route (like Konerko) at least to see what's out there.

And, whether Joe's back will go out and he will regret signing a one year deal or going to arbitration.

Agreed. Crede's situation could very well determine what direction the Sox decide to take with a number of players next year and beyond.

If Crede signs long term and appears healthy, Fields will probably be traded. If not and Crede is dealt, Fields starts at 3B and salary room is made available for use in one or more of several different areas.

harwar
10-04-2006, 08:30 AM
I would think that KW is up in the mountains,diving near an atoll in the Cook islands,or just relaxing with friends and family,with no mention of White Sox Baseball allowed for a time.
Sometimes you have to put yourself out of focus,much like the Japanese Shogun,who would take little one or two day breaks in the middle of a battle,even the most battle-hardened need a release now and then.

Steelrod
10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I would think that KW is up in the mountains,diving near an atoll in the Cook islands,or just relaxing with friends and family,with no mention of White Sox Baseball allowed for a time.
Sometimes you have to put yourself out of focus,much like the Japanese Shogun,who would take little one or two day breaks in the middle of a battle,even the most battle-hardened need a release now and then.
Idon't think he ever takes a vacation from baseball!!

IlliniSox
10-04-2006, 12:08 PM
He's already planning...

I'd love to get a look at the big board in his office he always talks about. It has just about every name in the organization, and outside it I'd assume.

DumpJerry
10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
KW already has this year's, next year's, and the moves of the following year mapped out, booked, and all possible alternate universes/variables accounted for.

So to answer the question of 'when will KW get underway?' He has already begun--and finished. :mg:

:tongue:

The White Sox have the equivalent of a "war room" where they have player moves for the next three-four years mapped out. KW has known where the prospects are headed, barring injury, etc. Kenny cannot talk to any other team's players until the FA period starts (otherwise it's tampering). Most trades take place or are started at the Winter Meeting, expect FA signings before that so he knows what he needs to deal for.

Idon't think he ever takes a vacation from baseball!!

KW is not in the mountains, etc. Any MLB GM who does that this time of year becomes unemployed. I imagine KW might take a day or two off around Christmas and New Year's, so long as he is able to get a cell phone signal.