PDA

View Full Version : Jason Schmidt anyone?

Thome25
10-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I made this suggestion in one of the other threads and I wanted to know what your opinion was:

What about trading Freddy Garcia AND Javier Vazquez. We would then move McCarthy into the rotation and sign Jason Schmidt?

With the way their payroll is, the White Sox will need to get creative this off-season.

After they pick up the options of Iguchi, Dye, and Buehrle they will owe $100 million to just 12 players in 2007. That's what they paid their entire roster this season.

That doesn't include the raises Crede, MacDougal, and Cotts will make in arbitration.

We could dump Vazquez on the Mets because Minaya is familiar with him from his Montreal days. We would then be free of his salary for 2007.

We could then trade Garcia in a multi-player deal that included someone like Michael Young. (this is just an example. we could trade Garcia for a quality player or two that could fill some of our needs.)

caulfield12
10-02-2006, 11:28 AM
I made this suggestion in one of the other threads and I wanted to know what your opinion was:

What about trading Freddy Garcia AND Javier Vazquez. We would then move McCarthy into the rotation and sign Jason Schmidt?

With the way their payroll is, the White Sox will need to get creative this off-season.

After they pick up the options of Iguchi, Dye, and Buehrle they will owe $100 million to just 12 players in 2007. That's what they paid their entire roster this season.

That doesn't include the raises Crede, MacDougal, and Cotts will make in arbitration.

We could dump Vazquez on the Mets because Minaya is familiar with him from his Montreal days. We would then be free of his salary for 2007.

We could then trade Garcia in a multi-player deal that included someone like Michael Young. (this is just an example. we could trade Garcia for a quality player or two that could fill some of our needs.)

Schmidt will be signed for somewhere in the $11-13 million range. I also don't see the White Sox giving a multi-year deal to a pitcher from another organization (Contreras was a big enough risk to go this route with).

At his age, recent injury history AND coming out of the NL to the AL, I don't think it's a risk we can take.

Not only that, but trading two starting pitchers, relying on McCarthy/Buehrle/Contreras to come back to form AND having not insurance for the starters besides Haeger and Broadway worries me a lot.

KW has said numerous times he wants to get younger...not older.

DeadMoney
10-02-2006, 11:33 AM

I don't know if this fits into Kenny's plan of not making many changes or if that's just a smokescreen, but I'm personally not a huge fan of Schmidt. I think he's overrated and if you see what happened to Beckett in the AL (and he was a real good NL pitcher - not saying Schmidt isn't though), I'll leave that move for the Yankees or BoSox to make.

I also think trading Freddy would be a HUGE mistake. It seems like Mr. Garcia developed an understanding of pitching (and possibly a work ethic like Contreras) in the 2nd half this year and if that carries over, we may be looking at a Cy Young candidate in '07. I would love nothing more then having Michael Young, but I see no way that Texas will get rid of him.

Thome25
10-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Schmidt will be signed for somewhere in the $11-13 million range. I also don't see the White Sox giving a multi-year deal to a pitcher from another organization (Contreras was a big enough risk to go this route with).

At his age, recent injury history AND coming out of the NL to the AL, I don't think it's a risk we can take.

Not only that, but trading two starting pitchers, relying on McCarthy/Buehrle/Contreras to come back to form AND having not insurance for the starters besides Haeger and Broadway worries me a lot.

KW has said numerous times he wants to get younger...not older.

Contreras and El Duque were both similar risks and they paid off in 2005.

I just saw Schmidt as a better alternative to Vazquez. He also seemed cheaper than Zito. His numbers were pretty decent on a bad SF team.

You do make some valid points though.

likeawarlord
10-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Contreras and El Duque were both similar risks and they paid off in 2005.

I just saw Schmidt as a better alternative to Vazquez. He also seemed cheaper than Zito. His numbers were pretty decent on a bad SF team.

contreras' problems were mostly mental, weren't they? that's not the case with schmidt. and don't forget, aside from one bases loaded situation in the ALDS, hernandez didn't exactly set the world on fire (5.12 era in 128.3 innings). as decent as schmidt's numbers were in the NL, take a look at the recent history of pitchers making nl-al transitions. it might make you reconsider.

ondafarm
10-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I saw Schmidt pitch several games this year in person and I wouldn't reccomend him.

Gregory Pratt
10-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Contreras problems were mental and mechanical, but let's be clear: when comparing Jose, even at this age, to Schmidt, we're comparing a man who could be a Cy Young winner even at this age to a guy who is good in the NL and that's about it.

(Jose Contreras is a sad story. It's a shame he lived all his life under Cuba's Tyranny, because that man's arm when he was young was DOMINANT, and I really think he'd be one of our great players if he'd been playing here for long. As it stands, even though he's older and not as good as before, he's quite good, anyway.)

harwar
10-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Yea,l have feeling that Schmidt would get lit up in the AL being a fly-ball pitcher and all.