PDA

View Full Version : The Twins

PorkChopExpress
10-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Just a little perspective for those who like to look at teams "on paper." The 2006 Twins will have the Cy Young winner, they have the batting champion, they have two legitimate MVP candidates, possibly the DHL Delivery Man of the Year, a candidate for Rookie of the year, and possibly the manager of the year. It lessens the sting just a little for me to know that we lost to a very good team, and not just a bunch of scrappers. And I haven't fogotten the Tigers finished ahead of us either. I just feel that it was the Twins who beat us again this year.

All right, now you may commence calling me a troll.

NoShoesJoe
10-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Good points. The Tigers did not beat us this year, it was as much ourselves as it was the Twins. I felt we were doomed when we were swept in that home series in late July :(:

Lip Man 1
10-02-2006, 11:56 AM
However you can't also ignore the fact that the Twins started out like garbage and were at one point, 11 or 12 games behind the Sox.

Yes you give the Twins credit but you also 'blame' the Sox for pissing away that big of a lead.

Lip

bluestar
10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
I felt we were doomed when we were swept in that home series in late July :(:

I don't know that I thought we were "doomed" at that point, but I certainly agree that it was a very strong signal that things were not likely to turn out as we had hoped. I told my wife after we lost the third game of that series and we had to watch the Twins celebrate like they had just won the division that I had serious doubts about the Sox being able to make the post season. She was really shocked when I said that, because she thought that I thought the Sox were a lock for the post season.

caulfield12
10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't know that I thought we were "doomed" at that point, but I certainly agree that it was a very strong signal that things were not likely to turn out as we had hoped. I told my wife after we lost the third game of that series and we had to watch the Twins celebrate like they had just won the division that I had serious doubts about the Sox being able to make the post season. She was really shocked when I said that, because she thought that I thought the Sox were a lock for the post season.

The Thornton/McCarthy blown game at home against TB (when we should have swept them after playing like crap and getting really lucky one of those games to get the win at all) was the beginning of the end. At that point, the lead was still 1 1/2 games (well, it would have been had we won).

But that sweep, where they cut it from 3 GB to a tie...that really hurt.

DickAllen72
10-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Just a little perspective for those who like to look at teams "on paper." The 2006 Twins will have the Cy Young winner, they have the batting champion, they have two legitimate MVP candidates, possibly the DHL Delivery Man of the Year, a candidate for Rookie of the year, and possibly the manager of the year.

Yeah but the Sox had the best team in baseball. :cool:

bluestar
10-02-2006, 06:07 PM
The Thornton/McCarthy blown game at home against TB (when we should have swept them after playing like crap and getting really lucky one of those games to get the win at all) was the beginning of the end. At that point, the lead was still 1 1/2 games (well, it would have been had we won).

But that sweep, where they cut it from 3 GB to a tie...that really hurt.

In retrospect (you know, hindsight and all...) I think the "beginning of the end" was the last game against the Cubs at Wrigley. That game was the first time I can remember during the season having that sick feeling I would come to know so well. It also signaled (again, in retrospect) that the "magic," or whatever you want to call it, from '05 had left us.

Soxfanspcu11
10-02-2006, 07:47 PM
They are a good team, but a bunch of douchebags.

I can't wait for this next year:

"Yeah, 4 division championships in 5 years! How you like that White Sox fans??"

To which I will reply, "Damn straight!!! 4 division titles in 5 years! You guys must be dominant! We only have 1 division title in 5 years and all we have to show for it is this lousy trophy."

caulfield12
10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
They are a good team, but a bunch of douchebags.

I can't wait for this next year:

"Yeah, 4 division championships in 5 years! How you like that White Sox fans??"

To which I will reply, "Damn straight!!! 4 division titles in 5 years! You guys must be dominant! We only have 1 division title in 5 years and all we have to show for it is this lousy trophy."

Which leads to, but we have one more than you in the last two decades.

FarWestChicago
10-02-2006, 09:22 PM
However you can't also ignore the fact that the Twins started out like garbage and were at one point, 11 or 12 games behind the Sox.

Yes you give the Twins credit but you also 'blame' the Sox for pissing away that big of a lead.

LipNo Lip, only a chronic depressive pile of negativity needs to look at it that way. I have never in my life seen anybody so fixated on blame and unwilling to give credit. If a Sox pitcher got drilled in the face by a Ryan Howard crushed line drive you would accuse said pitcher of having slow reactions and being another example of how cheap the Sox are. :rolleyes:

Daver
10-02-2006, 09:33 PM
No Lip, only a chronic depressive pile of negativity needs to look at it that way. I have never in my life seen anybody so fixated on blame and unwilling to give credit. If a Sox pitcher got drilled in the face by a Ryan Howard crushed line drive you would accuse said pitcher of having slow reactions and being another example of how cheap the Sox are. :rolleyes:

LMAO!

skutir
10-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Other than being better than the WhiteSox, what evidence do you have that the Twins are "a bunch of douchebags." Perhaps you just have them confused with the Vikings.

voodoochile
10-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Other than being better than the WhiteSox, what evidence do you have that the Twins are "a bunch of douchebags." Perhaps you just have them confused with the Vikings.

Well they used to have AJ... :rolleyes: and of course they still have TorIIIIII...

DaleJRFan
10-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Just a little perspective for those who like to look at teams "on paper." The 2006 Twins will have the Cy Young winner, they have the batting champion, they have two legitimate MVP candidates, possibly the DHL Delivery Man of the Year, a candidate for Rookie of the year, and possibly the manager of the year. It lessens the sting just a little for me to know that we lost to a very good team, and not just a bunch of scrappers. And I haven't fogotten the Tigers finished ahead of us either. I just feel that it was the Twins who beat us again this year.

Don't forget the "breakout player of the year" if they even give that award out, for Michael Cuddyer. The Twins are good, really good. No one is going to call you a troll for pointing that out.

Its amazing to me that as soon as the Twins got rid of Sierra and Bautista, and filled their spots with rookies/piranhas, they took off. I am surprised they kept Rondell White around as long as they have. I thought he would be next to go.

October26
10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
And don't forget about the Jason's - every time they had a vacancy they found another piranha and he came through in the clutch. Amazing.

soxfanatlanta
10-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Nope, not gonna call you that. I have never been a Twin hater, they are more of an arch villain in my eyes. Despite their ******* of an owner, and an abomination of a dome, they put together competitive teams year in and year out, and that is something I have to praise. Just a little praise though. :wink:

itsnotrequired
10-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Nope, not gonna call you that. I have never been a Twin hater, they are more of an arch villain in my eyes. Despite their ******* of an owner, and an abomination of a dome, they put together competitive teams year in and year out, and that is something I have to praise. Just a little praise though. :wink:

Same here. There is something to be said for an organization that wins the division 4 out of 5 seasons with a tiny payroll. I mean, this isn't the NL West. Winning this division takes a good team.

I won't be rooting for the Twins per se but won't be booing them either.

bluestar
10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm not a Twins hater either. I admire the efficiency of their organization. I believe they have the best all-around organization in baseball.

However, I do find their persistent inferiority complex, particularly regarding the White Sox, annoying. Maybe they keep that chip on their shoulder because they need it for motivation; I don't know.

With that said, I can't believe Gardenhire is not getting more consideration for Manager of the Year. The general consensus seems to be that Jim Leyland will get it, but as far as I am concerned, Gardenhire has done more with less. I give full credit to Leyland for turning the Tigers around and pointing them in the right direction, mind you, but I think the job Gardenhire has done has been even more phenomenal.