PDA

View Full Version : Same dilemma next year

sageofthesox
09-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Why, oh why, do they schedule baseball and football on the same day in Minnesota? And why do the White Sox often get stuck with these Saturday morning games? It's happened many times over the years.

According to the newly released '07 Sox schedule, we play in the dome on Sept. 8, 2007. Again, a Gopher football game is also scheduled for the same day.

TheOldRoman
09-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, MLB loves the Twins. They are the adorable, cuddly little group of kids with a tiny payroll, who were almost contracted, and they often beat the big boys. They are almost a human interest story. It is good for MLB for the Twins to make the playoffs. Therefore, the Twins seemingly always get 15-20 home games in September. The Sox, on the other hand, always have brutal Septembers, and always have to finish it up on the road. I am certainly no conspiracy theorist, but this **** happens every year. You can't ignore this trend. I was shocked then I found out that the Sox have more home than road games in Sept next year.

This is absolute bull****, and there is no reason for it. NCAA makes their football schedules three years in advance. MLB just made its schedule. See a confilct? Ok, how about we switch a series so the teams play at the Cell instead of the Metrodome? It isn't hard to work around U of M. The NFL makes its schedules every year, so they should be able to schedule the Vikings at home only on Sundays when the Twins are gone (the day after the Gophers play). The Gophers have four home games in September next year, and the Twins will play on two of them. Is is absolutely necessary for the Twins to have three weekends at hom in Sept?

The best solution would be for the Twins to have night games, and the Gophers to move their thrilling contests against Miami (O), Purdue, and the always tough "MAC opponent" to 11, like a normal college team. That would make a little too much sense, also. At least we will only have to deal with this crap for two more Septembers. The new Twins park can't go up fast enough.

caulfield12
09-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, MLB loves the Twins. They are the adorable, cuddly little group of kids with a tiny payroll, who were almost contracted, and they often beat the big boys. They are almost a human interest story. It is good for MLB for the Twins to make the playoffs. Therefore, the Twins seemingly always get 15-20 home games in September. The Sox, on the other hand, always have brutal Septembers, and always have to finish it up on the road. I am certainly no conspiracy theorist, but this **** happens every year. You can't ignore this trend. I was shocked then I found out that the Sox have more home than road games in Sept next year.

This is absolute bull****, and there is no reason for it. NCAA makes their football schedules three years in advance. MLB just made its schedule. See a confilct? Ok, how about we switch a series so the teams play at the Cell instead of the Metrodome? It isn't hard to work around U of M. The NFL makes its schedules every year, so they should be able to schedule the Vikings at home only on Sundays when the Twins are gone (the day after the Gophers play). The Gophers have four home games in September next year, and the Twins will play on two of them. Is is absolutely necessary for the Twins to have three weekends at hom in Sept?

The best solution would be for the Twins to have night games, and the Gophers to move their thrilling contests against Miami (O), Purdue, and the always tough "MAC opponent" to 11, like a normal college team. That would make a little too much sense, also. At least we will only have to deal with this crap for two more Septembers. The new Twins park can't go up fast enough.

I thought the Twins' stadium was opening in 2010?

Lip Man 1
09-30-2006, 12:28 PM
The football team has a new on campus stadium going up.

Lip

TheOldRoman
09-30-2006, 12:43 PM
I thought the Twins' stadium was opening in 2010?
Damn, you are correct. Three more years of that hellhole.:angry:

MrRoboto83
09-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Why, oh why, do they schedule baseball and football on the same day in Minnesota? And why do the White Sox often get stuck with these Saturday morning games? It's happened many times over the years.

According to the newly released '07 Sox schedule, we play in the dome on Sept. 8, 2007. Again, a Gopher football game is also scheduled for the same day.

I would bet this game will not get televised at all.

MrRoboto83
09-30-2006, 12:46 PM
The football team has a new on campus stadium going up.

Lip

When is it scheduled to open, next season?

Parrothead
09-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't mind the early game. Back when Veeck had the team he had an early game (around 10 am). I loved it as a kid. I would be there for all of them. I really don't think it matters either way, football or baseball by day.

October26
09-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I would bet this game will not get televised at all.

Kudos to Comcast for picking up today's game 9/30/06 so we could see our boys win! :smile:

I'm hoping Comcast will take care of their customers again next year like they did this year. Way to go Comcast - Sportsnet! :bandance:

TheOldRoman
09-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Kudos to Comcast for picking up today's game 9/30/06 so we could see our boys win! :smile:

I'm hoping Comcast will take care of their customers again next year like they did this year. Way to go Comcast - Sportsnet! :bandance:
It wasn't their doing. Fox has the rights to anything broadcasted before 3 pm. Fox had to agree to let someone else show the game because, at the time, it looked like it might be big. In exchange for this game, they picked up the rights to last Sat, moved the game to noon, and ruined the last fireworks night of the season.
I think the Sox or MLB pressured Fox into getting this game onto TV. Hopefully they do the same next year.

soxfan80
09-30-2006, 05:57 PM
It wasn't their doing. Fox has the rights to anything broadcasted before 3 pm. Fox had to agree to let someone else show the game because, at the time, it looked like it might be big. In exchange for this game, they picked up the rights to last Sat, moved the game to noon, and ruined the last fireworks night of the season.
I think the Sox or MLB pressured Fox into getting this game onto TV. Hopefully they do the same next year.
the simply moved the fireworks night to friday