PDA

View Full Version : Total White Sox Book

TheKittle
10-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned before and/or if this is in the wrong forum.

But Total White Sox has been released and on Sat. at AU Sports the author, Rich Lindberg, will be signing the book. AU Sports calls Lindberg "
the team's top historian."

AU Sports
5129 W. Dempster
Skokie
(847) 679-8310

http://www.amazon.com/Total-White-Sox-Definitive-Encyclopedia/dp/157243919X/sr=1-1/qid=1159821548/ref=sr_1_1/002-7814979-6118466?ie=UTF8&s=books

cbotnyse
10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I just saw this yesterday in Borders. I fingered throught it briefly. Looked pretty good, probably worth the $20 bucks.

eriqjaffe
10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Is this more-or-less an updated version of his "White Sox Encyclopedia"?

TornLabrum
10-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Is this more-or-less an updated version of his "White Sox Encyclopedia"?

Yup. Updated through 2005.

October26
10-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned before and/or if this is in the wrong forum.

But Total White Sox has been released and on Sat. at AU Sports the author, Rich Lindberg, will be signing the book. AU Sports calls Lindberg "
the team's top historian."

AU Sports
5129 W. Dempster
Skokie
(847) 679-8310

http://www.amazon.com/Total-White-Sox-Definitive-Encyclopedia/dp/157243919X/sr=1-1/qid=1159821548/ref=sr_1_1/002-7814979-6118466?ie=UTF8&s=books

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Brian26
10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
The price for that book is amazing considering the first edition was approx. $60.

MeteorsSox4367
10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Lindberg was the guest speaker at a function last year for the VIPs of the school at which I work. Nice guy, excellent speaker. He even signed a couple of his out-of-print books. I now have a signed copy of "Stuck on the Sox" from the '70s in my library.

Talking Sox baseball with someone as passionate about the team as I am was really cool.

lumpyspun
10-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Since he put Pods on the cover I wonder if that book is only good to read every other year?

Cat Thief
10-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Since he put Pods on the cover I wonder if that book is only good to read every other year?

:rolling:

Baby Fisk
10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Assuming there are colour inserts, are they the same as before, or something different? The insert photos in the 1997 WS Encyclopedia were great.

tacosalbarojas
10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Lindberg was the guest speaker at a function last year for the VIPs of the school at which I work. Nice guy, excellent speaker. He even signed a couple of his out-of-print books. I now have a signed copy of "Stuck on the Sox" from the '70s in my library.

Talking Sox baseball with someone as passionate about the team as I am was really cool.I met him once on a trip with a group of Sox fans lobbying for ballpark funds in Springfield back in '88, I guess it was. I was reading "Who's on Third" and I looked up and he asked "you like that book?" I was like "yeah" and he said, "I wrote it." and we went on and talked for a bit before going to talk to the legislators. Seemed real down to earth.

Lip Man 1
10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Rich is really a nice guy and I don't think anyone around knows more about Sox baseball then him. Well Bob Vanderberg is right up there with him too.

Lip

SOXintheBURGH
10-04-2006, 03:53 PM

*spits Gatorade on cat*

:rolling:

DachnoPiitu
10-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info.

roylestillman
10-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Lindberg's "Stuck on the Sox" is one of the funniest books about the Sox I've ever read. It is the best recap of Harry's days as the Sox announcer. It looks like it was published in somebody's basement and its long out of print, but if you can find it pick it up.

Wsoxmike59
10-05-2006, 06:05 PM
My copy arrived from Amazon.com today in the mail. It's a steal at $18.87 seeing how my wife bought me the first edition back in 1997 for more than the cover price, as it was a HOT commodity during the Christmas shopping season and selling out everywhere.

I ran in to Rich over the summer at a play (Ratpack Tribute) down at the Royal George Theatre and he recognized me from a few Sox Fans On Deck meetings and he told me the updated Encyclopedia would be due out in Oct or Nov.

You're correct Lip, Rich is a walking encylopedia when it comes to White Sox baseball (he's also well versed in Chicago History and crime lore from the city with Big Shoulders)

Anyhow I digress.....it's a great book. If you have a special Sox fan you want to buy for, this would be the perfect book as it covers the entire history from 1901 to the 2005 World Series Championship season.

Lip Man 1
10-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I got both Rich's book and Richard Roeper's last night. Total White Sox is astonishing in its lenght and breath. Rich did an incredible job.

I'll spend the next month reading both that's for sure.

Lip

southside rocks
10-07-2006, 10:46 AM
My copy of the Total Sox book arrived yesterday. I also ordered the first WS encyclopedia (by Lindberg), and it looks like the Total Sox book is an update of that? If it is, I'll give the encyclopedia away as a Christmas gift and keep the Total Sox update version.

I opened it and immediately spent half an hour going down memory lane in the section that lists players ... :smile: Very nice book to have, I join the recommendations.

BainesHOF
10-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Since he put Pods on the cover...

It's a sign that you can steal the book.

RadioheadRocks
10-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Got mine today at Barnes & Noble. Tried Borders (so I could use my Rewards card) but all the Borders had them on order; oh well. Looks like most everything from the original White Sox Encyclopedia is here (except for the color memorabilia photo pages), and from first glance it looks like there are tons of cool updates as well! Of course I had to go right to the World Series writeup and a word of caution, I came across a pretty glaring factual error regarding Game 4: (page 532) "Orlando Palmeiro then grounded out unassisted to Paul Konerko, who, for the second time in the post-season, stuffed the souvenir ball into his pocket." Of course we all know how the game actually ended (ok everyone, get your John Rooney talking bottle openers and pizza cutters ready): "Here's the 1-2 pitch to Palmeiro, a ground ball past Jenks up the middle of the infield, Uribe has it, he throws... OUT!!! OUT!!! A WHITE SOX WINNER AND A WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!! THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE WORLD SERIES AND THEY'RE MOBBING EACH OTHER ON THE FIELD!!!" They were right though about Casey Kotchman grounding to Paulie unassisted to end the ALCS though, so maybe they had a bit of a mixup (or perhaps like Steven Wright they had amnesia and deja vu at the same time!).

One other typo I came across is actually good for a few laughs, it's regarding the player listing for Jose Paniagua (or as we all know him, Joe Bread-and-water): they list his birth date as April 4, 1996 (!!!), which I guess would explain his absolutely childish performance in that infamous game of his. :roflmao:

Anyway despite that I'm really thrilled with the book and am going to be leafing through it a lot!

Myrtle72
10-10-2006, 08:58 AM
So, I also have a copy of the book and it's great, I would definately recomend it.

But I was confused by the fact that... AJ is not in the player profiles section. He's my favorite, one of the first things I did with the book was look him up. Of course he's mentioned in all the recaps in the 2005 World Series section and he's mentioned in various other places throughout the book, but they don't have a section on him in he player profiles part (that, or it's not where its supposed to be in the "P's"...).

Anybody have a reason, or did they just forget about him?

TornLabrum
10-10-2006, 10:12 PM
So, I also have a copy of the book and it's great, I would definately recomend it.

But I was confused by the fact that... AJ is not in the player profiles section. He's my favorite, one of the first things I did with the book was look him up. Of course he's mentioned in all the recaps in the 2005 World Series section and he's mentioned in various other places throughout the book, but they don't have a section on him in he player profiles part (that, or it's not where its supposed to be in the "P's"...).

Anybody have a reason, or did they just forget about him?

Probably just that he hadn't spent enough years with the club before publication.