PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-2

Lip Man 1
10-01-2006, 12:03 PM
October 2, 1904 - Guy "Doc" White’s streak of 45 consecutive scoreless innings is broken when the New York Highlanders get a run in the first inning of the first game of a twin bill in Chicago. White would pitch in both games, getting decisions in both. He won the first game, lost the second.

October 2, 1959 - Game #2 of the World Series was looking like a repeat of Game #1. The Sox were leading the Dodgers 2 - 1 in the 7th inning with two out when Chuck Essegian and Charlie Neal slug home runs off Bob Shaw. As the late Al Smith drifted back to the wall in left center trying to get to Neal’s blast, he got a face full of beer knocked over by a fan reaching for the home run ball. Making matters worse was that in the middle of an 8th inning Sox rally, the slowest man in baseball, Sherm Lollar was waived home with what would have been the tying run on a double by Smith. He was out by ten feet. Instead of having men on second and third with no out, it was a runner on third with one out. The Sox lost the game 4 - 3. (Bob Shaw talked in detail about this game and the series in his interview with White Sox Interactive.)

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/77/b1/e2_1.JPG

Lip

PaulDrake
10-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Why did Tony Cuccinello wave home Lollar? Some questions just can't be answered. I was just a kid, but had a real sick feeling after that game.