PDA

View Full Version : Question about Darrin Jackson

Whitesox4ever
09-30-2006, 08:47 PM
I believe I read earlier in the season that his contract ends after the season.. Is this true and if so do you think he will be back or hopefully we can get Black Jack in the booth

Trav
09-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Didn't Jack do a couple games as a PBP guy? I would hate for a good PBP man to be stuck doing color. I'd rather him take Farmer's job as PBP man for the radio and give Farmer his old color job back. Of course this would go against the "pitcher vs batter" discussion that the Sox so desperatly needed.:rolleyes:

palehosepub
09-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I think Singleton has done a nice job and has really matured and devloped. He has a good sense of humor and is "his own man". I would be more than fine if Black Jack replaced Darrin.

ShoelessJoeS
09-30-2006, 09:12 PM
I think Singleton has done a nice job and has really matured and devloped. He has a good sense of humor and is "his own man". I would be more than fine if Black Jack replaced Darrin.Agreed. Singleton > DJ

Farmer is absolutely brutal at PBP and is the weak link in that duo, IMO.

Joosh
09-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Count me out of the "Lets Dump DJ" campaign.

He's really improved since he first stepped into the booth, and while I used to have problems with his style, I have no problems with him anymore.

And didn't Black Jack say he didn't want to do it full time when he stepped in for a few ST games last year?

shoelessshaun27!
09-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Lets not get DJ back at all cost, I love the Sox but half the time I'd get board listening to the announcers. Let's get Steve Stone, that would be interesting.

samram
09-30-2006, 11:15 PM
I think Singleton has done a nice job and has really matured and devloped. He has a good sense of humor and is "his own man". I would be more than fine if Black Jack replaced Darrin.

Singleton is awful and can barely describe what's happening let alone be interesting about it.

I've like what I've heard from Black Jack. He wouldn't be bad in the radio booth although I wonder if two guys as low key as Jack and Farmer would work well.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Both Jack McDowell and Robin Ventura have told the Sox brass that while they enjoyed their brief stints in the booth, family commitments prohibit them from doing a schedule that stretches from March until September (or October.)

They are out of the mix until their kids grow up.

If DJ leaves or isn't retained you can look for Ron Kittle, Tommy John and Steve Lyons to again be in the mix, just as they were before the Singleton shocker. While I'm thinking of it, toss Bill Melton's name in their as well.

Lip

QCIASOXFAN
10-01-2006, 01:56 AM
I Luuuuuuuuvvv D.J. and hope I can strap it down with him again next season.

Parrothead
10-01-2006, 09:11 AM
DJ and Singleton are realllllllyyyyy bad. Dump Hawk since he is too old and cranky. Also, when the Sox are losing he barely talks. Hire Stone, Kittle or McDowell or Tommy John or Steve Lyons. Put Farmer back into color guy. My listening life would be so much improved.

Brian26
10-01-2006, 10:19 AM
DJ and Singleton are realllllllyyyyy bad. Dump Hawk since he is too old and cranky. Also, when the Sox are losing he barely talks. Hire Stone, Kittle or McDowell or Tommy John or Steve Lyons. Put Farmer back into color guy. My listening life would be so much improved.

Ridiculous.

Let me ask you a serious question: when's the last time you've seen or heard any work by Tommy John?

35th&Shields
10-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Didn't Jack do a couple games as a PBP guy? I would hate for a good PBP man to be stuck doing color. I'd rather him take Farmer's job as PBP man for the radio and give Farmer his old color job back. Of course this would go against the "pitcher vs batter" discussion that the Sox so desperatly needed.:rolleyes:

Agreed. Singleton seems like a nice guy, but it just wasn't working out. I'd love to see Black Jack, arguably the best White Sox pitcher of the past couple decades.

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Lets not get DJ back at all cost, I love the Sox but half the time I'd get board listening to the announcers. Let's get Steve Stone, that would be interesting.
I've often thought of taping Steve Stone, so I could listen to him when I was having trouble sleeping.

Grzegorz
10-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Both Jack McDowell and Robin Ventura have told the Sox brass that while they enjoyed their brief stints in the booth, family commitments prohibit them from doing a schedule that stretches from March until September (or October.)

If DJ leaves or isn't retained you can look for Ron Kittle, Tommy John and Steve Lyons to again be in the mix, just as they were before the Singleton shocker. While I'm thinking of it, toss Bill Melton's name in their as well.

Lip

Maybe Jamie Quirk too?

PaulDrake
10-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Once again I feel old. Do you want to hear some real announcers? You can find some of the best right here.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/audioindex.htm

Why is the bar lowered to such an extent that some defend DJ, Farmer, or please spare me, Chris Singleton of all people? They are not good baseball announcers, although Farmer is tolerable as a color guy if paired with the right partner.

SOXSINCE'70
10-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I have heard waaaayyy too much DJ this season.Are the Sox
phasing Hawk Harrelson out?? Even when the team played poorly
in the second half,Hawk can make a game interesting,IMO.
And while Singleton and Farmer might be great to have as neighbors
or sit down and talk baseball with,they SUCK as a PBP team.Between
Singleton's "gosh,oh golly" delivery and Ramblin' Farmio's monotone,
they put me to sleep faster than any anisthetic could.

Once again,this is just my opinion.

samram
10-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I've often thought of taping Steve Stone, so I could listen to him when I was having trouble sleeping.

Gotta disagree with you on that one. That guy brings a lot to the broadcast. That would be killer for the Sox to land him for either TV or radio.

Brian26
10-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Once again I feel old. Do you want to hear some real announcers? You can find some of the best right here.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/audioindex.htm

Why is the bar lowered to such an extent that some defend DJ, Farmer, or please spare me, Chris Singleton of all people? They are not good baseball announcers, although Farmer is tolerable as a color guy if paired with the right partner.

Singleton is terrible, I'm not going to even try to defend him. He's a nice guy and has improved slightly, but he's still awful.

My problem is with people who think Ron Kittle is going to do a better job than DJ in the booth. That's just ridiculous.

samram
10-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Ridiculous.

Let me ask you a serious question: when's the last time you've seen or heard any work by Tommy John?

I always heard he did color for the Charlotte Knights- well, I've been here for three years and I've never heard him. The radio broadcast is by one guy who is really bad. Maybe Tommy left before I got here.

MarySwiss
10-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Gotta disagree with you on that one. That guy brings a lot to the broadcast. That would be killer for the Sox to land him for either TV or radio.
Well, you're not alone; my husband just told me I was nuts (not the first time!) and that Steve Stone would be great.

I am not denying he is knowledgeable; I just find him boring to listen to. The man never raises or lowers his voice. I honestly don't think he'd get excited if his hair caught fire.

0o0o0
10-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Agreed. Singleton seems like a nice guy, but it just wasn't working out.

:rolleyes: It's been ONE year.

Brian26
10-01-2006, 10:52 AM
:rolleyes: It's been ONE year.

Is on-the-job training over the course of several years supposed to be a norm for major league baseball announcers?

0o0o0
10-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Is on-the-job training over the course of several years supposed to be a norm for major league baseball announcers?

I'm not saying they should have hired someone with zero experience. My point is simply that he will only get better.

samram
10-01-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm not saying they should have hired someone with zero experience. My point is simply that he will only get better.

Based on what? His calls are still very choppy and I always get the feeling that the play is well over before he gets the call out because he can't describe things as they're happening.

0o0o0
10-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Based on what? His calls are still very choppy and I always get the feeling that the play is well over before he gets the call out because he can't describe things as they're happening.

Based on logic.

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I would love to see Dave Wills come back to the Sox

samram
10-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Based on logic.

Logically he should have improved during the season, but he didn't.

0o0o0
10-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Logically he should have improved during the season, but he didn't.

If you compare his first few games to now, there's vast improvement. I know he still has a lot to work on, but I just think it's crazy to say after one year that he's done, he'll never get any better.

Parrothead
10-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Ridiculous.

This year. How about you?

Lip Man 1
10-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Dave signed a new two year contract extension with the Devil Rays so he is out of the mix completely.

Regarding Ron Kittle his vocal quality and 'style' is just as choppy as Singleton and or DJ HOWEVER he has a real sense of timing with his stories many of which are really funny. He would certainly be an improvement.

And Tommy John has one of the finest voices I've heard among former players. He knows the game inside and out as a former pitcher, broadcaster and pitching coach and manager. He would be a terrific hire but remember the station won't be able to 'low ball' him like Singleton and get away with it. He has a construction business in Terre Haute, Indiana and is very wealthy. They would have to make it financially sound for him to take a position.

Lip

Brian26
10-01-2006, 11:57 AM
This year. How about you?

Where did you hear Tommy John broadcast a baseball game so that you could impartially state that he should automatically be handed Darrin Jackson's job?

To answer your question, I think I heard some clips of Tommy John on This Week in Baseball in the early 90's. Certainlly not familiar enough with his work, living in Chicago, to say he's better than DJ.

Jjav829
10-01-2006, 11:59 AM
I think DJ has developed into a decent announcer. If he is replaced, I don't want another announcer with no experience brought in just because people will recognize his name. Bring in an actual experienced announcer who isn't going to be learning on the job.

Craig Grebeck
10-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't mind DJ, it's Hawk that ruins the experience for me.

digdagdug23
10-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I think DJ has developed into a decent announcer. If he is replaced, I don't want another announcer with no experience brought in just because people recognize his name. Bring in an actual experienced announcer who isn't going to be learning on the job.

Yeah, yeah. I wouldn't be broken-hearted if DJ didn't come back, but would be fine with him staying, too. But if he goes, bring in someone that knows what they are doing, please.

HotelWhiteSox
10-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Singleton has dramatically improved, he is solid now. No we don't like on the job training and didn't when it was announced, but you can thank the cheap bastards and Mitch Rosen at the Score for that. A bigger mistake than hiring Singleton was just handing PBP to Farmer IMO

BainesHOF
10-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I think Singleton has improved and would like him to stay. He does need to stop worrying about pleasing Farmer, as if that should ever be a goal, and concentrate more on the game.

At this point, I'm also all for leaving D.J. in the TV booth.

I thought it was odd though that D.J. wasn't there for the World Series rally/parade.

slavko
10-01-2006, 01:01 PM
[quote=BainesHOF;1370011]I think Singleton has improved and would like him to stay. He does need to stop worrying about pleasing Farmer, as if that should ever be a goal, and concentrate more on the game.

I thought it was odd though

Add to that Hawk not being there for the first part of the playoff run and you have a mystery it would take Columbo to solve.

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I did some research on google and found this about DJ

TV broadcaster Darrin Jackson agreed to a four-year contract extension through the 2006 season.

So it looks like he might be gone after this season

SOXandILLINI
10-01-2006, 02:13 PM
it absolutely amazes me that anyone thinks dj, chris, or farmio, are remotely palatable... they stink. and the only thing that makes hawk tolerable at this point is that he can be entertaining. dj, may be the least knowledgable ex athlete i have ever heard.

SOXandILLINI
10-01-2006, 02:19 PM
funny... just watching the game, and moron dj calls a line drive double down the left field line by mauer.. a line drive down the right field line... he's terrible.

BeeBeeRichard
10-01-2006, 02:41 PM
dj, may be the least knowledgable ex athlete i have ever heard.

I disagree. With his experience in Japan, he provides unparalleled knowledge of the shoot-o. According to DJ, half of the pitchers in the American League throw it now!

soxfan80
10-01-2006, 03:01 PM
[quote=BainesHOF;1370011]I think Singleton has improved and would like him to stay. He does need to stop worrying about pleasing Farmer, as if that should ever be a goal, and concentrate more on the game.

I thought it was odd though

Add to that Hawk not being there for the first part of the playoff run and you have a mystery it would take Columbo to solve.Hawk had other business affairs he had to attend to. he said this at soxfest.

SOXandILLINI
10-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I disagree. With his experience in Japan, he provides unparalleled knowledge of the shoot-o. According to DJ, half of the pitchers in the American League throw it now!

i'm praying this is teal..:smile:

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Lets bring back Wimpy.

I have always like his style

SouthSide_HitMen
10-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Singleton is awful and can barely describe what's happening let alone be interesting about it.

I agree. The TV guys are brutal but I mute them if I watch the game on TV (with the Radio guys). It would be great if the White Sox would get a professional PBP radio guy but that ship has sailed with the five year contracts given to Farmer and Singleton before the 2006 season (letting Dave Wills slip away next season).

I wish the White Sox were still playing but I can celebrate the fact that Singleton is leaving on the Midnight Train to Georgia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5zrKunrQn0) (woo hoo).

I'd rather live in his world than live without him in mine. :redneck

:slowswing

He kept dreamin' that someday he'd be a star (a superstar but he didn't get far)
But he sho' found out the hard way that dreams don't always come true
So he's pawned all his hopes (woo hoo hoo hoo)
and he even sold his own car (woo hoo hoo hoo)
Bought a one-way ticket back to the life he once knew

PaulDrake
10-01-2006, 05:08 PM
it absolutely amazes me that anyone thinks dj, chris, or farmio, are remotely palatable... they stink. and the only thing that makes hawk tolerable at this point is that he can be entertaining. dj, may be the least knowledgable ex athlete i have ever heard. It amazes me too. I'm sitting here reading some of these responses and I want to go bang my head against the wall.

soxinem1
10-01-2006, 08:41 PM

Lip

Kittle would be great, but he does not like Hawk and has not for over 20 years. I think that would be a problem.

The Sox need to get Dave Wills back for radio, dump Singleton, and put Farmer back at color.

The thing that gets me the most about Singleton is his sounding excited at ball/strike calls, fly ball outs, and opposing team HR's.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Wills got a new deal two additional years in Tampa.

Lip

October26
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Lip

Sorry to hear that news. I thought Dave was terrific doing play by play on the occassions when Rooney was working for Fox and would go on assignment. I was hoping he'd come back and get paired up with Farmer on radio. Oh well.

Regarding Darrin, I've heard him paired with Fox on the Saturday games and he's actually pretty good. I think the problem with Darrin is that he could never be the "homer" that Paciorek was. And we all want our announcers to cheer for our team and be homers. I think Darrin might be happier working on national broadcasts. Just my humble opinion.

Norberto7
10-01-2006, 10:50 PM
I think we can all agree that each and all of the four announcers are not your typical professional PBP/color guys. They're not by-the-book, close to the vest, corporate-type announcers. It's almost more of an amateur, fan-based broadcast type of feel. Personally, I find it enjoyable to listen to, but I can see where some people would not.

In summary, I like all four of them.

0o0o0
10-02-2006, 09:10 AM
it absolutely amazes me that anyone thinks dj, chris, or farmio, are remotely palatable... they stink. and the only thing that makes hawk tolerable at this point is that he can be entertaining. dj, may be the least knowledgable ex athlete i have ever heard.

Why do you have insanely high standards for broadcasters? How do you ever manage to watch or listen to a game?

soxrme
10-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Agreed. Singleton > DJ

Farmer is not good at PBP and feels he must talk all the time even interupting Singleton in every thought he has. I would like Black Jack and Darrin with Hawk retiring and taking Farmer with him

tacosalbarojas
10-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Where did you hear Tommy John broadcast a baseball game so that you could impartially state that he should automatically be handed Darrin Jackson's job?

To answer your question, I think I heard some clips of Tommy John on This Week in Baseball in the early 90's. Certainlly not familiar enough with his work, living in Chicago, to say he's better than DJ.Tommy John would be an upgrade for one very simple reason...Hawk would respect him light years more than he does DJ. I guarantee you the positive banter and discussions in the booth would increase exponentially. It would be listenability like we haven't heard from the TV side of things since last century.

nasox
10-02-2006, 01:16 PM

He uses future tense. Instead of saying, for example, "There's a hotshot to third, Crede dives to his right, gloves and throws out Punto. Two outs."

Instead, he says, "[pause, while distinct crack of bat is heard in the background] Punto smokes a ball to Crede. Crede will throw him out and there will be two outs."

DO NOT USE THE ****ING FUTURE TENSE!

Tell me things as they are happening, not as they will happen, or as they have happened. :rolleyes:

nasox
10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Also, can we look past ex players for actual broadcasters to call the games? Ex Players usually are not as good as trained broadcasters (Rooney, etc.).

October26
10-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Also, can we look past ex players for actual broadcasters to call the games? Ex Players usually are not as good as trained broadcasters (Rooney, etc.).

Excellent point. Your post made me long for the "long gone" days of John Rooney. I loved the way he called White sox games (18 years of passion culminating in a glorious 2005 season) and even when he was on the national radio telecasts he was wonderful.

Before there were message boards where everyone could keep in touch in the off season, the voice of the baseball announcer was the last memory you had from October (end of season) to March (Spring Training).

Frontman
10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
If you compare his first few games to now, there's vast improvement. I know he still has a lot to work on, but I just think it's crazy to say after one year that he's done, he'll never get any better.

Agreed. Singy was God awful during pre-season and got slowly better over the year. I just wish Farmio would help him out when he's doing PBP. Ed ditches him in the booth. I have a feeling him and Hawk leave DJ and Chris to fend for themselves and go get a few drinks and maybe something to eat.......

:wink:

Front

Dan the Man
10-08-2006, 07:10 PM

Lip

Hey Lip, is it possible to trade Javier Vazquez, Pods, and Freddy Garcia to Tampa for Carl Crawford and Dave Wills?:tongue:

wdelaney72
10-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Absolutely. After a rough start, Singleton made DRAMATIC improvement over the season. Given that Farmer is his PBP guy, this is a huge statement. Singleton is not the problem in that equation.

I've often thought of taping Steve Stone, so I could listen to him when I was having trouble sleeping. While everyone's entitled to their opinion, I'll have to respectfully disagree. I think Stone is as arrogant and full of himself as anyone I've ever heard and I don't like him in his current situation where he takes listener calls, but in the booth he's as good as it gets.