PDA

View Full Version : Konerko on KW "love fest"

caulfield12
10-01-2006, 12:24 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060930soxgamer,1,4001462.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

DickAllen72
10-01-2006, 12:30 AM
"People don't understand that it's not just stolen bases that affect the team," Pierzynski said. "It's the threat of the stolen base and how it changes the way you pitch certain guys. It's the pressure you put on a defense when you take the extra base.

"I don't know if it's necessarily speed. It's more that we need to be more aggressive on the bases and take the extra base. I know Joey waves a lot of guys home, but maybe [we need to try] to go first to third more often, turn singles into doubles."

(http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060930soxgamer,1,4001462.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)
A.J. is 100% correct, of course. Let's hope KW can bring in players who can run the bases.

spiffie
10-01-2006, 10:35 AM
A.J. is 100% correct, of course. Let's hope KW can bring in players who can run the bases.
I would settle for some guys who can even get on the freaking bases. considering half of our every day lineup was in the bottom 10-15% of OBP (including Juan Uribe, in dead last), I'd say KW should be able to improve on that one.

ZombieRob
10-01-2006, 11:01 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060930soxgamer,1,4001462.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

He's a good **s kisser ,nice company man.

soxruleEP
10-01-2006, 06:56 PM
He's a good **s kisser ,nice company man.

What exactly should he have said, that KW didn't put together a team that was capable of winning the pennent?

One can have a positive view of one's boss without being an ass kisser.

BRDSR
10-02-2006, 02:06 AM
What exactly should he have said, that KW didn't put together a team that was capable of winning the pennent?

That would just be downright wrong. KW did put together a team that was capable of winning the pennant. KW certainly isn't the type of guy to throw his team under the bus and blame the season on them, but I think he deserves to be one of the most frustrated men in sports right now. Just hope he channels that frustration. Just because he put together an entire team that was capable of winning the pennant doesn't mean each of those players should come back next year.

HURT35
10-02-2006, 01:50 PM
One thing that Kenny needs to be held accountable for is putting all of his eggs into Anderson's basket. He had no back-up plan for Brian struggling. I am definately in the camp that says that Ozzie should have kept putting BA out there regardless of offense but that's only because there was no alternative. Its his job to give Ozzie a legit alternative. He certainly could have addressed this at some point in the last nearly 12 months. Regardless of starting pitching failures etc that Kenny is not at fault for- it would be hard to dispute that the 5 games behind Detroit that they ended up could also have been lost by bad CF play when Anderson was not out there. Both Ozzie and Kenny have to be accountable for this.

dzipio
10-02-2006, 02:20 PM
It wasn't BAs fault we didn't make the playoffs. It was the pitching. We all knew it was gonna take time for him to adjust and KW said as much. I don't see this as a mistake.

HURT35
10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I am not saying it was BA's fault for not making the playoffs. I am saying that Kenny should be accountable for not having a back up plan for CF and the subsequent butcher-like play that was done out there when Anderson didnt play. If they were comfortable with the concept of not requiring significant offense from CF then Williams should have either required that Ozzie keep Anderson out there all year or should have given him a viable alternative.

I bring that up to counter the notion that Williams did everything he could do to help this team and it was solely lost on the field. I agree with that in almost all respects in this case I dont.

I'd really like to see someone make him answer for this as well.

caulfield12
10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I am not saying it was BA's fault for not making the playoffs. I am saying that Kenny should be accountable for not having a back up plan for CF and the subsequent butcher-like play that was done out there when Anderson didnt play. If they were comfortable with the concept of not requiring significant offense from CF then Williams should have either required that Ozzie keep Anderson out there all year or should have given him a viable alternative.

I bring that up to counter the notion that Williams did everything he could do to help this team and it was solely lost on the field. I agree with that in almost all respects in this case I dont.

I'd really like to see someone make him answer for this as well.

Maybe we should send him to Guantanamo Bay.

soxruleEP
10-02-2006, 07:42 PM
That would just be downright wrong. .

That was my point; rereading my post I can see it wasn't clear.

Frontman
10-02-2006, 10:16 PM
It wasn't BAs fault we didn't make the playoffs. It was the pitching. We all knew it was gonna take time for him to adjust and KW said as much. I don't see this as a mistake.

No, it was the entire team. When Javy was throwing 8 innings of great baseball, giving up only one run, we couldn't even answer that.

Front

jenn2080
10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
One thing that Kenny needs to be held accountable for is putting all of his eggs into Anderson's basket. He had no back-up plan for Brian struggling. I am definately in the camp that says that Ozzie should have kept putting BA out there regardless of offense but that's only because there was no alternative. Its his job to give Ozzie a legit alternative. He certainly could have addressed this at some point in the last nearly 12 months. Regardless of starting pitching failures etc that Kenny is not at fault for- it would be hard to dispute that the 5 games behind Detroit that they ended up could also have been lost by bad CF play when Anderson was not out there. Both Ozzie and Kenny have to be accountable for this.

Keeping Brian out there 95% of the season should have been the alternative. Brian would have got into a groove. He did not have enough at bats which Ozzie points out in an interview at the end of the seaon, but Brian not having enough at bats was Ozzies fault. Our team was suppose to be based a lot on defense and putting Rob in center over Brian was not what was best for the team. We gave a lot of runs due to Rob's poor defense in center field.

IowaSox1971
10-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Keeping Brian out there 95% of the season should have been the alternative. Brian would have got into a groove. He did not have enough at bats which Ozzie points out in an interview at the end of the seaon, but Brian not having enough at bats was Ozzies fault. Our team was suppose to be based a lot on defense and putting Rob in center over Brian was not what was best for the team. We gave a lot of runs due to Rob's poor defense in center field.

Why do so many people refuse to blame Anderson for anything? He hit .225 as our starting center fielder, and he drove in only 33 runs all season. It's absurd for people to say his poor offense didn't lose any games for us. In the American League, you can't have a center fielder batting .225 and not feel the effects of it. If Anderson had just batted .215 in the season's first half we very likely would have been ahead of Detroit at the All-Star break and our mind-set would have totally changed for the second half.

Anderson's defense was good for most of the year, but it tailed off a bit toward the end of the season. Contrary to what some people say, he did not catch everything hit his way. In some games, a ball that Anderson had allowed to drop was magnified because the opposing center fielder ended up making the catch on a similar play later in the game.

Anderson didn't hit for power, he didn't hit for average, he didn't produce in many key situations and he didn't steal many bases. For a large portion of the season, he was practically an automatic out at the plate. In so many games, a two-run single or a solo homer by anyone (even Anderson) would have made a big difference. But he hardly ever provided that for us. Every time you lose by one run, it doesn't have to be the fault of Dye, Thome, Crede or Konerko. There's no rule that the ninth-place hitter has to be an automatic out. The ninth-place hitters on the Twins seemed to wear us out, but Anderson rarely did that to the opposition.

Look at Anderson's numbers: The guy didn't produce. It's Anderson's fault that Mackowiak ended up playing so much in center. If Anderson had done his job, Mackowiak wouldn't have been needed out there in an effort to find a spark.