PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 9-29

Lip Man 1
09-28-2006, 01:27 PM
A tad out of sequence but it was for a reason (No Neck...)

September 29, 1967 - Until the 2005 World Championship, this moment was the 'defining' one for a number of White Sox fans about the franchise.

The Sox still have a chance for the pennant before they lose 1- 0 to the Senators. The only run scored when Tommy McCraw wasn’t able to catch a pop up off the bat of Washington’s Fred Valentine in the 1st inning. NBC-TV had erected a barrier for their field level cameras in case the World Series came to Comiskey Park and Valentine’s pop fell into that enclosed area near the 1st base dugout. On the very next pitch, Valentine singled driving in the only run. That season marked the 17th straight, that the Sox finished better then .500. It’s the third longest streak in baseball history. (J.C. Martin, Wilbur Wood, Ed Herrmann, Pete Ward and Ken Berry are among the members of the 1967 White Sox who talk about the ‘near miss’ season in their interviews with White Sox Interactive.)

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/3b/de/18_1_b.JPG

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

September 29, 1917 - With a 3 - 1 win in the second game of a double header in New York, the Sox win their 100th game of the season. It is still the most regular season wins in a single season in franchise history. Ed Cicotte picks up the win.

September 29, 1920 - With the Sox leading the league late in the season, Eddie Cicotte and Joe Jackson confess (without an attorney present) that they helped throw the 1919 World Series. Charles Comiskey suspends eight players, the Sox collapse down the stretch and blow the pennant, losing out to the Indians by two games.

September 29, 1990 - The last night game ever played at "old" Comiskey Park is won by the Sox 4 - 2. Frank Thomas slaps a two run single up the middle off Mariners starter Matt Young to drive in the go ahead runs.

September 29, 2005 - The Sox beat the Tigers in Detroit 4 - 2 clinching the Central Division title. The Sox win 99 regular season games and lead the division every day of the season. The are one of the few teams to go ‘wire to wire.’ The Sox then blitz through the post season going 11 - 1 on their way to the World Championship. The sweep Houston in four games to get it.

Lip

stl_sox_fan
09-28-2006, 01:40 PM
A tad out of sequence but it was for a reason (No Neck...)

September 29, 1990 - The last night game ever played at "old" Comiskey Park is won by the Sox 4 - 2. Frank Thomas slaps a two run single up the middle off Mariners starter Matt Youngto drive in the go ahead runs.

Lip

I was at that game! The person that had my seat the night before had broken one of the hinges off. I kept thinking about trying to sneak out with it, but those reminders that anyone caught removing anything would be tarred and feathered. If I'm not mistaken, was Harold Reynolds the final groundout from that game?

Lip Man 1
09-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Reynolds ground out was from the final game ever played in Comiskey Park, not the final 'night' game the evening before.

Lip

Meixner007
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I was at that game! The person that had my seat the night before had broken one of the hinges off. I kept thinking about trying to sneak out with it, but those reminders that anyone caught removing anything would be tarred and feathered. If I'm not mistaken, was Harold Reynolds the final groundout from that game?

That was actually on my 8th birthday and I remember it very clearly. But if I'm not mistaken, HR actually grounded out the following afternoon to record the final out in Old Comiskey Park. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Beat me to it Lip.

stl_sox_fan
09-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Reynolds ground out was from the final game ever played in Comiskey Park, not the final 'night' game the evening before.

Lip

That'll teach me not to read the paragraph fully. That always burned me on standardized tests as a kid.
BTW, 1000th post. woo hoo!!

Britt Burns
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
9-29-05....:gulp:

9-29-06........:(:

9-29-07........:bandance: :gulp: