PDA

View Full Version : 2002 White Sox vs. 2002 Cubs-Benches

beausox
03-01-2002, 12:36 PM
A look at how the two teams benches compare-

C-Mark Johnson vs. Joe Girardi-

Girardi is old, very old. He is strong defender and a helluva nice guy beyond that he is just old. He was a token all-star a couple years ago and hasn't done much since. MJ, a former #1 pick, does a few things right. He is a patience hitter, and one of the only catchers in Chicago who understands that walks are important.

1B/3B-Jeff Liefer vs. Julio Zuleta-

Yes I know Zuleta won't be playing third anytime soon. He may not even make the Cubs roster, but with Coomer gone, he is their only option to back up first. Both of these guys can flat out hit. Zuleta and Liefer are two guys who could produce at the major league level everyday if given the chance. Liefer's experience and his ability to play third as well as the OF (although defense is not his strength) make him more valuable.

2B/SS-Tony Graffanino vs. Chris Stynes-

For now, were assuming DeShields will be the Cubs main second baseman in 2002, I know Bobby Hill may end up as the starter, but oh how Baylor loves the veterans. Graffy has guts, he will do anything Manuel asks of him. However, there are 50 other guys just like him in AAA that would be a lot cheaper and would be just as good, we have one of them in camp named Justin Baughman. The Cubs also have one in camp named Mark Bellhorn. Stynes defines versatile (sorry to all the Josh Paul supporters). He can play 2B/SS/3B and all the OF positions. He also is a great contac hitter and will probably end up hitting over .300. Stynes wins this one.

OF-Aaron Rowand vs. Roosevelt Brown-

Brown is one of those guys who has never been given a shot. He is very capable of handling a starting job in the majors, on the other hand so is Rowand. Both can play all three OF positions, though Rowand is the better defender. Aaron is younger but honestly I don't see either holding a clear advantage. This one is a push.

OF-Brian Simmons vs. Darren Lewis

Remember the days when Darren Lewis was roaming OF for our Sox. That thought really makes you appreciate the Lofton signing. Both of these guys are great defenders, when it comes to hitting though, Darren Lewis is Brian Simmons Light. Simmons is a lot cheaper than Lewis, a lot younger than Lewis, and a lot better than Lewis.

When doing these anaylsis, I tried to pick the five guys I THOUGHT, would be on each team's bench in 2002. The Cubs may carry another bench player because there is no DH in the NL. I also understand that there are other players, Willie Harris, Josh Paul, etc. for the Sox, Mark Bellhorn, Augie Ojeda, etc.for the Cubs, that may also make their respective teams. Next comaprison will be the Starting Rotations.

Vsahajpal
03-01-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by beausox

Girardi is old, very old. He is strong defender and a helluva nice guy beyond that he is just old. He was a token all-star a couple years ago and hasn't done much since. MJ, a former #1 pick, does a few things right. He is a patience hitter, and one of the only catchers in Chicago who understands that walks are important.

Yes I know Zuleta won't be playing third anytime soon. He may not even make the Cubs roster, but with Coomer gone, he is their only option to back up first. Both of these guys can flat out hit. Zuleta and Liefer are two guys who could produce at the major league level everyday if given the chance. Liefer's experience and his ability to play third as well as the OF (although defense is not his strength) make him more valuable.

For now, were assuming DeShields will be the Cubs main second baseman in 2002, I know Bobby Hill may end up as the starter, but oh how Baylor loves the veterans. Graffy has guts, he will do anything Manuel asks of him. However, there are 50 other guys just like him in AAA that would be a lot cheaper and would be just as good, we have one of them in camp named Justin Baughman. The Cubs also have one in camp named Mark Bellhorn. Stynes defines versatile (sorry to all the Josh Paul supporters). He can play 2B/SS/3B and all the OF positions. He also is a great contac hitter and will probably end up hitting over .300. Stynes wins this one.

Brown is one of those guys who has never been given a shot. He is very capable of handling a starting job in the majors, on the other hand so is Rowand. Both can play all three OF positions, though Rowand is the better defender. Aaron is younger but honestly I don't see either holding a clear advantage. This one is a push.

Remember the days when Darren Lewis was roaming OF for our Sox. That thought really makes you appreciate the Lofton signing. Both of these guys are great defenders, when it comes to hitting though, Darren Lewis is Brian Simmons Light. Simmons is a lot cheaper than Lewis, a lot younger than Lewis, and a lot better than Lewis.

When doing these anaylsis, I tried to pick the five guys I THOUGHT, would be on each team's bench in 2002. The Cubs may carry another bench player because there is no DH in the NL. I also understand that there are other players, Willie Harris, Josh Paul, etc. for the Sox, Mark Bellhorn, Augie Ojeda, etc.for the Cubs, that may also make their respective teams. Next comaprison will be the Starting Rotations.

good analysis

btw, where is Princeton, Illinois in relation to Chicago?

DrCrawdad
03-01-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by beausox

I'll take Mark Johnson. Girardi's done.

As you said defense is not Liefer's strength, but Zuleta is a weak at 1B and HORRIBLE in the outfield.

I'll take Liefer.

I'll take your word on Stynes. I haven't really seen him play. What Sox fans will probably never forget or forgive Tony for his goof last year at third on that game against the Cubs.

"Both can play all three OF positions, though Rowand is the better defender."

Yes Rowand is a better defender, much better. I don't believe that Brown can legitimately play CF. From what I've observed Brown is not a good fielder in the corners either. The Cubs seem to agree. Brown has played all of 7 games in CF in the majors. I've heard that Brown has played some CF in AAA last year. By comparison, Rowand played 32 games in CF for the Sox.

While Rowand is not a true center fielder, he did a admirable job in center for the Sox. Plus Rowand flat out hustles and plays hard. Compare that to Brown who, from what I've heard & read, has a reputation as not working quite as hard on his game.

If it was a matter of an everyday left-fielder Rowand or Brown then I'd have to give Brown a little more consideration. Brown has just been a killer in AAA. But this is a question of a back-up, bench outfielder. Brown isn't a good pinch hitter. So for the role in question here, I'll take Rowand.

Darren Lewis was not a bad pick-up for the Cubs. Simmons is a phenomenal fielder. At this point though, it doesn't look good for him sticking with the Sox. Manuel has fallen in love with Harris. (Anyone remember last spring training's love of Julio Ramirez?) I wish they'd keep Simmons over Harris.

I'll take Simmons. If he's with the Sox.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-01-2002, 05:43 PM
I thought I saw Zuleta was on his way to Japan.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
I thought I saw Zuleta was on his way to Japan.

He is.