PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Crappy Postseason Commercial Alert!

MarySwiss
10-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I just saw a commercial for the playoffs in which a bunch of Cleveland Indians fans (I know they were actors, but still....) were hiding under the kitchen cabinets, and the voiceover said something about so what if their team didn't make the playoffs; they should come out and enjoy the postseason.

I really, really hope they don't do a similar ad for the Sox, but of course they will, and I just wanted to prepare you guys.

DaleJRFan
10-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Yea, the Red Sox one was pretty bad.

"The point of post season baseball is to root against the Yankees"

Ugh. I guess we're supposed to come out form under the kitchen table and root against the Twins now...

soxwon
10-02-2006, 07:52 PM

Ugh. I guess we're supposed to come out form under the kitchen table and root against the Twins now...

no the TIGERS!!!!!!

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Go Cards, Go A's.

AnkleSox
10-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I just saw a commercial for the playoffs in which a bunch of Cleveland Indians fans (I know they were actors, but still....) were hiding under the kitchen cabinets, and the voiceover said something about so what if their team didn't make the playoffs; they should come out and enjoy the postseason.

I really, really hope they don't do a similar ad for the Sox, but of course they will, and I just wanted to prepare you guys.

I thought I saw some guy in a Cincinnati hat in that commercial. Maybe it was an old school Cleveland hat I didn't recognize :?:

Lip Man 1
10-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Don't let it bother you Mary. Be smart...don't watch a second of the post-season. Watch your Sox VHS tapes and DVD's instead.
:smile:

Lip

nasox
10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Don't let it bother you Mary. Be smart...don't watch a second of the post-season. Watch your Sox VHS tapes and DVD's instead.

Lip

:rolleyes:

The postseason is good baseball, Sox or not.

buehrle4cy05
10-02-2006, 09:00 PM

Exactly. I'm going to sit back and watch the greatest thing in sports for the next month. I'm really excited to see some of the matchups (Dodgers/Mets, mainly), and there are a lot of possibilities for great World Series matchups.

I won't let the fact that I'm bitter over the Sox take away from me watching good baseball.

shoelessshaun27!
10-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Thats terrible.

Chips
10-02-2006, 09:16 PM

Lip

So, do you only watch playoff baseball when the Sox are in it?

DaleJRFan
10-02-2006, 09:46 PM
So, do you only watch playoff baseball when the Sox are in it?

Yes, and he has said this a few times... WhiteSox or be damned!

Lip Man 1
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Dale:

Not exactly. Before this season I'd watch some (note: some) post season play. But not now. As I explained in another thread the wound is still bleeding from 2006 and I remember 2005.

No thank you.

Hey the other folks can do whatever they damn well please...as for me I'll stick with my Sox tapes. I don't need to watch the Yankees, Tigers, Twins or A's. Screw each and every one of them and the horses they road in on.

Bitter? You bet your ass I am.

Lip

harwar
10-03-2006, 09:26 AM
"The memories will be so thick,they'll have to brush them away from their faces.The one constant throughout the years has been baseball.America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers.It has been erased like a blackboard,erased and built again.But baseball has marked the time.This field,this game:and it's a part of our past.It reminds us of all that was once good,and it could be again." - loosely quoted from "FIELD OF DREAMS"

The only things that kept me from watching the World Series are war,labor stoppage,or being at sea.
My health keeps me from the park these days but i will go to my grave loving the greatest sport ever invented by man .. BASEBALL.

ws05champs
10-03-2006, 04:29 PM

Not to worry. The media and especially ESPN don't know the White Sox exist. Did you realize that the All Star commercial did not feature one White Sox player?

CaptainBallz
10-03-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm not too amused at this year's postseason. After the Twins are eliminated, there's really no emotional tie there. I'll be glad for Frank if the A's go, I'll give Detroit a golf clap, but I could really give a rat's tail about the rest.

Scottzilla
10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
haha im watching the padres cardinals game now, berman and herschieser?? are brutal. but its tuesday afternoon and theres nothing on my tivo at the moment. i will try to catch the a's games just to root for frank.

StillMissOzzie
10-03-2006, 05:51 PM
I just saw the TV version earlier today, with the Reds and Indians fans crawling out of hiding to watch some post-season play, but I have heard Tommy LaSorda on the radio several times already. While the radio version is not team-specific, it does use the same, "Awww, your team's not in it? It's still baseball! You're a baseball fan, aren't you?..." theme.

SMO
:angry: :mad:

Railsplitter
10-04-2006, 10:35 AM
AbtY= Anybody but the Yankees

itsnotrequired
10-04-2006, 10:43 AM
I finally saw them last night. Consider me unaffected.

I want Mags back
10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
That comercial sucked, and so do the playoffs. I cant stand watching it. We are out, thats all i care about

Go Bears, Go Hawks

russ99
10-04-2006, 04:05 PM
As if I'm ever gonna listen to anything Tommy Lasorda says anyway!! I can't stand that guy :angry:

Geez, whenever baseball's ever in any kind of trouble, they march his tired old butt out. Maybe I'll get to see him fall legs-over-head again this year.

I have a passing interest in Frank and Maggs doing well, but I ain't gonna torture myseflf by watching playoff baseball, especially if my most hated teams: Twins, Mets, Yankees, Cardinals and Dodgers are involved. Urgh! :angry:

We've got some gorgeous fall weather, It's time to give baseball and the TV a rest... until Sunday's bears game, of course. :tongue:

PKalltheway
10-05-2006, 02:09 AM

I'd have to agree with you there. If the Sox are in it, awesome! If they aren't in it, I'll still watch as many games as I can.

Myrtle72
10-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I just saw a stupid commerical with a Cubs fan in a tree, pouting, because his Cubbies suck.

While the commerical was stupid, the fact that the Cubs were in it amused me.

sox647
10-06-2006, 12:41 AM
I just saw a stupid commerical with a Cubs fan in a tree, pouting, because his Cubbies suck.

While the commerical was stupid, the fact that the Cubs were in it amused me.

this one was funny. i loved lasorda's reaction when he found out the guy was a cubbie fan.

Soxfanspcu11
10-06-2006, 02:00 AM
As if I'm ever gonna listen to anything Tommy Lasorda says anyway!! I can't stand that guy :angry:

Geez, whenever baseball's ever in any kind of trouble, they march his tired old butt out. Maybe I'll get to see him fall legs-over-head again this year.

I have a passing interest in Frank and Maggs doing well, but I ain't gonna torture myseflf by watching playoff baseball, especially if my most hated teams: Twins, Mets, Yankees, Cardinals and Dodgers are involved. Urgh! :angry:

We've got some gorgeous fall weather, It's time to give baseball and the TV a rest... until Sunday's bears game, of course. :tongue:

One of my college professor's, who is actually a friend of mine was at game 2 of the 2005 World Series and was sitting in the seat next to Tommy Lasorda.

He is really good friends with a woman who is really high up in MLB. I want to say that she is like President of MLB marketing or something, but I'm not sure, all I know is that she was on the phone with either Bud Selig or someone else really high up prior to the start of game 2. They were discussing whether or not they would actually get the game in. (Because of the rain).

Anyway, the thing that REALLY PISSES ME OFF is that my professor is not even a baseball fan!:angry: He teaches at Purdue Calumet in Hammond (where I go) and lives in the city. He is always trying to get me and fellow students to go to the opera, and plays and classical music concerts and things like that. Not that there is anything wrong with that stuff, but that gives you an idea of what he is into. He is one of those "intellectual art-buff" guys and really can't stand sports.

I remember asking him what it was like at the game and he told me how he sat next to Lasorda but had no idea who he was. His seats were practically on the field. Again, :angry: . He then said that while he had a good time at the game, he would "never do it again, unless it was a World Series game". That's a DIRECT quote! Once again, :angry:

I really like and respect the guy, but I have never wanted to just give him a back hand slap sooooooooo bad in my entire life!!!!:mad:

RadioheadRocks
10-06-2006, 02:11 AM
What bothers me most about these commercials (and I'm really surprised no one here has talked about this yet) is that it seems to me this entire campaign is a veiled jab at last year's perceived "lowest rated Major League post-season in history", and Fox and ESPN seem awfully desparate to attract viewers this year.

Of course, my thoughts are screw that, because I'm still watching this year despite the Sox not participating.

itsnotrequired
10-06-2006, 08:28 AM
One of my college professor's, who is actually a friend of mine was at game 2 of the 2005 World Series and was sitting in the seat next to Tommy Lasorda.

He is really good friends with a woman who is really high up in MLB. I want to say that she is like President of MLB marketing or something, but I'm not sure, all I know is that she was on the phone with either Bud Selig or someone else really high up prior to the start of game 2. They were discussing whether or not they would actually get the game in. (Because of the rain).

Anyway, the thing that REALLY PISSES ME OFF is that my professor is not even a baseball fan!:angry: He teaches at Purdue Calumet in Hammond (where I go) and lives in the city. He is always trying to get me and fellow students to go to the opera, and plays and classical music concerts and things like that. Not that there is anything wrong with that stuff, but that gives you an idea of what he is into. He is one of those "intellectual art-buff" guys and really can't stand sports.

I remember asking him what it was like at the game and he told me how he sat next to Lasorda but had no idea who he was. His seats were practically on the field. Again, :angry: . He then said that while he had a good time at the game, he would "never do it again, unless it was a World Series game". That's a DIRECT quote! Once again, :angry:

I really like and respect the guy, but I have never wanted to just give him a back hand slap sooooooooo bad in my entire life!!!!:mad:

So you want to slap your professor because he was invited to an event that he ended up not caring for?

Maybe he'll slap you if you get box seats to the Pavarotti concert and end up leaving early. Didn't you know that you were sitting next to the infamous Harvey Goldsmith?

Lip Man 1
10-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Keep this in mind, the 2000 Subway series was also one of the lowest rated in history. America could care less about the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets as a whole. Fox is starting to get 'concerned' if another subway series happens.

That's from a story in the print edition of The Sporting News.

Lip

Myrtle72
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Fox is starting to get 'concerned' if another subway series happens.

Good.

Soxfanspcu11
10-06-2006, 06:22 PM
So you want to slap your professor because he was invited to an event that he ended up not caring for?

Maybe he'll slap you if you get box seats to the Pavarotti concert and end up leaving early. Didn't you know that you were sitting next to the infamous Harvey Goldsmith?

:rolling:

And I don't think that I would ever "slap" him or hit him, I was just trying to express the frustration that I felt when he told the story.

Hell, if I could have been in his position that night, I probably would have peed myself all night long.

It's just the fact that he doesn't like baseball at all, doesn't know a thing about it, but got to be there for the World Series. And not only be there, but sit right next to the field and next to Lassorda. While people like me and many other diehard Sox fans had to watch at a bar. I'm not mad at him, it's just frustrating how crappy the world can be sometimes.

Johnny74
10-06-2006, 07:39 PM
First of all, those commercials are hilarious. That one where LAsorda rolls his eyes when he finds out the guy in the tree is a Cubs fan is priceless.

Secondly, to all of you pouting about the Sox not being in it: Get over it and enjoy some more baseball. It's 8 damn good teams (seven now, the TWins are done!) playing some damn good baseball. Are you baseball fans, or just Sox fans.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

MarySwiss
10-06-2006, 07:53 PM
First of all, those commercials are hilarious. That one where LAsorda rolls his eyes when he finds out the guy in the tree is a Cubs fan is priceless.

Secondly, to all of you pouting about the Sox not being in it: Get over it and enjoy some more baseball. It's 8 damn good teams (seven now, the TWins are done!) playing some damn good baseball. Are you baseball fans, or just Sox fans.

Thanks for the advice. It'll be interesting to see what kind of answers you get to your question. Here's mine: I'm a Sox fan first, D'Backs fan second. I'm watching the postseason mainly to root against certain teams, not necessarily for any of them. Twins are gone; hopefully the Yankees aren't far behind. After that happens, I don't much care who wins what; I'll just settle in for the football/basketball seasons and look forward to Spring Training.

23Ventura
10-06-2006, 08:02 PM

By my count, there are now 4 good teams left in the playoffs.
Yankees, Tigers, A's, Mets

ws05champs
10-06-2006, 08:03 PM
It's 8 damn good teams (seven now, the TWins are done!) playing some damn good baseball.

I pretty much thought there were only 7 good teams even before the Twins were done.:?:

Frontman
10-09-2006, 12:22 AM

So, what the commercial is saying is that the post-season has no point now?

I knew that back in September, when the White Sox were eliminated. :wink:

Front

Jjav829
10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Everytime I hear Tommy Lasorda's voice on another one of these awful commercials I feel like throwing myself in front of a train. Awful commercials. And I even got an email with some horrible picture of Lasorda.