PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 9-30

Lip Man 1
09-29-2006, 12:29 PM
September 30, 1966 - The Sox defeat the New York Yankees 6-5 in eleven innings on a single to left by Johnny Romano. It scored Wayne Causey. Why is that important? The loss guaranteed the Yankees a last place finish. Their first since 1912!

September 30, 1971 - When Bill Melton smashed a home run on the last day of the season off the Brewers Bill Parsons, he became the first Sox player to ever win a home run championship. Melton hit three home runs in the final two games to pass Norm Cash and Reggie Jackson for the title. Typically White Sox, he only had 33, the lowest total for a champ since 1965.

September 30, 1990 - Eighty years of baseball history ends as the "original" Comiskey Park closes with a 2 - 1 win over the Mariners. An emotional and capacity crowd, including politicians, musicians, sports and Hollywood figures are in attendance. Among the celebrities in the park are Governor Jim Thompson, Major Richard M. Daley, Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, George Wendt, John Candy, Wayne Gretzky and Maureen O Hara. The Oak Ridge Boys sing the National Anthem and the rock group Styx sings "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the 7th inning. Bobby Thigpen gets his 57th save in the game, still the MLB record. The Sox would close out a miraculous 1990 season with 94 wins. (Jack McDowell, the starting and winning pitcher that day, talks about his memories of that afternoon in his interview with White Sox Interactive.)

September 30, 2000 - Sox infielder Jose Valentin becomes the fourth player in franchise history to hit home runs from both sides of the plate in the same game. Valentin connects off the Royals Blake Stein and Scott Mullen. He drives in three runs in the Sox 9 - 1 win. This has only happened six times in franchise history and Valentin did it three times! Also three times this feat happened against the Kansas City Royals.

http://pocards.dnjo.ca/p/t4st/stadChicago04.jpg (http://pocards.dnjo.ca/p/t4st/stadChicago04.jpg)

Lip

Myrtle72
09-29-2006, 12:35 PM
September 30, 1990 - Eighty years of baseball history ends as the "original" Comiskey Park closes with a 2 - 1 win over the Mariners. An emotional and capacity crowd, including politicians, musicians, sports and Hollywood figures are in attendance. Among the celebrities in the park are Governor Jim Thompson, Major Richard M. Daley, Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, George Wendt, John Candy, Wayne Gretzky and Maureen O Hara. The Oak Ridge Boys sing the National Anthem and the rock group Styx sings "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the 7th inning. Bobby Thigpen gets his 57th save in the game, still the MLB record. The Sox would close out a miraculous 1990 season with 94 wins. (Jack McDowell, the starting and winning pitcher that day, talks about his memories of that afternoon in his interview with White Sox Interactive.)
Lip

I was 5 years old when Comiskey closed and I still remember going to one of the last games in September. My dad has a brick from the old park that he grabbed when they were tearing it down.

Dick Allen
09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Lip, didn't the Sox bat Melton leadoff in those games to give him his shot?

soxfanatlanta
09-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Lip, didn't the Sox bat Melton leadoff in those games to give him his shot?

He lead off on the 29th, and 30th (per retrosheet (http://www.retrosheet.org/))

hold2dibber
09-29-2006, 01:52 PM

That weekend is one I will never forget. The Saturday night game featured the most amazing fireworks I've ever seen. It was a huge, wild, raucous party that night. Then the Sunday game was like a funeral. Sad, somber, subdued. Emotions ran the gamut that weekend. That 1990 season is the best non-playoff season in my memory (better even than the '77 South Side Hit Men team). Great team, great season and an amazing farewell weekend to the old park.

DumpJerry
09-29-2006, 03:06 PM
That weekend is one I will never forget. The Saturday night game featured the most amazing fireworks I've ever seen. It was a huge, wild, raucous party that night. Then the Sunday game was like a funeral. Sad, somber, subdued. Emotions ran the gamut that weekend. That 1990 season is the best non-playoff season in my memory (better even than the '77 South Side Hit Men team). Great team, great season and an amazing farewell weekend to the old park.
I was at the Sat. night game, too. It was a magnificient fireworks show. I have a photo of it in my dinning room. My friend and I were getting a bit sarcastic because the Sox all week were making announcements in the media asking people to not steal anything, like seats, etc. Bill and I were sitting in the right field corner looking at the I-beam support posts and asking each other if we brought a socket wrench........

I miss the old place, it was really special!:whiner:

tacosalbarojas
09-29-2006, 03:39 PM
I was at the Sat. night game, too. It was a magnificient fireworks show. I have a photo of it in my dinning room. My friend and I were getting a bit sarcastic because the Sox all week were making announcements in the media asking people to not steal anything, like seats, etc. Bill and I were sitting in the right field corner looking at the I-beam support posts and asking each other if we brought a socket wrench........

Ditto fellas. Until last year's Game Two, the last game in the old park is the one I felt most fortunate to be able to attend. Never forget the places where you grew up. That was old Comiskey for me.

shoelessshaun27!
09-29-2006, 11:34 PM
September 30, 1971 - When Bill Melton smashed a home run on the last day of the season off the Brewers Bill Parsons, he became the first Sox player to ever win a home run championship. Melton hit three home runs in the final two games to pass Norm Cash and Reggie Jackson for the title. Typically White Sox, he only had 33, the lowest total for a champ since 1965.
Lip[/quote]

Bill Melton is really cool, i've met him a couple times and got his autograph. Melton is a Sox Legend.

TheKittle
09-30-2006, 12:57 AM

Hey Dump, this is the second time in less than a week, one of your posts have made me spit out my drink and ruin my keyboard and monitor. You owe me a new flat screen monitor and keyboard buddy. :)

BTW the first time was the line about Abe Froman. That was funny as hell.

flo-B-flo
09-30-2006, 01:07 AM
I miss the old place, it was really special!:whiner: Way more than I admit.........me too:(: