PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie says some White Sox fans happy to see Sox not make playoffs?

chaerulez
09-28-2006, 08:49 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060927soxbits,1,2621756.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"I'm sure there are people in Chicago who are happy we didn't make it. And not just Cubs fans either. White Sox fans too. Some people think, the media, they're happy we didn't make it. But we can't please everyone. We just have to come back strong and try to get another shot next year."

:(:

jenn2080
09-28-2006, 08:50 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060927soxbits,1,2621756.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"I'm sure there are people in Chicago who are happy we didn't make it. And not just Cubs fans either. White Sox fans too. Some people think, the media, they're happy we didn't make it. But we can't please everyone. We just have to come back strong and try to get another shot next year."

Say what?!?!??!? Ya all summer long I was thinking to myself...Man I am going to see these Sox all over the country I sure hope they don't make the playoffs. What kind of comment is that?!! :rolleyes: :?:

Thome25
09-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Say what?!?!??!? Ya all summer long I was thinking to myself...Man I am going to see these Sox all over the country I sure hope they don't make the playoffs. What kind of comment is that?!! :rolleyes: :?:

Remember the source. The quote is coming out of the CUBune. this may be another attempt for the Tribune to slam the Sox and Ozzie.

It could've been taken out of context. Or that may just be a piece of the quote. There may be more to it than that.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Remember the source. The quote is coming out of the CUBune. this may be another attempt for the Tribune to slam the Sox and Ozzie.

It could've been taken out of context. Or that may just be a piece of the quote. There may be more to it than that.

Yes, clearly taken out of context. You can see that right away. So no Ozzie-hates-Sox-Fans bashing please.
I have no problem with what he said. Hes right about the media, they didnt seem as giddy as I thought they would be once we were eliminated, but they sure didnt act disappointed

Uncle_Patrick
09-28-2006, 09:11 AM
I don't know...I can think of a couple so-called "fans" who were all too happy to tell everyone here how right they were when they predicted back in the middle of the summer that the Sox wouldn't make the playoffs.

I'm sure that this wasn't what Ozzie was talking about, though.

MadetoOrta
09-28-2006, 09:13 AM
In this era of media-induced frenzy, maybe Ozzie needs to sit back and keep quiet. This is not Ozzie bashing. It's advice for Ozzie. Perhaps if the media isn't given there twice a week foot-in-the-mouth comment from Ozzie, they'll back off a little.

SOXandILLINI
09-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Yes, clearly taken out of context. You can see that right away. So no Ozzie-hates-Sox-Fans bashing please.
I have no problem with what he said. Hes right about the media, they didnt seem as giddy as I thought they would be once we were eliminated, but they sure didnt act disappointed

ok.... i'll leave it alone, but you know where i come down on this.

NoNeckEra
09-28-2006, 09:17 AM

Yes, remember the source: OZZIE!
He's trying to create a new rallying cry or create another distraction away from the problems at hand.

As for the Trib slamming the Sox and Ozzie, if it makes you feel better to feel there's this conspiracy, knock yourself out. I've read the Trib everyday since before they bought the cubs, and I'm diehard Sox fan, and absolute cub hater, and can say I don't see it. Sorry, I just don't see it.

jenn2080
09-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Yes, remember the source: OZZIE!
He's trying to create a new rallying cry or create another distraction away from the problems at hand.

As for the Trib slamming the Sox and Ozzie, if it makes you feel better to feel there's this conspiracy, knock yourself out. I've read the Trib everyday since before they bought the cubs, and I'm diehard Sox fan, and absolute cub hater, and can say I don't see it. Sorry, I just don't see it.

I hear ya. People see what they want to see.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 09:27 AM
I don't know...I can think of a couple so-called "fans" who were all too happy to tell everyone here how right they were when they predicted back in the middle of the summer that the Sox wouldn't make the playoffs.

I'm sure that this wasn't what Ozzie was talking about, though.

There were a lot of fans at the park, and in my section, who believed this team just wasnt good enough to make it to the playoffs, and didnt deserve to be there. That doesnt make them "less" a Sox fan. One of the guys has had seats for 15 plus years. I can tell hes a Sox fan.

Ozzie is referring to that segment of the SOX fan base when he says that.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 09:30 AM
In this era of media-induced frenzy, maybe Ozzie needs to sit back and keep quiet. This is not Ozzie bashing. It's advice for Ozzie. Perhaps if the media isn't given there twice a week foot-in-the-mouth comment from Ozzie, they'll back off a little.

Lets see how they cover Ozzie come spring training 07. We totally saw where they stood for over 1/2 the season ...........

Iwritecode
09-28-2006, 09:45 AM
There were a lot of fans at the park, and in my section, who believed this team just wasnt good enough to make it to the playoffs, and didnt deserve to be there.

*raises hand*

With the way this team has been playing, if they had been lucky enough to win a few more games and stumbled into the playoffs it would've been 2000 all over again...

Jerko
09-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Maybe he was talking about the faction of Sox fans who want the newbies/bandwagon jumpers/frontrunners/Cub fans wearing other team's jerseys gone from the Cell??? Losing would precipitate some of their exoduses, or exodi if you will. :o: All I know is I'm steamed the Sox didn't make the playoffs, but as noted before, they didn't deserve to this year.

ws05champs
09-28-2006, 10:42 AM
With the way this team has been playing, if they had been lucky enough to win a few more games and stumbled into the playoffs it would've been 2000 all over again...

I was at the two home games in 2000 and it wasn't pretty. This team is tired. If by some miracle the Twins or Tigers did collapse and the Sox did get in the playoffs it would have just prolonged the agony. Not the way to see the Champs go out.

I'm not happy they didn't make the playoffs but with the way they are playing I won't be regretting it either.

Uncle_Patrick
09-28-2006, 10:47 AM
There were a lot of fans at the park, and in my section, who believed this team just wasnt good enough to make it to the playoffs, and didnt deserve to be there. That doesnt make them "less" a Sox fan. One of the guys has had seats for 15 plus years. I can tell hes a Sox fan.

There's a difference between the fans who don't feel the team was good enough and the fans who say "Hey, I told all you guys they wouldn't make it and you ridiculed me. Look who's right!"

PatK
09-28-2006, 10:50 AM

I'm one of those fans that hopes that this year causes a lot of Sox "fans" to go back to whatever they were doing before this year.

I couldn't afford season tickets, and didn't get a ticket plan because my schedule (which changes often) most of the time dictates what games I can go to. And my g/f's kids play baseball, and that often conflicts with Sox games.

So I get a handful of tickets to games I either want to see, or promo nights I like to go to (Elvis Night, Mullet Night). For the fan like me, it was darn near impossible to get tickets without busting my bank account.

I would think that's because people really wanted to see the Sox, but I guess not.

I've NEVER seen as big of a group of bitter, angry, pessimisstic fans as I have this year. Big whining jerks that punctuated every Sox error, whiff, or run given up with an "I told you so" or "That's why we're not repeating this year".

I hope they're happy, because they sure told us.

Now instead of subjecting yourself to the inhuman torture that the 2006 White Sox put you through, don't come back next year. I know, you're going to leave legions of other fans upset because they won't have to listen to you're incessant, irritating, negative commentary that they could care less about. But you may actually open up seats for people that actually want to see a ballgame.

gobears1987
09-28-2006, 10:56 AM
My guess is that it's tkane out of context. My guess is that Ozzie was probably referring to Sox fans wanting bandwagoners to leave.

southside rocks
09-28-2006, 10:57 AM
I've NEVER seen as big of a group of bitter, angry, pessimisstic fans as I have this year. Big whining jerks that punctuated every Sox error, whiff, or run given up with an "I told you so" or "That's why we're not repeating this year".

Yep, those are probably the people that Ozzie meant. Also the people who send him hateful e-mails and scream that he ought to be fired because the Sox aren't WS repeats this year. The people who have no ability to acknowledge that even with a good team and good management, there is an element of randomness and unpredictability to baseball that means there are no guarantees. The people -- and I have actually seen this posted on another board -- who proclaim that because they pay for a ticket, they are entitled to a win when they go to the park.

The people who call themselves Sox fans but seem to hate 90% of the things that make baseball the game it is.

Thank goodness, they don't post here. I give props to the WSI mods for maintaining the standards when it comes to that.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
There's a difference between the fans who don't feel the team was good enough and the fans who say "Hey, I told all you guys they wouldn't make it and you ridiculed me. Look who's right!"

Yeah, but if the person was mocked for believing they wouldnt make it, why wouldnt someone say that? Boers & Bernstein said this team was going nowhere, and when they were right, they made sure they told everyone the day after (pretty funny too).
I didnt have a problem with that. People dishing it out, but cant taking it I suppose. Jason Goff actually was on a rant last Saturday ripping on everyone who called him a non-fan for believing they werent going to the playoffs.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm one of those fans that hopes that this year causes a lot of Sox "fans" to go back to whatever they were doing before this year.

I couldn't afford season tickets, and didn't get a ticket plan because my schedule (which changes often) most of the time dictates what games I can go to. And my g/f's kids play baseball, and that often conflicts with Sox games.

So I get a handful of tickets to games I either want to see, or promo nights I like to go to (Elvis Night, Mullet Night). For the fan like me, it was darn near impossible to get tickets without busting my bank account.

I would think that's because people really wanted to see the Sox, but I guess not.

Now instead of subjecting yourself to the inhuman torture that the 2006 White Sox put you through, don't come back next year. I know, you're going to leave legions of other fans upset because they won't have to listen to you're incessant, irritating, negative commentary that they could care less about. But you may actually open up seats for people that actually want to see a ballgame.

thats a long post, but I think Ozzie really is talking maybe about bandwagoners. Those fans werent the most upset. it was the longtime fans who have come to expect excellence. Why should we be happy with the way they played the 2nd half? I will never tolerate mediocrity, and the majority of SOX fans wont either.

itsnotrequired
09-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, but if the person was mocked for believing they wouldnt make it, why wouldnt someone say that? Boers & Bernstein said this team was going nowhere, and when they were right, they made sure they told everyone the day after (pretty funny too).
I didnt have a problem with that. People dishing it out, but cant taking it I suppose. Jason Goff actually was on a rant last Saturday ripping on everyone who called him a non-fan for believing they werent going to the playoffs.

The thing that bugs me about these statements is no one can know for certain if a team is going or not. To make a claim, eventually be correct and come back "bragging" later on is idiotic, whether the claim is that the Sox won't make it or that they will make it. So B&B guessed right and now they are trying to pass themselves off as some type of all-knowing baseball guys? Please. Just look at all the doofs last year who said there was "no way" the Sox would make the playoffs. How did they know "for sure" it wouldn't happen? It is all moot anyway since I seem to recall the Sox winning it all in 2005.

Martinigirl
09-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Ozzie needs to think before he speaks, even if this was taken out of context. As the manager of the team, and representative of the organization, he shouldn't rip the fans.

But I think I know where the comment comes from. I can only assume that he has an issue with how he, and some of the players, were booed at the end of the season. If you were the person being jeered by hundreds of people (I choose to believe it wasn't thousands), you might feel if those people are actively cheering against the team, preferring not to see that some people may just have a problem with you as an individual.

And as far as the bandwagon fan issue, yes, it can be irritating. And yes, some supposed 'fans' may not have a clue what they are watching and who is on the field. But the fact of the matter is, if we expect to be able to afford for our payroll, and increase it in order to remain competetive, we have to put up with them and hope we don't lose them.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 11:18 AM
The thing that bugs me about these statements is no one can know for certain if a team is going or not. To make a claim, eventually be correct and come back "bragging" later on is idiotic, whether the claim is that the Sox won't make it or that they will make it. So B&B guessed right and now they are trying to pass themselves off as some type of all-knowing baseball guys? Please. Just look at all the doofs last year who said there was "no way" the Sox would make the playoffs. How did they know "for sure" it wouldn't happen? It is all moot anyway since I seem to recall the Sox winning it all in 2005.

well, your exactly right. I dont like, is if someone has an opinion thats different from everyone else, they are ridiculed and criticized. Shouldnt be like that. The reasons B&B gave early on were justified and agreeable. It wasnt like someone saying "Tampa is going all the way" statements and people saying CMON.

itsnotrequired
09-28-2006, 11:26 AM
well, your exactly right. I dont like, is if someone has an opinion thats different from everyone else, they are ridiculed and criticized. Shouldnt be like that. The reasons B&B gave early on were justified and agreeable. It wasnt like someone saying "Tampa is going all the way" statements and people saying CMON.

The reasons given could be very "justified and agreeable" but that doesn't mean they form a basis for a correct answer. I mean, it isn't like baseball is mathematical proof where one can say with absolute certainty that a given event will. Offering up opinions and beliefs is fine but many times people state them as if they are facts or extrapolate these opinions into definite results. It is a human game played by human players and as the saying goes, "on any given day, in any given game, on any given pitch..."

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
The reasons given could be very "justified and agreeable" but that doesn't mean they form a basis for a correct answer. I mean, it isn't like baseball is mathematical proof where one can say with absolute certainty that a given event will. Offering up opinions and beliefs is fine but many times people state them as if they are facts or extrapolate these opinions into definite results. It is a human game played by human players and as the saying goes, "on any given day, in any given game, on any given pitch..."

thats why I wont rip or mock someone/anyone for an opinion, because as you say, No one can know for certain.

PatK
09-28-2006, 11:34 AM
thats a long post, but I think Ozzie really is talking maybe about bandwagoners. Those fans werent the most upset. it was the longtime fans who have come to expect excellence. Why should we be happy with the way they played the 2nd half? I will never tolerate mediocrity, and the majority of SOX fans wont either.

I was hearing talk like that in the first two months of the season.

Look, if the team sucks so bad that you can't stand it, don't go.

I've never heard more baseball "experts" at the games than I did this year.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Look, if the team sucks so bad that you can't stand it, don't go.

Well, there were lots of late season tickets being put up for sale

gbergman
09-28-2006, 02:08 PM
If your a White Sox fan, why do you not want your team in the playoffs?

itsnotrequired
09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
If your a White Sox fan, why do you not want your team in the playoffs?

Save money on playoff tickets.

You got one camp saying "Hell yeah, I don't care how they get in! Once they're in, anything can happen!" and the other camp saying "I don't want this team limping into the playoffs and getting swept. Who wants to be reminded of such a failure?"

I'm in the former camp; you can't win it all if you don't even go.

soxtalker
09-28-2006, 02:27 PM

I guess that I wouldn't take any statements -- from Ozzie, the players, people in the media, or the fans -- too seriously right now. There's a lot of disappointment on all sides -- and it has been building for awhile as it became more and more obvious that the situation was becoming critical. I'm sure that Ozzie has been getting his share of nasty emails for the past couple of months, and I can easily see some fans saying things in those emails that could precipitate such a reaction.

Now, comments in January after people have had time to calm down and reflect are another matter ...

fquaye149
09-28-2006, 02:43 PM
My biggest problem with this quote is that even after obviously lurking on these boards for years, Ozzie's first shoutout is to Homefish and JeremyB1

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Now, comments in January after people have had time to calm down and reflect are another matter ...

people are definitely not going to be in the mood to "reflect" in October .....

chaerulez
09-28-2006, 02:45 PM
After giving it some thought, I think Ozzie could have been refering to the fact that some Sox fans don't approve of him as maanger. And therefore, seeing the Sox lose made it easy for them to blame Ozzie or they saw it as a way to make Ozzie a scapegoat. Perhaps since English is his second language, it just came out wrong or odd.

nebraskasox
09-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Ozzie needs to think before he speaks, even if this was taken out of context. As the manager of the team, and representative of the organization, he shouldn't rip the fans.

But I think I know where the comment comes from. I can only assume that he has an issue with how he, and some of the players, were booed at the end of the season. If you were the person being jeered by hundreds of people (I choose to believe it wasn't thousands), you might feel if those people are actively cheering against the team, preferring not to see that some people may just have a problem with you as an individual.

And as far as the bandwagon fan issue, yes, it can be irritating. And yes, some supposed 'fans' may not have a clue what they are watching and who is on the field. But the fact of the matter is, if we expect to be able to afford for our payroll, and increase it in order to remain competetive, we have to put up with them and hope we don't lose them.

The above comment makes sense to me, even though Ozzie's comments are puzzling and a little disturbing. It's sometimes hard to interpret Ozzie, in or out of context. But I agree that Ozzie needs to be more careful when he speaks to the media. If Ozzie has an issue with the booing, he should speak to that directly instead of inferring that some Sox fans are happy that the team failed. How can any White Sox fan, bandwagon or otherwise, be happy for the Sox failure? That doesn't make sense and sounds like a slap at the fans who help pay his salary.

kitekrazy
09-28-2006, 03:01 PM

Ozzie was secretly reading all the dark cloud posts on WSI.

PushinWeight
09-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Taken out of context or not I think it was pretty stupid of Ozzie to think that any White Sox fan (or fan of any sports team for that matter) would be watching the games and rooting against them. I would like him to find these "White Sox fans" that wanted to see us lose...

FarWestChicago
09-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Taken out of context or not I think it was pretty stupid of Ozzie to think that any White Sox fan (or fan of any sports team for that matter) would be watching the games and rooting against them. I would like him to find these "White Sox fans" that wanted to see us lose...Look around this board. There are a ton of them.

Grzegorz
09-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Taken out of context or not I think it was pretty stupid of Ozzie to think that any White Sox fan (or fan of any sports team for that matter) would be watching the games and rooting against them. I would like him to find these "White Sox fans" that wanted to see us lose...

Look around this board. There are a ton of them.

Discounting the troglodytes that lurk for one or more of the other twenty-nine teams, I don't think so...

If there were folks on this board that wanted to see the White Sox fail then they're not White Sox fans.

shoelessshaun27!
09-28-2006, 08:52 PM
i don't get it, i think the common sox fan would want to see them go ot the playoffs, i know i did and all my friends did, so i don't know why ozzie sed that

fquaye149
09-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Discounting the troglodytes that lurk for one or more of the other twenty-nine teams, I don't think so...

If there were folks on this board that wanted to see the White Sox fail then they're not White Sox fans.

Over the years there have been a ****-ton of "White Sox Fans" who weren't trolls, but were such dark clouds always calling for his head or his head or his head that it almost seemed like they were disappointed when we won in 2005 b/c it showed what dark clouds they were (yes, dark clouds).

Of course they would always say "well i'm GLAD I was wrong..." but they were still lurking, like ZombieRob waiting for Grossman to make the slightest mistake, ready to jump on Ozzie and the rest of the team at the slightest sign of downturn.

Think of that jackass in the stands in major league...

"Wild Thing! You make my BUTT STINK"

DickAllen72
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Ozzie being Ozzie.....yet again.

SOXandILLINI
09-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Bingo

Frontman
09-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I wanted them to go all the way again. If in the last two weeks they kept playing crap baseball, and manage to "back" into the playoffs, only to get swept, then yeah; I didn't want them to be a post-season joke.

But I certainly wasn't "happy" when they didn't make it.

Cubune crapola.

Front

FarWestChicago
09-28-2006, 10:08 PM

If there were folks on this board that wanted to see the White Sox fail then they're not White Sox fans.You're not the most observant person, are you? :redneck

Over the years there have been a ****-ton of "White Sox Fans" who weren't trolls, but were such dark clouds always calling for his head or his head or his head that it almost seemed like they were disappointed when we won in 2005 b/c it showed what dark clouds they were (yes, dark clouds).

Of course they would always say "well i'm GLAD I was wrong..." but they were still lurking, like ZombieRob waiting for Grossman to make the slightest mistake, ready to jump on Ozzie and the rest of the team at the slightest sign of downturn.

Think of that jackass in the stands in major league...

"Wild Thing! You make my BUTT STINK"And somebody who has been paying attention the last few years. :D:

TDog
09-29-2006, 04:44 AM
I have no problem with what Guillen said.

I also have no idea what Guillen meant. There isn't enough in the report to explain what he is saying. But what he could be saying is something I've been feeling for a while, judging from posts here at WSI. People weren't second-guessing when they questioned his decisions, but I can see how their negativity could feel like lack of support.

And I wasn't in the dugout (or in the ballpark) the night a Chicago crowd applauded an A's player after he hit two home runs against the Sox.

I just know Guillen wasn't talking about me.