PDA

View Full Version : Walker On 'Home Run Or Nothing'

Lip Man 1
10-01-2006, 09:07 PM
From Whitesox.com Greg has some interesting observations on this.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061001&content_id=1693348&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

TheOldRoman
10-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, hopefully KW has an "interesting observation" for Walker, himself.

:KW
"Pick up your last paycheck on Thursday. What's that? Not an observation? OK, I have noticed that a lot of other hitting coaches are better than you. Pick up you last paycheck on Thursday."

SluggersAway
10-01-2006, 10:07 PM
His quotes seem a lot more like rationalizations for the papers rather than real analysis for internal consumption. I wouldn't put much thought into it.

caulfield12
10-01-2006, 10:58 PM
We changed hitting coaches every year under Manuel it seemed.

The buck starts and stops with Ozzie. If he can get them to play as a team again and forget about the individual, then it won't matter who the hitting coach is...how many times has Minnesota changed batting coaches? It's convenient to make Walker a scapegoat, but we put up record-setting numbers and the offense carried this team for 75% of the season.

I don't see anyone calling for Cooper to be fired because the pitching had a massive letdown.

I don't think either should be fired, by the way.

California Sox
10-01-2006, 11:05 PM
How can the Sox have had a worse offensive year when they scored a lot more runs? Last quarter of the season they slumped a bit but this year was on the pitching. Rather than worrying about bunting more and advancing runners, we should worry about allowing a lot fewer baserunners.

Sox-o-matic
10-01-2006, 11:25 PM
How can the Sox have had a worse offensive year when they scored a lot more runs? Last quarter of the season they slumped a bit but this year was on the pitching. Rather than worrying about bunting more and advancing runners, we should worry about allowing a lot fewer baserunners.

Exactly. This has been Walker's best year so far.

Greg doesn't control what Neal Cotts, Cliff Politte, Brandon McCarthy, Mark Buehrle, and the rest of the Sox pitching staff do.

Besides, from everything I've seen and heard from the media this season, Ozzie and crew have tried endlessly to get their players to play the game the right way. It hasn't worked though, and so I guess this has just been one of those years where anyone wearing a uniform, sitting in the front office, or maybe even selling hotdogs is going to be blamed in one way or another.

Sox-o-matic
10-01-2006, 11:42 PM
From the article:

"Still, this home run thing really bugs me," Walker added. "If you have been around baseball, ask anyone if they would like to have some of our power in their lineup. It's a must in this league."

No ****.

Every team in baseball relies on the home run. The Sox will always rely on the home run, especially in this ballpark.

The problem is not that the team hit too many home runs, it is that the team failed to:

1. Advance runners
2. Score runners on 3B with less than two outs
3. Score runners on 2B with no outs
4. Run with any conviction whatsoever
5. Make contact in key situations (Thome especially)

All of these are fundamental issues except for making contact in key situations, which is exactly what happens when high strikeout guys find themselves in those situations. None of this is Walker's fault.

Even all these problems do not tell the whole story. The pitching, especially the middle and front end of our bullpen, has walked the line between disappointing and horrendous pretty much all season long. The defense, especially in LF and occaisionally at SS or CF when Mack was playing, didn't meet expectations.

All in all, this season sucked bad and the Sox still won 90 games. Had our starters had slightly better years and had our bullpen been able to hold a late lead, we would have won 105.

StillMissOzzie
10-02-2006, 01:28 AM
From the article:

No ****.

Every team in baseball relies on the home run. The Sox will always rely on the home run, especially in this ballpark.

The problem is not that the team hit too many home runs, it is that the team failed to:

1. Advance runners
6. Too many SOLO home runs

Fixed your list for you.

SMO
:gulp:

JB98
10-02-2006, 02:38 AM
I have no idea why so many WSIers think solo home runs are a bad thing. IMO, the biggest offensive problems this year were strikeouts from non-power threats and the inability to drive in runners from third base with less than two outs.

caulfield12
10-02-2006, 09:53 AM
From the article:

No ****.

1. Advance runners

All of these are fundamental issues except for making contact in key situations, which is exactly what happens when high strikeout guys find themselves in those situations. None of this is Walker's fault.

Even all these problems do not tell the whole story. The pitching, especially the middle and front end of our bullpen, has walked the line between disappointing and horrendous pretty much all season long. The defense, especially in LF and occaisionally at SS or CF when Mack was playing, didn't meet expectations.

All in all, this season sucked bad and the Sox still won 90 games. Had our starters had slightly better years and had our bullpen been able to hold a late lead, we would have won 105.

The White Sox also hit .308 with RISP to lead the AL. If you want to criticize Walker, you also need to give him credit for that...(not directed at anyone in particular, just the idea that we need to fire him or demote him)

the gooch
10-02-2006, 10:42 AM
then I guess the list should include:

Didn't score from second on a single.

Ol' No. 2
10-02-2006, 10:47 AM
The White Sox also hit .308 with RISP to lead the AL. If you want to criticize Walker, you also need to give him credit for that...(not directed at anyone in particular, just the idea that we need to fire him or demote him)But as with a lot of things this year, it's a tale of two seasons. Pre-A/S break they scored 46.9% of RISP, which was the highest in all of MLB. Post-A/S break that dropped to 41.7%, which is just below the median.