PDA

View Full Version : my trade idea

Whitesox4ever
10-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Javy Vazquez to Houston for Brad Lidge

Lidge will give us another great arm in the bullpen and the trade gives Houston a starting pitcher since Clemens will probably retired and Pettite is a free-agent and it saves us alot of money that we can spend on LF/CF

What do you all think of this deal

voodoochile
10-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Why not just move Javy to the pen?

munchman33
10-03-2006, 06:18 PM

Lidge doesn't make as much money as Javy does. But I see your point, Javy has great stuff, and would probably do well in a setup role. I'd be interested to see how good he's been in the first two innings of starts.

Sox-o-matic
10-03-2006, 07:04 PM

Because a GM could trade him for a solid reliever and a prospect or two, and then he could use the extra savings to get one or two other players for the major league roster.

This is an example of why the amount of money a player makes most often determines his role. If KW doesn't think Javy can get it done as a starter he will move him to another team and take advantage of the opportunities such a move would give him.

Domeshot17
10-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I doubt the Astros will move Lidge. Maybe you could get Qualls and/or Wheeler off them for vaz.

Sox-o-matic
10-03-2006, 07:13 PM

Lidge will give us another great arm in the bullpen and the trade gives Houston a starting pitcher since Clemens will probably retired and Pettite is a free-agent and it saves us alot of money that we can spend on LF/CF

I think that if that were to happen and the Sox also nontendered Podsednik, the Twins would pick up Pods as their left fielder and he would absolutely murder the Sox every time Lidge tried to close a game.

I'd like to see KW try to get either a position player with one of the starters or attempt to get some quality prospects for a starter, which in turn could possibly be packaged with a Sox prospect for another ace, like Dontrelle Willis for example.

If KW can't do that, and if KW can't get impact player at an important position (i.e. Vernon Wells or Crawford who could play CF if needed, Michael Young or Brian Roberts as a 2B, Jimmy Rollins or Orlando Cabrera as a SS), I'd rather see KW pick up a nice prospect or two and hold on to them, either in hope of that prospect joining the big league club or for use in making a trade.

shoelessshaun27!
10-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I like your idea.

TDog
10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Certainly it would help Brad Lidge's career. He wouldn't be abused by White Sox hitters anymore. Not that he will have much of a chance to play against the White Sox if he stays with Houston.

If Lidge ever pitches for the Sox, I imagine a new cheer would become popular, going something like "Lidge, you suck!"

Lip Man 1
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Remember according to media reports Houston's owner 'ordered' Lidge traded around the deadline this year. That got out and a deal never happened but you wonder about Lidge's reaction to it all.

Regarding Vazquez in the pen, Mark Gonzales got a question on that tonight at the Tribune web site. It was the final batch of questions for the season. He said the Sox would never consider Javier in the bullpen with his salary.

Lip

buehrle4cy05
10-03-2006, 10:15 PM
This trade proposal is logical and could actually work. Houston is going to need another starter for next year (even if Clemens retires), and Lidge doesn't have a place on the team. He'd fit in nicely along with MacDougal and Thornton in setup for Jenks. People don't remember that Lidge was one of baseball's most dominant setup men a few years ago when he was in that nasty trio of Lidge/Dotel/Wagner. A return to a full-time setup role would take a lot of pressure off Lidge and he could return to his past success.

Whitesox4ever
10-03-2006, 10:29 PM
This trade proposal is logical and could actually work. Houston is going to need another starter for next year (even if Clemens retires), and Lidge doesn't have a place on the team. He'd fit in nicely along with MacDougal and Thornton in setup for Jenks. People don't remember that Lidge was one of baseball's most dominant setup men a few years ago when he was in that nasty trio of Lidge/Dotel/Wagner. A return to a full-time setup role would take a lot of pressure off Lidge and he could return to his past success.

That is exactly what I was thinking.. How dominant Lidge was as a set-up man.. My brother lives in Houston and he said that the fans and ownership is not to happy with Lidge.. I think a change of scenary is all this guys needs

Our bullpen would have 4 guys who throw in the high 90's that would be so deadly.. Especially if our 5 starters can have good seasons..

thomas35forever
10-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I still don't know if I can trust Lidge. He hasn't exactly been lights out since he gave up that home run to Pujols last year.

DumpJerry
10-03-2006, 10:44 PM
We already have Cotts to give up home runs to make games out of reach.

I would not worry about Pods killing us. He'll be in the National League next year where he belongs.

oeo
10-04-2006, 06:10 AM
We already have Cotts to give up home runs to make games out of reach.

I would not worry about Pods killing us. He'll be in the National League next year where he belongs.

One bad season vs. three very good ones. I'll take my chances that we'd get a good season out of Lidge.

And I also don't think Pujols' homerun has anything to do with his "problems" lately. I think it was just a coincidence; he ran out of gas last year and that is why Pujols hit the homerun, and now he had an off year. I think it's just a bunch of made up bull**** that he's having problems because of a homerun...that homerun did not knock them out, they won the very next day and advanced. And if it really is bothering him (I doubt it), then he's not made to be a closer; he wouldn't close games here unless something went horribly wrong with Jenks.

BigPapaPump
10-04-2006, 06:20 AM
I still don't know if I can trust Lidge. He hasn't exactly been lights out since he gave up that home run to Pujols last year.

I think that homerun is still in orbit somewhere around the rings of Saturn.:tongue:

October26
10-04-2006, 08:16 AM

I like the trade. I saw Brad Lidge pitch over the weekend in that St. Louis/Milwaukee series and he looked good - back to form. If he has worn out his welcome in Houston, I'll take my chances with him for the Sox.

Kenny seems to be collecting ex closers (Hermanson, MacDougal)

My yes vote is assuming that we also deal Neal Cotts, because as it was already stated, we don't need Cotts and Lidge - both coming out of the bullpen with the potential to give up the home run.

oeo
10-04-2006, 08:19 AM
I like the trade. I saw Brad Lidge pitch over the weekend in that St. Louis/Milwaukee series and he looked good - back to form. If he has worn out his welcome in Houston, I'll take my chances with him for the Sox.

Kenny seems to be collecting ex closers (Hermanson, MacDougal)

My yes vote is assuming that we also deal Neal Cotts, because as it was already stated, we don't need Cotts and Lidge - both coming out of the bullpen with the potential to give up the home run.

I don't think it matters who Kenny picks up, Kenny is pretty set on keeping Cotts; and at this point, we wouldn't get much for him anyway. Might as well hope and pray that he just had a terrible season, and he's back next year.

chisoxmike
10-04-2006, 09:37 AM

Lidge blew in the NL this year. Imagine how much he'd suck in the AL. No.