PDA

View Full Version : flubs fan in our "thanks White Sox Fans" Tip of the Cap email

ChetChat
09-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Where's Waldo? He's wearing a flubs hat!
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/email/y2006/275x235_thanks.jpg
Not flubsessed, but I thought this was funny. Don't they have ONE picture without a flubs hat in it?

Palehose Pete
09-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Wow, sharp eyes you have there.

Actually, one could take it in a number of positive ways, like, hey, even Cub fans recognize good baseball when they see it (just not good enough, apparently, to get into the playoffs :whiner: ).

ChetChat
09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Wow, sharp eyes you have there.

Actually, one could take it in a number of positive ways, like, hey, even Cub fans recognize good baseball when they see it (just not good enough, apparently, to get into the playoffs :whiner: ).

Actually, I was looking to see if I recognized any one in the picture. :cool:

TDog
09-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Not flubsessed, but I thought this was funny. Don't they have ONE picture without a flubs hat in it?

I don't know if any such pictures exist, even outside of Chicago

This summer, I saw people in Cubs hats getting off the cruise ships every day. Aside from my own, I only saw three White Sox caps this year. The first was a kid attending the local high school graduation. An older man was wearing one downtown a couple of days ago. The other was in the sea of humanity on a sun-splashed August afternoon outside the central train station in Oslo, Norway, where there were more Yankees caps than Cubs caps It was obviously a new-looking white cap with a black Sox logo.

I asked the man if he was from Chicago. It turned out he was Africa.

Palehose Pete
09-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I have no idea why people would choose to root for the Cubs if they weren't born within the broadcast radius of the Tribune Co's World's Greatest Network. The Yankee hats, I can see, because they have a rich history of winning. But why would anyone without any ties to the US ever choose to like a team that has a rich tradition of stinking up the joint? Maybe it's an ironic pose, like wearing a t-shirt that says "Loser" on it. It's a mystery.

Realist
09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
After bartending for 10 years I've come to the conclusion that the world is chock full of silly ass losers. It's only right that these silly ass losers have their very own personal group of silly ass losers to root for in the form of a Major League baseball team - right down to their baseball/clown suit hybrid uniforms.

Sadly, I've found that majority of the population consists of your basic morons. It shouldn't be surprising that team sporting clown suits would have a very large fan base.

We need to learn to tolerate the fact that these simple minded folks are going to spill into our enlightened lives on a daily basis 'cause there's so damn many of them.

TDog
09-28-2006, 05:42 PM
I have no idea why people would choose to root for the Cubs if they weren't born within the broadcast radius of the Tribune Co's World's Greatest Network. The Yankee hats, I can see, because they have a rich history of winning. But why would anyone without any ties to the US ever choose to like a team that has a rich tradition of stinking up the joint? Maybe it's an ironic pose, like wearing a t-shirt that says "Loser" on it. It's a mystery.

In Dublin a few years ago, I met a man from Liverpool who was talking about how special it was to golf at the Old Course in St. Andrews, Scotland. He said it's special that anyone can play there. It would be like a football (soccer) amateur playing at Wembley Stadium or an amateur baseball player playing at Wrigley Field. Not that he knew anything about baseball, having never seen a game.

The Yankees are clearly the big team in Norway -- not that they kine anything about baseball. They even sell Yankees caps that say "Norway" on them. Maybe they just like the Yankees' logo.

palehozenychicty
09-29-2006, 10:13 AM
The Yankees are clearly the big team in Norway -- not that they kine anything about baseball. They even sell Yankees caps that say "Norway" on them. Maybe they just like the Yankees' logo.

Precisely. I spent most of the summer in Germany, and I couldn't count the hundreds of thousands of faux Yankee caps on the street. None of the people have ever followed a full baseball game in their lives, but they love New York :cool: , and they love the logo. What can you say? Civilization is full of sheep and parrots.

Hangar18
09-29-2006, 10:31 AM
That being said, why shouldn't the SOX be among this group?
The White Sox have one of the most RECOGNIZABLE logos in sports.
The SOX cap is very eye-catching and distinct. Its a darned good looking hat. I was downtown once and happened to be chatting with a couple of "blokes" from England, and noticing my SOX cap, had a few questions about the team and the game. Ended up drinking with these guys all nite, and they admitted they loved the "SOX" logo on the caps. Well, I gave the one guy my cap, and I had one of those souvenir shirts they give away at the park, (when you sign up for a credit card) and gave that to the other guy. They were so happy to be taking a piece of American culture back home with them

bryPt
09-29-2006, 11:45 AM
White Sox marketing dropping the ball AGAIN. I think the entire organization mailed it in a month ago!

Hitmen77
09-29-2006, 05:11 PM

The general public can be very stupid at times.

cws05champ
09-30-2006, 04:58 PM
I was in China this past July for 2 weeks in several places around the country. I had the good fortune to be in Beijing for a weekend and got out to the Great Wall outsie of Beijing. I had a WhiteSox shirt and cap on as I climed up to one of the highest points of the Wall. I could not beleive my eyes when I saw 4 people with with White Sox gear on, three coming down as I was going up(they had championship hats on), and another girl with a Sox hat on as I was copming down the wall. I think this was the first time I could remember where I was far from Chicago and Sox gear out numbered Cubs gear. I did not see any Cubs stuff on my trip...it was a happy time in my life!

I thought at that time...the tide is turning! I also made the Great Wall a White Sox fan...I put my hat on a portion of the Wall and took a picture of the Wall with my hat on top.(Picture too large to put on the site)

If the Sox remain competative for the next few years, the changes will come...slowly but surely.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-30-2006, 07:38 PM

Wow - Even DumpJerry wouldn't have spotted that.

FielderJones
10-01-2006, 12:23 AM
I thought at that time...the tide is turning! I also made the Great Wall a White Sox fan...I put my hat on a portion of the Wall and took a picture of the Wall with my hat on top.(Picture too large to put on the site)

Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) is your friend. Resize, resample.

HotelWhiteSox
10-01-2006, 12:34 AM
I always liked this picture:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2789/greatsoxfansgc5.jpg

cws05champ
10-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) is your friend. Resize, resample.

Thanks!, Here's the picture of the Great Wall...now a Sox Fan!

Hopefully it comes through OK.