PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite play?

Myrtle72
10-02-2006, 09:45 PM
whitesox.com has posted a nice archive of all the top plays by the White Sox in 2006 (and 2005/2004 for that matter) on the front page of their site. It's pretty fun to look through it and remember all the games from this past season and certain plays that were just incredible to watch.

So, what are your favorite plays of the season?

jenn2080
10-02-2006, 09:54 PM
The Gooch bare handed diving throw in the air to first in the beginning of the season. There were also a few good ones by Brian this summer that were awesome. One being against KC. Ozuna's bunt against Oakland to win the game. The Pods well times catch against Anaheim. Sweeney's diving catch in right on Saturday. Everything Ross Gload does, but mainly his Granny in Baltimore to win the game. AJ's walk off against Cleveland. Freddy's one hitter against Anaheim. Jon Garland's throw to first or lack their of against KC when the ball fell out of his hand behind him and then Ozzie making fun of him in the dug out. Jon's HR against Cincy. Those are just a few I can think of right now.

DaleJRFan
10-02-2006, 09:57 PM
JD running into the chainlink fence in RF, tearing open his leg... and the next half of the inning, running the bases in his bloody uniform pants after hitting a 450 foot BOMB.

Myrtle72
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Jon Garland's throw to first or lack their of against KC when the ball fell out of his hand behind him and then Ozzie making fun of him in the dug out.

What game was that, do you remember?

soxchick20
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
The Gooch bare handed diving throw in the air to first in the beginning of the season. There were also a few good ones by Brian this summer that were awesome. One being against KC. Ozuna's bunt against Oakland to win the game. The Pods well times catch against Anaheim. Sweeney's diving catch in right on Saturday. Everything Ross Gload does, but mainly his Granny in Baltimore to win the game. AJ's walk off against Cleveland. Freddy's one hitter against Anaheim. Jon Garland's throw to first or lack their of against KC when the ball fell out of his hand behind him and then Ozzie making fun of him in the dug out. Jon's HR against Cincy. Those are just a few I can think of right now.

all great ones......jon's kc incident was hilarious.

some of mine not listed are:

-iguchi's slam against the Astros
-a.j's homer at wrigley
-jermaine tying it up in the 9th against Min. with a 2 run shot back in july

jenn2080
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
What game was that, do you remember?

I think it was the Friday game in KC the first series we played them. It was a hit to Garland. He jogged over while throwing the ball and the ball slipped out of his hand and the runner was safe. When the inning was over Ozzie was making fun of him when he got back to the dugout.

Myrtle72
10-02-2006, 10:13 PM
To answer my own question...

Mine are:

Pods: The nicely timed catch to rob the Angles of a home run
Gooch: That crazy sideways/airborne throw to get the out at first, the last out of the tripe play against the Tigers - the picture just amuses me.
AJ: Barreling into Barrett at home and then somehow provoking a suckerpunch, homerun against the cubs, walkoff homer on halfway to St. Pattys day... pretty much everything AJ does in my opinion is awesome.
Gload: The slam against Baltimore to win the game

I think it was the Friday game in KC the first series we played them. It was a hit to Garland. He jogged over while throwing the ball and the ball slipped out of his hand and the runner was safe. When the inning was over Ozzie was making fun of him when he got back to the dugout.

Thanks!

Frontman
10-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Iguchi's "Matrix" move, followed by Garland's Homer. I was listening to the radio, I think Farmio was very close to losing his mind.

Front

aryzner
10-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Not a play but one of my favorite moments of the season is when Frank returned here as an Oakland Athletic. He received that standing ovation and I felt proud to be a White Sox fan because we showed class and showed our appreciation, unlike when Thome went to Cleveland and got boo'd by the crowd there.

October26
10-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Paulie's homer in the bottom of the 9th against Mariano Rivera. I can still close my eyes and see everybody at the park goin' nuts. That was so much fun because Mariano Rivera is a great pitcher and also because we had endured alot of crap from the visiting Yankees fans that night. :smile:

ondafarm
10-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Iguchi's bare-handed face-down throw to first play.

TornLabrum
10-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Iguchi's bare-handed face-down throw to first play.

Ditto. I was at that game with Jeff, his girlfriend, and his roommate. It is by far the greatest play I've ever seen in person.

At first when I read the title, I was going to answer "Death of a Salesman."

DaleJRFan
10-03-2006, 12:04 AM
These are all the highlights we need, fellow Sox fans.....
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=cws&ym=200510

23Ventura
10-03-2006, 12:20 AM
[quote=jenn2080;1371686 Jon Garland's throw to first or lack their of against KC when the ball fell out of his hand behind him and then Ozzie making fun of him in the dug out.[/quote]
I think that game was against Seattle.

jenn2080
10-03-2006, 08:29 AM
I think that game was against Seattle.

No it was KC. It was the first series against them on the Friday. That was when we had the lead the whole game and we ended up blowing it due to errors etc.

stl_sox_fan
10-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Crede's hackey sack catch by the tarp against Seattle.

October26
10-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Another play I remembered this morning was the AJ walk off homer. That was the half way to St. Patrick's day game, I believe. I really thought that game was going to turn the momentum around for us and for our season. Oh well.

I also loved the fan wearing the Pierzynski jersey who with the red White Sox cap. He was jumping up and down, going crazy. He was on that Thanks, Fans tv commercial that they played at the end of the season.

That was a great moment.

whitesoxwilkes
10-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Ditto. I was at that game with Jeff, his girlfriend, and his roommate. It is by far the greatest play I've ever seen in person.

At first when I read the title, I was going to answer "Death of a Salesman."

I was supposed to be at that game, but my wedding got in the way. I'd vote that as top play this season for sure.

southside rocks
10-03-2006, 10:22 AM

Yep, that. And the June 9 fabulous catch by Anderson, where he slammed into the wall, caught the ball (robbing Travis Hafner), rolled off the wall and fired off a perfect throw to hold the runner -- all in one motion. Awesome.

Also any and all of the grand slams hit this year. I love a grand slam! This chick definitely digs the long ball. :tongue:

Myrtle72
10-03-2006, 12:17 PM

Haha. Yeah, that was definately awesome.

skottyj242
10-03-2006, 12:37 PM
My favorite plays were:

Ross Gload's grand slam against Baltimore.
Ross Gload's amazing catch against Tampa Bay
Ross Gload's homer against Cleveland

batmanZoSo
10-03-2006, 12:41 PM
I have to agree with Jenn. Defensively, Iguchi's super-fun-happy-miraculous-upside-down circus throw, no doubt about it.

Offensively, Pablo's walkoff bunt to beat the A's. Pablo ending it on a squeeze encapsulates the "balance" this team was supposed to have--that they can beat you in a number of ways. That was a great series with solid pitching and some shadows of '05 in there.

palehozenychicty
10-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Offensively, Pablo's walkoff bunt to beat the A's. Pablo ending it on a squeeze encapsulates the "balance" this team was supposed to have--that they can beat you in a number of ways. That was a great series with solid pitching and some shadows of '05 in there.

That play was the highpoint of the Sox season, in my mind. They withstood the homecoming of Frank and came back to win, looking like the overwhelming favorites to do it again. But we know what happened.....:whiner:

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Here is a list of plays that I thought they were well deserved of attention:

-Ross Gloads game winning granny in the top of the 9th agaisnt baltimore
-AJ's walk off in GREEN (classic!)
-Gooch's sweet sidearm/matrix play
-Vasquez strikes out 13 against the Jays
-JD's walk off single against the yanks in the 11th
-2 triples plays (too bad the last one didnt really matter, we lost against detroit)
-Gooch's back to back homers in the eith and ninth against the 'stros. The last one a granny:bandance:
- SinTrons home rune against the tigers a while back. Came back to win 4-3
-JG's homer against cincinatti

The list goes on and on. I loved this team (except for its inability to make it to the post season:whiner: )

:gulp:

buehrle4cy05
10-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Gooch's grand slam against Houston. I was there.

It was incredible. I've never experienced the kind of energy that was in the stadium, which was about half-full when he hit that (I didn't get out to a playoff game last year).

Bob G
10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Iguchi's game winning hit in the 19th inning against Boston

Soxworldchamps
10-03-2006, 07:03 PM
I was supposed to be at that game, but my wedding got in the way. I'd vote that as top play this season for sure.

Oh, darn.

23Ventura
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
No it was KC. It was the first series against them on the Friday. That was when we had the lead the whole game and we ended up blowing it due to errors etc.
Maybe it happened twice, but I'm certain that Garland did this against Seattle on April 24.

RetireWoodys28
10-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Many of my favorite memories from 2006 are tainted with the same downside that was indicative of the entire season. Iguchi's slam tied a game the Sox ended up losing in extra innings. Ditto for Dye's 2-run 9th inning shot against the Twinkies in August. Had Jenks not blown a 2-run lead in the top of the ninth, there would have been no need for the St. Patty's Day walk-off parade.

Loved that Sin-tron 6/6/6 HR, Iguchi's horizontal put out, the 14th inning stretch, AJ punching 30,000 Cubs fans in the face (the right field trash pick-up photo became my wallpaper for most of July), the ovation MB got when he left game 3 of the last Twins series here, and the ring ceremony - which will always be one of my favorite Sox-game memories of all time (even though we lost the ensuing game).
That play was the highpoint of the Sox season, in my mind. They withstood the homecoming of Frank and came back to win, looking like the overwhelming favorites to do it again. But we know what happened.....:whiner:
That was a half-price Monday and we sat in the worst seats I had all season. Lots of great moments from that single game - Frank's reception, Pablo's walk-off bunt, Mackowiak's game-tying homer, and that amazing squirrel chase that delayed the game for a good 10 minutes. Most of us were rooting for the squirrel.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/wrigleys.jpg