PDA

View Full Version : Girardi-HE GONE!

palehozenychicty
10-03-2006, 09:48 AM
linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2611327)

Bizarre, but expected. Fredi Gonzalez or Cora will get the position.

ND_Sox_Fan
10-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Cora will get the position.

That's fine - we'll take Joe and put Ozzie at third.

Palehose13
10-03-2006, 09:51 AM
linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2611327)

Bizarre, but unexpected. Fredi Gonzalez or Cora will get the position.

:?: Cora?

and put Ozzie at third.
:rolleyes:

MarySwiss
10-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Well, there's your new Cubs manager! :cool:

Personally, I respect the guy, and I hope he has too much sense to take the job, but I'd bet he will.

RKMeibalane
10-03-2006, 09:55 AM
The Marlins will regret having done this. Whatever Girardi's differences with management, he was able to make a WC contender out of a team with two star players, highly-touted rookies, and veteran castoffs. I've seen other managers have more and do less with it. Mark my words: the Marlins will have a worse record next season, and will begin to explore trading Willis and/or Cabrera, salary issues nonwithstanding.

oeo
10-03-2006, 09:57 AM
:?: Cora?

Yes, our very own Joey Cora was named as a possibility of Girardi's replacement a few weeks ago when it was known that Girardi would be fired.

If he does get the job, the Sox may have three openings on the coaching staff (if Baines and Raines leave as well); they seem pretty high on Fredi Gonzalez, though.

Personally, I respect the guy, and I hope he has too much sense to take the job, but I'd bet he will.

And I bet he's a "bad manager" here in Chicago. You know why? The Cubs don't have near the talent that the Marlins do...no one can do miracles. I'm in no way saying Dusty was a good manager, but that team is awful.

Palehose13
10-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Yes, our very own Joey Cora was named as a possibility of Girardi's replacement a few weeks ago when it was known that Girardi would be fired.

If he does get the job, the Sox may have three openings on the coaching staff (if Baines and Raines leave as well); they seem pretty high on Fredi Gonzalez, though.

I didn't hear this and didn't see it mentioned in the article. Joey Cora as a manager...hmmm. I don't really see it.

southside rocks
10-03-2006, 10:03 AM

And I bet he's a "bad manager" here in Chicago. You know why? The Cubs don't have near the talent that the Marlins do...no one can do miracles.

I thought that Cora and Baines signed extensions through 2007. Tim Raines was the only coach who didn't get an extension. The other coaches signed in May. Why do you think that Baines is leaving?

Personally, I doubt that the Marlins management will want Joey Cora. He's not a lot less abrasive to that type of owner than Girardi was. I'd bet against Cora getting that job.

I'll also bet against Girardi coming to the Cubs. I can't picture Jim Hendry wanting Joe Girardi in the organization. Hendry seems like a man who doesn't want reality presented to him by his subordinates.

I think Girardi will end up in DC with the Nats. JMO. I think that Piniella may wind up with the Cubs, or Brenly -- probably the latter.

southside rocks
10-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I didn't hear this and didn't see it mentioned in the article. Joey Cora as a manager...hmmm. I don't really see it.

I know. But he does want to manage someday; he's said so.

Did you know that Joey has a degree in Economics from Vanderbilt? That impressed the heck out of me when I read it!

palehozenychicty
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I'll also bet against Girardi coming to the Cubs. I can't picture Jim Hendry wanting Joe Girardi in the organization. Hendry and the Tribune corporation seem like men who doesn't want reality presented to them by their subordinates.

I think Girardi will end up in DC with the Nats. JMO. I think that Piniella may wind up with the Cubs, or Brenly -- probably the latter.

After editing this for you, it isn't a slam dunk that Girardi will go to the North side. They'll offer him a boatload of money because it is a marketing dream for the Cubs, as Girardi is a native Northsider. Yet, they need a whole catharsis besides Derek Lee and Zambrano. It won't happen, though, and they will keep adding rusty parts to keep losing.

oeo
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I thought that Cora and Baines signed extensions through 2007. Tim Raines was the only coach who didn't get an extension. The other coaches signed in May. Why do you think that Baines is leaving?

Personally, I doubt that the Marlins management will want Joey Cora. He's not a lot less abrasive to that type of owner than Girardi was. I'd bet against Cora getting that job.

I'll also bet against Girardi coming to the Cubs. I can't picture Jim Hendry wanting Joe Girardi in the organization. Hendry seems like a man who doesn't want reality presented to him by his subordinates.

I was unaware that they signed extensions. I thought Baines had said that he was done after this year and that he was actually going to be done this year, but Ozzie talked him into coming back.

Ol' No. 2
10-03-2006, 10:24 AM
The Marlins will regret having done this. Whatever Girardi's differences with management, he was able to make a WC contender out of a team with two star players, highly-touted rookies, and veteran castoffs. I've seen other managers have more and do less with it. Mark my words: the Marlins will have a worse record next season, and will begin to explore trading Willis and/or Cabrera, salary issues nonwithstanding.Marlins fans will rue this, but Loria knows exactly what he's doing. The Marlins were supposed to lose. Apparently, Girardi didn't get them memo.

tebman
10-03-2006, 10:34 AM

I can't imagine Piniella coming to the Cubs (of course, now that I've said that, he probably will :rolleyes: ). Piniella is too outspoken, too independent-thinking for that organization. He's more like Dallas Green in that regard; remember that after his rebuilding of the Cubs in the early '80s, Green quit/was fired when the Tribune suits started meddling.

If McDonough is making the hiring decision, you can bet he's going to look for a get-along guy that they can market as easily as they've marketed the ivy.

Flight #24
10-03-2006, 10:35 AM
The Marlins will regret having done this. Whatever Girardi's differences with management, he was able to make a WC contender out of a team with two star players, highly-touted rookies, and veteran castoffs. I've seen other managers have more and do less with it. Mark my words: the Marlins will have a worse record next season, and will begin to explore trading Willis and/or Cabrera, salary issues nonwithstanding.

Yes, but how much of the winning was because the Marlins FO did a great job identifying young talent? While I believe managers make a difference, the talent on the field is the primary factor.

And FWIW, I'd be very nervous about any manager of a team who treats his young starters the way Girardi treated Josh Johnson (remind you of anyone recently on the N. Side?).

Jjav829
10-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Put me in the "There's something not quite right with Girardi" camp. If I was looking to hire a manager right now, I'd stay away from Girardi and let someone else take that chance.

LuvSox
10-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Cora to keep waving 'em home (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061003&content_id=1696581&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Looks like Gonzalez gets the job.

October26
10-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Put me in the "There's something not quite right with Girardi" camp. If I was looking to hire a manager right now, I'd stay away from Girardi and let someone else take that chance.

What do you mean? I always liked Girardi as a player and saw the same desire to win as a player that Fisk had when he was here with the Sox.

They say that catchers make good managers. I respect him. He certainly got those young Marlins playing well this year when nobody expected them to.

southside rocks
10-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I was unaware that they signed extensions. I thought Baines had said that he was done after this year and that he was actually going to be done this year, but Ozzie talked him into coming back.

I did not hear that; you may be right. I do know that all the coaches except Raines got extensions early in the season. I've wondered if Alomar is going to be the bench coach in 2007, replacing Raines.

I'm not sure why Raines wasn't re-signed.

I can't imagine Piniella coming to the Cubs (of course, now that I've said that, he probably will :rolleyes: ). Piniella is too outspoken, too independent-thinking for that organization. He's more like Dallas Green in that regard; remember that after his rebuilding of the Cubs in the early '80s, Green quit/was fired when the Tribune suits started meddling.

If McDonough is making the hiring decision, you can bet he's going to look for a get-along guy that they can market as easily as they've marketed the ivy.

Sounds like Bob Brenly to me! :tongue:

This was his very first year managing. IMO it'd be a very bad career move for him to come to the Cubs; it's almost a recipe for disaster for him. The pressure will be enormous, and it's one of the largest baseball markets in the country. He's got a lot to lose by coming here, and probably very little to win -- does anyone really think that TribCo will let him have a free hand to structure and run the team he wants?

Girardi also seems to have plenty of rough edges that want smoothing. He can mature into a very good manager, but he needs some more time at the job, in a less-intense situation than Chicago. That's why I wonder if the Nats might be a good fit for him. I can't see him going to the Giants ... Yeah, Joe Girardi managing Barry Bonds. No potential for conflagrations there!

PaulDrake
10-03-2006, 11:21 AM
And FWIW, I'd be very nervous about any manager of a team who treats his young starters the way Girardi treated Josh Johnson (remind you of anyone recently on the N. Side?). I must have missed something. Johnson made 24 starts, never got past the 8th inning, never had less than 5 days between starts, and pitched a grand total of 157 innings. What did Girardi do wrong?

the gooch
10-03-2006, 11:28 AM
I must have missed something. Johnson made 24 starts, never got past the 8th inning, never had less than 5 days between starts, and pitched a grand total of 157 innings. What did Girardi do wrong?
put him back in after a long rain delay. johnson got injured.

PaulDrake
10-03-2006, 11:39 AM
put him back in after a long rain delay. johnson got injured. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

chaerulez
10-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Girardi did very well with the Marlins, no one can deny that. However, just because he was a success there doesn't mean it will translate to the Cubs. The Cubs talent wise are built differently than the Marlins. The Marlins had/have a great farm system. The Cubs' farm system is somewhat of a joke. That said, I'm not saying if Girardi is hired by the Cubs that he can't do a good job, just that it'd be foolish to assume he automatically will.

TDog
10-03-2006, 02:27 PM

Did you know that Joey has a degree in Economics from Vanderbilt? That impressed the heck out of me when I read it!

I know that Joey Cora played baseball for two seasons at Vanderbilt before the Padres selected him in the first round of the amateur draft after they lost to Detroit in the World Series, but I didn't know he earned a degree. The Padres had him taking an ESL class when he came to Yuma for spring training.

As for Joe Girardi, he has Cubs manager written all over him. He managed a young team that overachieved and come close to a .500 season, so people think he is a genius. He was a popular player for the Cubs, so he won't have to achieve as much as, say, a Lou Piniella, before he overstays his welcome.

Max Power
10-03-2006, 03:49 PM

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Also, managing a team with a bunch of rookies and no expectations in Florida is totally different than managing a team like the Cubs. I don't think his success this season proves he'll be successful anywhere else.

gobears1987
10-04-2006, 11:40 AM
http://www.movievillains.com/images/phelps.jpg = http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2002-01-18-loria.jpg

and

http://www.fmstar.com/graphic/j/j0171.jpg = http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2005-10-20-girardi.jpg

I want Mags back
10-04-2006, 11:46 AM
yeah, we get to keep cora. our team is so much better off

soxinem1
10-04-2006, 09:27 PM

I bet TEX tries, and maybe suceeds, in getting him.....

LongLiveFisk
10-04-2006, 10:07 PM

I've been predicting this one for awhile. You know it'll happen.

Frankfan4life
10-05-2006, 01:08 AM
I've been predicting this one for awhile. You know it'll happen.You can bet on it. The cubs copy almost everything the Sox do. The Sox hire Harry Caray and then the cubs hire him. The Sox hire a black manager, then the cubs hire one. The Sox hire a black broadcaster and then the cubs hire a black broadcaster. The Sox hire a relatively young and inexperienced former player as their manager and then win the World Series, that means the cubs will hire a relatively young and inexperienced former player as their manager and... well, I guess that's where the copying ends.

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2006, 01:38 AM
You can bet on it. The cubs copy almost everything the Sox do... The Sox hire a black broadcaster and then the cubs hire a black broadcaster...

Maybe so, but don't forget that the Cubs also hired Davey Nelson as part of their broadcast team long before the Sox put DJ in the booth (granted Nelson didn't last very long); who knows... maybe they'll copy one of our moves from 30 years ago and hire a female play-by-play announcer. :rolleyes:

soxinem1
10-05-2006, 12:56 PM
You can bet on it. The cubs copy almost everything the Sox do. The Sox hire Harry Caray and then the cubs hire him. The Sox hire a black manager, then the cubs hire one. The Sox hire a black broadcaster and then the cubs hire a black broadcaster. The Sox hire a relatively young and inexperienced former player as their manager and then win the World Series, that means the cubs will hire a relatively young and inexperienced former player as their manager and... well, I guess that's where the copying ends.

Not to mention they have Eyre and Howry on their staff when we had them both on our staff at the same time too.

They have several ex-cub players as coaches, Santo, Carter, and Hundley in the booth.

Yep, they might have something here! Maybe we should now copy them copying us!!!

Frankfan4life
10-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe so, but don't forget that the Cubs also hired Davey Nelson as part of their broadcast team long before the Sox put DJ in the booth (granted Nelson didn't last very long); who knows... maybe they'll copy one of our moves from 30 years ago and hire a female play-by-play announcer. :rolleyes:Darn it, I guess I have to give them that one.

mrfourni
10-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I still think that when the smoke clears, Bob Brenly will move from the broadcast booth to the dugout. I always had a feeling that Brenly was brought into the Cubs organization for this very reason.

kitekrazy
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Darn! I'll miss Paulie getting thrown out at the plate.

kitekrazy
10-06-2006, 11:32 AM

Bingo. Not too many 1st year managers get fired. The Marlins are not a difficult organization to work with.

soxfanatlanta
10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Bingo. Not too many 1st year managers get fired. The Marlins are not a difficult organization to work with.

:?: Nani?

Don't take this the wrong way: help me understand your opinion.

I'm sure Girardi played his part in getting fired, but Larry Bowa, he is not. The owner is an ass, the stadium is a graveyard, the city is pretty indifferent to them, and there are no veterans on the team. That cannot be an easy situation; the fact that they even came close to .500 should get players and coaches some praise.

wdelaney72
10-06-2006, 02:00 PM

I'm sure Girardi played his part in getting fired, but Larry Bowa, he is not. The owner is an ass, the stadium is a graveyard, the city is pretty indifferent to them, and there are no veterans on the team. That cannot be an easy situation; the fact that they even came close to .500 should get players and coaches some praise.

Loria = Rahel Phelps.
Girardi won, and that was not the plan. Loria wants an inexpensive manager who will go along with his "team concept".

"We've been losing, what I want is to finish dead last!"

kitekrazy
10-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Your opinion doesn't reflect journalists close to the Marlins organization. That doesn't negate yours but there are definitely some differences.

LongLiveFisk
10-06-2006, 04:14 PM
You can bet on it. The cubs copy almost everything the Sox do.

Except winning the World Series! :)

SSSoxFan
10-10-2006, 12:20 PM

ESPN radio was reporting this morning that Cora was going to interview with the Nationals.

slavko
10-10-2006, 04:04 PM
If you look at the house organ, they've begun the beatification process for Girardi. They would have to mollify him the way they were able to with Harry Caray when he came from the Sox, but they're good at that. Joe would have to forget that he once got into a woof with Sammy Steroid about blasting music in the clubhouse when Joe had a migraine and found himself working elsewhere the next year, but who wouldn't jump at the chance to work for the greatest fans in baseball.

So Joe Girardi will be coming to Save the Cubs, the same way Dusty came to Save the Cubs, the same way a parade of faces came to Save the Cubs, back to Frankie Frisch coming to Save the Cubs, and god only knows how much farther back. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Funny how the beatification process stopped when Piniella wasn't locked into the NY job. Either that or both Joe and the Cubs are looking elsewhere as a negotiating tool. You pick.

johnr1note
10-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1374631#post1374631)
Maybe so, but don't forget that the Cubs also hired Davey Nelson as part of their broadcast team long before the Sox put DJ in the booth (granted Nelson didn't last very long); who knows... maybe they'll copy one of our moves from 30 years ago and hire a female play-by-play announcer. :rolleyes:

Darn it, I guess I have to give them that one.

Darn it, I guess I have to give them that one.

But what about Lou Brock? He was in the Sox TV booth, if only for a short time, long before either Nelson or DJ.