Frankfan4life
09-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Thank goodness for rain. :smile:

Viva Medias B's
09-27-2006, 11:19 PM
The Good Lord came through.

Frontman
As I said in the McCarthy treatment thread, I'll give credit where credit is due. Good job, Brandon. (Now if he could get up to 7 innings in a row, I'd be happy.)

How many days to pitchers and catchers report?

Front

ShoelessJoeS
I love birthday victories...

Thanks White Sox!

The Dude
09-27-2006, 11:21 PM

You mean the strong storm system filled with heavy rain.:tongue:

A win is a win! I'd like to see us somehow get to 90 if we can take away a couple from those damn Twins.

Myrtle72
09-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Too bad we needed rain to accomplish that...

but, regardless, yay Sox! Or, should I say Charlotte? I bet Charlotte could beat the Sox starters in a game... :D:

stl_sox_fan
09-27-2006, 11:27 PM
It's spoiler time this weekend. I do not want to see the Twins celebrate at the Sox expense.

DrCrawdad
09-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Um, McCarthy really will need a lot of time to get stretched out...

Myrtle72
09-27-2006, 11:28 PM
It's spoiler time this weekend. I do not want to see the Twins celebrate at the Sox expense.

Yes. Definately. I want to see some good games this weekend. We need to scare the **** outa them.

Brian26
09-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Thankfully they finally called the game so Ranger can stop taking calls on rain-delay theater. I was listening to that crap for 30 minutes in the workout room downstairs, and it was brutal.

JB98
09-27-2006, 11:34 PM
You mean the strong storm system filled with heavy rain.:tongue:

A win is a win! I'd like to see us somehow get to 90 if we can take away a couple from those damn Twins.

We must stop those damn Twins from winning the division. If we win one, that's probably good enough, although a sweep would be nice. :D:

DumpJerry
09-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Just what is Brandon's problem? Didn't he know we're supposed to lay down to the Tribe's bats? Look at the pitchers who gave up 20 runs the previous two nights, those are team players!

Lip Man 1
09-27-2006, 11:38 PM
I recently read something (I'm sorry I can't remember where) that said Santana started his last regular season game last night. The Twins are saving him for game #1 of the ALDS.

Lip

Myrtle72
09-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Lip - I read that too. Again, not sure where.

Britt Burns
09-27-2006, 11:49 PM
I know this will set off a wave of controversy...McCarthy should have been starting, look what he can do etc., but for now it was nice to see a cople of younger Sox pitch a great game. We'll be back next year, better than ever...

PeteWard
09-27-2006, 11:50 PM

A bit late for him to finally make an appearance, don't you think? :angry:

Frankfan4life
09-27-2006, 11:52 PM
We must stop those damn Twins from winning the division. If we win one, that's probably good enough, although a sweep would be nice. :D:Is there any way we can get rain in the Twinkiedome?

SluggersAway
09-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Yes, the young one's come alive. Keep up the energy!

Myrtle72
09-28-2006, 12:09 AM
A bit late for him to finally make an appearance, don't you think? :angry:

Or her. :cool:

Grzegorz
09-28-2006, 05:46 AM
We must stop those damn Twins from winning the division. If we win one, that's probably good enough, although a sweep would be nice. :D:

McCarthy's performance was nice and gets me anxious for spring training to see him work for his spot in the rotation.

As for this weekend, put out all the weapons and do your best to sweep the Twins. Keep them from winning the division.

Hopefully, the Twins are out in the first round.

wassagstdu
09-28-2006, 07:30 AM
The grounds crew was in a big hurry to get the tarp out with the bases full of Sox. I wouldn't say the rain saved the Sox, I think it may have saved the Indians.

34 Inch Stick
09-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Thankfully they finally called the game so Ranger can stop taking calls on rain-delay theater. I was listening to that crap for 30 minutes in the workout room downstairs, and it was brutal.

I had the treat of hearing Cowley complain about having to wait out the rain in the pressbox and it making him wonder why he didn't go to law school. Joe, your most difficult day of work as a reporter is easier than your easiest day in law school would have been. Enjoy your free food, your late winters in Arizona and you summers spent watching sports.

palehozenychicty
09-28-2006, 09:37 AM
I guess there isn't much to say, other than Brandon seemed to throw well and the Sox got a win. I'll take it!

salty99
09-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Nice first save Charlie!

Lip Man 1
09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
34:

OK who are you and what are you doing in the press box in Cleveland?

Time to come clean now.

Lip

kitekrazy
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM

Ha Ha! I heard someone on the phone with a conspiracy theory. It was....the reason why the Sox didn't make it this year was because the city could not prepare for another World Series victory.

I don't think there's enough crack in the world for most humans to come up with something like that.

kitekrazy
09-28-2006, 02:24 PM
McCarthy's performance was nice and gets me anxious for spring training to see him work for his spot in the rotation.

I hope Kenny doesn't pull a "surrender" trade with one of the current starters just to make room for McCarthy. Keep em all and have them compete for the rotation. The odd one out becomes a setup man.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Kite:

I actually have no problems with your comment. The way guys get hurt you need quality insurance, however, from what I've been seeing the issue is 'payroll' whatever that means.

I don't fully understand that logic myself, not when you've drawn almost 3 million and the payroll is at a nice 100 million. It may have to do with arbitration cases raising it and the Sox having to carve out room because of it.

Lip

voodoochile
09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Kite:

I actually have no problems with your comment. The way guys get hurt you need quality insurance, however, from what I've been seeing the issue is 'payroll' whatever that means.

I don't fully understand that logic myself, not when you've drawn almost 3 million and the payroll is at a nice 100 million. It may have to do with arbitration cases raising it and the Sox having to carve out room because of it.

Lip

There's no tax this year, right? So at least it won't double the money of any signings like it would have this year. So, at least we got that going for us...

Hitmen77
09-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Kite:

Lip

But, aside from payroll, trading a starting pitcher could be what it takes to land a solid LF or SS, bullpen help, and/or a leadoff hitter.

Keeping McCarthy as an ace-in-the-hole 6th starter didn't help us this year.

Hitmen77
09-28-2006, 03:00 PM
There's no tax this year, right? So at least it won't double the money of any signings like it would have this year. So, at least we got that going for us...

What do you mean? What tax?

voodoochile
09-28-2006, 03:03 PM
What do you mean? What tax?

Payroll tax for rosters above a certain dollar value (I can't remember the number). Yankees have been paying it for years.

Hitmen77
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Payroll tax for rosters above a certain dollar value (I can't remember the number). Yankees have been paying it for years.

Do you mean the so-called luxury tax that the Yankees have been paying for the past few years? I didn't know that MLB did away with that.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2006, 05:54 PM
I don't think they did.

Now the Yankees will not be paying as much luxury tax as in past seasons because they are in the process of helping to finance a new stadium. MLB makes a proviso for franchises who are building stadiums that their luxury tas assesment is lowered. The justification is that a sizable portion of their income is already allocated to the stadium construction.

Regarding the White Sox, as long as the current ownership is in place they will never go above the tax threshold.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't think they did.

Now the Yankees will not be paying as much luxury tax as in past seasons because they are in the process of helping to finance a new stadium. MLB makes a proviso for franchises who are building stadiums that their luxury tas assesment is lowered. The justification is that a sizable portion of their income is already allocated to the stadium construction.

Regarding the White Sox, as long as the current ownership is in place they will never go above the tax threshold.

LipThe luxury tax is still in place for 2006. However, the escalator provisions, which increased the rates for repeat offenders, stopped in 2005, so the rate for 2006 is the same as last year.

Of course, the CBA expires in December of this year. I don't know whether there are any big bones of contention, but I haven't heard of any. It will be interesting to see if the uncertainty of the new CBA will have a chilling effect on teams pursuit of free agents. They might tend to wait until after the new CBA is signed.

voodoochile
09-28-2006, 07:21 PM
The luxury tax is still in place for 2006. However, the escalator provisions, which increased the rates for repeat offenders, stopped in 2005, so the rate for 2006 is the same as last year.

Of course, the CBA expires in December of this year. I don't know whether there are any big bones of contention, but I haven't heard of any. It will be interesting to see if the uncertainty of the new CBA will have a chilling effect on teams pursuit of free agents. They might tend to wait until after the new CBA is signed.

I thought part of the past CBA eliminated the tax in the final year or the contract as a give to the player's union.

If not, I apologize. I admit I was going off of memory.

caulfield12
09-28-2006, 07:28 PM
I thought part of the past CBA eliminated the tax in the final year or the contract as a give to the player's union.

If not, I apologize. I admit I was going off of memory.

The threshold would be $120.5 million in 2004, $128 million in 2005 and $136.5 million in 2006. Teams that pass the threshold more than once could be taxed up to 40 percent.
source: mlb

Yankees, I think, are the only team in this range.