PDA

View Full Version : What about Cintron

sox230
09-29-2006, 08:25 PM
We are so concerned about replacing Uribe with somebody fast that can get on base. While there are hardly any good SS free agents, I think we are overlooking one of our own. Alex Cintron has 10 SB in a limited role off the bench this season and with a .287 average, I think he could be a good bargain for a 2 hitter. This way we can focus our money on getting speedy outfieders in left and center. Anybody else support maybe turning Cintron into a starting SS, especially with the weak SS free agent class?

ondafarm
09-29-2006, 09:08 PM
We are so concerned about replacing Uribe with somebody fast that can get on base. While there are hardly any good SS free agents, I think we are overlooking one of our own. Alex Cintron has 10 SB in a limited role off the bench this season and with a .287 average, I think he could be a good bargain for a 2 hitter. This way we can focus our money on getting speedy outfieders in left and center. Anybody else support maybe turning Cintron into a starting SS, especially with the weak SS free agent class?

Thank you. I have been trumpeting this for weeks. I don't think he'll be a number 2 hitter, but clearly as a switch-hitter he'll have better matchups than Uribe. I don't think the Sox will dump Uribe though, Cintron has never been a full-time starter.

DSpivack
09-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Thank you. I have been trumpeting this for weeks. I don't think he'll be a number 2 hitter, but clearly as a switch-hitter he'll have better matchups than Uribe. I don't think the Sox will dump Uribe though, Cintron has never been a full-time starter.

He wasn't in 2004? He played in 154 games and had 564 at bats, going .262/.301/.363.

ondafarm
09-29-2006, 09:20 PM
He wasn't in 2004? He played in 154 games and had 564 at bats, going .262/.301/.363.

I guess he was, but considering they acquired Royce Clayton for the 2005 season to be their primary shortstop, I guess he didn't impress.

DrummerGeorgefan
09-29-2006, 09:22 PM
The thing that bothers me with Cintron is too often you see him commit to a pitch too early or too late and follow through with a very loopy loose 'Oh gosh' swing. If he can focus on contact, he'd be a great replacement in the 8/9 hole.

DSpivack
09-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I guess he was, but considering they acquired Royce Clayton for the 2005 season to be their primary shortstop, I guess he didn't impress.

Must've been the .301 OBP. I like Cintron, but if he is our everyday shortstop next season I'll be dissapointed.

goon
09-29-2006, 09:54 PM
The thing that bothers me with Cintron is too often you see him commit to a pitch too early or too late and follow through with a very loopy loose 'Oh gosh' swing. If he can focus on contact, he'd be a great replacement in the 8/9 hole.

he's not a great hitter, but he seems to be more consistent. he's on the same level as uribe a defensive player, not the arm, but covers a lot of space and fields well.

i would like to see him toward the bottom of the order though.

A. Cavatica
09-29-2006, 10:00 PM

Don't hold this against him. Arizona couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire a future HoF shortstop.

shoelessshaun27!
09-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Cintron is pretty good, i think we need a better center fielder more then getting a shortstop, so i think we should move Cintron to shortstop

Chips
09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Cintron is pretty good, i think we need a better center fielder more then getting a shortstop, so i think we should move Cintron to shortstop

Anderson is an excellent center fielder. He just played his first major league season. He's hitting just as good as Uribe and has better defense.

I would rather keep Uribe at short if no one better is available.

JB98
09-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Anderson is an excellent center fielder. He just played his first major league season. He's hitting just as good as Uribe and has better defense.

I would rather keep Uribe at short if no one better is available.

Uribe is more productive than Anderson. The batting average is similar, but Juan has gotten many more big hits for this team than BA has. It's reflected in the RBI total.

That said, I'm getting a little tired of Uribe's laissez-faire approach to defense. The guy would be one of the best in the game if he would keep his focus. I think he gets lazy and hotdogs a lot of easy plays. He hasn't been as efficient turning the double play this season as he was in '05. I think he's a prime candidate to be replaced, but the key question is whether someone better can be had.

I'd rather keep Uribe than overpay in a trade for Jimmy Rollins or Michael Young. If Juan is back next season, Ozzie should warn him that he needs to play better or Cintron WILL take his job.