PDA

View Full Version : Tanyon


hold2dibber
03-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Does anyone remember who Sturtze was traded for? Wasn't it Graffinino? I remember him being absolutely HORRIBLE for the Sox, but he put together a half way decent year for the Devil Rays last year and looks like he has some potential. Does anyone remember what his minor league stats were like when he was in the minors in the Sox organization?

voodoochile
03-01-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Does anyone remember who Sturtze was traded for? Wasn't it Graffinino? I remember him being absolutely HORRIBLE for the Sox, but he put together a half way decent year for the Devil Rays last year and looks like he has some potential. Does anyone remember what his minor league stats were like when he was in the minors in the Sox organization?

As I recall he had control problems while he was a member of the organization. He was wishy washy witht eh D-Rays last year also - good start, bad start. At least that is the way I remember it. He was just one of those guys who was lost in the numbers crunch and was starting to get older for "prospect status".

baggio202
03-01-2002, 01:01 PM
i dont have his minor league stats but he i know he was 30 when he left so we had to get him from some other org...i know he was trded for graffy...

what bothers me is that when we get ride of guys that suck for us they blossom in other places..besides sturtz...look at scott eyre...toronto is saying they changed his delivery and he is throwing about 3 mph faster and has better control..as a sept call up he had a 3.45 era with 2 saves...toronto is projecting as a starter in their rotation...

we developed guys like baldwin siro and parque before nardi got here...during that time he was destroying seattles staff..as soon as he left seattle their staff improved...since he came here we have had pitchers that couldnt throw a strike and if they they might as well just saved everybody some time and just thrown the ball into the gap all of sudden show up in other places looking like the 2nd coming of tom seaver....

also it was sean lowe in '00 that saw a flaw in foulke's delivery when he was struggling..he was tipping his change..lowe told him and bingo..kieth was back on track..last year the sox sent lowe to charlotte for 2 weeks..the first day there pitching coach kirk champion saw a minor flaw in his delivery..in 10 minutes he had sean pitching well again..

my question..what the hell does nardi do all day..besides ruin guys like sturtz and eyre???...

sorry for going off on a tangent..im trying to find a site that give minor as well as major league stats??..anyone know of a site that does that???

kermittheefrog
03-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i dont have his minor league stats but he i know he was 30 when he left so we had to get him from some other org...i know he was trded for graffy...

what bothers me is that when we get ride of guys that suck for us they blossom in other places..besides sturtz...look at scott eyre...toronto is saying they changed his delivery and he is throwing about 3 mph faster and has better control..as a sept call up he had a 3.45 era with 2 saves...toronto is projecting as a starter in their rotation...

we developed guys like baldwin siro and parque before nardi got here...during that time he was destroying seattles staff..as soon as he left seattle their staff improved...since he came here we have had pitchers that couldnt throw a strike and if they they might as well just saved everybody some time and just thrown the ball into the gap all of sudden show up in other places looking like the 2nd coming of tom seaver....

also it was sean lowe in '00 that saw a flaw in foulke's delivery when he was struggling..he was tipping his change..lowe told him and bingo..kieth was back on track..last year the sox sent lowe to charlotte for 2 weeks..the first day there pitching coach kirk champion saw a minor flaw in his delivery..in 10 minutes he had sean pitching well again..

my question..what the hell does nardi do all day..besides ruin guys like sturtz and eyre???...

sorry for going off on a tangent..im trying to find a site that give minor as well as major league stats??..anyone know of a site that does that???

First of all Nardi didnt' ruin Sturtze. Sturtze was a retread the Sox were trying to get lucky with and they didn't. The D-Rays seemed to straighten him out but he's still just an innings eater type. It's not like we were one of the teams who gave up on Cory Lidle.

As for Eyre. Who cares? We got Glover in that deal, Glover gave us 100 pretty good innings and will be a valuable member of our rotation or bullpen next year. He was less than dirt in Toronto and we turned him into something. I wouldn't get too excited about Eyre's 15 2/3 innings last year either.

It's not like everyone we give up turns into a decent pitcher, see Aaron Myette.

HawkDJ
03-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Does anyone remember who Sturtze was traded for? Wasn't it Graffinino?

Yup. Sturtze for Graffanino was the trade. I can't remember if anyone else was involved.

baggio202
03-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog


First of all Nardi didnt' ruin Sturtze. Sturtze was a retread the Sox were trying to get lucky with and they didn't. The D-Rays seemed to straighten him out but he's still just an innings eater type. It's not like we were one of the teams who gave up on Cory Lidle.

As for Eyre. Who cares? We got Glover in that deal, Glover gave us 100 pretty good innings and will be a valuable member of our rotation or bullpen next year. He was less than dirt in Toronto and we turned him into something. I wouldn't get too excited about Eyre's 15 2/3 innings last year either.

It's not like everyone we give up turns into a decent pitcher, see Aaron Myette.

myette is 24 years old....has had one full season in the bigs...guy pitched all of 18 1/3 innings with us...and we got stuck with ass hole clayton for him...gaurentee in afew years that trade will haunt us

OfficerKarkovice
03-01-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by baggio202


myette is 24 years old....has had one full season in the bigs...guy pitched all of 18 1/3 innings with us...and we got stuck with ass hole clayton for him...gaurentee in afew years that trade will haunt us

ah yes we got rid of model citizen aaron myette who after not making the team broke his hand after punching it through the wall...damn i miss that guy

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by baggio202


myette is 24 years old....has had one full season in the bigs...guy pitched all of 18 1/3 innings with us...and we got stuck with ass hole clayton for him...gaurentee in afew years that trade will haunt us

Come on, Myette's 2001 ERA was well over 7, and he pitched over 50 innings. He's a bust. He will not come back to haunt the Sox.

baggio202
03-01-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Come on, Myette's 2001 ERA was well over 7, and he pitched over 50 innings. He's a bust. He will not come back to haunt the Sox.

he has a grand total of 99 major league innings...

the concensus amongst baseball scouts is dont give up on a young pitcher until he is 27 and has logged 400 innings..mayetee isnt even close...

and despite the high era he did show some promising signs...he struck out 67 in 80 ip..and he hit 12 guys....shows me he is not afraid to pitch inside...he has a93 mph fastball that rides in on right handed hitters..alot like rocky biddle..only he hasnt been injured before....

time will tell

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by baggio202


he has a grand total of 99 major league innings...

the concensus amongst baseball scouts is dont give up on a young pitcher until he is 27 and has logged 400 innings..mayetee isnt even close...

and despite the high era he did show some promising signs...he struck out 67 in 80 ip..and he hit 12 guys....shows me he is not afraid to pitch inside...he has a93 mph fastball that rides in on right handed hitters..alot like rocky biddle..only he hasnt been injured before....

time will tell

You could be right, but the White Sox have a lot of right-handed middle relief, which is the best that Myette projects to.

Myette was never considered a top prospect by the Sox, and his AAA numbers in 2000 were not impressive.

Wow, this is so great, to listen to the game.

kermittheefrog
03-01-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by baggio202


he has a grand total of 99 major league innings...

the concensus amongst baseball scouts is dont give up on a young pitcher until he is 27 and has logged 400 innings..mayetee isnt even close...

and despite the high era he did show some promising signs...he struck out 67 in 80 ip..and he hit 12 guys....shows me he is not afraid to pitch inside...he has a93 mph fastball that rides in on right handed hitters..alot like rocky biddle..only he hasnt been injured before....

time will tell

Ya know, a very underrated quality to have in a pitcher that really does make a difference is intelligence. A lot of Greg Maddux's success can be attributed to the fact that he's clearly a very intelligent person so he succeeds despite not having a 97 mph fastball. Aaron Myette missed a half season because he broke his hand punching a brick wall. Soemthing tells me this deal isn't going to haunt us.

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog


Ya know, a very underrated quality to have in a pitcher that really does make a difference is intelligence. A lot of Greg Maddux's success can be attributed to the fact that he's clearly a very intelligent person so he succeeds despite not having a 97 mph fastball. Aaron Myette missed a half season because he broke his hand punching a brick wall. Soemthing tells me this deal isn't going to haunt us. LMAO!!! This is an excellent post, Kermit. :D:

Daver
03-01-2002, 04:30 PM
Tanyon Sturtze sucks,he sucked before the Sox got him and continues to suck to this day,I hope the D-Rays sign him long term.

Foulke You
03-01-2002, 04:46 PM
The Sun-Times has been doing a synopsis of each MLB team every day. Today the D-Rays were the team. Tanyon Sturtze is the "ace" of the staff and is projected to be the opening day starter. It's going to be a long season in the "Catwalk" dome for D-Ray fans.

kermittheefrog
03-01-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The Sun-Times has been doing a synopsis of each MLB team every day. Today the D-Rays were the team. Tanyon Sturtze is the "ace" of the staff and is projected to be the opening day starter. It's going to be a long season in the "Catwalk" dome for D-Ray fans.

Don't bet on that, Joe Kennedy is the best pitcher on Tampa's staff. I would be surprised if he didn't get the opening day start.