PDA

View Full Version : I Have Now Seen Everything...

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 06:30 PM
The umpiring crew in the D'Backs/Padres game just decided the winner of the NL West on an absolutely horrible call.

Situation: Dodgers had won their game and needed a Padre loss to win the division. D'Backs were down by one run, two out. Grounder to right, runner safe at first, throw to second, runner was initially called safe (by the umpire who was standing right over the play), then the call was reversed, and the runner was called out on a force. Thing is, replay showed that the Padre making the play was straddling the bag and not actually touching it, so no force, right?

Melvin argued vehemently, but to no avail. I can just imagine the Dodgers clubhouse right now!

ondafarm
10-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Another lousy set of umpires. These were: Poncino- Darling- Hickox- Dreckman

jfinsocal
10-01-2006, 06:56 PM
IF he wasn't touching the base he was a lot closer to touching the bag then many force outs that I have seen.

They made the correct call. Just my opinion and unlike the reversal in the Illinois game yesterday that was brutal.

samram
10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
IF he wasn't touching the base he was a lot closer to touching the bag then many force outs that I have seen.

They made the correct call. Just my opinion and unlike the reversal in the Illinois game yesterday that was brutal.

They made the correct call because he actually was touching the bag or because he was closer than others you've seen called? If it's the latter, that's bull**** and it's even worse that it decided a division title.:angry:

jfinsocal
10-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I thought he was touching the base and got the force and IF (capital letters) he wasn't touching the base it was very close.

What wasn't conveyed in the original message is that this was a 4-3-6 force out and the ump spaced out the fact that this was a force out thus the initial "safe" call. The runner really blew it here; no way you should get thrown out on this play it was a complete and total lack of hustle on his part.

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 07:08 PM
They made the correct call because he actually was touching the bag or because he was closer than others you've seen called? If it's the latter, that's bull**** and it's even worse that it decided a division title.:angry:

The point is, the umpire who actually was standing there right behind the play called the runner safe, and he was overruled. Subsequent replay showed that the Padre player was not touching the bag. And it did decide the division title. It was a travesty.

samram
10-01-2006, 07:12 PM
The point is, the umpire who actually was standing there right behind the play called the runner safe, and he was overruled. Subsequent replay showed that the Padre player was not touching the bag. And it did decide the division title. It was a travesty.

That is strange. Was the umpire out of position and the others felt they had a better viewpoint?

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
That is strange. Was the umpire out of position and the others felt they had a better viewpoint?
I don't know. The whole thing was strange. All of a sudden, the game was over, and Melvin (D'Backs mgr.) was out there arguing. And as far as the "close to the bag" thing goes, I don't think that should ever count, but especially not when it decides a divisional title.

Kub_Killer_15
10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Wow I can't belive that. What a bad way to end a season:angry:

samram
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow I can't belive that. What a bad way to end a season:angry:

Well, the good thing is both SD and LA are going to the playoffs, but now LA has to fly across the country while SD faces St. Louis at home.

shoelessshaun27!
10-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Wow, umpires these days.

Soxfanspcu11
10-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I don't know. The whole thing was strange. All of a sudden, the game was over, and Melvin (D'Backs mgr.) was out there arguing. And as far as the "close to the bag" thing goes, I don't think that should ever count, but especially not when it decides a divisional title.

Well, as ****ty as that may seem, that has pretty much been the unwritten rule in baseball for as long as I can remember.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of times that I have seen either the shortstop or second baseman off the bag in these type of situations.

A lot of announcers, sportswriters, fans, etc. even have different terms for it. I remember it happening a few months ago during a Sox game, where someone on the Sox grounded into a 4-6-3, and the replay clearly showed the shortstop of the other team (don't remember who) WAY off the base.

Hawk and DJ talked about it for a little while. Hawk said that it was a really old school thing and that umpires will always call the out because it is a way for the fielder to not get hurt. Hell, I have seen fielders 2-3 feet away from the base and they basically just kick dirt close to the bag and they get the out.

Not saying that it is right or anything, but it's been a part of the game for as long as I can recall.

MarySwiss
10-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, as ****ty as that may seem, that has pretty much been the unwritten rule in baseball for as long as I can remember.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of times that I have seen either the shortstop or second baseman off the bag in these type of situations.

A lot of announcers, sportswriters, fans, etc. even have different terms for it. I remember it happening a few months ago during a Sox game, where someone on the Sox grounded into a 4-6-3, and the replay clearly showed the shortstop of the other team (don't remember who) WAY off the base.

Hawk and DJ talked about it for a little while. Hawk said that it was a really old school thing and that umpires will always call the out because it is a way for the fielder to not get hurt. Hell, I have seen fielders 2-3 feet away from the base and they basically just kick dirt close to the bag and they get the out.

Not saying that it is right or anything, but it's been a part of the game for as long as I can recall.

Yes, I understand, but one more time, the umpire called the runner safe, not out. He was overruled for some reason. Also, the call both ended the game and decided the division title. That's my main problem with it. And I'm sorry, but unless someone can recall a parallel instance, that is not part of the game.

AZChiSoxFan
10-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Sorry, but the other 161 games played this year had just a little bit to do with who won the division. One call does not decide a divison. Furthermore, on half of the force outs recorded at 2nd base in MLB this year, the defensive player was no where near the bag.

AZChiSoxFan
10-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Yes, I understand, but one more time, the umpire called the runner safe, not out. He was overruled for some reason. Also, the call both ended the game and decided the division title. That's my main problem with it. And I'm sorry, but unless someone can recall a parallel instance, that is not part of the game.

The umpire initially called him safe because he was thinking it was a tag play. Either Bochy or the other umpires (I forget which) reminded him that it was a force play and that's when they changed the call.

The Bone
10-03-2006, 03:14 PM

I didn't see the game, but IIRC on SportsCenter you were lead to believe that the umpire did not originally call the runner safe because the second baseman was off the bag. He called the runner safe because he made a mistake and though that there was no force out. The ball came from first and it looked like he had a mental lapse and though the first baseman stepped on the base, meaning you would have to tag the runner. No tag was applied so he called the runner safe, the umpires met and changed the call. He must have forgetten the amount of outs in the inning as well and not looked at the first base umpire (who would have made an out sign if the first baseman would have stepped on the bag). So he did have a couple of mental lapses.