PDA

View Full Version : Which Starting Pitcher to Trade this Offseason?

Brian26
09-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Which starter should be traded over the winter?

I like the heart that Freddy has shown lately. I would trade Vazquez at this point and let McCarthy take over as #5.

ShoelessJoeS
09-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Vazquez has been amazing since Aug, same with Freddy...I really don't know who to vote for.

sox1970
09-30-2006, 10:49 PM
It looks like it will be Freddy, but I would trade Contreras. I just have a bad feeling about him bouncing back and dominating like he did. He started 30 games for Sox this year, and they went 15-15. They're going to need better production. I know Vazquez was worse, but I think his arm is too good to give up on. I'm hoping he can stay away from the big innings next year, and be a 16-18 game winner behind a better bullpen--which is another topic.

dcb56
09-30-2006, 11:20 PM
The question may be better asked as which starting pitcher to keep this offseason? I think one could make a valid case for moving any of the starters except for Garland and if the right deal came along I wouldn't be opposed to seeing KW trade any of the other four.

shoelessshaun27!
09-30-2006, 11:57 PM
I'd say Mark just because he had a rough year, and I think his contract is almost up.

Corlose 15
09-30-2006, 11:59 PM
If you had asked me this a month ago it would've been Garcia no question. With the way he finished though I'm not so sure. It seemed like his stuff was gone but if he's finally throwing above 90mph and has a new splitter that seems to be effective I'm not sure. Vazquez was also good down the stretch and has SOOOOO much potential. I was shocked to see today that Freddy has won 17 games this year.

If you look at their monthly results. Strictly speaking ERA wise, Garcia has had 1 great month, 1 good (3.70), and the rest mediocre. Vazquez was good (all under 3) except for that godawful 2 month nightmare. So I think what it comes down to is whether or not Garcia's arm is back. If so, I'd probably take him just on his mentality. Although, his consistent crappy results against crappy teams pisses me off.

Either way, I'd like to see one starter dealt to help solidify the bullpen.

Gremlin3
10-01-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm just happy that after 18 votes there are no votes for Garland.

oeo
10-01-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm just happy that after 18 votes there are no votes for Garland.

That's the way things work around here. Last year and the beginning of this year, Contreras was that guy that was untouchable. Years before that it was Buehrle all the time. Garland pitched well, so he's great. Everyone else sucks.

I think who to trade, depends on who you're getting in return. If McCarthy could get a deal done for Crawford, then good bye Brandon. I know one of them will be gone next year, but I don't want any of them gone. :(:

Frontman
10-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I would say Garcia, for the fact that his trade value is possibly at the highest I could be. Yes, he had a rough start, but he has finished very strong. The others aren't worth as much in trade.

Contreras= have no clue his actual age. He's also the only one out of the six currently ending the season with an actual injury. Trade value is low right now, based on that.

Mark= I'd like to believe he's got his bad season out of his way, but also what would he offer in value to the other team? One year left on his deal, then he's a FA, if I'm not mistaken.

Garland=No, no; a thousand times, no. He's been the best of the 5 in rotation this year, and I'd even go so far as to make an argument for him to be our "ace" next year.

Vaquez= To paraphrase T.O.'s publisist, Javy has 12 million reasons his value is not that strong in trade. That's an awful lot of money for the other team to take over, and unless the Sox cover some of that, his numbers don't support that dollar amount.

McCarthy= I've beaten up on Brandon pretty hard this past few weeks, but he is a viable option to trade. He is also potential in the making, and I'd rather see us benefit from that possible payoff versus another team benefitting from it.

Frontman
10-01-2006, 12:29 AM
I'd say Mark just because he had a rough year, and I think his contract is almost up.

Actually that makes him harder to move. With his contract coming up, combined with a rough year, not too many teams will want him, unless they are looking for a left handed starter.

ShoelessJoeS
10-01-2006, 12:42 AM
I'd say Mark just because he had a rough year, and I think his contract is almost up.We'd have to pick up his option before we could trade him.

SoxFanPrope
10-01-2006, 03:07 AM
I vote Vaz because if we trade anyone else would that not make him our number four starter?? I like the guy but I would MUCH rather have him as our fifth starter.

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Nobody is "untouchable." Depends on what is offered.

StillMissOzzie
10-01-2006, 04:25 AM
Nobody is "untouchable." Depends on what is offered.

I agree 100%, Nellie. The Sox and KW have shown a willingness to make big-name trades.

I didn't cast a vote becasue I can't decide between Garcia and Vasquez. Both are signed through 2007 and want to have a salary drive season.

Garland? I'd say HIGHLY unlikely, he's signed through 2008 and still young and his star is rising.
Buehrle? I'd say unlikely, if only because he's got an option for $9.5M that I assume the Sox will exercise, thinking that one bad year after 5 decent ones is not the norm.
Contreras? Between the frequent whispers regarding his real age, finishing the year with an injury, and also recently signing a 3 year deal with the Sox, I think he wouldn't bring as much, as he'd be viewed as a high-risk acquisition.
McCarthy? I figured that part of the reason for a trade at all is to bring the low-cost McCarthy into the rotation and shedding some high-priced starter, freeing up some dough for other needed upgrades like the bullpen or LF.

So, this brings us back to Garcia or Vasquez. I think Garcia is signed for $10M for 2007 and Vasquez is signed for $12.5M ($3M covered by the Yankees), so the savings are a push, too. But, if it is Vasquez, do the Sox get to keep the $3M from the Yankees or is that somehow "attached" to the contract now, meaning the Sox are obligated to pass it along? Depending on who they get, the Sox may be eating some of the 2007 salary anyhow from either of these two.

SMO
:gulp:

Grzegorz
10-01-2006, 06:48 AM
To me I look to deal Garcia. His comments about the lack of offensive support and his constant drone about being traded in the off season are distracting, his trade value is good at this time, and he still shows ability to hold runners on base.

Again, I look to trade Garcia. I do not deal any of my starters just to deal. There must be return in any deal made.

jabrch
10-01-2006, 08:29 AM
I'll trade ANY of them. If we can get a legit star OF LF/leadoff hitter signed cheaply for Garland, then I'd trade him. (Thinking Crawford) If not, and we are making a trade for less value, then I'd move someone else who we'd get less in trade for.

But you can't say which you'd like to trade until you know what you'd get for them.

Craig Grebeck
10-01-2006, 08:35 AM
We need to build around McCarthy, Vazquez, and Garland. Anyone else is available.

southside rocks
10-01-2006, 08:55 AM

That'd leave the Sox without a left-handed starting pitcher.

Which would mean they'd have to trade for one, which would cost as much as or probably more than Mark.

Also, you trade a guy "because he had a rough year"? Interesting take on player development. Probably won't catch on with KW & Co., thank goodness. :tongue:

HerzogVon
10-01-2006, 09:14 AM
I don't give a rat's ass if no one agrees with this, but it's got to be Buehrle. He's been a great pitcher for us, but he's done. Freddy, Javy, JG - they've all got something left and could either help us or come back to haunt us. Jose is a worry, but I'm hoping that his problems are both physical and treatable.

Mark may be hard to unload, but it has to be done. Build around what's left and what's coming up.

HerzogVon
10-01-2006, 09:27 AM
To me I look to deal Garcia. His comments about the lack of offensive support and his constant drone about being traded in the off season are distracting, his trade value is good at this time, and he still shows ability to hold runners on base.

Again, I look to trade Garcia. I do not deal any of my starters just to deal. There must be return in any deal made.

Point taken about Freddie, but then Mark is oten quoted as wanting to play for St. Louis. Why not give him his wish and pair him with LaRussa? The two can mope together.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-01-2006, 09:37 AM
I think Contreras will be shopped the most. He could really be attractive to a team looking for a number two or three. He's the type of guy a team that feels it's a player or two away ( most anyone in the NL sans the Cubs and Pirates ) would put them over the top. They might " overpay " based on conventional market value. By the way, when was the last time the Sox received decent minor league pitching talent through a trade? Just curious.

jabrch
10-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Point taken about Freddie, but then Mark is oten quoted as wanting to play for St. Louis. Why not give him his wish and pair him with LaRussa? The two can mope together.

If Jocketty wants to make a move, I'd be all for it. If they have a Daric Barton type prospect I'd be all for it. I doubt Reyes is available. I'd consider a package centered around Adam Wainright and something else to bolster the bullpen a bit.

caulfield12
10-01-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure why everyone wants to trade Contreras or McCarthy. They're the two pitchers that have the highest likelihood of being "aces" on our team...

A Buehrle trade right now doesn't get us full value, neither does a Contreras trade.

I don't know why we want to sell our pitchers off when they're at low values. If we want to trade someone, it should be Garcia, Vazquez or possibly Garland. None of those guys are going to be more than a 3/4 starter. Garcia and Vazquez are both "hot" now, decide which one you want to keep and move on, unless a sensational deal for Garland comes along that gives us an impact player.

In other words, trading Mark, Jose or Brandon has a much higher probability of biting us in the butt.

gobears1987
10-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Keep Freddy. He has been awesome since he started using the splitter.

Dump Javy, he's just a ****ing bum.

Grzegorz
10-01-2006, 11:38 AM

If the deal is equitable then fine deal Buehrle. I've been brainwashed into believing that every team needs a quality lefty in the starting rotation. So, if by dealing a lefty we get a competent lefty to fit into the starting rotation in 2007 all the better.

PaulDrake
10-01-2006, 11:52 AM
It looks like it will be Freddy, but I would trade Contreras. I just have a bad feeling about him bouncing back and dominating like he did. He started 30 games for Sox this year, and they went 15-15. They're going to need better production. I know Vazquez was worse, but I think his arm is too good to give up on. I'm hoping he can stay away from the big innings next year, and be a 16-18 game winner behind a better bullpen--which is another topic. I agree with you. I also think, and this won't be popular, the league may have permanently caught up with Buerhle. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not as optimistic as most here concerning our starting pitching for next year.

Hitmen77
10-01-2006, 12:06 PM
By the way, when was the last time the Sox received decent minor league pitching talent through a trade? Just curious.

When we acquired Garland from the Cubs? :dunno:

0o0o0
10-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Keep Freddy. He has been awesome since he started using the splitter.

Dump Javy, he's just a ****ing bum.

Javy's been just as awesome. I say Contreras. I have a bad feeling that he'll never get back to form.

oeo
10-01-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure why everyone wants to trade Contreras or McCarthy. They're the two pitchers that have the highest likelihood of being "aces" on our team...

A Buehrle trade right now doesn't get us full value, neither does a Contreras trade.

I don't know why we want to sell our pitchers off when they're at low values. If we want to trade someone, it should be Garcia, Vazquez or possibly Garland. None of those guys are going to be more than a 3/4 starter. Garcia and Vazquez are both "hot" now, decide which one you want to keep and move on, unless a sensational deal for Garland comes along that gives us an impact player.

In other words, trading Mark, Jose or Brandon has a much higher probability of biting us in the butt.

I think whoever is traded will bite us in the butt. Six talented pitchers, any one of whom can have a great season next year.

This is why Kenny does the GM work and not us. I trust whatever route Kenny goes with.

TheOldRoman
10-01-2006, 12:29 PM
I think Contreras will be shopped the most. He could really be attractive to a team looking for a number two or three. He's the type of guy a team that feels it's a player or two away ( most anyone in the NL sans the Cubs and Pirates ) would put them over the top. They might " overpay " based on conventional market value. By the way, when was the last time the Sox received decent minor league pitching talent through a trade? Just curious.
:rolleyes:
Name the number of teams who have even one pitcher better than a healthy Contreras, let alone two.

Craig Grebeck
10-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Contreras has shown flashes of greatness, but he is aging rapidly and won't look attractive to every team with that pricetag.

caulfield12
10-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Contreras has shown flashes of greatness, but he is aging rapidly and won't look attractive to every team with that pricetag.

Ummm...he's aging rapidly? Because he was injured twice? That guy is a horse, and an athlete. Unless he's older than Roger Clemens, I am not worried about his physical conditioning after an offseason to recover and rehab.

He was the best starter in baseball the first 5 weeks of the season and the final 2-3 months of last season. One year can't make that much of a difference.

Craig Grebeck
10-01-2006, 12:50 PM
My point was that there are injury concerns. Teams will probably not give up equal value for him.

caulfield12
10-01-2006, 12:51 PM
When we acquired Garland from the Cubs? :dunno:

Also, Cotts as part of the Foulke deal. Jenks was a "free" minor leaguer, in essence. Marte for Guerrier.

Before that, probably Adkins and Felix Diaz. Hasn't been great.

Jjav829
10-01-2006, 12:55 PM
I agree with several others have said. It's all about what kind of value we can get for each pitcher. We don't have a Johan Santana or Roy Halladay here, so there's no one that is untouchable. And there really isn't a great difference between Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Garland and even Vazquez.

If I had to rank the order that I would trade them, I'd go:
1.) Vazquez
2.) Contreras
3.) Garcia
4.) Buehrle
5.) Garland

But it all comes down to what another team is willing to give us. If Vazquez only gets us a couple quality prospects, but Contreras or Garcia gets us a quality major leaguer, then KW should take the deal that gets us the major leaguer.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-01-2006, 01:01 PM
:rolleyes:
Name the number of teams who have even one pitcher better than a healthy Contreras, let alone two.

Contreras can be a number one starter, but would it be a smart move for a team to depend on him to be a number one? His age is a factor, and it affects his durability. He'll be at least 36 next year, but he's rumored to be closer to 40. If he comes through with number one stuff over a full season, he's a boon, but if he's hurt, and otherwise ineffective, he's bust. As for atrading partner, I don't know. The Reds might be interested, but I have no idea what they have to interest the Sox. They have Arroyo and Haraang, both have over 230 innings this year. Would Contreras be " The Guy " they believe they need to put them over the top? Would they overpay?

California Sox
10-01-2006, 01:19 PM
There are a few issues that weight this poll in my mind. 1) Garland and Contreras both have iron-clad no trade clauses the first year of their contracts. You could get out of them, but it would mean money, likely reducing the value you'd get in return for them. 2) Vazquez, who'd I'd dump in three seconds if we could get half what we gave up to get him, is on his fourth team in four years. I think he'd be hard to move unless we found the greater fool. 3) If we're looking to get rid of Buerhle, we could decline his option, but it looks llike we're not going to do that. Pretty hard to trade a guy that had an ERA of close to 7 for over half the year when he makes 10 mil.

That leads me to conclude it will either be Freddie or McCarthy, which is sad to me because they're both good. My choice is Vazquez, but you'd have to practically give him away.

ondafarm
10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
A couple of comments here:

1) Garland isn't going anywhere.

2) Buehrle isn't going anywhere either. A couple of whys: he is our only lefty. He is an innings horse. He is probably the smartest of the pitchers. He is also a great team leader.

3) Contreras. Very unlikely. Still a horse, can be the most unhittable of all the pitchers. Plus, It's really a stick in the eye to the Yankees to keep him.

4) McCarthy- he's cheap and a good starter. A mediocre reliever but he is not going anywhere.

5) It's Garcia or Vazquez. Who will get the best offer?

Frankfan4life
10-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I chose McCarthy. I just haven't seen the "spark" or whatever it is that makes a pitcher "lights out." I know he's young, but we've seen young pitchers come up from the minors (Liriano for instance) and have good stuff. I guess I just don't have the patience anymore to wait around for a pitcher to "develop." If he does become a starter, I hope he proves me wrong.

My next choice would be Contreas, strickly based upon age.

WSox597
10-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I have to go with "Sweaty" Garcia. He's had some decent games in his last few starts, and two very good games.
This doesn't make up for his attitude problems. The whole "I can't get up for the weaker teams" thing grates on me. His whining about perceived lack of support; which is absurd.

Maybe his last few starts will run up his value to another team. To me, it looks like Vazquez has a better arm. Cooper needs to kick him in the butt and straighten him out.

Sox-o-matic
10-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I voted for McCarthy just because I think everyone in this rotation will have much better years next year while McCarthy has never pitched a full season of innings.

If I were KW I'd actually think long and hard about starting Brandon out as the last man in the bullpen again and trading the worst of the five around the AllStar break. I really don't know how well he'd hold up after pitching 200+ innings.

If I had to trade one of the starters not named McCarthy, I'd rather it be Buehrle and his has nothing to do with his performance this year. I just like Vazquez's, Jose's, and Garcia's stuff a heck of a lot more. After struggling in the second half of '05 and coming back in the playoffs, and after struggling in the first two months this year and coming back to finish up strong, I think Garland showed that he is for real. I look for him to maybe even be better than Mark.

vegyrex
10-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Garcia or Vazquez.
Or both.

If I was forced to chose just one to get rid of I'd pick Vazquez. In spite of what he did his last few starts, I thought he was so underwhelming.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Garcia or Vazquez.
Or both.

If I was forced to chose just one to get rid of I'd pick Vazquez. In spite of what he did his last few starts, I thought he was so underwhelming.
And replace them with whom?:dunno:
I wouldn't view this situation from a position of weakness, but rather a position of strength.

Frater Perdurabo
10-01-2006, 07:39 PM
I voted for Contreras. But the real answer should be "whoever Texas will accept along with Uribe for Michael Young."
:D:

October26
10-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Javy's been just as awesome. I say Contreras. I have a bad feeling that he'll never get back to form.

Why do you have this feeling? Because of Jose's unknown age? I'm surprised to see Contreras second in the poll results right now. How quickly Sox fans forget what a year he had for us between Aug 05 and Aug 06. :(:

Maybe you are right, and maybe he is finished. If so, who would you like to see the Sox get back for him?

tstrike2000
10-01-2006, 09:50 PM
My concern about Contreras is health. This is besides no one knows exactly how old he is. He hasn't put together a full season of good pitching and/or health. He was great in the second half of '05 and the first few months of this year. However, because of injury and whatever, he lead the league in losses after the All-Star break. We could trade Javy or Garcia, but I don't know about counting on Jose for a solid full year next year. Yeah, he could be great for one half but hurt us the other half.

warehouse823
10-02-2006, 01:38 AM
I think its obvious we are going to trade freddy or vazquez....Most likely Freddy...
The team that will overpay and need a starting pitcher THE METS...with pedro out till atleast the all start game...they need another starter...So To me it would be a given we would finally do the Duaner Sanchez/Aaron Heilman to the sox for Freddy...

Then find a way to get either rollins/young or figgins or C. Crawford

JB98
10-02-2006, 02:33 AM
With the loss today, Vazquez went 0-4 this season against the Twins. He can't beat our chief rival. Yet another reason to shop him this offseason.

Thome25
10-02-2006, 10:35 AM
I know this sounds crazy but, what about trading Vazquez AND Garcia and signing Jason Schmidt in the off-season?

Thome25
10-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I think its obvious we are going to trade freddy or vazquez....Most likely Freddy...
The team that will overpay and need a starting pitcher THE METS...with pedro out till atleast the all start game...they need another starter...So To me it would be a given we would finally do the Duaner Sanchez/Aaron Heilman to the sox for Freddy...

Then find a way to get either rollins/young or figgins or C. Crawford

The Mets might be willing to take Vazquez. Minaya is familiar with him from Montreal.

TomBradley72
10-02-2006, 11:43 AM
I'd trade Buehrle. I thinkthe league has caught up with him, I don't think you want to commit to him for 2008....so trade him now.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-02-2006, 11:50 AM
The Mets might be willing to take Vazquez. Minaya is familiar with him from Montreal.

It would be great to find a taker for that bum, a career .500 pitcher who throws so many pitches to each batter he is hard-pressed to get to the sixth inning, taxing the pen every time he takes the mound. He's more interested in strikeouts than his era. He's always nibbling, nibbling, nibbling. I hate him.

alohafri
10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I trade "Big Game" Freddy. His opinion of what a big game is and mine differ. I consider a must win against Kansas City that will keep us in a tie for a wild card birth a "Big Game". He apparently considers a game where he gets his 18th win in a lost season a "Big Game."

That aside, he would probably get us the most in a trade.

salty99
10-02-2006, 12:26 PM
I definitely vote Contreras.

SABRSox
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Whomever lands us Michael Young.

INSox56
10-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Garcia or Contreras....but we're never getting rid of the old man, so Garcia it is. Vazquez had really damn good Aug and Sept stats....turnaround? Same with Garcia, but I hate seeing opposing runners embarass our club.

rdwj
10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
My my my - how times have changed! not a SINGLE vote for Garland.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Garcia or Contreras....but we're never getting rid of the old man, so Garcia it is. Vazquez had really damn good Aug and Sept stats....turnaround? Same with Garcia, but I hate seeing opposing runners embarass our club.

Vazquez was winless in his last 10 starts. He's a career .500 head case. Unfortunately, no one will probably take him off our hands.

23Ventura
10-02-2006, 11:12 PM
For me it's a coin flip between Freddy and Vazquez, although I did also consider Contreras because I have concerns with his health. I went with Freddy though, because he pitched so poorly against bad teams. I also think we could get more for Freddy in a trade because he has a reputation as a big game pitcher.

jongarlandlover
10-02-2006, 11:22 PM
My my my - how times have changed! not a SINGLE vote for Garland.

Haha. Thank God!

I would trade "Big Game" Freddy. Good riddance.

23Ventura
10-02-2006, 11:26 PM
I'd trade Buehrle. I thinkthe league has caught up with him, I don't think you want to commit to him for 2008....so trade him now.
You may be right, but I have a hard time believing that the league would take 6 years to figure a guy out.

Gregory Pratt
10-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Garland or Contreras would bring back the most. I'd be willing to trade ANY of our five, and yeah, that counts Jonny Hollywood. It counts Jose Contreras. It counts Mark Buehrle. It especially counts Javier Vazquez. If we can get rid of Javier, we should, without question.

buehrle4cy05
10-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Vazquez. He has the most value of any of the pitchers on there right now (except Garland) and would free up some money to sign some middle relief.

I'm not knocking Vazquez, but at this point, he has the most trade value.

Gregory Pratt
10-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Vazquez. He has the most value of any of the pitchers on there right now (except Garland) and would free up some money to sign some middle relief.

I'm not knocking Vazquez, but at this point, he has the most trade value.

Sorry, wrong answer. There's no way "Been around the block. Proven nutcase, who Ks twelve guys a game and gives up six runs, consistently!" has more value than Garland or Contreras or Buehrle, and probably not as much as Garcia, either. Vazquez is easily our weakest link in dealing.

INSox56
10-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Vazquez was winless in his last 10 starts. He's a career .500 head case. Unfortunately, no one will probably take him off our hands.

Yeah, that HUGE 3.62 ERA his last two months of the season is absolutely horrible...not to mention the crappy stat of being one of only 4 (I believe) pitchers in the history of the game to have 50+ Ks in a month without a win (Pedro Martinez being another)... :rolleyes:

GMAB

Thome25
10-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I noticed that most of the votes went toward Vazquez in the poll.

If the Sox were to trade Vazquez, they'd probably have to pick up part of his salary.

Unless it was to a large market team desperate for pitching like the NY Mets.

I'd hate to see them paying a guy who isn't even on the team. If they're going to pay him they might as well play him and see if he can work through his troubles.

Between the two, Garcia is the one that can bring them the most value in a trade. When he started pitching better toward the end of the season, all it did was show me that he's an even bigger head-case than I thought he was.

He obviously has some mental issues because he can't get pumped up for every game. He started getting his head back into it toward the end of the season against the bigger divison rivals.

Not to mention the fact that he can't hold a runner on base to save his life, he lost alot of velocity off his pitches, and his mouth also popped off ala Jaime Navarro a couple of different times in 2006.

I don't like Garcia or Vazquez. But, if we want to improve the team we'll trade Garcia. We're better off trying to see what McCarthy can do in the rotation and getting some players to fill some holes on this team at the same time.

I don't think Vazquez would get us very much in return.

palehozenychicty
10-03-2006, 11:27 AM
The Reds might be interested, but I have no idea what they have to interest the Sox. They have Arroyo and Haraang, both have over 230 innings this year. Would Contreras be " The Guy " they believe they need to put them over the top? Would they overpay?

They have a LF who is a grinder. His name is Ryan Freel. We could get him and a couple low level prospects. LF and leadoff problem solved, and cheaper than Crawford.

eurotrash35
10-03-2006, 12:09 PM
vazquez should be the last guy we try to dump. he won't bring much but he's a decent deal as a 5 starter for us.

EndemicSox
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Jose. Who knows hold he is, and he could probably get the Sox an elite prospect.

Ika
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
LF and leadoff problem solved, and cheaper than Crawford.

Exactly how expensive will Hot Carl be? If we could give up Vasquez and Pods, it would be wonderful. TB does tend to overvalue their players though, but I think it would be great to have Crawford in a White Sox uniform.

goon
10-10-2006, 04:00 AM
i think i was with a lot of people who had big questions about freddy this season, but like everyone else now, after i've seen that splitter, the fact that maybe he comes back with a better fastball and the fact that he is a "big game pitcher" makes me want to hold on to him.

i see vazquez as a guy having some great "stuff", much like jose, but it just feels like he always falls apart because a lot of his pitches stay in the strikes zone. if he could develop something that would drop out of the zone or just harness his slider to do that, he could be devesating.

i agree with caulfield, i believe, who said you can't deal jose, because i see those guy as "ace" material and it would be smart to incoporate a young guy who has done very well his major league starts into the rotation. mark is a huge question because he looked REALLY bad in the last half of the season. his one saving grace has been his reliability though, also the fact that he is a lefty is a major reason why the sox will hold onto him.

theoretically, the sox should get great starting pitching no matter whom they trade this offseason, but i think the ideal lineup would be:

1. Contreras
2. Buehrle
3. Garcia
4. Garland
5. McCarthy

or if you can get something huge for jon, it may be worth the risk.

Scottzilla
10-10-2006, 12:01 PM
i vote vasquez but think he'd be hard to unload. after him i'd say mccarthy i think hes unproven and you might get some value for his potential.

but you could trade garland because "his value will never be any higher"