PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see this stat?

Madscout
09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
There also was a dubious record, of sorts, set by the White Sox with Jim Thome's strikeout in the eighth. It was the ninth strikeout of the night for the White Sox, giving them a new single-season record of 1,031. The old record was 1,030, set in 2004.

JB98
09-27-2006, 11:08 PM
There also was a dubious record, of sorts, set by the White Sox with Jim Thome's strikeout in the eighth. It was the ninth strikeout of the night for the White Sox, giving them a new single-season record of 1,031. The old record was 1,030, set in 2004.

Be careful. I started a thread the other day about too many strikeouts, and I got assailed. :tongue:

soxinem1
09-27-2006, 11:50 PM

Records are made to be broken. Even the bad ones.

But 2005 was no contact fest either, despite the small ball talk, they still whiffed over 1K times.

johnr1note
09-29-2006, 12:29 AM
And do you know what? There are 16 (count `em!) 16 mlb teams with more strikeouts than the White Sox have as a team this year. Several are playoff bound (including the Tigers, Padres and Mets., with the Yankees at no. 18, only 3 K's short of the Sox), and some that might be playoff bound (Phillies and Astros). The two teams with the best "contact" records (that is, fewest strikeouts) are the Twins and Orioles. Focusing on this stat just proves the real reason why we weren't successful this year. A team with good pitching (e.g. the Twins) beats out a team with crappy pitching (e.g. the O's). And, unfortunatley, the White Sox.

drewcifer
09-29-2006, 12:47 AM
And do you know what? There are 16 (count `em!) 16 mlb teams with more strikeouts than the White Sox have as a team this year. Several are playoff bound (including the Tigers, Padres and Mets., with the Yankees at no. 18, only 3 K's short of the Sox), and some that might be playoff bound (Phillies and Astros). The two teams with the best "contact" records (that is, fewest strikeouts) are the Twins and Orioles. Focusing on this stat just proves the real reason why we weren't successful this year. A team with good pitching (e.g. the Twins) beats out a team with crappy pitching (e.g. the O's). And, unfortunatley, the White Sox.

Nice post, bud.

shoelessshaun27!
09-29-2006, 07:21 AM
thats alot, i didn't know that, well any time you got homerun hitters it's going to happen

Frontman
09-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Ok, that's a lot. Other teams have more. No one single stat can be blamed for the Sox missing the post season. Pitching, defense, hitting, bullpen; they all let the team down at different times. When it all works together (or enough key components make up for the others shortcomings) you get wins. When things don't work, or enough of the difference aspects of your team fail, you loose.

So we struck out a lot. I bet even if you had one less strike out per game (159 at time of posting) I seriously don't think it would mean the difference of 7 wins.

Front