PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox vs. D-Backs game thread 3-1-02

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 01:51 PM
West, if your reading this please sticky this thread. That way we can have one thread for game comments and not 4 or 5 posts of "Homer by Lofton."

Today's pitchers are Jon Garland and Curt Schilling for those who didn't know.

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
West, if your reading this please sticky this thread. That way we can have one thread for game comments and not 4 or 5 posts of "Homer by Lofton."

Today's pitchers are Jon Garland and Curt Schilling for those who didn't know. I will do anything to get rid of the No Message - WoooHooo posts from last year (no offense Cali and Nuke). :smile:

I would hope once the regular season starts the chat room will get a lot of use, too. :cool:

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I will do anything to get rid of the No Message - WoooHooo posts from last year (no offense Cali and Nuke). :smile:

I would hope once the regular season starts the chat room will get a lot of use, too. :cool:

Ah, yes. Who doesn't love the "Durham walks....N/M" threads. :smile:

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 02:00 PM

Ah, yes. Who doesn't love the "Durham walks....N/M" threads. :smile: LOL!! No lie! Here are the NEW rules. If I see any "classic" posts outside of this thread, I will merge them into this thread if I have time. Otherwise, I'll delete them. Please use the *Official* thread for each game. :cool:

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 02:11 PM
LOL!! No lie! Here are the NEW rules. If I see any "classic" posts outside of this thread, I will merge them into this thread if I have time. Otherwise, I'll delete them. Please use the *Official* thread for each game. :cool:

Good call, I can't start all the official game threads though. :(:

Iwritecode
03-01-2002, 02:16 PM

What, you think you have to work or something?

JK :smile:

I'm sure with the amount of people here, someone will be able to start an official thread for each game. Even if it is a different person each day.

Hey West, is it possible for you to rig something up to automatically make and stick a post at a specific time? Say sometime in the morning? That way we would always have an official thread? Just a thought...

FarmerAndy
03-01-2002, 02:18 PM
I heard Durham is batting in the 3 spot. First spring game and they're already encouraging him to swing for the fences.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I heard Durham is batting in the 3 spot. First spring game and they're already encouraging him to swing for the fences.

It's only because Frank's out.

I wonder who they have batting second?

OfficerKarkovice
03-01-2002, 03:13 PM
Damn ESPN Radio 1000...apparently you can't get it online so I haev to listen to the D-Backs broadcast...anyone know where I can get Farmer and Rooney online? But hey at least I can listen to the game.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 03:20 PM
Lofton, Harris, and Valentin went down in order in the Top of the 1st.

:ray
I'm still the man.

duke of dorwood
03-01-2002, 03:36 PM
:hitless

I'm in mid-season form

Chisox_cali
03-01-2002, 03:39 PM
Any one know the line-up for the Sox?

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Any one know the line-up for the Sox?

Lofton, Harris, and Valentin are the top of the order.
Clayton is batting 8th with pitcher hitting 9th.
Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, and Johnson are the rest.

Sorry for not knowing the exact order.

longshot7
03-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Lofton
Harris
Valentin
Ordonez
Konerko
Lee
Clayton
Johnson
pitcher

They just took Garland out and sent Liefer in to pinch hit.

Iwritecode
03-01-2002, 03:59 PM

Lofton, Harris, and Valentin are the top of the order.
Clayton is batting 8th with pitcher hitting 9th.
Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, and Johnson are the rest.

Sorry for not knowing the exact order.

I checked out the troll board and this is it as far as I can tell:

CF - Lofton
2B - Harris
3B - Jose
RF - Maggs
1B - Paulie
LF - Lee
SS - Choice
C - MJ
Pitcher

I may have the 7 and 8 spots backwards...

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Thanks longshot.

1-0 Arizona, Glover is pitching.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 04:02 PM
3-0 Arizona, all three runs allowed by Glover.

longshot7
03-01-2002, 04:11 PM
WAY TO GO JOSE!!!!

line shot.

jklm
03-01-2002, 04:12 PM
Two run homer by Jose. Down 2-3

Jerry_Manuel
3-2, Homer by Valentin scoring Wee Willy.

HawkDJ
3-3 Konerko home run.

edit: wow this is crazy, no point in posting updates if 2 other people are going to. lol.

Soxboyrob
03-01-2002, 04:13 PM
Update....Sox are down 3-2. Valentin just hit a 2 run lineshot homer that was barely fair. Glover gave up 3 runs in the 3rd on various hits, capped by a 2-run double off the top of the centerfield fence. Farmer said Glover was leaving his curve up.

jklm
03-01-2002, 04:14 PM
Konerko solo shot

Tied game

Soxboyrob
Konerko ties it w/ a solo dinger to centerfield.

longshot7
Paulie goes yard as well!

Tie game!

Do I hear another?

Foulke You
03-01-2002, 04:17 PM
It's great to hear Farmer and Rooney again. Too bad it's like 15 degrees here in Chicago otherwise I'd really be getting that Spring Fever.

Paulie & Manos deliver! Seems they haven't missed a beat.
Osuna warming up. I'm interested to see how he throws. He can be a wild card in the bullpen this year.

NUCatsFan
03-01-2002, 04:19 PM
Aside from the 3 runs, how did Glover "look"? (Yes, I know this is radio, but you can still get a feeling for how he was pitching if the announcers are any good)

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 04:25 PM
Is something up with the ESPN web broadcast? I can only get the AZ broadcast.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan
Aside from the 3 runs, how did Glover "look"? (Yes, I know this is radio, but you can still get a feeling for how he was pitching if the announcers are any good)

He's got 3 K's. Farmer was saying that he doesn't have his good stuff yet.

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 04:30 PM
Rough inning for M. Johnson, he's out now. Olivo in. So's Ginter.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 04:33 PM
4-3 Arizona, Ginter gets the ground ball that he needed to get out of the inning and Harris didn't see it.

Dadawg_77
03-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Rough inning for M. Johnson, he's out now. Olivo in. So's Ginter.

What did Mark do?

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Olivo with the double, nice. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
What did Mark do?

Pass ball, and a pop up that neither Jose or Mark saw.

longshot7
03-01-2002, 04:36 PM
Is something up with the ESPN web broadcast? I can only get the AZ broadcast.

Well, I don't know if it's the same reason as last season, but they weren't broadcast then because of problems 1000's parent company (clearchannel?) had with copyright issues and streaming media, so they suspended all broadcasts. I don't know if this is still the case, but I'll bet it is.

A bonehead move, to be sure.

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

Well, I don't know if it's the same reason as last season, but they weren't broadcast then because of problems 1000's parent company (clearchannel?) had with copyright issues and streaming media, so they suspended all broadcasts. I don't know if this is still the case, but I'll bet it is.

A bonehead move, to be sure.

I remember that from last season - is that problem still going on? Jeez, it's been a year - you'd think they'd have that wrapped up by now.

longshot7
03-01-2002, 04:43 PM
They're paranoid - what, we're gonna burn the games onto CD and sell them on the black market?

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
They're paranoid - what, we're gonna burn the games onto CD and sell them on the black market?

LOL!

JoeBatters
03-01-2002, 04:53 PM
GRAND SLAMMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!! Crap !

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 04:54 PM
Don't worry, Masaoka's just lulling them into a false sense of security, the way Biddle did last spring...

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 05:01 PM
Ordonez hits a homer.

duke of dorwood
03-01-2002, 05:02 PM
Lots of home runs, but like last year, no real string of hits that lead to more runs, and make pitchers work.

Huisj
03-01-2002, 05:14 PM
dellaero, the suposed super fielding ss, just came in and made an error on the first ball hit to him? geez

malone's pitching now i think

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
dellaero, the suposed super fielding ss, just came in and made an error on the first ball hit to him? geez

malone's pitching now i think

Wasn't it Graffanino who dropped the ball at first?

duke of dorwood
03-01-2002, 05:19 PM
:farmer

Not impressed with Harris . "He has the arm of a second baseman" This when he was in center

CLR01
03-01-2002, 05:23 PM

I could always post one when i do the PTC updates and reminders.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 05:47 PM
Borchard with a double, that's nice to see.

Foulke You
03-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Tomas Jaquez isn't exactly dazzling anyone. 2 powerful homers given up in 1 inning. Durazo blasted one on the street. Not good.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 05:58 PM
13-4

It's going to be another long year. :(:

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 05:59 PM
13-4

LOL!! It's the first Spring Training game, relax...

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 06:00 PM
13-4

It's going to be another long year. :(: Yep, this season is over.

Foulke You
03-01-2002, 06:00 PM
13-4

C'mon Jerry! It's only the 1st game of ST. I don't think Tomas Jacquez, Dellaro, and others will be on the roster when the season starts. Have faith.

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 06:01 PM
Yep, this season is over.

Good thing we didn't buy our A's tickets yet, eh West?

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 06:02 PM

Good thing we didn't buy our A's tickets yet, eh West? Yeah, that would have been a waste.

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 06:08 PM
Yeah, that would have been a waste.

LOL!!!

Jerry, just remember the Spring Training Mantra - the Games Don't Mean a Thing. There is absolutely no correlation between regular-season and Spring Training performance. the games are interesting, but unless you're scouting or officially evaluating talent, they're really unimportant.

HawkDJ
03-01-2002, 06:09 PM
13-4

Come on man, you should know not to base anything on spring training. Keep in mind we are playing the world champions and probably the best pitching staff. We are playing alot more prospects than them and the prospects are the ones not doing any good.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 06:13 PM
LOL!! It's the first Spring Training game, relax...

I'm relaxed. I knew they were going to be bad this year.

I know it's early, but it doesn't change my opinion.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 06:15 PM
Yep, this season is over.

It's not over, it's just going to be long.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
C'mon Jerry! It's only the 1st game of ST. I don't think Tomas Jacquez, Dellaro, and others will be on the roster when the season starts. Have faith.

I know, but I find things are more fun to go into the season expecting the worst.

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 06:30 PM

I know, but I find things are more fun to go into the season expecting the worst.

Well, doing that certainly made the 2000 that much better.

Although I was excited about the Sox going into 2000. They had had a great September in 1999, and had a lot of players (like Ordonez and Foulke) that were just breaking through. They won about 10 games more than I thought they would, but I did have a good feeling about that club.

Last year, I had not such a good feeling. The 2000 playoffs was a big letdown, and I thought that the Sox made a lot of moves that didn't really address their most pressing needs. Again, the Sox did worse than I thought they would (I still thought they would win the division) but I still wasn't happy with the 2001 Sox coming out of Spring Training.

This year, I think the Sox will be good. Not great, mind you, they are an "ace" short of that, but the Sox will win more games than they did last year. And with this division, that should be enough to get into the playoffs, and as the 2000 Yankees proved, anything is possible in the playoffs.

KempersRS
03-01-2002, 06:33 PM
13-4

The Mariner's are losing 12-1 to the Angels. Spring training means zip. Anyone know where I can get a boxscore of today's game?

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Well, doing that certainly made the 2000 that much better.

This year, I think the Sox will be good. Not great, mind you, they are an "ace" short of that, but the Sox will win more games than they did last year. And with this division, that should be enough to get into the playoffs, and as the 2000 Yankees proved, anything is possible in the playoffs.

That's basically where I'm at right now, Czal. I'm on record as saying that I believe Minnesota will win the division. Hopefully as the team did in 2000 they will surprise me.

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 06:38 PM

That's basically where I'm at right now, Czal. I'm on record as saying that I believe Minnesota will win the division. Hopefully as the team did in 2000 they will surprise me.

Well, I guess we both can hope you'll be wrong. I don't think the Twins have what it takes to compete for 162 games. I wouldn't be surprised to have them in 1st even as late as the All-Star Break, but they don't have the depth to compete late into the season.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
The Mariner's are losing 12-1 to the Angels. Spring training means zip. Anyone know where I can get a boxscore of today's game?

Try yahoo or cbs sportsline Kemp.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 06:42 PM
Well, I guess we both can hope you'll be wrong. I don't think the Twins have what it takes to compete for 162 games. I wouldn't be surprised to have them in 1st even as late as the All-Star Break, but they don't have the depth to compete late into the season.

Minnesota has the arms, they lack the bats. The Sox have offense, but their arms are coming back from operations or are unproven.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-01-2002, 06:47 PM
The streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers. Its not over yet because it hasn't even started.

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 06:53 PM

Minnesota has the arms, they lack the bats. The Sox have offense, but their arms are coming back from operations or are unproven.

Well, the Twins have 3 arms (4 if you count Rick Reed), but that's not going to be enough to carry them through the entire season. Their bullpen is still a shambles. And in this day and age, you can't make the playoffs without a bullpen.

The Sox have good-but-not-great pitching. It'll be enough, combined with the offense, to see action in October.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 07:00 PM
The Sox have good-but-not-great pitching. It'll be enough, combined with the offense, to see action in October.

I just don't see it. The bullpen is Foulke and pray that someone with an injured arm is good. I'm not convinced that Buehrle is the real deal, and who knows what Ritchie will bring. Garland has shown flashes, maybe this year he breaks out. I have no idea what to expect from Parque, or the 5th starter.

CerberusWG
03-01-2002, 07:30 PM
What was Minnesota's Post All-Star Break record? Oh yeah, below .500, and two of thier starters finally had good years.

RedPinStripes
03-01-2002, 08:55 PM

Tom Kelly is gone. No one is adding in that factor. Thankfully he's gone because there were quite a few games I remember that TK owned Manuel with managing close games. I doubt the Twinkies are going to be a nightmare like last season.

:notwinks