PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM
wanted to say I was very excited at how he lined one back to the pitcher, and BEAT the throw. This guy is lightning on the paths I really hope he improves over the offseason, this could be the guy that spells Pods in the OF

samram
09-28-2006, 11:01 AM
No one will be spelling Pods next season- someone will replace him.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 11:08 AM
No one will be spelling Pods next season- someone will replace him.

when someone replaces a player, its commonly referred to as "spelling".

DaleJRFan
09-28-2006, 11:13 AM
No fighting!!!

I agree, watching Owens lastnight was really exciting. And the best part??? Pods singled, gets thrown out stealing by the worst defensive catcher in the league... then Owns follows it up by singling and then promptly stealing second base.

Go Jerry!

CashMan
09-28-2006, 11:16 AM
If Jerry Owens progresses enough, does that mean Sweeney spends another year in the minors? I know for some reason Anderson is in Ozzie's doghouse but, Does BA go and Sweeney and Owens are in the OF?

voodoochile
09-28-2006, 11:24 AM

To me spelling imples a temporary situation. I don't think Pods will be back with the team at all.

Madvora
09-28-2006, 11:25 AM
If Jerry Owens progresses enough, does that mean Sweeney spends another year in the minors? I know for some reason Anderson is in Ozzie's doghouse but, Does BA go and Sweeney and Owens are in the OF?
With Sweeney, Anderson, and Owens on the Sox, I'm sure one of them will be used to pick up a guy for the team next year. Either, SS, OF, SP or RP.

DumpJerry
09-28-2006, 11:43 AM
To me spelling imples a temporary situation. I don't think Pods will be back with the team at all.
As usual, you are right (must be that wonderful education you got as a youth). When you spell someone, it is a temporary replacement. Also, I thinks Pods will be wearing the uni of a NL tream next year.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2006, 11:47 AM
The term 'spelling' as I've heard it is to give a player a break. (i.e. 'spell' him for a game or two...)

I've never heard it used in the context of replacement.

That being said, Owens has 'potential.' A lot will depend on what he shows in the Arizona Fall League which he is playing in this off season.

We'll see.

I could see Owens on the team in 2007 but more as a bench player, 'spelling' a guy in the outfield from time to time and as a pinch runner. I don't know if he can hit enough to be a starter. Remember he's an ex-UCLA wide receiver still learning the game.

Lip

Myrtle72
09-28-2006, 11:49 AM
I also enjoyed watching Owens last night, but let's not get carried away. While he looks like he's going to be a great speedy addition to the team... his on-base percentage needs to improve and we have so many new minor-leaugers that we are considering for the team next year. We can't have all of them, especially not in starting positions. I would be thrilled if KW put some fresh new players on this team straight outa the minors (and he would look like a genious if they did well), but you definately need some veterans to back that up.

voodoochile
09-28-2006, 11:51 AM
The term 'spelling' as I've heard it is to give a player a break. (i.e. 'spell' him for a game or two...)

That being said, Owens has 'potential.' A lot will depend on what he shows in the Arizona Fall League which he is playing in this off season.

We'll see.

I could see Owens on the team in 2007 but more as a bench player, 'spelling' a guy in the outfield from time to time and as a pinch runner. I don't know if he can hit enough to be a starter. Remember he's an ex-UCLA wide receiver still learning the game.

Lip

If he is that new, he should be left in the minors to accumulate AB. If he isn't going to play regularly, he shouldn't be up with the team.

southside rocks
09-28-2006, 11:59 AM

We'll see.

Lip

Definitions of the word "spell":

1. To relieve (someone) from work temporarily by taking a turn.
2. To allow to rest a while.

Ain't the internet grand. :tongue:

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM

hey man, I didnt mean that in a snotty way. :gulp:

you guys are right, it is used more in a "temporary" form. good catch
but I hope he shows alot of improvement in winter ball to get another chance ......damn that guy is fast!

JB98
09-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Sweeney is ahead of Owens on the organizational depth chart, and there is no way on this earth that Jerry will be a starting outfielder for the Sox in 2007.

That said, Owens could make the roster as a backup outfielder if he has a good showing in the Arizona Fall League and a good spring training. The Sox wouldn't keep Sweeney in the big leagues as a backup because he projects as a future starter and warming the bench would stunt his development.

Owens' speed is intriguing, but I don't see him as any more than a fourth outfielder.

caulfield12
09-28-2006, 12:17 PM
If he is that new, he should be left in the minors to accumulate AB. If he isn't going to play regularly, he shouldn't be up with the team.

He's new to the game of baseball, relatively, but "old" for a prospect.

Anderson, Fields and Sweeney have to be getting at least 60% of the at-bats for them to be on the White Sox next year (at any position).

Otherwise, they're better off in AAA.

I think Owens, if he hits .350-.400 and continues to refine his stolen base % this Winter and in ST, they make him a Rodney McCray with power pinch-runner and defensively replacement for Mackowiak and/or Ozuna in the OF.

Sweeney, supposedly, is slightly better in CF because of his superior arm. Owens covers a little more ground, but Sweeney is more instinctive and natural.

However, I think KW will go out and get a veteran for LF after they let Pods go.

I also don't see two veterans, like Roberts/Clark/Pierre. There has to be playing time for at least one of those four guys (Anderson, Sweeney, Fields or Owens) and possibly two if they platoon Sweeney with either Anderson or Fields.

The problem with that is you waste a year for both if they're playing as much as Mackowiak does (think of it as a Brandon McCarthy year for a position player).

PatK
09-28-2006, 03:47 PM
The problem with that is you waste a year for both if they're playing as much as Mackowiak does (think of it as a Brandon McCarthy year for a position player).

Am I the only one that thinks Mackowiak could be gone?

He really is not good in the outfield.

And if you need a utility infielder, Ozuna and Cintron, IMO, are better choices.

One thing that killed the Sox is they really had no utility outfielder.

Sox-o-matic
09-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Mackowiak could be gone?

He really is not good in the outfield.

And if you need a utility infielder, Ozuna and Cintron, IMO, are better choices.

One thing that killed the Sox is they really had no utility outfielder.

I hope we keep Mack. He's done a good job as a pinch hitter and still has tons of versatility. His strengths only became weaknesses when his manager put him in CF on a regular basis.

I think the Sox do need a legitimate back up CF. I'd like either Brady Clark or Endy Chavez by trade or Steve Finley via FA. The only other options are Cameron and Erstad, but they are everyday players, and I think even Kenny Lofton still views himself as a regular player.

IMO, the casualty will unfortunately be Gload. Sad too, because I think he deserves a chance to play and would provide better production than some starting 1B in the majors (Mike Lamb, Greg Norton, Kevin Millar, Xavier Nady, Scott Hatteberg, Sean Casey, Doug Mientkiewicz, Craig Wilson, etc.). But I'm guessing once he's gone from the Sox he'll be labeled a career minor leaguer forever.

Soxworldchamps
09-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Owens left the game after scoring on his double with "an injured foot/ankle."

Hopefully this is just a precaution and nothing serious, because we'll need him next year.

October26
09-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Owens left the game after scoring on his double with "an injured foot/ankle."

Hopefully this is just a precaution and nothing serious, because we'll need him next year.

Radio update on Owens condition - turf toe (an injury you can only suffer inside the Twinkie dome). He should be fine. I like Owen's speed and he appears to have baseball smarts. He has impressed me over Sweeney, so far.