PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this deal

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 11:59 AM
I was listening to XM radio and they were interviewing a Marlins beat writer about what the Marlins might do next season.. He came up with this trade idea..

Marlins would send Miquel Cabrera to the Sox for B Mac and B Anderson

Chips
10-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I was listening to XM radio and they were interviewing a Marlins beat writer about what the Marlins might do next season.. He came up with this trade idea..

No. I wouldn't trade Anderson.

MUsoxfan
10-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I'd make that deal in a heartbeat

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Just think what our lineup would be if this trade went through and we upgraded at SS with M Young and picked up a cheap CF.

1 D Erstad CF
2 M Young SS
3 J Dye RF
4 P Konerko 1B
J Thome DH
6 M Cabrera LF
7 AJ C
8 J Crede 3B
9 T Iguchi 2B

Craig Grebeck
10-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Not to hijack the thread but why on earth would Darin Erstad leadoff, let alone play everyday, let alone play baseball ever again, let alone for a team try to compete?

chisoxmike
10-01-2006, 12:31 PM
When will people realize we to get a better front end of the bullpen and maybe try and get a fifth starter if two of the starting five go?

:dunno:

Chips
10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
When will people realize we to get a better front end of the bullpen and maybe try and get a fifth starter if two of the starting five go?

Never, the entire offseason is going to consist of crazy trade rumors that do not address any of our immeadiate needs.

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Not to hijack the thread but why on earth would Darin Erstad leadoff, let alone play everyday, let alone play baseball ever again, let alone for a team try to compete?

Erstad had a pretty good season in 05 and I think he would be a good contact hitter at the leadoff spot

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 12:38 PM

We can pick up a 2 cheap relievers in the free agent market that can fulfill our needs.

like Jamie Walker and Justin Speier

Sox Fan 35
10-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Dosen't KW really like Erstad?

I don't know if I would do that trade. I really like McCarthy and it is too early to give up on Anderson.

spiffie
10-01-2006, 12:43 PM
If that is ever offered, and Kenny Williams said no to that trade, I believe it could be reasonably said that he has lost control of his mental faculties and needs to be institutionalized immediately.

Jjav829
10-01-2006, 12:43 PM

On talent alone, of course I would make that deal. But it really doesn't address any team needs and it just increases our payroll.

It's a trade that looks great on paper, but still leaves us with a few major problems and less money/chips to work with to address those problems.

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Never, the entire offseason is going to consist of crazy trade rumors that do not address any of our immeadiate needs.
Yep. KW has already said he plans to bring most of this team back, and I sincerely hope he means it.

When will some people get it that THIS IS NOT A BAD TEAM? They just underachieved the second half of the season. Anyone remember the first half of the season, when they looked pretty much invincible? When, anytime they fell behind, we were pretty confident they'd pull it out, and they usually did?

Oh, well; at least the crazy trade rumors will help pass the time, I guess. :cool:

Craig Grebeck
10-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Erstad had a pretty good season in 05 and I think he would be a good contact hitter at the leadoff spot
.273/.325/.371

OPS .696

And that was his pretty good season. He had one good year in 2000, since then he has been absolutely dreadful.

God I hope Kenny is smarter than that

0o0o0
10-01-2006, 12:48 PM
But think of how much better we'll be on paper. :redneck

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 12:54 PM
.273/.325/.371

OPS .696

And that was his pretty good season. He had one good year in 2000, since then he has been absolutely dreadful.

God I hope Kenny is smarter than that

He also had a good season in 04. Plus those stats are alot better than what Pods gave us this year...

Also I said Erstad would come cheap..

caulfield12
10-01-2006, 12:55 PM
We can pick up a 2 cheap relievers in the free agent market that can fulfill our needs.

like Jamie Walker and Justin Speier

Jamie Walker is going to get a similar contract to what Eyre got from the Cubs. If you call that cheap, okay.

Craig Grebeck
10-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Caulfield is right, there is no need to throw money at overpriced middle relievers. We can build from within the system and not make the same mistakes Hendry made.

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Jamie Walker is going to get a similar contract to what Eyre got from the Cubs. If you call that cheap, okay.

3M a year is pretty cheap by today standards.. If you want someone who will come even cheaper we can always pick up JC Romero

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Caulfield is right, there is no need to throw money at overpriced middle relievers. We can build from within the system and not make the same mistakes Hendry made.

KW said he wasn't to happy with our prospects and he will look in the free agent market to fulfill our needs

Craig Grebeck
10-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Middle relievers aren't that important. You can gamble on someone in the system and get away with it. We'd be fine standing pat.

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Middle relievers aren't that important. You can gamble on someone in the system and get away with it. We'd be fine standing pat.

I think every guy on the team is very important.. Our MR is one of the biggest reasons we won't be playing in the post season

DSpivack
10-01-2006, 01:29 PM

Hendry has made lots of mistakes, sure, but Howry and Eyre pitched pretty well this year, and the Sox were short a reliever or three. Now, I'm not saying I want those two ex-Sox, but sometimes it takes money to bring in talent. Building a bullpen is perhaps the hardest task for a GM.

ondafarm
10-01-2006, 01:38 PM

No.

caulfield12
10-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I think every guy on the team is very important.. Our MR is one of the biggest reasons we won't be playing in the post season

The ultimate question is, do you want to pay $3-4 million to a Jamie Walker or Dennys Reyes to be the 2nd LH out of the pen? Or have co-#1's out of the pen, with the idea one won't be strong?

Doing that causes you to cut somewhere else...like a Cintron or Mackowiak off the bench.

I can't think of many teams in baseball that pay that mind of money to their pen...Minnesota just happened to develop Neshek and they took a stab in the dark to get Reyes and it worked. Our 10 LH relief prospects in ST didn't.

shoelessshaun27!
10-01-2006, 02:53 PM
That's brilliant, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Thome25
10-02-2006, 10:21 AM
It all depends on the number of season tickets that are sold. The White Sox payroll will increase even if they don't sign any free agents or trade for anyone.

When they pick up the options of Buehrle and Dye the will owe 100 million to HALF of their roster. That's what the paid to their ENTIRE roster this season.

That doesn't include pay increases for Crede, Thornton, MacDougal or any other arbitration eligible players they have.

If we want to even have a chance at such names as Young, Tejada, Zito, Cabrera, Roberts, Figgins, etc. One of two things has to happen:

1.) The White Sox need to shed some payroll.

2.) The fans need to hit the turnstyles hard again in 2007.

If neither of those things happen, then we will see MINOR changes in this team for 2007.

oeo
10-02-2006, 11:01 AM

How was that a mistake that Hendry made? If anything, that was one of the few things he did well.

I think KW will be going after Walker...he knows we need a bullpen, and he's going to get one.

Who the hell in our system do you want in our bullpen next year? Haeger? Ugh. Tracy? Ugh. We can't just build from within our system. Our bullpen is our biggest need, that's what we should be making moves for, not building from within, we don't have the guys to build from within.

As long as a winning team goes onto the field, the fans will come. So unless they plan on dismantling half the team, attendance will be in large numbers again next year.

itsnotrequired
10-02-2006, 11:12 AM
It all depends on the number of season tickets that are sold. The White Sox payroll will increase even if they don't sign any free agents or trade for anyone.

When they pick up the options of Buehrle and Dye the will owe 100 million to HALF of their roster. That's what the paid to their ENTIRE roster this season.

That doesn't include pay increases for Crede, Thornton, MacDougal or any other arbitration eligible players they have.

If we want to even have a chance at such names as Young, Tejada, Zito, Cabrera, Roberts, Figgins, etc. One of two things has to happen:

1.) The White Sox need to shed some payroll.

If neither of those things happen, then we will see MINOR changes in this team for 2007.

If all options are picked up (Buehrle, Dye, Iguchi and Hermanson), the total will come to $102.4 million for 13 players. As you mention, this does not include arbitration eligible players or the young guys (i.e. Anderson, McCarthy, etc.)

Thome is owed $14 million and if we assume the $22 million sent over from Philly is split evenly amongst the four seasons remaining on his contract (2006 included), then it is as if Philly is picking up $5.5 million of Thome's contract next season.

A similar deal exists for Vazquez. If we assume the $5 million sent over from Arizona is split equally between the final two years of the contract, it is as if Arizona is paying $2.5 million of his contract.

This combined $8 million in money from other teams can be knocked off the grand total to give $94.4 million locked up. However, I highly doubt Hermanson will be back so that's a $3.45 million savings ($3.5 million option minus $50k buyout).

So now we are talking about $90 million for 12 players (assumes Uribe is back as well). Crede and the rest of the young guys will probably eat up another $5 million so we're at about $95 million for a 25 man roster. This is enough space to sign a couple free agents and still not break the bank with payroll. And with season ticket renewals and a waiting list, money should not be an issue.

I'm guessing next year's payroll will be in the $106-108 million range.

caulfield12
10-02-2006, 12:35 PM
If all options are picked up (Buehrle, Dye, Iguchi and Hermanson), the total will come to $102.4 million for 13 players. As you mention, this does not include arbitration eligible players or the young guys (i.e. Anderson, McCarthy, etc.)

Thome is owed $14 million and if we assume the $22 million sent over from Philly is split evenly amongst the four seasons remaining on his contract (2006 included), then it is as if Philly is picking up $5.5 million of Thome's contract next season.

A similar deal exists for Vazquez. If we assume the $5 million sent over from Arizona is split equally between the final two years of the contract, it is as if Arizona is paying $2.5 million of his contract.

This combined $8 million in money from other teams can be knocked off the grand total to give $94.4 million locked up. However, I highly doubt Hermanson will be back so that's a $3.45 million savings ($3.5 million option minus $50k buyout).

So now we are talking about $90 million for 12 players (assumes Uribe is back as well). Crede and the rest of the young guys will probably eat up another $5 million so we're at about $95 million for a 25 man roster. This is enough space to sign a couple free agents and still not break the bank with payroll. And with season ticket renewals and a waiting list, money should not be an issue.

I'm guessing next year's payroll will be in the $106-108 million range.

The White Sox are getting $22 million back (from the Phillies) and paying $26 million for Thome, and it's for 3 years (through 2008), not through 2009.

So we're paying him around $9 million per season.

The other thing you have to consider is how much Pods would make in arbitration....if we go the youth route, we save $2-3 million. However, I don't see us starting BOTH Anderson and some combination of Fields/Sweeney/Owens in LF at the same time.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
The White Sox are getting $22 million back (from the Phillies) and paying $26 million for Thome, and it's for 3 years (through 2008), not through 2009.

So we're paying him around $9 million per season.

For some idiotic reason, I included 2005 in my numbers. ***? Anyway, if the $22 million sent by the Phillies is divided equally over the 3 years of his contract, that's the equivalent of $7.333 million of his salary paid each year by the Phillies. Thome is owed $14 million next season so the Sox are actually paying less than $7 million a year for him.

Tekijawa
10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
So now we are talking about $90 million for 12 players (assumes Uribe is back as well). Crede and the rest of the young guys will probably eat up another $5 million so we're at about $95 million for a 25 man roster.

I don't think that there will be 12 players in our system willing to PAY about $100k next year to make the roster. That's the only way I see Crede and 12 other guys costing $5 Million Next year. The league minimum is over $300K now, and there's no way that I see Crede winning less than $5 Mil next year in arbitration.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't think that there will be 12 players in our system willing to PAY about $100k next year to make the roster. That's the only way I see Crede and 12 other guys costing $5 Million Next year. The league minimum is over $300K now, and there's no way that I see Crede winning less than $5 Mil next year in arbitration.

I personally think Joe will get $4 million next season but let's say Crede and the young guys eat up $7 million. That still results in a payroll under $100 million.

jenn2080
10-03-2006, 03:39 PM

Absolutely not. I would not trade Anderson.