PDA

View Full Version : Sox Bench Coach 07

Whitesox4ever
09-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Any predictions on who might be the next Sox bench coach next year..

All signs looks like Rock Raines wont be next year.. I'm hoping that the next bench coach will be Carlton Fisk

cbotnyse
09-30-2006, 03:33 PM

All signs looks like Rock Raines wont be next year.. I'm hoping that the next bench coach will be Carlton Fiskthats some very wishful thinking. It'd be pretty cool though.

caulfield12
09-30-2006, 03:35 PM

All signs looks like Rock Raines wont be next year.. I'm hoping that the next bench coach will be Carlton Fisk

I don't think Fisk would be interested. You never know, the relationship is thawing, but I would be less shocked if LaRussa was the bench coach.

Sox-o-matic
09-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I have no idea why the Sox seem so intent on dumping Rock. I'd rather have him stay and go back to being our 1B coach with Sandy Alomar becoming our bench coach, but who knows.

esbrechtel
09-30-2006, 03:51 PM
I have no idea why the Sox seem so intent on dumping Rock. I'd rather have him stay and go back to being our 1B coach with Sandy Alomar becoming our bench coach, but who knows.

i bet sandy is our bench coach next year although i heard he wants to play again.....

TheOldRoman
09-30-2006, 03:51 PM
He wants to manage somewhere, which is why he didn't sign an extention.
I believe Robin Ventura will be a coach eventually with the Sox.
I hope that the hitting coach position opens up this offseason, too.

Sox-o-matic
09-30-2006, 03:59 PM
He wants to manage somewhere, which is why he didn't sign an extention.
I believe Robin Ventura will be a coach eventually with the Sox.
I hope that the hitting coach position opens up this offseason, too.

That's what I thought at first but he's said that he wants to remain part of Ozzie's staff next year.

Link: (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060921&content_id=1675180&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

From that article it sounds more like Ozzie & co. are trying to get rid if him. Why? At least when Tim was at 1B the Sox were running with success.

Sox-o-matic
09-30-2006, 04:00 PM
i bet sandy is our bench coach next year although i heard he wants to play again.....

He always wants to play again. I was ready for him to join the coaching staff after his last stint here.

Myrtle72
09-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I can't stand Sandy as a player, but I don't think I'd mind him as a bench coach. He seems like an alright guy.

I would love Fisk as our bench coach... but I think the odds of that happening are about the same as the Sox getting Ichiro in 2007.

DickAllen72
09-30-2006, 04:05 PM

Yeah. I don't know what happened with Raines and the Sox. He recently said he liked being a first base coach much more than a bench coach, but Ozzie wanted Baines at 1B, I guess. He also said he would like to remain on the Sox staff, but it appears the feeling isn't mutual.

I don't see what Baines brings at all as a coach, except that he's Ozzie's buddy. I'd much rather see Raines stay than Baines.

Who is officially the Sox outfield coach, anyway? The Sox had terrible fundamental outfield play this season.

RetireWoodys28
09-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Razor Shines!

I used to watch him play for the Indianapolis Indians when I was in college. I was really excited when the Sox gave him a chance to manage in the minors, and now he could help ease the transition a bit if the Sox intend to keep one or more of the Owens/Fields/Sweeney crowd on their roster.
From that article it sounds more like Ozzie & co. are trying to get rid if him. Why? At least when Tim was at 1B the Sox were running with success.
Ideally I'd like to see Rock at 1st, Baines at 3rd, and Cora buried in the minor league system somewhere :whiner:

Sox-o-matic
09-30-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't see what Baines brings at all as a coach, except that he's Ozzie's buddy. I'd much rather see Raines stay than Baines.

Nothing against Harold, but I agree 100%.

Baines hasn't done anything with our baserunning this year. When he was a bench coach we won the WS, but how much input did Harold actually have?

It's been well documented that he's a quiet guy. Maybe that's why Ozzie likes him so much? I know he hates it when the fans and media second-guess him, so I can't imagine how pissed he'd be if his own bench coach did.

Sox-o-matic
09-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Razor Shines!

I used to watch him play for the Indianapolis Indians when I was in college. I was really excited when the Sox gave him a chance to manage in the minors, and now he could help ease the transition a bit if the Sox intend to keep one or more of the Owens/Fields/Sweeney crowd on their roster.

Ideally I'd like to see Rock at 1st, Baines at 3rd, and Cora buried in the minor league system somewhere :whiner:

Razor is an interesting option, but if he's as good as everyone says he is I'd rather see him in AAA bringing up the next generation of Sox players the right way.

DeadMoney
09-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Razor is an interesting option, but if he's as good as everyone says he is I'd rather see him in AAA bringing up the next generation of Sox players the right way.

The thing is, if they keep him in AAA, the odds of him moving on to a Major League job is in his very near future. If he were to be moved to the Majors as the Sox bench coach, I think it'd take him a little longer to get that job. And based on what I've heard, I want him to continue to be in the Sox organization.

My guess on the original question: Sandy

Domeshot17
09-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Heres an Idea, why dont we can our wendall kim wannabe 3rd base coach, and put Rock there. I am praying some fool hires Joey to be a manager somewhere, anywhere, just so he doesnt cost us runs anymore. My guess is Sandy and Robbie Alomar come coach, its all just Ozzies friends. I would love to see Ventura come take over as hitting coach.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Rock at 1st, Harold at 3rd, Sandy as Bench coach... Joey with the Marlins?

flo-B-flo
09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Joe Nossek or Razor Shines

guillen4life13
09-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Joe Nossek or Razor Shines

Joe's old and retired because of desire, not need, IIRC. There's no incentive for him to come back.

As for hitting coach, I'm starting to agree more, but I'm not going to discount Greg get. If they end up replacing Walker, I'd think about Harold taking that position (after all, Harold was excellent). It depends on his communication skills.

Funny enough, I think that Robbie and Sandy on the coaching staff would be good. Robbie was an excellent hitter and an excellent baserunner, not to mention being possibly the best defensive MLB 2B ever.

It all comes down to communication and patience.

Brian26
09-30-2006, 08:37 PM
That's what I thought at first but he's said that he wants to remain part of Ozzie's staff next year.

Link: (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060921&content_id=1675180&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Exactly. I was also under the assumption that Raines wanted to manage, but I saw a couple of stories in the paper this week that point towards Raines wanting to stay with the Sox and coach firstbase.

So, on the outside looking it, it appears that, for some reason, the Sox are pushing Raines out. If I had to guess, Baines will be back at first next year, and Sandy will be the bench coach. There's no way Sandy comes back as the backup catcher this year. The Sox are looking at Blanco, according to the papers. Chris Stewart is an option too.

Walker will remain the hitting coach. Fisk was a great player, but that doesn't translate to being a good coach.

Whitesox4ever
09-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Maybe Jeff Torborg will be the bench coach he is close friends with Ozzie

Sox Fan 35
09-30-2006, 10:10 PM
I would love to see Ventura back in a Sox uniform.

Why did they switch Baines and Raines?

southwstchi4life
09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I vote pudge

mwc44
09-30-2006, 10:41 PM
... and Cora buried in the minor league system somewhere :whiner:

Heres an Idea, why dont we can our wendall kim wannabe 3rd base coach, and put Rock there. I am praying some fool hires Joey to be a manager somewhere, anywhere, just so he doesnt cost us runs anymore...

... Joey with the Marlins?

That's three strikes on Cora... and take another one from me for good measure. "Grab some bench, Joey"... and not on ours... don't let the door hit you in the hiney on your way out!

Domeshot17
09-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I wouldnt even mind Cora on the bench coaching with Ozzie, I hear the players rave about how prepared he is with the opposing teams lineup and pitching staff, his head is always in the game. But he is a moron of a 3rd base coach. That is just not the place to utilize his skills.

Huisj
09-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Nothing against Harold, but I agree 100%.

Baines hasn't done anything with our baserunning this year. When he was a bench coach we won the WS, but how much input did Harold actually have?

It's been well documented that he's a quiet guy. Maybe that's why Ozzie likes him so much? I know he hates it when the fans and media second-guess him, so I can't imagine how pissed he'd be if his own bench coach did.

Didn't Baines recommend to Guillen that Blum should pinch hit in game 3 last year when he hit the homer? I thought I heard that it was Baines who noticed his stroke in BP that day and talked Guillen into using him to hit instead of someone else. Anyone else hear this? If it's true, that at least one big thing he contributed.

Not sure how Baines would do as a hitting coach. He was great, yes, but he had such a unique style with that leg lift timing thing.

shoelessshaun27!
09-30-2006, 11:51 PM

CARLTON! That would be amzing but I can never see him ever working for the Sox again.

DickAllen72
10-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Didn't Baines recommend to Guillen that Blum should pinch hit in game 3 last year when he hit the homer? I thought I heard that it was Baines who noticed his stroke in BP that day and talked Guillen into using him to hit instead of someone else. Anyone else hear this? If it's true, that at least one big thing he contributed.

I remember it being one of Ozzie's sons that did that.

Frontman
10-01-2006, 12:43 AM
CARLTON! That would be amzing but I can never see him ever working for the Sox again.

Considering they wouldn't let him into the lockerroom during the 2005 post season run, no I would not hold my breath waiting for Pudge coaching.

I would love to see Ventura back on the south side. Just don't make him 1st or 3rd base coach. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him telling a player to slide or how to handle getting beaned by a pitch.........

:nolanventura

Oh come on; I was just having a bit of fun! Come to think of it, he'd probably make an excellent base coach. "Do as I say, not as I did, fellas."

Front

my5thbench
10-01-2006, 09:21 AM
I'd bdet on Sandy Alomar Jr

shoelessshaun27!
10-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Does it really matter whose our bench coach?

Frontman
10-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Does it really matter whose our bench coach?

Oh it completely matters. That way we have someone to complain about when things aren't going right......:wink:

Whitesox4ever
10-01-2006, 05:25 PM
It looks like Cora might be the bench coach next year from this Ozzie quote

"I'll take a look at the free agents, what we want, sit with [Cora] and [pitching coach Don Cooper] to see what we need," Guillen said. "When the meetings come up [in November], we'll decide what kind of ballclub we're going to have.

ondafarm
10-01-2006, 05:27 PM
I'd bet on Sandy Alomar Jr

Ditto.

soxchick20
10-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Dusty Baker

:rolleyes:

Raines should stay but, if not, i'm going with Alomar Jr.

Frontman
10-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Dusty Baker

:rolleyes:

Raines should stay but, if not, i'm going with Alomar Jr.

This belongs in the roadhouse.......dude. :wink: