PDA

View Full Version : Wunsch

hold2dibber
03-01-2002, 12:39 PM
I'm pretty worried about the left-handed reliever situation. Wunsch is coming off of surgery, and frankly, I think his 2000 was a fluke -- as I recall, he had never been anywhere near that successful at any level of pro ball. I think there's a very good chance that, just like Singleton and Caruso, he played way over his head in his rookie year and will come back down to earth this year (even more likely coming off sugery). Since he looks like the only lefty in the pen, this is very worrisome. It doesn't seem like any of the lefties in the system are ready for a short-lefty-in-the-pen role, so I don't know what happens if Wunsch fails. Are there any decent left handed relievers still without a team? Any thoughts on guys who might otherwise be available?

baggio202
03-01-2002, 12:45 PM
you wont believe this but dan plesac.. anative south sider..who has posted sub 4 era's the past two season came out publicy and said that he will retire unless the white sox make him an offer..he still lives in the south subarbs and will retire unless he plays here because he wants to be closer to his family...and moron KW hasnt even made an offer...im sure we could get him for damn near the league minimum after a statement like that...

onan masaoka is scheduled to pitch one inning against the d-backs today..hopefully he comes through so we get something out of another KW eff up..the baldwin deal

AsInWreck
03-01-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
you wont believe this but dan plesac.. anative south sider..who has posted sub 4 era's the past two season came out publicy and said that he will retire unless the white sox make him an offer..he still lives in the south subarbs and will retire unless he plays here because he wants to be closer to his family...and moron KW hasnt even made an offer...im sure we could get him for damn near the league minimum after a statement like that...

I think Plesac said he'd retire after this year unless he signs w/ sox- i believe he's still under contract this year

Daver
03-01-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

I think Plesac said he'd retire after this year unless he signs w/ sox- i believe he's still under contract this year

He is.

foulkesfan11
03-02-2002, 09:58 AM
I don't think Kelly was a fluke in 2000. If he stays healthy this year. He will rock!

RedPinStripes
03-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Coerwin Malone might be rushed this year if Wunsch and Butter don't recover well.

bringbackrobin
03-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm pretty worried about the left-handed reliever situation. Wunsch is coming off of surgery, and frankly, I think his 2000 was a fluke -- as I recall, he had never been anywhere near that successful at any level of pro ball. I think there's a very good chance that, just like Singleton and Caruso, he played way over his head in his rookie year and will come back down to earth this year (even more likely coming off sugery). Since he looks like the only lefty in the pen, this is very worrisome. It doesn't seem like any of the lefties in the system are ready for a short-lefty-in-the-pen role, so I don't know what happens if Wunsch fails. Are there any decent left handed relievers still without a team? Any thoughts on guys who might otherwise be available?

Kelly didn't have a lot of success until he started throwing sidearm. He has pitched real well since then. The thing about Singleton and Caruso is that their rookie seasons really weren't all that good to begin with. Besides, last year Singleton effectively bounced back to where he was his rookie year. In 99, he had a .328 OBP and a .490 SLG. In 2001 he was back up to a .331 OBP and a .431 SLG.