PDA

View Full Version : Bonds wants Shammy to break his HR record

Iwritecode
03-01-2002, 01:38 PM
Bonds to Sosa: I want you to break my record
Two sluggers chatted it up before kicking off Cactus League play Thursday
By Carrie Muskat
MLB.com

MESA, Ariz. -- Sammy Sosa can now shoot for 74 home runs. Barry Bonds gave Sosa his blessing.

The two big boppers met and hugged in center field before Thursday's Cactus League opener at HoHoKam Park, which Bonds' San Francisco Giants won, 5-4, over Sosa's Chicago Cubs.

"He said, 'I want you to break my record' and I said, 'No, no,'" Sosa said. "He said, 'I want you to hit 70.' I said, 'Let me go with my plan and whatever happens, happens.'"

Roger Maris' record of 61 home runs stood for 37 years until Mark McGwire broke it in 1998 with 70. It took Bonds only three years to top McGwire, clubbing 73 homers last year.

How long will that last?

"Sixty-one stood for so long," Cubs manager Don Baylor said. "Then it goes to 70 and then 70 comes down. I'm not going to say never. It's remarkable. Where does it stop? It might not be around for 30 years."

Sosa, who hit 64 homers last year, could be the one to top it.

"I'm never going to say never with him," Baylor said of his right fielder. "He's done some incredible things."

Could Sosa hit 70?

"It's probably not out of the realm of the imagination," Baylor said.

"I've been close (to 70) three or four times," Sosa said. "Hopefully the next time I shoot for it, I'll make it."

Bonds has hit 122 homers over the last two years, tops in the majors, eight more than Sosa in that stretch. But Sosa is the first player ever to have three 60-homer seasons, and has hit 243 dingers from 1998-2001.

"Barry reached 73 quick," Sosa said. "Don't be surprised if this year or next year, somebody will hit 74, 75."

What about 80?

"I don't know about that," Sosa said, chuckling.

"Every year, somebody new is coming," the Cubs right fielder said. "I don't know who's going to be the man this year. But don't count me out."

It may be a little easier this year for Sosa because he'll have Fred McGriff and Moises Alou in the lineup hitting behind him.

"In some situations, yes, (it will be easier)," Sosa said. "But I'm the type of guy, I don't lean on anybody.

IWC NOTE: This translates to "as long as my individual stats are good, who cares who hits in front or behind me?"

Hopefully I can see some better pitches. With Freddy and Moises and the rest of the team, it's going to be awesome. You don't have to count on Freddy, myself or Moises. Like (Alex) Gonzalez today. Everything has to come together in order for us to get to the next level."

Gonzalez hit a two-run homer in his first Cubs at-bat but Angel Pena clubbed a towering two-run blast in the ninth off Ron Mahay for the game-winner.

Bonds walked in both of his at-bats Thursday, while Sosa reached on a fielder's choice in the first and scored on McGriff's double. He walked in the third and stole second.

"(I want) to show the world I'm ready," Sosa said of his steal. "To show the world I'm not fat. I've got my speed. Hey, I got a stolen base. I didn't have one last year. I've got one already."

IWC NOTE: Can someone please tell him that ST stats don't really count?

His right ankle was wrapped in ice after his three innings of play but Sosa attributed that to his new spikes catching at third base. He was scheduled to make the trip to Scottsdale Friday to play against the Giants.

Sosa will take serious aim at Bonds' record on Opening Day.

"Home run is the name of the game," Sosa said. "But you cannot think about it all the time and go up there and shoot for a home run every at-bat.
"People do come to the ballpark to see the ball fly," he said.

IWC NOTE: Do I even need to say anything?

Bonds will be pressed to try and repeat with 70-plus.

"He had an awesome year last year," Sosa said of the National League MVP. "But this is a new year."

Nellie_Fox
03-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
"Home run is the name of the game," Sosa said.
No, Sammy, the game you are thinking of is Home Run Derby. This game is called baseball, and the purpose of the game is to win, not collect individual stats.

cheeses_h_rice
03-01-2002, 02:08 PM
It's like a microscope into the soul and psyche of the man. It's so obvious he's self-obsessed and concerned more about individual achievements and being popular with the fans than actually contributing to a winning effort.

Has any head in the history of baseball ever gotten this large? I doubt it.

moochpuppy
03-01-2002, 02:15 PM

"I've been close (to 70) three or four times," Sosa said.

Close?!? 63,64 & 66......close is 2 or 3 away, ShamMe.

"Hopefully the next time I shoot for it, I'll make it."

Well, at least he admits his failure.

CerberusWG
03-01-2002, 02:48 PM
200 strikeouts anyone?

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

No, Sammy, the game you are thinking of is Home Run Derby. This game is called baseball, and the purpose of the game is to win, not collect individual stats. :shammy

Jay, what the hell is this guy talking about?

:moron

Don't worry, Sammy. He's just a confused Smut Sox fan. Your priorities are in good order. After all, you saved baseball.

HawkDJ
03-01-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
200 strikeouts anyone?

This reminds me, does anyone know the career record for strikeouts? Samm has to be close in the 1600s, almost double Big Frank's.

cheeses_h_rice
03-01-2002, 03:19 PM
There's also a Phil Rogers article about which slugger has the better chance to beat Hank Aaron's HR record, which links to a summary page on each player's chances. I particularly love the little digs they get in about Sosa's age and the team he plays on:

Sammy Sosa
Current home runs: 450
Stats, Inc. projected chance of 756: 47%

The case for: Unlike Griffey, Sosa's 756 potential keeps on growing. Four years, it was zero. Now, it's nearly fifty-fifty. He's hit 243 home runs the past four years, and average of nearly 61 per year. If he averages that over the next four years he'll be at 693 at age 38. He's also durable (only 12 games missed the past five seasons) and showing more selectivity at the plate as he gets older (career-high 116 walks last year).

The case against: Who knows, he's probably 36 instead of 33. He's a Cub, so that's gotta be a strike against him. The winds could blow directly in at Wrigley over the next three years. Don Baylor may tell Sammy to become a better all-around ballplayer, having him hit-and-run and bunt more often.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2002/0228/1342895.html

cheeses_h_rice
03-01-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

This reminds me, does anyone know the career record for strikeouts? Samm has to be close in the 1600s, almost double Big Frank's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SO_career.shtml

Reggie Jackson is by far the leader, with about 2600 career K's. Sam-ME would really have to swing for the fences for him to surpass that...

HawkDJ
03-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/SO_career.shtml

Reggie Jackson is by far the leader, with about 2600 career K's. Sam-ME would really have to swing for the fences for him to surpass that...

Wow :o: ....ok then, nevermind

moochpuppy
03-01-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
200 strikeouts anyone?

:shammy

"I've been close (to 200) three or four times," Sosa said. "Hopefully the next time I shoot for it, I'll make it."

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

:shammy

"I've been close (to 200) three or four times," Sosa said. "Hopefully the next time I shoot for it, I'll make it." i want anybody besides shammy to break bonds records. it seems to me with mark mcguire, i guess the next person to hope for will be adam dunn of the reds......

CubKilla
03-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Barry Bonds must have hired Shammy's PR guy. If anyone thinks the egotistical, megalomaniacal, all around a$$hole jagbag Barry Bonds wants anybody to beat his record your crazy. Bonds would love nothing better than to have his record stand as long or longer than Maris'. At least with McGwire against Shammy I had someone to cheer for. Shammy and Bonds could both drop dead for all I care.

irish rover
03-02-2002, 08:25 AM
I find it interesting that they only quote what sammy said barry said

also, sammy is far from #1 in K's but he is only 300 away from 2nd and would get there faster than anyone else, if I read the stats right

foulkesfan11
03-02-2002, 09:44 AM
Shammy won't get 70. Being close just doesn't cut it. He might get the record for the most strikeouts in a single season though. I wish he'd quit polluting Chicago with his selfish acts and go back to where he came from.