PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede's official status

hillbilly
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm sure this has been talked about on here before, but what exactly is Joe Crede's status for next year. Is he arbitration eligible like I think he is or is he locked up? Also, what do you think about some of the trade rumors involving him and Chone Figgins? And what do you think is going to happen with him? I'd like to hear some thoughts...

jenn2080
10-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Keep him.!!!!

Lip Man 1
10-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Crede is arbitration eligible. I don't think he can be a free agent until 2009.

Lip

INSox56
10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Crede for nothing short of Arod or another HUGE player.

BRDSR
10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
If Crede is arbitration eligible, how much of an increase are the Sox going to be on the hook for? What is he making this year? I would expect Boras to ask for something like $8 million, the Sox to counter with $5, and for Crede to get around $6 million next year. What kind of an increase is that going to be in the payroll?

itsnotrequired
10-02-2006, 03:59 PM
If Crede is arbitration eligible, how much of an increase are the Sox going to be on the hook for? What is he making this year? I would expect Boras to ask for something like $8 million, the Sox to counter with $5, and for Crede to get around $6 million next year. What kind of an increase is that going to be in the payroll?

Crede got $2.675 million this season. Actually, it was $2.875 since he met his incentives. In any event, no way Joe gets $6 million next season. Hell, that's the same that Dye will get next season. I say Joe gets $3.5-4 million, tops.

Ol' No. 2
10-02-2006, 04:02 PM
If Crede is arbitration eligible, how much of an increase are the Sox going to be on the hook for? What is he making this year? I would expect Boras to ask for something like $8 million, the Sox to counter with $5, and for Crede to get around $6 million next year. What kind of an increase is that going to be in the payroll?That's not the way arbitration works. The arbitrator must choose either the player's offer or the club's. He can't pick something in-between. So if Boras asks for something unreasonable, he's just guaranteeing he'll lose.

It's almost certainly academic, anyway. The Sox haven't gone to arbitration with a player since Keith Foulke. They'll come to an agreement. I'd guess two years at $4M and $6M with an option for a third year at $7M and a $1M buyout.

BRDSR
10-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Crede got $2.675 million this season. Actually, it was $2.875 since he met his incentives. In any event, no way Joe gets $6 million next season. Hell, that's the same that Dye will get next season. I say Joe gets $3.5-4 million, tops.

You might be right, but if Joe doesn't get $6ish, it won't be because he didn't deserve it, it will be because he just hasn't put in the time necessary to convince an arbiter of that fact. Dye is worth more than $6 million next year, that is not arguable. Crede is not worth what Dye is worth, but that doesn't rule out that Crede is worth $6(I took the LSAT on Sat, can you tell?). If I were Joe Crede and I were primarily concerned with the money I was going to make(maybe he isn't, as has already been somewhat suggested with his comments about Boras) I would go to arbitration before accepting a $4 million deal for next year. I think an arbiter would give him more.

October26
10-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Let us not forget that Joe's agent is Scott Boras. Wonder what that will mean for the Sox/Joe Crede negotiations in the future? :(:

southside rocks
10-02-2006, 05:12 PM
You might be right, but if Joe doesn't get $6ish, it won't be because he didn't deserve it, it will be because he just hasn't put in the time necessary to convince an arbiter of that fact. Dye is worth more than $6 million next year, that is not arguable. Crede is not worth what Dye is worth, but that doesn't rule out that Crede is worth $6(I took the LSAT on Sat, can you tell?). If I were Joe Crede and I were primarily concerned with the money I was going to make(maybe he isn't, as has already been somewhat suggested with his comments about Boras) I would go to arbitration before accepting a $4 million deal for next year. I think an arbiter would give him more.

As ON2 noted, the arbitrator can only give Joe one of two figures: Joe's figure, or the club's figure.

It's one of the more unusual forms of arbitration out there, which is why all the students in Dispute Resolution programs write their final papers on it, "MLB Arbitration Procedures." :cool:

So Boras/Crede will have to be very careful what number they put out there if it does wind up in arbitration. However, I agree with ON2 that an arb is very unlikely for Joe and the Sox. Joe will probably come in, my guess, around the salary that AJ is making ($5 million).

chisoxfanatic
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Let us not forget that Joe's agent is Scott Boras. Wonder what that will mean for the Sox/Joe Crede negotiations in the future? :(:

I've heard somewhere (perhaps it was even in a thread here) that Crede could possibly look for a new agent if Boras gives the Sox troubles, which means to me that he's looking to be locked up here for a long time. I'd say keep him...You can't get defense like that from many guys, and his bat is great as well. The Hot Corner is the least of our few deficiencies.

Ol' No. 2
10-02-2006, 05:28 PM
As ON2 noted, the arbitrator can only give Joe one of two figures: Joe's figure, or the club's figure.

It's one of the more unusual forms of arbitration out there, which is why all the students in Dispute Resolution programs write their final papers on it, "MLB Arbitration Procedures." :cool:

So Boras/Crede will have to be very careful what number they put out there if it does wind up in arbitration. However, I agree with ON2 that an arb is very unlikely for Joe and the Sox. Joe will probably come in, my guess, around the salary that AJ is making ($5 million).When you first look at this arbitration process it looks kind of goofy. Why limit the arbitrator to choosing one or the other? But when you look at how it actually works, it's really quite effective. Requiring the arbitrator to choose one or the other discourages both sides from unreasonable offers. Otherwise, there's nothing to stop teams from low-balling and players asking for the moon. When you look at the arbitration history, the separation between the players' figures and the teams' offers is usually quite small. Then when you factor in the bad blood that inevitably results from the arbitration process, both sides usually find it in their interest to compromise at a reasonable figure. The number of arb cases, once several dozen a year, has fallen off to typically 6-10 a year.

EndemicSox
10-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Crede's August/September slump probably saved the Sox $2 million if they go to arb...however, Crede receiving less than 7 million per/yr is probably a pipe dream.

34 Inch Stick
10-02-2006, 06:12 PM
The Sox should be looking to sign him to a three year deal. Arbitration should be the backup plan. If they cannot sign him for a three year deal they should be looking to move him before August of 07. It's a painfull reality.

PAPChiSox729
10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm sure this has been talked about on here before, but what exactly is Joe Crede's status for next year. Is he arbitration eligible like I think he is or is he locked up? Also, what do you think about some of the trade rumors involving him and Chone Figgins? And what do you think is going to happen with him? I'd like to hear some thoughts...

I am so unimpressed with Chone Figgins that I won't even attempt to describe why. NO to Chone.

esbrechtel
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
they have been discussing the chone figgins trade senario in whats the score.....

Rockman218
10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
If they keep Uribe and Podsednik but trade Crede, i'm going to freak out.

In a bad way.

Daver
10-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Joe Crede's status?

Third baseman.

esbrechtel
10-02-2006, 09:12 PM
If they keep Uribe and Podsednik but trade Crede, i'm going to freak out.

In a bad way.

me too

shoelessshaun27!
10-02-2006, 10:00 PM
KEEP HIM HE IS THE FUTURE OF THIS CLUB. He is our best player. He can hit and field!

ondafarm
10-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Crede is arbitration eligible which means he has no ability to play for anyone but the Sox unless the Sox do not offer him arbitration. I figure the Sox will attempt to sign him to a long-term deal. With Fields as an up and coming player, the Sox always have an alternative, although Fields is not ready yet.

southside rocks
10-03-2006, 01:26 PM
A not very pleasant look at Crede's situation and how his agent may now be involved in the "surgery or not" question, at South Side Sox blog -- link here:
http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/10/2/175617/090#commenttop

I realize it's easy for me to say, since it's not my back, but I do hope that Joe has the surgery ... This is the same surgery that Sandy Alomar had in 1993, I believe I read, and Sandy's played ever since, so ...

I would hate to see Crede leave the Sox. I would really hate it if he left because the Sox weren't able to make a deal with him. :(:

Ika
10-03-2006, 01:37 PM
This may be a tad off topic, but aren't the Sox going to have to move Fields rather soon if Crede stays. I would imagine his trade value would just about peak (he'll be 25 next year).

itsnotrequired
10-03-2006, 02:11 PM
I've heard somewhere (perhaps it was even in a thread here) that Crede could possibly look for a new agent if Boras gives the Sox troubles, which means to me that he's looking to be locked up here for a long time. I'd say keep him...You can't get defense like that from many guys, and his bat is great as well. The Hot Corner is the least of our few deficiencies.

Crede mentioned it somepoint during the season. He said something to the effect of if he feels his current representation isn't representing him as best he could be, he will look for new representation.

Flight #24
10-03-2006, 02:21 PM
This may be a tad off topic, but aren't the Sox going to have to move Fields rather soon if Crede stays. I would imagine his trade value would just about peak (he'll be 25 next year).

Yes, they're going to move him.....to LF starting in winter ball.

southside rocks
10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Crede mentioned it somepoint during the season. He said something to the effect of if he feels his current representation isn't representing him as best he could be, he will look for new representation.

But it's Boras who sends Crede to a doctor who tells him he doesn't need surgery.

Meanwhile the Sox are saying that without surgery, they can't do a multi-year deal with Crede.

Boras is doing something there, and I don't know that it's in Joe's best interests.

southside rocks
10-03-2006, 02:34 PM

I doubt that a player's trade value peaks at 25. If Fields were to win a Gold Glove at 28, and a batting title at 29, for instance, he'd be worth a tad more than he is at 24 with only minor-league playing time behind him. :tongue:

The '07 season could answer a few questions for both Crede and Fields. If Joe declines to have back surgery and the Sox decline to give him a multi-year deal, then they would probably trade him during or after the '07 season, and put Fields in at 3B.

If Crede has the surgery and comes back well from it, then Fields is either converted to an outfielder or dealt next year.

Tekijawa
10-03-2006, 02:51 PM
A not very pleasant look at Crede's situation and how his agent may now be involved in the "surgery or not" question, at South Side Sox blog -- link here:
http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/10/2/175617/090#commenttop

I think that somehow Crede is faking all this as a desperate attempt to get Rowand back...

southside rocks
10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I think that somehow Crede is faking all this as a desperate attempt to get Rowand back...

I think that AJ put him up to it. We all know AJ's a clubhouse cancer!

goon
10-03-2006, 03:21 PM
if joe wants to stay with the sox he will have the surgery and take a reasonable offer, it's that simple. i know a lot of people want crede to stay, others think that having josh fields in the wings, it would be okay if joe is on a different team next year.

joe has developed into the best defensive third baseman in the AL and has now become a force at the plate, just like he was in the minors. i hope the sox are not willing to throw away a good thing like this because they have a potential replacement in AAA. don't get me wrong, i like josh fields as well, but i'd rather go with a sure thing in joe.

Oblong
10-03-2006, 03:46 PM
I think the Sox would be wise to lock him up with a 4 year deal and eat into a couple of free agency years. He'd be 31 or 32 by then. I think the potential payoff is worth a lot more than a million here or there right now. He's not going to get any worse and will most likely get better. Another great year or two and he gets into $10 million range.

Dan the Man
10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I swear I will cry if JOE! CREDE! is traded. He is just entering his prime, why would we want to trade him? If you hate dealing with Scott Bora$ and arbitration, let's lock up Joe right now. Who else are we going to pray for to come up in a cluth situation? (Besides AJ)