PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to Zito (not that we were ever going to sign him)

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Book it, five years, $75 million.

By the way, I wonder if Twins' fans are a little upset?

First loss this season at home by Santana. Beaten by ex-Sox star. No prime-time exposure. Twins were favorites in this series...I guess you can never feel cheated when you win the division, but they have Bonser, Radke and then probably Santana on 3 day's rest, when he hasn't been nearly as effective, and on the road.

Of course, nobody would be totally surprised if the Twins still won, lol.

Mickster
10-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Because he won a playoff game? :?:

Thank God you are not our GM.

AuroraSoxFan
10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
The guy is obviously going to get some big $$. Don't know about that much though. He really has been a bit inconsistent throughout his career. I'd say $10 mill a year would be more likely than $15.

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 03:06 PM
The guy is obviously going to get some big $$. Don't know about that much though. He really has been a bit inconsistent throughout his career. I'd say $10 mill a year would be more likely than $15.

Ummm...the White Sox never were going to sign him, whoever thought otherwise is nuts.

Look at the contracts and extensions for Oswalt and Beckett. Look at what AJ Burnett (5/55) got.

Zito's a former Cy Young winner, coming off a victory (on the road) against the best pitcher in baseball. He's the head of the FA class, just above Schmidt and Mussina because of his age.

Look at the money Farnsworth, Gordon, Eyre, Howry, Burnett, Rogers, Millwood and Byrd got last season.

He won't get anything UNDER $13 million per season.

In fact, Mickster, I'll wager anything you want to wager on that prediction (unless there's a find of collusion against owners)....so what do you want to lose?

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 03:07 PM

So you would pay him the same as Freddy Garcia and LESS than our fifth starter? Wonderful.

That would be as effective as our campaign to sign A-Rod.

Mickster
10-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Who has ever seriously stated that the sox would sign Zito?

Mickster
10-03-2006, 03:09 PM

Do you even know the deal with the "campaign" to sign A-Rod?

batmanZoSo
10-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't hand anything to the A's yet, they have a pretty damn good record in the first two games of playoff series in recent years. Games 3, 4 and 5, not so much.

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Who has ever seriously stated that the sox would sign Zito?

Believed, I don't know? Serious speculation...well, I can't tell if 75% of the people here are being serious normally. I've seen threads saying "serious trade idea" that wouldn't be taken seriously by most 13 year old bat boys.

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Do you even know the deal with the "campaign" to sign A-Rod?

KW was used to drive up the price and create more competition, hence, more demand...only one A-Rod, bigger contract. Although Hicks ended up essentially bidding against himself, nobody was within $10 million per year of their offer.

Mickster
10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Believed, I don't know? Serious speculation...well, I can't tell if 75% of the people here are being serious normally. I've seen threads saying "serious trade idea" that wouldn't be taken seriously by most 13 year old bat boys.

I have also seen "serious trade ideas" banded about where we get an all-star player while giving up a backup infielder coupled with a AA relief pitcher. I guess I am able to differentiate the good with the very very bad....

LauraJ14
10-03-2006, 03:15 PM
So you would pay him the same as Freddy Garcia and LESS than our fifth starter? Wonderful.

He's lefthanded, 28 years old, has won a Cy young, won 102 games in his career, has not been on the DL.
He deserves more money than AJ Burnett just not from the White Sox

The Dude
10-03-2006, 03:16 PM
:threadblows:

What a misleading title.:rolleyes:

Whats the score?

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 03:20 PM
I have also seen "serious trade ideas" banded about where we get an all-star player while giving up a backup infielder coupled with a AA relief pitcher. I guess I am able to differentiate the good with the very very bad....

And I have seen QUITE a few ideas BANDIED about of getting rid of two of our starters and replacing them in the rotation with Zito and McCarthy.

It's not 100% illogical. It's going to cost less than the Japanese hurler, who teams will bid millions just to get the RIGHT to negotiate with exclusively.

The 6 man depth chart actually worked against us this season.

And Broadway and Haeger aren't horrible insurance, either. A lot better than 90% of MLB teams have.

Mickster
10-03-2006, 03:20 PM

KW was used to drive up the price and create more competition, hence, more demand...only one A-Rod, bigger contract. Although Hicks ended up essentially bidding against himself, nobody was within $10 million per year of their offer.

The Sox offered $195M to A-Rod. Boras used our offer to get approx. $52M more from the Rangers, who had already offered A-Rod $200M. I guess I am not sure what you were saying in your first post quoted above. I am of the belief that a 10 year $195M offer from the Sox was quite good, considering he'd be playing in Chicago vs. Texas. He chose Texas and wanted out soon thereafter. What did Chicago do wrong there?

soxwon
10-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Im sure theres a thread somewher with Free Agents.
Who in Pitching is out there?
And who do you think we Will try to sign?
Im sure we will sign a capable decent starter not a superstar pitcher!!!
We will need one since Freddy and Vazquez appear going.

shoelessshaun27!
10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Hes not worth it, we can get at least 3 other good players with that money.

TDog
10-03-2006, 06:29 PM

By the way, I wonder if Twins' fans are a little upset?

First loss this season at home by Santana. Beaten by ex-Sox star. No prime-time exposure. Twins were favorites in this series...I guess you can never feel cheated when you win the division, but they have Bonser, Radke and then probably Santana on 3 day's rest, when he hasn't been nearly as effective, and on the road.

Of course, nobody would be totally surprised if the Twins still won, lol.

You're probably right in that Zito will no doubt be looking for that money. And he may even get it. I wouldn't want my team to sign him for that kind of money. Once he signs that big contract, he won't be nearly as good as he was today. Of course, Paul Byrd and Freddy Garcia looked better at the end of last season than they did early this season.

Fenway
10-03-2006, 06:36 PM
My guess is a huge bidding war for Zito will include the Mets, Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox.

Zito will get a huge contract

Domeshot17
10-03-2006, 07:10 PM
could be a smokescreen but the mets and yankees both said they wouldnt be interested in Zito.

and I know blah blah Pedro is hurt, but hurt or not they are still paying him. I would not be suprised by the Red Sox running at him, but I dont see him signing there. My sleeper team is the Braves. They need pitching bad, and you know they didnt take kindly to losing this year. The Giants could also make a serious run at Zito with Schmidt off the books.

If I am Kenny I inquire about Schmidt. If you can get him for what you are paying vazquez, then deal vaz for 2 good relievers, its win win.

bluestar
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
FWIW, Zito didn't look all that great today. The Twins' approach stunk. They didn't show any patience at the plate (not that they ever do all that much). I really thought they might come back and win after Cuddyer tripled off Street in the 9th, but the next three hitters went up there hacking away. It kind of reminded me of the 2006 White Sox, post-All-Star break.

But I agree Zito will get a huge contract from someone. I just don't think his performance today will factor in that much.

caulfield12
10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
could be a smokescreen but the mets and yankees both said they wouldnt be interested in Zito.

and I know blah blah Pedro is hurt, but hurt or not they are still paying him. I would not be suprised by the Red Sox running at him, but I dont see him signing there. My sleeper team is the Braves. They need pitching bad, and you know they didnt take kindly to losing this year. The Giants could also make a serious run at Zito with Schmidt off the books.

If I am Kenny I inquire about Schmidt. If you can get him for what you are paying vazquez, then deal vaz for 2 good relievers, its win win.

The Braves have really curtailed their big money FA acquisitions since the changeover in ownership. I don't see it. Not their style.

HotelWhiteSox
10-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I think it might be closer to 12-13 million but who cares. If you are ripping on people who wanted him signed then why would you title the thread 'goodbye to zito'

DSpivack
10-04-2006, 12:03 AM
The Braves have really curtailed their big money FA acquisitions since the changeover in ownership. I don't see it. Not their style.

I'm assuming by changeover you mean AOLTimeWarner. They were sold to Liberty Media this year, although if that means anything it probably means a decrease in payroll.