PDA

View Full Version : Number of new faces on 2007 White Sox?

ondafarm
10-01-2006, 04:21 PM
How many new faces will there be on the 2007 White Sox as they move north at the end of spring training?

A couple of ground rules.

1) New free-agent signings count.

2) Players acquired in trades count (unless they are assigned to the minor leagues.)

3) New coaches count only if they weren't here before. (If Sandy Alomar Jr changes from a backup catcher to bench coach then he doesn't count as a new face. But a new back up cathcer would.)

4) September call ups count, unless they are temporarily replacing a guy on the DL. (If Dye has an unjry in ST and is on the 15 day DL and Sweeney replaces him for the first two weeks only, then Sweeney doesn't count. If Sweeney stayed as the 4th outfielder he'd count.)

5) Hermanson does not count as a new face, but Takatsu would.

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I say we will have 4 new faces next year

SS
OF
2 MR

Kub_Killer_15
10-01-2006, 04:28 PM
2 new bullpen arms
1 new OutFielder
1 new Starting Pitcher
1 new b/u 3rd baseman
1 new coach
6 new faces

Bucky F. Dent
10-01-2006, 04:35 PM
two outfielders
a starting pitcher,
and two relievers (one to take McCarthy's place as he moves into the rotation).

ondafarm
10-01-2006, 06:49 PM
My thoughts are:

McCarthy into the rotation (not counting McCarthy as a new face)

Haeger to replace McCarthy as long relief (one new face)

Cintron replaces Uribe as primary SS. (not a new face)

Fields replacing Cintron as infield back up. (another new face)

Garcia (and possibly Uribe) traded for a new left-fielder/ lead-off man (a third new face) and probably a mid-level prospect.

Total 3 new faces.

chisoxmike
10-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Uribe stays. (Unless we can somehow manage to get Young)

Why are so many people ready to throw Uribe under a bus and let him die?

Grzegorz
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
I can see Uribe staying as a backup to Cintron.

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 08:17 PM
We also need back up Catcher

ondafarm
10-01-2006, 09:37 PM
We also need back up Catcher

That's true.

Gregory Pratt
10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
I can see Uribe staying as a backup to Cintron.

Alex Cintron is not good enough to start on this team. Sorry.
And there's nothing to suggest that anyone in the organization thinks so, either.

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2006, 09:52 PM
I think we will see a couple new faces in the bullpen (we NEED more middle relief), a new face in Left Field, and a new back-up catcher.

Sox-o-matic
10-01-2006, 11:17 PM
My thoughts are:

Garcia (and possibly Uribe) traded for a new left-fielder/ lead-off man (a third new face) and probably a mid-level prospect.

Total 3 new faces.

Man, that would be one disappointing offseason.

Chips
10-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Uribe stays. (Unless we can somehow manage to get Young)

Why are so many people ready to throw Uribe under a bus and let him die?

Because people do not like his bat. :dunno:

He has suberb defense.

Let's get some new bullpen picthers.

EDIT: He = Uribe.

DSpivack
10-01-2006, 11:31 PM

He has suberb defense.

Let's get some new bullpen picthers

Yeah, that makes sense.

Cintron=worse glove, worse than offense than Uribe.

Chips
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, that makes sense.

Cintron=worse glove, worse than offense than Uribe.

That's what I was saying.

oeo
10-01-2006, 11:36 PM
My thoughts are:

Total 3 new faces.

Kenny has already said that his goal is to put together one of the better bullpens in baseball and a 'deeper' rotation. These don't do either, and like someone said, that's a disappointing offseason.

I don't know how many new faces there will be, but I'd be willing to bet there will be at least two new bullpen guys.

chisoxmike
10-01-2006, 11:38 PM

He has suberb defense.

Some people don't get the fact the fact that pitching and defense wins championships.

Chips
10-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Some people don't get the fact the fact that pitching and defense wins championships.

Thankfully those people are not the GM for the Sox.

Sox-o-matic
10-01-2006, 11:50 PM
I voted for 5.

I think KW will go out and get TWO impact players to fill two of the following spots: SP, SS, 2B, LF, CF. From there he will get a couple relievers, a backup catcher, and maybe tweak the bench to add a backup CF (hopefully)

I can imagine KW being interested in any of these possible free agents:
Jason Schmidt, Torii Hunter, Juan Pierre, Gary Matthews, Jr., Barry Zito, Latroy Hawkins, Brian Roberts, JC Romero, Arthur Rhodes, Ray King, Gregg Zaun, Rod Barajas, Henry Blanco, Miguel Batista, maybe even Kerry Wood as a reliever or Mark Mulder in another one of his buy low/sell high deals.

I can also imagine KW being interested in trading for one of these guys, who will be on the market after 2007:
Jeremy Affeldt, Marcus Giles, Andruw Jones, Ichiro, Vernon Wells, or Michael Young

And maybe he'll have some interest in Carl Crawford if Tampa decides to move him.

Sox-o-matic
10-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Kenny has already said that his goal is to put together one of the better bullpens in baseball and a 'deeper' rotation. These don't do either, and like someone said, that's a disappointing offseason.

I don't know how many new faces there will be, but I'd be willing to bet there will be at least two new bullpen guys.

He would have to do that via trade then because David Riske will be one of the top relievers available and we've already had him.

I'm still reeling at the failure of our bullpen. On paper, Jenks-Thornton-MacDougal-Riske-Cotts is dominant. I honestly don't know who KW can realistically go out and get who would make our pen that much better than it was supposed to be this year. There are a couple of guys in Seattle that I'd love to have here but I doubt the Mariners are going to part with them unless someone overpays.

RealMenWearBlack
10-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Does anyone think that El Duque would be a solid pickup as a middle reliever?

kevin57
10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I voted 3-5 changes. Kenny has said that he envisions only "tweaking" what we have now. Given Kenny's history, his idea of "tweaking" is 3-5 personnel changes.

slavko
10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Cintron is in the Graffanino category as a fielder. Plays a lot of positions, none good enough to start. I like him on the team, but he's a utility infielder. Uribe in the field (at his best) makes some great plays and has a cannon for an arm.

Palehose13
10-04-2006, 01:20 PM
I think we will see a couple new faces in the bullpen (we NEED more middle relief), a new face in Left Field, and a new back-up catcher.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I voted 3-5.

JB98
10-05-2006, 01:15 PM

He has suberb defense.

I've actually been upset with Uribe's defense this year. Too much sloppiness on routine plays. In 2005, Juan played a brilliant shortstop. This season, not so much. Offensively, he doesn't get many hits, but at least he is reasonably productive. If he gives us 70 RBIs every year, that's fine as long as he plays good defense. My feeling is KW will look into acquiring Young or Rollins, but in the end, he'll stick with Uribe and hope Juan plays better in 2007.

Back to the poll topic, I voted 6-8, but I think it will be closer to six than eight. Two new outfielders, two new relievers, one new starting pitching and a backup catcher.

A. Cavatica
10-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I voted 6-8, which I think is more turnover than anyone (including KW) currently contemplates -- but once he starts dealing he won't be able to stop himself. :D:

CHISOXFAN13
10-05-2006, 01:31 PM

There's also nothing wrong with having a shrotstop who can play defense and have an OBP. better than .260. That's what I'm hoping for. I have yet to read the baseball rule that says shortstops have to absolutely suck with the bat.

TDog
10-06-2006, 01:37 AM
I voted 6-8, which I think is more turnover than anyone (including KW) currently contemplates -- but once he starts dealing he won't be able to stop himself. :D:

Off the top of my head, I recall 6 new faces on the Sox opening this season: Thome, Vazquez, Cintron, Thornton, Mackowiak and Logan. Everyone who left the 2005 team, except perhaps Blum, essentially was shown the door. And that was after a successful season.

I don't think 6-8 new faces is more turnover than Kenny Williams anticipates. I know it wouldn't surprise me.

A. Cavatica
10-06-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't think 6-8 new faces is more turnover than Kenny Williams anticipates. I know it wouldn't surprise me.

Kenny was quoted recently as saying he expected minor tweaks. 6-8 is more than minor tweaks. I think that Kenny could stop after 5 moves (LF, reserve OF, backup C, 2 relievers). However, we know he'll take the opportunity if a significant opportunity presents itself, i.e. trading quality for quality, and I think such opportunities will present themselves.

To those who expect fewer changes: 5 seems like the minimum number of changes to expect. Remember, if any of the Sept. callups make the team they count toward the "new faces".

TDog
10-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Kenny was quoted recently as saying he expected minor tweaks. 6-8 is more than minor tweaks. I think that Kenny could stop after 5 moves (LF, reserve OF, backup C, 2 relievers). However, we know he'll take the opportunity if a significant opportunity presents itself, i.e. trading quality for quality, and I think such opportunities will present themselves.

To those who expect fewer changes: 5 seems like the minimum number of changes to expect. Remember, if any of the Sept. callups make the team they count toward the "new faces".

After the World Series championship, the minor tweaks led to 6 new faces. Of course, probably 4 of those new faces won't be going anywhere. Instead of strengthening the bench, more attention will be paid to pitching. But there will probably be a new backup catcher. At least one starter appears to be gone. Podsednik appears to be gone. New faces just tend to add up. I would be surprised if it were five or fewer.

southside rocks
10-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Nate Whalen, who covers the Sox for the Daily Southtown, has some thoughts on this.
http://blogs.dailysouthtown.com/whalen/

I think that Pods will be gone; Uribe will be gone; and one of the starting 5 pitchers will be gone.

I think Sweeney will be a starter in the OF, probably in left, and that Williams will deal for a shortstop and a second-string catcher. And I think he'll get as many pitchers as he can without shooting the payroll up to $150 mil.

I have a hard time picturing KW going for any big names, any big-ticket players, just because he's tended to acquire players who were in some way "bargains." Even Thome, the big splash of last off-season, came with some of his salary being paid by the Phils. That's KW's kind of deal.

Carl Crawford is within the realm of possibility, but because the Sox have some promising young OF in the farm system, it may be that KW goes for a solid shortstop instead.

JermaineDye05
10-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Nate Whalen, who covers the Sox for the Daily Southtown, has some thoughts on this.
http://blogs.dailysouthtown.com/whalen/

I think that Pods will be gone; Uribe will be gone; and one of the starting 5 pitchers will be gone.

I think Sweeney will be a starter in the OF, probably in left, and that Williams will deal for a shortstop and a second-string catcher. And I think he'll get as many pitchers as he can without shooting the payroll up to $150 mil.

I have a hard time picturing KW going for any big names, any big-ticket players, just because he's tended to acquire players who were in some way "bargains." Even Thome, the big splash of last off-season, came with some of his salary being paid by the Phils. That's KW's kind of deal.

Carl Crawford is within the realm of possibility, but because the Sox have some promising young OF in the farm system, it may be that KW goes for a solid shortstop instead.

I agree with a lot of that although for the second string catcher I wouldnt mind the sox taking Chris Stewart up with them although he didn't appear to have much with the bat I really liked what I saw of him behind the plate especially in that indians game where he threw out Sizemore twice and one of those times when Haeger was pitching.

ondafarm
10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I think Sweeney next year would look a lot like did Anderson this year.

While KW may be dealing for a renter on a left-fielder/ lead-off guy, I doubt Uribe will be gone and but possibly a new back-up catcher will be here.

soxinem1
10-07-2006, 11:05 AM
That's true.

Stewart is the best throwing catcher I have seen us come up with since karkovice, I vote for him, after a few weeks at the Walt Hriniak school of hitting.

soxinem1
10-07-2006, 11:10 AM

Exactly. I think KW would admit he ignored the foundation that was built for the 2005 team, and will now make an attempt to return the major elements consistently missing from 2006:

1. Baserunning, situational hitting, and hitting behind runners
2. Defense and turning DP's
3. Quality starts
4. Slam the door-type bullpen

If it takes three new players or six new players, it needs to be done.

ondafarm
03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm wondering what numbers we are looking at now?

SBSoxFan
03-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Wow, I started reading this and thought: "What are these guys smoking?" And then I saw the post dates. :redface: