PDA

View Full Version : D'Backs Fans Pay Homage to Their Heroes

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Game is still in progress, but the top of the ninth inning was very moving, as D'Backs fans gave standing ovations to, in turn, Craig Counsell, Miguel Batista, and Luis Gonzalez. The game was either sold out or damn near it, and considering the team is 11.5 games out, I think we can assume that paying tribute was the main reason.

Also, the Arizona Republic ran articles about Gonzo all week, culminating in a nice two-page spread in today's paper that talked about his good work in the community and how he touched people personally. As I said in a thread a few weeks ago, Gonzo was the face of the D'Backs, and the tribute today was heartwarming.

gbergman
10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
2006 Western Divison Champion Padres!!!

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 06:31 PM
2006 Western Divison Champion Padres!!!I was actually rooting for the Pads over the Dodgers, but c'mon! See my "I Have Now Seen Everything" thread.

Brian26
10-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Game is still in progress, but the top of the ninth inning was very moving, as D'Backs fans gave standing ovations to, in turn, Craig Counsell, Miguel Batista, and Luis Gonzalez.

How did this occur? Did the PA announcer make a special announcement as these guys took the field in the top of the 9th? Or did they stop play? Just curious.

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 08:58 PM
How did this occur? Did the PA announcer make a special announcement as these guys took the field in the top of the 9th? Or did they stop play? Just curious.
Well, the D'Backs brought Miguel in to pitch in the top of nine. Then they subbed in for Counsell (standing O), played an at-bat, subbed in for Batista (standing O), played an at-bat, then subbed in for Gonzo, and the place went nuts. Not only that; they invited the sold-out crowd to stick around after the game, and they had some kind of big fan appreciation thing where players and coaches were announced, and as they trotted out, they took off their jerseys and gave them to select fans, who must have won some kind of contest, I'm guessing. Jerry Colangelo, Rich Dozer, and Joe Garagiola, Jr. were also there, and they paid video tributes to Gonzo and Counsell. Despite the fact that I, like many D'Back fans, have not been at all happy with the new management, it was very nicely done.

Trav
10-01-2006, 09:04 PM
That is great, very classy.

gbergman
10-01-2006, 09:27 PM
It was nice what they did. At first I wanted Gonzo to homer. Glad he didn't in the end.

AZChiSoxFan
10-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Game is still in progress, but the top of the ninth inning was very moving, as D'Backs fans gave standing ovations to, in turn, Craig Counsell, Miguel Batista, and Luis Gonzalez. The game was either sold out or damn near it, and considering the team is 11.5 games out, I think we can assume that paying tribute was the main reason.

Also, the Arizona Republic ran articles about Gonzo all week, culminating in a nice two-page spread in today's paper that talked about his good work in the community and how he touched people personally. As I said in a thread a few weeks ago, Gonzo was the face of the D'Backs, and the tribute today was heartwarming.

It was a nice ceremony. It was odd to see the place all filled up with fans.

I was rooting for the Pads though as I wanted them to take the division.

Craig Counsell has long been one of my favorite players, so it was nice to see him honored.

Kub_Killer_15
10-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Very touching and classy. I found it neat how they had the #20 painted in right field for Gonzo.

buehrle4cy05
10-01-2006, 10:30 PM
When I think of the Diamondbacks, I'll always think of Luis Gonzalez. His time was up in Arizona, but I think he'll still be able to find a place as a 4th outfielder for somebody.

AZChiSoxFan
10-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Very touching and classy. I found it neat how they had the #20 painted in right field for Gonzo.

They also had #4 painted right behind 2nd base.